• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

sp3000

Meisadragon said:
Shalebridge Cradle, right? God, that was scary as hell. Terrific level design and atmosphere, but the rest of the game wasn't as good as Thief 1 and 2.

That's one level you don't forget. I also thought Thief 3 was better than the first two, much better atmosphere and execution.

Is there some sort of high-res mod for Thief 3? Because, you know, I have it sitting in my Steam directory for a year now >.<

Yes and you really should play the game

Sinatar said:
The Bad:
- The constant feeling that they wanted to make this a smarter more complex game but had to hold back for the COD crowd. Things like removing lockpicking, electronic bypassing, swimming, and limb damage (not to mention regenerating health and bioenergy) all feel like steps down from the original. It lowers play choice in all things all but removes resource management from the game which was important in both the prior DX games.

The fact you liked the resource management & wanted limb damage makes me glad few to none are taking your advice :)
I'm just thankful they didn't take every hardcore PC gamers advice & brought back the dice-roll in the hit detection for a more "deeper" game.

If they wanted a more complex game they would have given much more options in weapons & to engage enemies in combat.
They would have completely dropped the predictable & procedural Metal Gear Solid grind stealth system for something more dynamic.

Coxswain

Castor Krieg said:
No, we are not. By the time you reach
Zhao's Penthouse
I had Hacking maxed, all Exploration augs, and I was able to buy full Cloak augmentation, making the game EZ mode, since Cloaking is massively overpowered in this game.
... And that point is about 50-60% of the way through the game, and you're talking about having about 25 Praxis Points as compared to the 50 or so in the screenshot posted upthread, so in our perfect game design theory world, where every Praxis Point is exactly as useful as another, you are by definition "much weaker than" the guy at the end of the game.

Spoilers regarding first boss:

The Barrett fight was stupid. First I tried to shoot him a lot and HE WOULDN'T FUCKING DIE after I emptied like 20 shells from my shotgun into him. So I said fuck it and threw 2 grenades at him and that was it, he went down just like that. So, basically carrying around a small armory like I have been with the intent of feeding hot lead to the bosses is actually a waste of inventory space, because they don't do shit, all I need is explosive weapons like a rocket launcher and some grenades or mines for the bosses. Sigh.

JWong

Banned
I feel like I shouldn't have stealth at all and probably would have had more fun.

Does not killing anyone impact the story
aside from a few missions requesting not to kill anyone
?

See You Next Wednesday said:
The fact you liked the resource management & wanted limb damage makes me glad few to none are taking your advice :)
I'm just thankful they didn't take every hardcore PC gamers advice & brought back the dice-roll in the hit detection for a more "deeper" game.
You wouldn't like resource management and limb damage? I think the former makes for more interesting environment choices, and the latter gives for more interesting combat. Damage isn't dealt linearly and you can have damaged arms for impaired accuracy, or damaged legs for impaired movement. Torso and head damage being lethal.

Though I think the weapon handling in Deus Ex definitely wouldn't fly today. It would be unacceptable to have such gimped weapon use from the start, even if it makes for more interesting character specialization in the original game.

Unknown Soldier said:

The Barrett fight was stupid. First I tried to shoot him a lot and HE WOULDN'T FUCKING DIE after I emptied like 20 shells from my shotgun into him. So I said fuck it and threw 2 grenades at him and that was it, he went down just like that. So, basically carrying around a small armory like I have been with the intent of feeding hot lead to the bosses is actually a waste of inventory space, all I need is a rocket launcher and some grenades or mines for the bosses. Sigh.
I took him out with the
stun gun and revolver
(on normal)

Unknown Soldier said:

The Barrett fight was stupid. First I tried to shoot him a lot and HE WOULDN'T FUCKING DIE after I emptied like 20 shells from my shotgun into him. So I said fuck it and threw 2 grenades at him and that was it, he went down just like that. So, basically carrying around a small armory like I have been with the intent of feeding hot lead to the bosses is actually a waste of inventory space, because they don't do shit, all I need is explosive weapons like a rocket launcher and some grenades or mines for the bosses. Sigh.

Protip:
Always carry 3 grenade or mines for boss fights.

I killed the 1st & 3rd boss literally within 4 seconds,
all by just chucking nades at them immediately.

It's really crappy design that they are so dang hard to take down in normal means (shooting at them or trying to stealth/flank them), BUT are so ridiculously easy by other means (mines & stun guns).

