• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

damn that's nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB5Ruw3ujxM

EKN4c.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB5Ruw3ujxM

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I played up to the second boss and after half an hour of trying I had to give up. I can usually do fine until
she hits the power generators. They instakill me every time and I can never seem to escape it.
I now know why people were complaining about the bosses. The first boss went down in 30 seconds for me, this is several orders of magnitude more difficult.

damn that's nice

RoboPlato said:
I played up to the second boss and after half an hour of trying I had to give up. I can usually do fine until
she hits the power generators. They instakill me every time and I can never seem to escape it.
I now know why people were complaining about the bosses. The first boss went down in 30 seconds for me, this is several orders of magnitude more difficult.
pick up the smgs
if you are on pc quicksave often
if you are console i would just suggest hitting her in small burts and sneaking away to regen health

RoboPlato said:

1. Zap her with the stun gun until she dies

2. Typhoon until she dies

3. Get anti-electricity dermal aug

4. Lower difficulty

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
damn that's nice said:
pick up the smgs
if you are on pc quicksave often
if you are console i would just suggest hitting her in small burts and sneaking away to regen health
That's what I've been trying to do but no luck so far. I also just did a 5 hour session so I'm pretty tired after that. I'll try again tomorrow after work.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alright just finished it, according to Steam it took me about 32 hours.

The Good:
+ The way everything comes together: The Combat, the Stealth, the Navigation elements all blend to make a delicious gaming cocktail. It feels like a Deus Ex game.
+ Graphically it can look quite nice, there are some very cool environments. Of particular note are the weapon models which are all great and have some fantastic reload animations.
+ Level design is fantastic, there are plenty of paths through every area and it rewards creative thinking and thorough exploration.
+ The aug upgrade system is well done, there are a lot of meaningful choices. They mostly avoided sticking useless stuff in there.
+ Soundtrack is phenomenal.
+ The story was engaging throughout and well presented.

The Bad:
- The constant feeling that they wanted to make this a smarter more complex game but had to hold back for the COD crowd. Things like removing lockpicking, electronic bypassing, swimming, and limb damage (not to mention regenerating health and bioenergy) all feel like steps down from the original. It lowers player choice in all things and all but removes resource management from the game which was important in both the prior DX games.
- Graphics while good have some rough spots. Character animations are pretty brutal in conversations. On more then one occasion I'd come across a couple of people talking to each other and they'd both be doing the exact same animation loop in perfect sync, looking like some kind of freakish automatons.
- While I like the aug system I think they give out too many Praxis points. I had every single aug I wanted by about the midway point of the game and from then on was just buying things cause I could.
- All 4 endings were pretty weak. Not to get into spoilers but in classic DX fashion you have to make a choice that could shape the future of the world. Unfortunately none of the endings really give you an idea of what the repercussions of that choice ended up being. None of them really tied into DX either.
- The Boss fights were absolutely fucking atrocious. Every single one of them was bad. They feel like they were made by a completely different development team who weren't informed of the kind of game Deus Ex is supposed to be.
- Yellow, yellow, yellow, yellow, yellow. Good. God. I get having a unified colour palette for an area but they really needed to change this up. Maybe pick a color scheme for each hub or something.
- The final level is awful. Again I don't want to get into spoilers, but it feels like something out of an entirely different game.

Overall I really loved the game despite my criticisms above. I'd put it as my second favorite game this year thus far, just a bit behind The Witcher 2. As for how it compares to it's forebearers? I found it to be a lesser game then Deus Ex (which I finished for the umpteenth time just 2 days prior to HR's release. So it's still fresh in my mind), but definitely better then Invisible War.

I highly recommend everyone play it, it's great and huge to boot.

damn that's nice

RoboPlato said:
That's what I've been trying to do but no luck so far. I also just did a 5 hour session so I'm pretty tired after that. I'll try again tomorrow after work.
yes regenerate yourself... it's really only her bomb that does damage

make sure when she's rushing you you never stop running away from her but try and fine time to shoot her too if you have gas grenades those are the best in this fight because they make her stand still

dwebo

Maybe it's because I was also juggling Xenoblade this weekend, but I was forcing myself to finish this by the end. Nonlethal stealth all the way, though I started killing the
zombies
because well, they were annoying and it didn't seem to matter one way or another.

