• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Kazzy

Ha! That pic is great. I also stumbled upon a conversation in the police station which references Robocop directly, it was nice touch considering the similarities it shares with this.

Is the social enhancer ever required to convince, persuade, or get a certain reaction from a character, or are you always able to do it the "hard way" by choosing the correct responses? Trying to decide if it's worth spending 2 points on that again for my second run.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
epmode said:
The crappy shooting mechanics, sure. The rest of the game is so far ahead of 99% of modern stuff, I'd have to say you're objectively wrong.

I'm with you on that. It's outdated as a first person shooter, but nearly everything else shines, at least the parts that matter. I die a little inside everytime I read a post claiming that DX1 is too old to play.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Amir0x said:
the bigger sin is actually not allowing all boss battles to have a non lethal way out

I keep seeing this but this makes no sense to me from a storyline perspective. If you knock them out non-lethal. they will just keep coming back and fucking up your mission. Also, why would you not kill them? They are clearly threats who have destroyed you once and are in direct employee of the people trying to stop you. Other random people/police/gangs/etc I can see. Adam (and the player) have no qualms against gangs/police/randoms or whatever.

These mother fuckers though? Dust those bitches.

Not saying the boss battle couldn't have been handled better. They could have. Non-lethally though? I don't see it.

Mrbob said:
I think a remake of the original could be potentially amazing, as long as this prequel is successful. I'd love to fill in the time line between Human Revolution and the original Deus Ex with finishing it off in a remake of the classic.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks a remake with these same devs could be amazing. And I hate remakes. This time, I approve. The original won't go anywhere.

epmode

revolverjgw said:
Is the social enhancer ever required to convince or persuade a character, or are you always able to do it by just choosing the correct responses? Trying to decide if it's worth spending 2 points on that again for my second run.
I've found at least one person where the aug is required to get any information. There are ways around this roadblock but you wind up getting a lot more XP from convincing him.

Echoplx

Kintaro said:
I keep seeing this but this makes no sense to me from a storyline perspective. If you knock them out non-lethal. they will just keep coming back and fucking up your mission. Also, why would you not kill them? They are clearly threats who have destroyed you once and are in direct employee of the people trying to stop you. Other random people/police/gangs/etc I can see. Adam (and the player) have no qualms against gangs/police/randoms or whatever.

Not saying the boss battle couldn't have been handled better. They could have. Non-lethally though? I don't see it.

I think it's more to do with the fact that this game offers you choice in EVERYTHING you do and then suddenly there's something you have absolutely no say in. It doesn't make sense.

Also your reasons for it being okay are completely subjective as people may feel differently.

duckroll

Kintaro said:

Story doesn't have to get in the way of gameplay. MGS has made huge efforts into offering alternate non-lethal methods of winning boss fights, simply so there are fun alternative ways to play them, even though it doesn't change the story at all.

lifa-cobex

Glass Rebel said:
7yG70.jpg

rofl

Ha. I still can't figure out the three sea-shells :(

Can anyone help me find Zelazny for the Talion AD quest? I found a butcher shop but nothing there.

I found someone saying to go in the sewers and I can't find anything there either I'm not sure if I'm using the correct entrance.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Treemonkeys said:
Can anyone help me find Zelazny for the Talion AD quest? I found a butcher shop but nothing there.

I found someone saying to go in the sewers and I can't find anything there either I'm not sure if I'm using the correct entrance.
You should have picked up a pocket secretary in the butcher shop that says he has a hideout in the sewers. Go in through the manhole in lower area in front of the Alice Garden Pods. It's the spot where you complete the Corporate Warfare quest, if you did that.

Kazzy

revolverjgw said:
It's funny in MGS3 when you go to great lengths to take down a boss non-lethally, only to have them explode in your face in the next cutscene

Especially the end, trudging through the woods only to have to sneak up on him a SECOND time to get all his goodies! I was so tempted just to forward the clock.

Cutscene inconsistencies really annoy me, it really derailed any interest I had in GTA IV. I haven't seen any here though, yet.

I just arrived in Shanghai for the first time and infiltrated that
building complex where you find out about that hacker, Windmill.
And I can't shake off the feeling I could have gone in from the front door by talking to that policeman. Hmm... this is exactly the kind of game I'll gladly replay!

ExMachina said:
You should have picked up a pocket secretary in the butcher shop that says he has a hideout in the sewers. Go in through the manhole in lower area in front of the Alice Garden Pods. It's the spot where you complete the Corporate Warfare quest, if you did that.

Damn, maybe it's glitched, I think I've already checked there.

I probably looted the pocket secretary before ever getting the quest, not sure what else could have happened.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
One thing I like about this game is that all NPC's are killable, aside from those in specific areas like Seriff. I even killed (c.1)
Megan's mom with a lethal takedown after I finished her quest lol.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Treemonkeys said:
Damn, maybe it's glitched, I think I've already checked there.

I probably looted the pocket secretary before ever getting the quest, not sure what else could have happened.
I actually looted the area under the butcher shop before getting the quest, but there should have been a dead body (w/ the pocket sec on it) that only appears after you talk to Wing.

If he's not appearing then... yeah, it sounds like the quest glitched out on you. :( Lots of people seem to be having issues with Talion AD.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
duckroll said:
Story doesn't have to get in the way of gameplay. MGS has made huge efforts into offering alternate non-lethal methods of winning boss fights, simply so there are fun alternative ways to play them, even though it doesn't change the story at all.

Then you run into gameplay conflicting with the story and it creates the same problem. You can still stun bosses and such in HR, but shooting them/etc at least fits more with what happens after they are defeated than not.

revolverjgw said:
It's funny in MGS3 when you go to great lengths to take down a boss non-lethally, only to have them explode in your face in the next cutscene

This. See also, The Boss.