Was there a new patch just released ( not the loading patch) today? Steam was downloading something, I don't think it was syncing my game though.

jackdoe

Unknown Soldier said:

The first boss was also rather easy for me.
EMP grenades and concussion grenades to stun, sniper rifle for the head shots. Killed him quickly on "Give Me Deus Ex" difficulty.

flipswitch said:
Was there a new patch just released ( not the loading patch) today? Steam was downloading something, I don't think it was syncing my game though.
There's supposed to be some message today according to the main menu, but Steam isn't reporting anything new just yet.

Atruvius

Does anyone know why all of my batteries aren't recharging? I have bought every energy augmentation so I have a total of 5 batteries available. The first 2 recharge but the last 3 stay red no matter how long I wait.

Wallach

Rickenslacker said:
You wouldn't like resource management and limb damage? I think the former makes for more interesting environment choices, and the latter gives for more interesting combat. Damage isn't dealt linearly and you can have damaged arms for impaired accuracy, or damaged legs for impaired movement. Torso and head damage being lethal.

I think resource management is a tricky thing. They still have a fair amount of it in this game, and in some ways they are even more strict about not letting you augment your way around it like in the original Deus Ex (regarding health and bio-energy). Locational damage would have been great and is something I hope they bring back.

Though I think the weapon handling in Deus Ex definitely wouldn't fly today. It would be unacceptable to have such gimped weapon use from the start, even if it makes for more interesting character specialization in the original game.

I think this, though, you need to be real careful with. Quite frankly in general I think it is simply bad game design, but there are ways to offer specialization with a weapon beyond what a player has at the start without telling them they couldn't hit a barn without investing points into that weapon's skill. Each weapon type could definitely stand to have a minor investment skill that offers bonuses, or they could have tied the unique upgrades on the weapons to Praxis point investments.

Rickenslacker said:

All that does is STOP you dead in your tracks, kills all momentum & forces you to fumble around the menus until you meet the needed requirements for you to exit out the menu. There is no depth to that.

Also nobody would continuously play with impaired accuracy or movement without immediately going to a menu to correct it, which would again just be a waste of time & would add nothing.

Atruvius said:
Does anyone know why all of my batteries aren't recharging? I have bought every energy augmentation so I have a total of 5 batteries available. The first 2 recharge but the last 3 stay red no matter how long I wait.
Energy bars. Eat 'em. Only one of your batteries recharges on its own.

Wallach

Atruvius said:

A cell will not recharge if it has been fully depleted, the only exception being your last cell. You can partially deplete a cell and have it recharge, though.

wutwutwut

Atruvius said:
That's part of the game's balance. You shouldn't be able to see through a wall then cloak and run silently into a room and knock out three dudes without paying the price for it in energy bars. :)

All that does is STOP you dead in your tracks, kills all momentum & forces you to fumble around the menus until you meet the needed requirements for you to exit out the menu. There is no depth to that.
Not really, that's what the hotbar is for. Having lockpicking/multitools/keys/hacking/door breaking in the first made for more meaningful environment choices. Mostly the requirement to pass, and if you were willing to do so. Maybe you were overloaded with tools, but lacked picks, for instance. I think it offers more diversity than hacking through everything.

Also nobody would continuously play with impaired accuracy or movement without immediately going to a menu to correct it, which would again just be a waste of time & would add nothing.
Not necessarily. What if you were low on health packs? Or maybe you'd rather use the one you have on your torso or head instead to keep you alive instead.

jackdoe

Actually, locational damage could work, IF you keep in regenerating health, i.e. each area can regenerate health on its own. That way, you can make the augmentations more in depth as you can give specific areas more armor than others. Never mind the fact that you can translate this damage system to enemies (take out their legs and arms and then squeeze the quadriplegic for information) or AI routines that let enemies decide which part of your body they want to target.

zychi

Banned
for anyone who is on the fence with this game, and was waiting for a bomba, amazon has the augmented edition for $42 digital download. according to the description it's steamworks too. but i'd google around and find out for sure if that's true.

sp3000

It's almost sad that this exact same argument was used by Ion Storm when they made Invisible War and tried to justify removing the locational damage and electronic multitools.

Rickenslacker said:
Not really, that's what the hotbar is for. Having lockpicking/multitools/keys/hacking/door breaking in the first made for more meaningful environment choices. Mostly the requirement to pass, and if you were willing to do so. Maybe you were overloaded with tools, but lacked picks, for instance. I think it offers more diversity than hacking through everything.

Hacking is a mini-game now though. I would rather play a mini-game like that has goals and rewards rather than play a mini-game with no useful goals and the only reward is time wasting like inventory management.

I do miss melee weapons though. By the end of the original DX I wasn't even bothering to hack or pick anything, one swing of my Dragon's Tooth sword with the Weapon Strength aug maxed was enough to destroy any door in my way.