- On the third hub -
LOL, what third hub? Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention towards the marketing, but I thought Montreal was supposed to be a full fledged hub like Detroit and Hengsha. Instead, there were only two, and you revisit them. Misplaced expectations on my part, but bleurgh all the same, especially since everywhere started kinda blending together after awhile (pretty skyboxes notwithstanding).
- On the ending(s) -
Er, you can choose from all four (assuming you took five minutes to find Taggart/Sarif) literally right before the end ? That's... stupid, really stupid. Way to make me feel like my decisions leading to the end had any sort of impact whatso-fucking-ever.

Is anyone else having mouse lag issues? Is there a known fix?

I get some improvement turning off vsync (though it's still not perfect) but then I get some pretty bad tearing.

Swifty

RoboPlato said:
The see through walls aug was pretty good for this one since you can use it to see her while she's cloaking. I ended up just chasing her around while pouring assault rounds into her back. She had a chance to use the Typhoon maybe twice?

damn that's nice

dwebo said:
Maybe it's because I was also juggling Xenoblade this weekend, but I was forcing myself to finish this by the end. Nonlethal stealth all the way, though I started killing the
zombies
because well, they were annoying and it didn't seem to matter one way or another.

- On the third hub -
LOL, what third hub? Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention towards the marketing, but I thought Montreal was supposed to be a full fledged hub like Detroit and Hengsha. Instead, there were only two, and you revisit them. Misplaced expectations on my part, but bleurgh all the same, especially since everywhere started kinda blending together after awhile (pretty skyboxes notwithstanding).
- On the ending(s) -
Er, you can choose from all four (assuming you took five minutes to find Taggart/Sarif) literally right before the end ? That's... stupid, really stupid. Way to make me feel like my decisions leading to the end had any sort of impact whatso-fucking-ever.
well you could say the way you play the game the first time influences your choice if you're attempting to be consistent or true with your actions

Exuro

I'm confused how you guys spent 30 hours on a playthrough. I felt that I scoured each area thoroughly, only missing 2 side missions and still only managed to rack up 17 hours. I didn't do a complete stealth run though so maybe that's part of the reason.

1stStrike

Banned
Exuro said:
I'm confused how you guys spent 30 hours on a playthrough. I felt that I scoured each area thoroughly, only missing 2 side missions and still only managed to rack up 17 hours. I didn't do a complete stealth run though so maybe that's part of the reason.

I did stealth and took my time checking out each area. I went through every nook and cranny of every hub, even going back to explore alternate paths that I could've taken (which usually have more goodies for me to stuff into my invetory) :p

36 hours for me to complete my first run.

KorrZ

Just finished, 29hrs 33 mins. An absolutely fantastic experience all around and my personal GOTY. Looks like Batman, Skyrim etc. will have to fight for the scraps of 2nd place. I somehow messed up Foxiest of the Hounds and missed 1 eBook, but oh well. Second play through it is!

Exuro said:

It said I finished the game in 16 hours. I played nearly that much in one sitting, and still was nowhere near completing it. Steam has done this for other games I've played.

Steam lies.

Yep. Steam messes up the numbers. The best way to check is looking at the achievement section where the timeline of some achievement will NOT make sense. It's easily a 30 hour game whether you complete all side quests or not (Not completing side quests will mean less augmentations, which will mean more difficulty clearing the path without abilities).

RoboPlato said:

Use the magnum. I also have a tip for the third boss. Use the magnum.

Sinatar

Me said:
- While I like the aug system I think they give out too many Praxis points. I had every single aug I wanted by about the midway point of the game and from then on was just buying things cause I could.

Just to demonstrate what I'm talking about here. This was my aug screen at the very end of the game:

dxhr2011-08-2822-42-06vu9d.jpg

Too many praxis points means you don't have to make any meaningful choices in how you develop your guy. You are a master of everything by the end.

Jintor

I was under the impression the tree was harder to climb in the Preview build, but Praxis points are falling out of the goddamn sky right now.

Sinatar said:
Just to demonstrate what I'm talking about here. This was my aug screen at the very end of the game:

Too many praxis points means you don't have to make any meaningful choices in how you develop your guy. You are a master of everything by the end.

Yet you don't have everything by the end! ;)

Sinatar said:

dxhr2011-08-2822-42-06vu9d.jpg

I don't know what you were doing but I was constantly lacking Praxis points. I never even get to upgrade my legs because I was behind on things like hacking and energy. Also, my highest credits was like 12k.

