• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Vaporak

Snuggler said:
Is there any in-game explaination of the personality types? I'm not really sure how to apply them to the conversations.

Yeah when you are using the conversation aug it tells you. When the person you are talking to talks the personality type bars fill up with amounts from 1 to 3. Then you get conversation choices that say in them what personality type they are meant to exploit.

Zafir

Meh pretty positive I used my gun in the prologue, meaning all the non-lethal stuff I've done since was a complete waste of time. Dunno if I can be bothered to start over, either. Didn't even realise the prologue counted since you don't have an hud or anything.

zlatko

Banned
So how many side quests are there before your first trip to China? I don't want to leave there quite yet so I can make sure I finish them all up.

I just did cloak and daggers. I did the one with people stealing the drug from the freezers at sarif, and I helped out Megan's mom.

Is there anymore here or can I head out to Hengsha ?

Zafir

3chopl0x said:
It's just an achievement, man. Play the game how you want and don't bind yourself to some stupid 'rule'.
Never said I was going to stop playing it because of it. ;P

It's just kind of annoying. Since I tend not to do second playthroughs, I like to get what trophies/achievements I can on the first one.

zlatko

Banned
Zafir said:
Meh pretty positive I used my gun in the prologue, meaning all the non-lethal stuff I've done since was a complete waste of time. Dunno if I can be bothered to start over, either. Didn't even realise the prologue counted since you don't have an hud or anything.

Wait... so how were you supposed to make it out of some of those situations in the prologue without shooting, just sneak by? It doesn't give you the melee K.O option. If this is true I guess I can just start going guns blazing too then. :/

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Holy crap.

You can carry hacked heavy turrets with you throughout a level and let it just mow down enemies haha. I think it even has infinite ammo.

I love this game.

Relix said:
This game is slowly gaining my interest, especially after I haven't bought a game in 3 months. What is it most like about? Seems like a mix of Half Life and Metroid Prime. Am I right?

It's exactly a mid-point between Metal Gear Solid and Alpha Protocol. It's good.

Zafir

zlatko said:
Wait... so how were you supposed to make it out of some of those situations in the prologue without shooting, just sneak by? It doesn't give you the melee K.O option. If this is true I guess I can just start going guns blazing too then. :/
Sneaking by I think.

It's just I've heard other people not getting the trophy/achievement because they used their gun in the prologue. I dunno if anyone can confirm otherwise.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
whatevermort said:
It's exactly a mid-point between Metal Gear Solid and Alpha Protocol. It's good.
Oh my god if Eidos Montreal's level and gameplay design teams could help out Obsidian with the next Alpha Protocol game that exists in my fantasies, I would die from happiness.

zlatko

Banned
Zafir said:
Sneaking by I think.

It's just I've heard other people not getting the trophy/achievement because they used their gun in the prologue. I dunno if anyone can confirm otherwise.

Bah it's probably true. Also, has anyone else noticed that if you pick to just knock people out and not kill them, that sometimes you'll snap their kneck and they are labeled dead and not asleep? I think that counts against you as well for the not killing anyone achievement. :/

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Pancakes said:
Holy crap.

You can carry hacked heavy turrets with you throughout a level and let it just mow down enemies haha. I think it even has infinite ammo.

I love this game.
You can use it as cover, too.

zethren

Banned
Meisadragon said:
I thought it was a pretty useless Aug. You really don't need that.

No, it's not a necessity but neither are a lot of the augs in the game.

I just feel like it added a nice bit of depth to the conversation system, and the graphs and diagnostics that appear when in conversation with it make it more interesting. It's just simply more interesting than a plain old dialog system, which is what I appreciate about it.

ShaunBRS

zlatko said:
Also, has anyone else noticed that if you pick to just knock people out and not kill them, that sometimes you'll snap their kneck and they are labeled dead and not asleep?
My victims may not have been contortionists in life, but so they all became in death. In a vent.

Also, for anyone who can answer this, might I miss out on any important info/dialogue in China by having subtitles turned off? I turned them back on briefly, but walking around a foreign city not knowing what the fuck people are talking about sort of adds to the atmosphere.

damn that's nice

BeeDog said:
Just got past the first boss and yeah, I have a feeling all boss fights in this game will suck ass.
>Run in room to the left
>Grab ammo and grenades
>Go to one of the pillars
>Take cover while circling the pillar
>Kill the first boss with no problem

iavi

Hey, does anyone know how to get into the office in the basement of the hive? I got into the actual basment using the code one of the guards dropped, but I can't seem to get into the actual office down there. The vent I found leads me to a dead-end, and the actual door doesn't give me an open prompt.

Stallion Free said:
Oh my god if Eidos Montreal's level and gameplay design teams could help out Obsidian with the next Alpha Protocol game that exists in my fantasies, I would die from happiness.

Tell me about it. I actually think that lots of the stuff people have said that they love about DX:HR suggests that they'd really like AP, so it's a shame that they never tried it. It had some dodgy gameplay moments, but the sense of choice was far greater than in DX, and the writing was in another league entirely. Unfortunately, it won't get a sequel where some of of the level/gameplay issues with AP could be fixed and tarted up, because those people didn't play it. Shame.

KAOz

Short bus special
Finished the game. Got quite angry right towards the end though, due to two trophies. I did a complete Stealth & No Kill run for Pacifist and Foxiest of the Hounds. Neither popped, and I can't figure out where I accidently killed someone (since I ALWAYS used the Tranq Rifle or Stun), or where I set off an alarm. (I never got seen or killed anyone in the Prologue either so....)

Or does it count as a kill
if you don't give Van Bruggen a weapon?

Doing it all again, this time on Give Me Deus Ex.

Then for the next run through, I will go gun-toting crazy.