Not necessarily. What if you were low on health packs? Or maybe you'd rather use the one you have on your torso or head instead to keep you alive instead.

Health packs were removed because the modern gamer doesn't want to waste time searching levels for health packs, managing the inventory to make room for health packs, and using them when injured.

I love the original DX to death but let's face it, everybody bought the auto-healing aug the moment it became available, because you could just hit a button and watch yourself heal rather than fight with health packs. Quite frankly, the health pack is a gameplay mechanic from the 20th century, and we're in the 21st.

Uggh, the 2nd boss would have been so much easier if I invested in dermal armor but seeing as how i was a hacking/stealth dude I never counted on ever getting into an encounters.

I just won with my last EMP grenade and a few shells left in my shotgun (which I've saved exclusively for bosses).

There's a prompt to perform a takedown on the boss but it never works and you take damage. That's some bullshit.

There should be some turrets in that area that you can hack, or a security system that you can engage that goes apeshit while you hideout in a corner. Really big missed opportunity with the boss fights.

Love it. Almost through my second play through. That said, after I hit my most wanted augments by half way, my enthusiasm drops significantly. There are to many choices that don't effect my playstyle in a direct way that I care about.

Another small critisim, is that I hate looking down and just seeing a floating hand. Adam is such a bad ass looking character, and there is already a great looking third person model, that I woukd have loved for him to be present in first person, like in halo. Its such a small thing, but I love it when its implimented.

Sober

Wallach said:
I think cash, virus copies and the convenience of being able to access any system without having to search for a code should be mostly enough. They give out far too much experience on top of that.
I think the hacks are also hand-crafted but some of them are either too easy even at high levels (there are few joke level 4s and 5s) while some are ridiculously elaborate for low level hacks (not sure if the level 1s that are like that are because they are critical quest ones or not). Also, Slows and Nukes were way too easy to get IMO (even if I wasted 1 of every 6 slows accidentally or prematurely) that even with the Hanger18 console (which I would've considered the only real challenge) I just nuked my way to the end.

If they removed XP bonuses for alot of the small things (like takedown/kills) or had it so certain XP bonuses are canceled/mutually exclusive (so you can't gun everyone down then crawl through the vents for exploration bonuses or ghost it and go back to make takedown xp), it might've helped, because those small bonuses start to add up. Or maybe they didn't really care for the people who were going to do it anyway and they balanced the Praxis system on people just finding that one route they wanted to do rather than more hardcore people basically try to map out everything on their first playthroughs (and subsequent ones to farm XP).

Jintor said:
Verbal battles are awesome.

I wish that it wasn't just 'choose this conversation path in every stage of the battle to win' though. It's good that there's a few 'this works on this stage and not on others', but they're not nearly enough.
I wish I knew how they really worked but at the same time it's nice they are bit ambiguous as to how to win them rather than a Red/Blue win option. It's also nice you don't need the CASIE except to help you (I won all the conversation battles as far I can tell according to achievements) so I'm curious as to how people failed to win them or what choices clearly contradict your target's "resistances" (to be fair I was never good at reading people so winning these is maybe worth a bit of a surprise?)

jackdoe said:
Actually, locational damage could work, IF you keep in regenerating health, i.e. each area can regenerate health on its own. That way, you can make the augmentations more in depth as you can give specific areas more armor than others. Never mind the fact that you can translate this damage system to enemies (take out their legs and arms and then squeeze the quadriplegic for information) or AI routines that let enemies decide which part of your body they want to target.

That actually would work.

Unknown Soldier said:
Hacking is a mini-game now though. I would rather play a mini-game like that has goals and rewards rather than play a mini-game with no useful goals and the only reward is time wasting like inventory management.
Guess it depends on your view of the mini-game, but because I found it easy enough to just hack my way through everything I kind of miss the item gating from before. I guess it's also that I didn't have much use for my hotbar anymore. I mean in terms of the actual interaction, between clicking an item on a door/panel, or just clicking every available point in the hacking mini-game, I don't find one more fun than the other. However when you had a resource tied to opening new paths and exploring, sometimes I considered alternatives instead.

Unknown Soldier said:
Health packs were removed because the modern gamer doesn't want to waste time searching levels for health packs, managing the inventory to make room for health packs, and using them when injured.

I love the original DX to death but let's face it, everybody bought the auto-healing aug the moment it became available, because you could just hit a button and watch yourself heal rather than fight with health packs. Quite frankly, the health pack is a gameplay mechanic from the 20th century, and we're in the 21st.
Well it's not like they removed health packs in HR, this was more a locational damage point than a health packs vs regenerating health thing, HR does it really well in that the regeneration is extremely slow so you can't really count on it in fights.