Mindlog

Sinatar said:
- All 4 endings were pretty weak. Not to get into spoilers but in classic DX fashion you have to make a choice that could shape the future of the world. Unfortunately none of the endings really give you an idea of what the repercussions of that choice ended up being. None of them really tied into DX either.
Earlier in the thread some were complaining that the endings went into too much detail and should have been more ambiguous :]

My cons:
- Fuck Foxiest of the the Hounds. I have no clue where I set off an alarm.
- Why do all the panels have their own little quirks? Some panels are hack and done. Others want you to hit X. Others want something else entirely.
- Gun pickups. Either guns need to provide more ammo or the game needs to stop giving me ammo for picking up a gun. You lose a lot of money picking up a gun that gets scrapped as ammo.

RPGs in general:
My distaste for inventory systems (and itemization in general to some extent) can continue. They are immersion killers. How is Adam packing three 5lb protein jugs in his coat? It's not that I hate complexity, but inventories are so goddamn dopey. I don't know why it bothers me so much. I used to love loot whoring. Now I can't get over how silly the whole thing is. For the inventory itself perhaps I would prefer a slot system where some slots are locked off in certain situations. You would not be allowed to bring a heavy rifle into a police station unless it was for a Terminator reenactment. I am happy that HR stuck with an upgrade system as opposed to ME1's stupid 10 iterations for every gun.

Without a doubt my favorite game of the year so far. Square-Enix should be delighted. Eidos Montreal should take a bow.

CaLe said:
How far along in the game am I if I just reached Hengsha ?
I would say roughly 40-60% done. ymmv. void where prohibited.

MiDNiGHTS said:
I don't know what you were doing but I was constantly lacking Praxis points. I never even get to upgrade my legs because I was behind on things like hacking and energy. Also, my highest credits was like 12k.

Some mission decisions provide you with Praxis. Also, hospitals have Praxis as well. If you invest more in clinics than weapons, you can have the amount Salsa has.

RoboPlato said:

heres how i did it: choose a spot in the outer part of the room where you're behind a panel, so you can only be flanked by yelena on the left or the right. Plant frag mines to either side of you and wait for her to come get you. She'll set off a mine and become stunned, that's your opportunity to unload on her (I used SMG). Had to do it maybe three times before she went down.

Cross postin' here, but:

So does anyone think that the next Deus Ex we'll see is a remake of the original? I could see them giving that game an overhaul, given how many new fans Human Revolution could spawn. Hell, work the game over with blue and black instead of gold and black, rerecord the dialog and get McCann to do a more dramatic soundtrack and baby, Square will have themselves a stew goin'.

and before any purists jump on me I fucking love the old soundtrack and voice acting

Skirn

Just got the Icarus Landing System, comes in handy when you're running around in Hengsha. No more clumsy deaths! :lol

Is there a list for all the side-quests somewhere? I don't want to miss out on any.

L00P

Sinatar said:

WTF are you playing on easy? Damn! I didn't get THAT much money and points in my end game

The Praxis thing seems to come from how at the beginning, everything seems like it'll take forever to get, and a lot of aug paths are "gated" at 2 Praxis points, and then each upgrade in that path usually costs only 1.

So early on, you're hurting by constantly saving up 2 points to unlock Legs or the CASIE or Cloaking or Dermal Armor or Smart Vision or Icarus and a bigger inventory would REEAAALLY HELP OH GOD I WANT IT ALL, but by the halfway point you've got most of what you really need, and you'll spend the rest of the game picking up all the neat bonus things you might want, and then by the endgame you're just putting points into the radar stuff and fortify and sprint time because fuck it why not.

So I suppose the solution would have been to either increase the amount of XP needed for more Praxis over the course of the game, or price more stuff at 2 or even 3 points.

Menelaus said:
Just about shat bricks when I figured out that turrets were liftable with the strength aug. WHO DARES STAND OUTSIDE THIS ELEVATOR?

http://i.imgur.com/d5TDh.jpg[img][/quote]
lol i did that same thing, bringing it room to room!

Sinatar

L00P said:
WTF are you playing on easy? Damn! I didn't get THAT much money and points in my end game

Nope, normal difficulty.

I explore everything, hack everything and takedown everyone.

Owzers

Finished the game today...didn't really like it. I could see glimpses of a game i like but overall it left me the same as most games: Rushing through the ending missions hoping that the game would end.

For me, it's a matter of the boss fights especially them bum rushing you, the ending choices that lead to really vague cinematics that don't really show impact on the game world so much as "Change We Can Believe In" rhetoric, and some missions that more or less felt like fetch quests in between the good stuff. I liked being dropped into an area and having to find my way into places more than running back and forth between "open world" ( corridors) hub worlds.

I also liked the hacking mini-game but like with all things, i think it was overused especially if you're like me and enjoy checking out as many doors as possible.

Top Bottom