• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
33-Hit-Combo said:
Having just hit up China, how far through am I? I hear there are only 2 proper hubs, and am quite worried about the game's length.

1/3, possibly less, through the game. As zoner said you'll think its over when really you've got plenty ahead.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm twenty hours in, and I haven't even done any quests in China yet. I've probably spent an hour or two total on the Steam browser, but I'm taking my time with the game. I didn't leave Detroit until I was certain that I searched every nook and cranny.

chris121580

This is quite simply one of the best games I've ever played. Game is just incredible. I've put in around 15 hours in the game already and have just gotten to China. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the main quest. It's incredible how in depth the side quests are.

Heavy said:
Anyway, 28 hours in (about 1-2 were alt-tabbed so around 26) and I'm about to hit Shanghai! lol can't wait!

How is this even possible? I didn't even rush and I was 19hrs for the entire game, you're not even halfway through.

Wanace

ThoseDeafMutes said:
How is this even possible? I didn't even rush and I was 19hrs for the entire game, you're not even halfway through.

Must be a LOT of dicking around.

I'm at 18 hours according to Steam and I haven't fought the second boss yet, but I think I'm about to.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
EatChildren said:
I'm still too early in Xenoblade to judge it, but majority of the media (wait, I'm the media...) will ignore it on the principle that it's a Wii game, and a JRPG. Though it really only has Skyward Sword to go against it in the Wii specific catagories.

Skyrim will be the RPG darling for this year. Near everyone I know is already going apeshit over it. Witcher 2 will get ignored as its a PC only game (for the time being), and Deus Ex will probably get overshadowed by the aforementioned Elder Scrolls.

I'd assume Uncharted 3 to be another media darling, but I dont think it will be. Portal 2 will be in a good running for GOTY, and I think Gears 3 will be too if it ends the series on a strong note.

EDIT: For me personally, DE:HR will be in my top five for the GAF GOTY votes, possibly top three.
Media Darlings for the year will probably be SWTOR, BF3, and Skyrim.

UC3, Diablo III, AC:R will be contenders, but I think they'll get pegged as solid sequels. But not the jump previous entries in the series made.

Zelda will be Zelda. Some will love it, others will hate it and wish its more similar to their favorite in mainline entry.

Gears and RAGE are the two I can't quite pin yet. Gears if it fixed everything will be a good contender, while I could see RAGE hitting the same note as Borderlands.

I don't really see Deus Ex, Dark Souls, or Witcher 2 having a fighting chance for much with most of the media. But I think these three are going to preform exceptionally well on Gaf's list at the end of the year.

Right now, Its definitely the best game of the year for me, though its not particularly saying much.... Its the only game that came out this year that I played to completion. Heh. Even still, its one of the best experiences I had for the generation if I say so very preemptively.

Amir0x

Banned
I am taking so my time with this game.

Unfortunately I'm gimped with a shit 360 version until Amazon ships my PC copy on Monday, but it has definitely made me pleased with what I can expect. I realized this was Deus Ex when I dicked around at the very start and the result was all the hostages in the warehouse were dead when I arrived.

I was all "oh...right. I forgot about games with actual freedom." It was like waking up from a terrible nightmare and suddenly we're in a better tomorrow where all games know the value of nonlinearity.

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
toasty_T said:
Oh man, the
laser
room would have been way more interesting if I didn't have the cloak aug.
I had full cloak and didn't realize it worked on that until the end of the game... Read a random load screen and was like FFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffff

wutwutwut

Docpan said:
What is the replay value, if any? Any bonuses for a second time through?
Different playstyles, different approaches, different decisions, different outcomes. The game has plenty of replay value.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Awesome rankings

1. Tong
2. Pritchard
3. Malik
4. Crap on the sidewalk
5. Everyone else in the game

Also, I thought it was pretty funny when Windmill hacked into your bank account and gave you a bonus. GEE THANKS. A WHOLE 2000 CREDITS

Man said:
So it's possible to not have the hostages be killed in that first mission?

Of course. Just like it's possible to save Malik by being sufficiently bad-ass, if you get in and defuse that bomb ASAP the hostages survive. If you don't defuse quickly enough... the gas bomb goes off. If you leave it long enough I think it does as well.

Amir0x

Banned
Man said:

I thought when you get a call and he's all "get to the helicopter, the situation has changed and got worse" that it meant the hostages were killed. Because when I played the mission, I found a clear way to get in that hostage room sneakily if I had need to save them. (air duct behind staircase that led to a beam near the ceiling to another airduct that led to their room)

ThoseDeafMutes said:

I think it's because people are fully searching hubs before doing sidequests relevant to specific areas. I'm in the same boat as them, think I'm on about 25 hrs, only just got to China.

Man

I just grinded my way in there taking down every enemy and upending every crate, being a pack rat.

edit: So bomb situation is determined before taking off from Sarif?

pahamrick

Meisadragon said:
Of course, you can disarm that bomb easily.

Here's something I noticed just now since I started my second playthrough: You don't even need to disarm the bomb. Just shoot out the glass canisters on the side of it and the bomb deactivates itself.

anddo0

Stallion Free said:
This is definitely my current GOTY.