Angry Fork

I'm loooving this game so much. Just got up to the chinese area or something I forgot the name of it it's after the fight with barett. Been playing for like 9 hours straight making sure I do whatever side missions available, taking my time etc. Unfortunately I can't run the game at 60fps when maxed out. I have everything maxed and it's pretty much 30-40fps which is good enough but I do miss the 60fps.

One thing that bothers me, not that much but it's noticeable is the shitty image quality of the videos/cutscenes. I'm sure it's been talked about to death here but is that the result of compression for the 360 version or something? It looks like jpeg quality it's weird. Also I spent like 15 minutes trying to get the basketball in the hoop before I decided to just stack the barrels lol.

zychi said:
for anyone who is on the fence with this game, and was waiting for a bomba, amazon has the augmented edition for $42 digital download. according to the description it's steamworks too. but i'd google around and find out for sure if that's true.
That's the one I got today, I got normal version though not augmented. You activate the key on Steam and then download it on there, it includes all steamworks achievements and stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ThoseDeafMutes said:
You don't get to do that till the closing stretches of the game. The first two hubs you visit (not so much when you come back to them later) you really do get limited a fair bit, then you become more powerful should you choose to unlock the augs that act as "keys". Hacking capture, gas resistance, EMP resistence, throw/move heavy objects and Icarus landing system are metroid style upgrades that let you access new areas. Punch through walls is too but you can use explosives or even your regular guns to achieve the same effect if you're desperate enough to get through one of the doors. Cloak might be depending on how you play with lasers.

The rest of the augs are essentially optional extras - aim stabilizer / recoil compensation, see-through-walls, all of the stealth enhancers, extra inventory space, hacking fortify/stealth, the whole battery tree etc are all upgrades you can shirk if you want, while still being able to go anywhere and do anything.

I think it's fine, because, as I said, it's not till later that this happens usually, and feeling like a badass jack of all trades in the last 90 minutes of playtime is a good thing.

I feel the same way. Sure, by the end of the game you can almost max out everything, but what's wrong with that? Near the earlier parts of the game I had to make some tough decisions about what to prioritize. For my next playthrough, I'll definitely be trying some different approaches and thus picking different upgrades to prioritize. I really don't see a problem with the Praxis system.

Zefah said:
I feel the same way. Sure, by the end of the game you can almost max out everything, but what's wrong with that? Near the earlier parts of the game I had to make some tough decisions about what to prioritize. For my next playthrough, I'll definitely be trying some different approaches and thus picking different upgrades to prioritize. I really don't see a problem with the Praxis system.

There is no real choice. I'm sorry, there simply isn't. By the time you leave the first hub you can have 3/3 Fortify, 3/3 Stealth Hack, probably lvl. 3 or lvl. 4 Hacking. Also, every Exploration aug - High Jump, Wall Crush, Icarus, Lifting Heavy Objects. These are the core augmentations there, and I'm pretty sure you can run through the game from there without a single upgrade past that point.

I don't mind the Praxis system, because I like to min-max my character, but I can see how this can bug other people.

P.S. Deus Ex just jumped to 10th place on Gamefaqs. :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Castor Krieg said:
There is no real choice. I'm sorry, there simply isn't. By the time you leave the first hub you can have 3/3 Fortify, 3/3 Stealth Hack, probably lvl. 3 or lvl. 4 Hacking. Also, every Exploration aug - High Jump, Wall Crush, Icarus, Lifting Heavy Objects.

If you min/max or beeline for certain abilities, maybe you can. You're still missing a lot of useful stuff at the end of Detroit. Whether you call that choice or not is up to you. I found myself debating heavily how I spend my Praxis points early in the game.

Castor Krieg said:
There is no real choice. I'm sorry, there simply isn't. By the time you leave the first hub you can have 3/3 Fortify, 3/3 Stealth Hack, probably lvl. 3 or lvl. 4 Hacking. Also, every Exploration aug - High Jump, Wall Crush, Icarus, Lifting Heavy Objects. These are the core augmentations there, and I'm pretty sure you can run through the game from there without a single upgrade past that point.

I don't mind the Praxis system, because I like to min-max my character, but I can see how this can bug other people.

P.S. Deus Ex just jumped to 10th place on Gamefaqs. :D

I'm one of those people that finds an RPG boring once I'm able to max out on everything, so this really bugged me a bit.

Still didn't break the game for me, but bugged me quite a bit.

thefil

Just started the game, finished the first real mission. I played the original Deus Ex for the first time like 3 weeks ago.