I see can the complaints and understand them. I also understand why Eidos went this way.

Londa said:
How do you deal with the
two guys at the basketball court for the sidequest with your co-worker?

Eat a candy bar, get two battery cells and punch them both in their fucking face!
Mission complete!

wutwutwut

Linkzg said:
for the PC version, does anyone know what folder your saves are stored in?
I've posted this a couple of times already, but all Steam Cloud games will have saves at Steam\userdata\<user id (a number)>\<app id (28050 for DX:HR)>\remote.

tiff

Banned
Snuggler said:
I'm with you on that. It's outdated as a first person shooter, but nearly everything else shines, at least the parts that matter. I die a little inside everytime I read a post claiming that DX1 is too old to play.
I'd say the game mechanics themselves are pretty dated or clunky, but the ideas behind them are light years ahead of current game design trends.

Londa said:
How do you deal with the
two guys at the basketball court for the sidequest with your co-worker?
I climbed the fire escape on the other side of the alley and tranqed them both.

Just finished the game and watched all the endings. Final playtime was 32 hours.

I really loved it. Definitely in the top 5 of the year so far for me.

3chopl0x said:
Looks like they may be here (28050 is the games appid)

Steam\userdata\<id>\28050\remote
wutwutwut said:
I've posted this a couple of times already, but all Steam Cloud games will have saves at Steam\userdata\<user id (a number)>\<app id (28050 for DX:HR)>\remote.

thanks

also, from the Making Of. Early Detroit, sans yellow, plus monorail:
cmj2N.jpg

1s6tx.jpg

at least I think it's Detroit

I kept beating missions with an "underleveled" character because I would sit on points and not use them fearful that I would choose a shitty aug that I wouldn't use. I had 6 points just sitting there for a while. Got to the second hub and finally spent all of them on 2 person take down, icarus, hacking etc. Feels good man. I really want invisibility though...

Dakota47

I am having a lot of trouble with the fourth boss,
Jaron Namir. My tactic at the moment is to use his AI to my advantage. He seem to want to climb walls when I am on the other side, so what I try to do is get to the wall in the middle and make him keep climbing that. That way I can keep running to the other side after I have blasted him with the laser rifle. I also have two mines in my inventory and I try to pick up stuff in the statues. This way I can wear him down quite a bit, but then he gets one shot in and kills me instantly. I have worn him down to where he is only muscly but I can't seem to finish him.
Any ideas?

Akia

I just bought the Augmented Edition on GMG for $40.

The game is currently downloading on Steam and should be done in 2 hours.

Bazhard

Banned
I fixed the audio problem but now im running into a freezing problem (ps3 version) after the first mission in the game you get like a couple of side missions
the one where you investigate the apartment
when i go around the ally way it freezes, restarted the ps3 and tried it again 3 times everytime it froze in that exact same spot

WTF?

Londa

Banned
heliosRAzi said:
Shoot them. Or
shoot or knock out Tindall and get the information from him directly

was it ok to just shoot them both, or did I need them to tell me the info?

nvm I finished the quest

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Akia said:
I just bought the Augmented Edition on GMG for $40.

The game is currently downloading on Steam and should be done in 2 hours.

Keep us updated. What % is it at now?

SteveWinwood said:
I kept beating missions with an "underleveled" character because I would sit on points and not use them fearful that I would choose a shitty aug that I wouldn't use. I had 6 points just sitting there for a while. Got to the second hub and finally spent all of them on 2 person take down, icarus, hacking etc. Feels good man. I really want invisibility though...

Man, I don't know what I'd have done without leveling up my hacking skills. I got it up to security level 4 ASAP.

Glass Rebel said:
Man, I don't know what I'd have done without leveling up my hacking skills. I got it up to security level 4 ASAP.
I had level 4 and thats about all I upgraded (and one stealth hack upgrade) before I started my point hoarding, so I was fine with hacking.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Dakota47 said:
I am having a lot of trouble with the fourth boss,
Jaron Namir. My tactic at the moment is to use his AI to my advantage. He seem to want to climb walls when I am on the other side, so what I try to do is get to the wall in the middle and make him keep climbing that. That way I can keep running to the other side after I have blasted him with the laser rifle. I also have two mines in my inventory and I try to pick up stuff in the statues. This way I can wear him down quite a bit, but then he gets one shot in and kills me instantly. I have worn him down to where he is only muscly but I can't seem to finish him.
Any ideas?

Use cloak, go near him and fire the heavy machine gun if you have it. Then run. Keep doing that, he'll go down.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Akia said:
Also I don't understand this game's thread title.

"I didn't ask for this" is the opening line in one of DXHR's trailers. "It gave me lemon-lime" is a reference to a funny scene in DX1. Youtube it (or play the gotdamn game).

Akia

Snuggler said:
"I didn't ask for this" is the opening line in one of DXHR's trailers. "It gave me lemon-lime" is a reference to a funny scene in DX1. Youtube it (or play the gotdamn game).

My interpretation is Jensen told a waitress he doesn't want the Sprite she brought for him.

sdornan

Anyone else think it was weird when... (mid-to-late game spoiler)

you are in the sewers in Detroit looking for Sandoval, you go through a door, a cutscene plays where you tell Sandoval that you are taking him back to Detroit - despite the fact that you're already there, and when the cutscene ends there is no door there that you could have gone through. Not to mention those metal blade-arm things that you never see in the rest of the game.

I'm enjoying the game, but I thought that was really messy and reeks of unfinished/cut content. They could have done a much better job cleaning that up.

EDIT:
Okay, so the door is on the side. Still doesn't match up with the cutscene.

Top Bottom