I don't like the stealth system in this game, mainly because the mini map/radar does jackshit. Is there an upgrade somewhere that actually displays a mini map?

PortTwo said:
and also... for the love of god... give me a snap-aim when I'm NOT in cover. I'm sure others have mentioned this but it seems insane that you can be standing there with this bigass sniper rifle, hit L1 and .... nothing happens. I mean it's not even mapped to do anything out of cover – how can you have a spare button mapping in a game like this??
What? You should be able to aim when out of cover. Could do it on the PC with the middle mouse button. Try whatever button gives you iron sights on the PS3 version.
Revolutionary said:
Haha, awesome.

Derrick01

Banned
zlatko said:

Yeah just sneak by. I did that whole section my 2nd time through in probably 10 minutes, sneaking by them all really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The hardest part was actually when you're ready to make a break for the door because it's usually not by cover. I kept thinking someone was going to catch me before I made it through.

Relix said:
This game is slowly gaining my interest, especially after I haven't bought a game in 3 months. What is it most like about? Seems like a mix of Half Life and Metroid Prime. Am I right?

More like the simplified stealth & A.I. from Metal Gear Solid 1 & the shooting mechanics from Quantum of Solace mixed in with hub areas.

Truant

Question for those who have completed the return to Detroit.

Any way to avoid getting Zeke hostile? I saved that dude, he seemed friendly when he gave me the info in the alley earlier on. Now he just attacks me once I enter his apartment.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
zlatko said:

I snuck through it pretty easily... there are a couple times where you have to be very quick to make a move. If you see mercs talking in a group when you first enter... often it's best to make your move quickly and get around them before they break off into their patrol patterns. This helps a lot. Don't worry about picking things up. You can go back through afterwards and pick up all items/e-books when SWAT is patrolling and there's no threat.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Guys I have a question.

Roughly, in percent, how far have I gotten if I just got past the 2nd boss?

1st boss is cake.
2nd boss is tough but mostly fair.
3rd boss is utter bullshit.

DON'T INCREASE THE DIFFICULTY BY CRIPPLING THE PLAYER. IT IS FRUSTRATING AND AWFUL GAME DESIGN.

Evolved1

KAOz said:
Finished the game. Got quite angry right towards the end though, due to two trophies. I did a complete Stealth & No Kill run for Pacifist and Foxiest of the Hounds. Neither popped, and I can't figure out where I accidently killed someone (since I ALWAYS used the Tranq Rifle or Stun), or where I set off an alarm. (I never got seen or killed anyone in the Prologue either so....)

Or does it count as a kill
if you don't give Van Bruggen a weapon?

Doing it all again, this time on Give Me Deus Ex.

Then for the next run through, I will go gun-toting crazy.

Did you knock out any guards and have them (or any part of them) fall into electrified water... or down off a ledge? That will kill them.

jim-jam bongs said:
1st boss is cake.

DON'T INCREASE THE DIFFICULTY BY CRIPPLING THE PLAYER. IT IS FRUSTRATING AND AWFUL GAME DESIGN.
Then you shouldn't have done what you did

The advice about the guards' conversations is good. If you stop and listen, you'll get some background knowledge of the story, yet you'll utterly waste your best chance to sneak around them. Most of the time they talk for 5-10 seconds, which in this game is about all the time you need to get through a room.

Twilight Princess said:
I don't like the stealth system in this game, mainly because the mini map/radar does jackshit. Is there an upgrade somewhere that actually displays a mini map?

Not even trying to be a dick so don't take it as such. But in the time from when you posted that and the time I responded...wouldn't it have been much quicker to just...check?

But to answer your question there is augmentation section dedicated to stealth gameplay. It's quite hard to miss.

jim-jam bongs said:
1st boss is cake.

Should have never taken that Biochip upgrade. That's purely your fault =P

Third boss is easy.....typhoon twice.

jim-jam bongs said:
1st boss is cake.

You don't have to get that upgrade at the LIMB clinic. It was punishment for not paying attention to what's going on in the story... or for being impatient and looking for a quick fix to the glitches.

jim-jam bongs said:
1st boss is cake.

Don't go to shady LIMB cliques!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
jim-jam bongs said:
1st boss is cake.

Sorry to say this, but suck less would you? Pay attention to the game. You deserve what you got if you were "crippled" during the third boss.

KAOz

Short bus special
Evolved1 said:
Did you knock out any guards and have them (or any part of them) fall into electrified water... or down off a ledge? That will kill them.

Nope, saved before every encounter, so IF something like that would happen I could reload. Goddamnit. Well, going to have to try even harder this time.

Evolved1

If I killed a guy by accident (knocked him out and he fell over into electrified water) but reloaded and replayed the section... did I fuck up the trophy run?

Someone commented earlier that such a thing would ruin the run, and I cannot tell if they were being serious... and can't find the post. This thread moves so quickly.

KAOz said:
Nope, saved before every encounter, so IF something like that would happen I could reload. Goddamnit. Well, going to have to try even harder this time.

I'm trying to find out if we even can reload... there was a comment earlier (I think it was Bobsrevenge, who usually knows what he's talking about) that said you couldn't replay a section to fix your mistake. But I couldn't tell if he was fucking with me.

Truant said:
Question for those who have completed the return to Detroit.

Any way to avoid getting Zeke hostile? I saved that dude, he seemed friendly when he gave me the info in the alley earlier on. Now he just attacks me once I enter his apartment.

Nope, you can just taser him though.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I just got to the first boss fight and wow is it awful. Is the best way to kill this guy pick up explosive or poison cannisters and throw them at him? Guns aren't doing shit. This is ruining the fun I was having.

belvedere

Junior Butler
1st real mission question.

Can you go back and rescue the hostages after obtaining the typhoon? I can't find the office now.

Top Bottom