Most of my impressions are negative by comparison so far:
- Moving augmentations into the experience system means there are much fewer interesting environmental rewards to find. Other than experience, is there anything to be found?
- Combining skills and augmentations into one system seems to remove some of the need for choice and balancing of the player character
- Cutscenesssss
- Why am I being punished for playing lethally? Especially with the takedowns, where non-lethal is quieter, faster, and rewards bonus experience.

Also, is there any way to remove objective markers from the minimap?

thefil said:
- Moving augmentations into the experience system means there are much fewer interesting environmental rewards to find. Other than experience, is there anything to be found?

Other than ammo and weaponry and replenishing items, you can find some Praxis kits in the environment.

You can remove the objective marker from the minimap by going to the objectives menu and changing all the missions to inactive.

Wallach

thefil said:
Just started the game, finished the first real mission. I played the original Deus Ex for the first time like 3 weeks ago.

Most of my impressions are negative by comparison so far:
- Combining skills and augmentations into one system seems to remove some of the need for choice and balancing of the player character
- Cutscenesssss
- Why am I being punished for playing lethally? Especially with the takedowns, where non-lethal is quieter, faster, and rewards bonus experience.

You can find Praxis points in the environment as Praxis Kits, as well as weapons, ammo, energy consumables, and lots of information/pass codes.

I don't know why players are punished for playing lethally exactly. It wasn't their best design decision.

glaurung

I've played for a few nights now and here are some quick thoughts:
  • Cutscenes - why oh dear why. I understand that 360 is a backwards piece of machinery, barely able to fit the game contents onto the disc, but why are we being punished for that when playing on PC and PS3? The FMVs look like YT. Bad artifacting, horrendous pixellation. The game is taking up less than one fifth of the disc space on PS3, why not include proper HD versions of the videos? Gah.
  • Lip synch - everybody looks like a damn ventriloquist doll. Especially Adam.
  • Too much XP, too often - you get experience for literally everything. Plus the prompts telling you that are huge and cluttered.
Other than that, the game is awesome. Love the multiple paths to tackle obstacles. Spent a few good hours looting the police station. Which was awesome.

Something else - during the very first mission, you
will be punished for wandering around the offices by killing off the hostages at the mission site.
However you do not really get a warning about that. Are there any similar moments later on?

Reclaimer

If I complete a quest and receive a reward, like a weapon mod, do I just loose it if there is no room in my inventory before I enter into the cutscene where I'm supposed to get that reward?

That's what it seems like right now... Can anyone confirm?

Wallach

Reclaimer said:
If I complete a quest and receive a reward, like a weapon mod, do I just loose it if there is no room in my inventory before I enter into the cutscene where I'm supposed to get that reward?

That's what it seems like right now... Can anyone confirm?

It should drop at your feet, the game will display a prompt telling you as much if it happens (happened to me personally).

glaurung said:
Something else - during the very first mission, you
will be punished for wandering around the offices by killing off the hostages at the mission site.
However you do not really get a warning about that. Are there any similar moments later on?
As far as I know, it kinda happens once more, but it's pretty obvious so you won't get an accidental bad outcome.

Reclaimer

Wallach said:
It should drop at your feet, the game will display a prompt telling you as much if it happens (happened to me personally).
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for!

However, twice I've checked and it didn't drop on the Detroit sidequest for
Lesser evils
. Oh well, not the first bug I've seen. Time to reload an earlier save.

Foxix Von

Just finished up detroit, god damnit boss battles suck. Outside of that though, everything is still amazing.

I was sort of expecting hengsha to be a similar size as detroit but FUUUUUUUU this place is massive and complex. Having a lot of fun so far, even if I'm still a little lost haha.

jackdoe

Sober said:
I think the hacks are also hand-crafted but some of them are either too easy even at high levels (there are few joke level 4s and 5s) while some are ridiculously elaborate for low level hacks (not sure if the level 1s that are like that are because they are critical quest ones or not).
I think that's precisely it. Main quest hacks are easy so that you won't stumble over them. It's the optional hacking that can be hard as hell sometimes.

spekkeh

Banned
Ha I couldn't wrap my head around this game, I kept dying over and over when I was trying to play stealthily. Turns out I was playing it too much like Splinter Cell in that I was trying to silently neutralize every guard, when in fact you just have to slip past them to the mission objective.

<< Dunce.

Game is suddenly a lot easier now.

Wallach

Reclaimer said:
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for!

However, twice I've checked and it didn't drop on the Detroit sidequest for
Lesser evils
. Oh well, not the first bug I've seen. Time to reload an earlier save.

Weird, that's exactly the quest I had it happen on.

Top Bottom