Mine as well.. Dark Souls, Uncharted 3 and Skyrim have an uphill battle.

Man said:
I just grinded my way in there taking down every enemy and upending every crate, being a pack rat.

edit: So bomb situation is determined before taking off from Sarif?

From my experience it is. He warns you twice, the second time it's too late. You still have a little time to look around but it's not advised. It's a shame because the npcs have some nice dialogue prior to the first mission.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Of course. Just like it's possible to save Malik by being sufficiently bad-ass

That part was so intense. After playing the whole game so cautiously and carefully, never stirring trouble, I really had to go into desperation mode to save her. It was cathartic.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Man said:
Yup

Either knock out the 3 guards quickly and make your way across the room. Or from where you enter the room. You can go to the bottom right side, move a box, and find a vent. It will take you up across the rafters and then into the room where the hostages are. You have about 30 seconds to disarm the bomb then(Hack it).

The other hostage is the manager with Zeke. Multiple ways to do this. If you want to say no dice to him. You have about 3 seconds to take him out before he kills the manager. Shoot him in the head or stun gun him. He'll be out of the picture. You can also talk him out of releasing the hostage.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
So what specific music you have come across during the game and loved the most out of the rest?

Amir0x

Banned
re: the hostage

if you talk him out he'll meet you later and give you access codes/computer codes for a later mission

god i love freedom

americaneagle.gif

jambo

9 hours in and I'm still in Detroit, loving this game. I've been exploring so much, hacking everything I can and having a blast!

Plus I've been going all stealth in most of the missions, so I can't wait to do a second play through and go rambo!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
54-46! said:
I can't stand the boss fights, really generic bs.
Really? the first one was the worst thing in the world, but the others were laughably easy.

They're badly designed because you can kill them so easily but only with certain 'tactics'

Second boss, shocked them, pulled out heavy rifle, dead within a minute of the fight starting. cutscene
Third boss, fire grenade launcher right at start, stunned, pull out shotgun, walk right up to, shoot 3 times. cutscene
Fourth boss. If you have the right augmentations, shouldn't even BE a boss fight. Shotgun guys. Grenade robots. Auto hacker on terminal. Cutscene

Man

I did
talk the terrorist leader out of killing the last hostage and got my reward later. Didn't really matter much though as I had lvl 5 hacking skill, max hacking stealth etc. Should have killed him.

Sotha Sil

Bazhard said:
Is it just me or do the mouths on the characters start to move like a second before voices actually come out of their mouths?

I played it in French on the PS3 and thought it was a localisation problem, but after playing it in english on the PC I pretty much agree... Just seems off at times.

Amir0x

Banned
Man said:
I did
talk the terrorist leader out of killing the last hostage and got my reward later. Didn't really matter much though as I had lvl 5 hacking skill, max hacking stealth etc. Should have killed him.

already at that point in the game!?

Dang

anddo0

ZombieFred said:
So what specific music you have come across during the game and loved the most out of the rest?

China
after Zhao slips away, and you have to make your way out.

Also
shortly before leaving for Montreal. The music being played while fighting the robots

Bazhard

Banned
Sotha Sil said:
I played it in French on the PS3 and thought it was a localisation problem, but after playing it in english on the PC I pretty much agree... Just seems off at times.
Thank god i thought something was going on with my audio output since im using digital out for my headset, i did a quick search on google and apparently the lip sync in this game is terrible, doesn't bother me one bit i was just scared something was wrong with my tv or headset lol

edit*
son of a bitch i randomly threw a box and it hit a ally AI and he merked me

Man

Regarding the first real boss in the game,
I killed him in eight seconds or so. Two grenades and two rockets.

Enco

Just beat the first boss.

It was very easy. A few frag grenades, some pistol head shots and a gas cylinder from a room in the corner. I died a few times before doing this but it was pretty darn quick. I recommend the laser sight.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man said:
Regarding the first real boss in the game,
I killed him in eight seconds or so. Two grenades and two rockets.
They're honestly all quite easy if you use the environment; they give you everything you need in the room itself. Fire extinguishers stun, barrels everywhere.

3rd boss:
One concussive grenade, two frag mines, a headshot from the revolver and dead.

Last boss, however, made no sense and bugged me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sotha Sil said:
... The ex-marine terrorist from the first mission is not actually a boss? Tought so.
No the three forced bosses are (maybe spoiler, but super obvious from even the trailers)
the aug people from the intro of the game.

anddo0

Enco said:
Just beat the first boss.

It was very easy. A few frag grenades, some pistol head shots and a gas cylinder from a room in the corner. I died a few times before doing this but it was pretty darn quick. I recommend the laser sight.

Two emp grenades, gas cylinder, and maybe 6 rounds from my pistol. The second boss was even easier.

Man

Amir0x said:
already at that point in the game!?

Dang
I have fine combed the whole of Detroit.
Probably 15hours+ on that area since Friday, just got to the next hub. First I upgraded briefcase fully, then full Hacking capture then full hacking stealth. Also got Metal-gear alarm count-down and Icarus-landing skill. All that before going to next hub.

I just bought this and installed.

Should I play the tutorials?

If it matters I didn't play the earlier games in the series, nor do I know much of anything about them.

Top Bottom