• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

vazel

Banned
Deadbeat said:
Not a guarantee. The reason HR fared so well is because Square Enix didnt interfere with development. If they dont interfere with Thief 4 then we are set. But that ultimately will depend on sales.
Considering how much Japanese developers criticize themselves and think they have to look towards the west I'm sure they'll let Eidos do their own thing and maybe even try to learn from them.

AEREC

Finally finished this game...quick review without spoilers:

+Solid Story throughout the whole game
+Jensen is an awesome character
+Music was great though DX1's was more memorable
+Atmosphere was great as well
+Dialogue was excellent and I really liked the scenes were you had to win an argument
+Solid gunplay
+Densely populated environments (objects)

-Too many subtle Augs
-Too many praxis points, seems like it was almost possible to get all augs.
-Fugly NPCs along with dated graphics
-Too easy

And probably my biggest complaint is that the AI was about as basic as shitty AI gets in a stealth game...someone really needs to reinvent the stealth genre with some more dynamic AI and not this archaic shit of the Soldiers constantly following a certain path.

Overall I loved the game.

USHtJ.jpg

WELL SHEEEEEIIIIIT

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
vazel said:
Considering how much Japanese developers criticize themselves and think they have to look towards the west I'm sure they'll let Eidos do their own thing and maybe even try to learn from them.

Thats basically where Square is at. They've got a raging hard-on for their Western studios at the moment, so I expect them to give Eidos Montreal plenty of flexibility.

cackhyena

EatChildren said:
Thats basically where Square is at. They've got a raging hard-on for their Western studios at the moment, so I expect them to give Eidos Montreal plenty of flexibility.
I am so hopeful for Thief 4 after this game. The positives in this far outweigh the negative. Eidos Montreal has my full attention. I was watching the Rage trailer just released yesterday and thinking, man, this game with those graphics...*squirt*

mug

Quick question - just got the game and my inventory is loaded up all the fucking time. I just made it to Jensen's apt and was wondering if you drop weapons or items in there will they stay? I can't seem to find a storage crate...

RedSwirl

*sigh* Starting to get slightly disappointed by the story.

I just read the e-mails about how
Jensen is adopted
and had to go ahead and read some spoilers about his past. I was really hoping he wouldn't turn out to be some kind of
destined messiah dude
like JC and we could keep this a "grounded" storyline about corporate and political intrigue. That's what disappointed me about the first game so much: Even if that game went to great lengths to ground its story in a complex and "real" world, it's still a bunch of secret society government conspiracy bullshit.

Enco

Jarmel said:
Anyway just left Detroit and now in China. I like the game but there are some flaws with it. The first being the godawful cutscenes. What the hell? Could someone atleast check this stuff before they ship it out. Also character animations during dialogue is pretty horrible and facial details are also pretty bad. Another thing that is absolutely astounding is why they put boss battles in that are combat oriented in nature. "Let's have a whole bunch of ways to play the game then force you to play a very specific way for bosses".
Yes to all those points.

It seems no DX game can ever have good lip syncing or cut scenes.

The atmosphere more than makes up for It though. I've said this before but it's easily the best gaming atmosphere in any game I have ever played.

RedSwirl said:

Jensen is adopted
and had to go ahead and read some spoilers about his past. I was really hoping he wouldn't turn out to be some kind of
destined messiah dude
like JC and we could keep this a "grounded" storyline about corporate and political intrigue. That's what disappointed me about the first game so much: Even if that game went to great lengths to ground its story in a complex and "real" world, it's still a bunch of secret society government conspiracy bullshit.

this is deus ex, dude

RedSwirl said:

Jensen is adopted
destined messiah dude

EKN4c.jpg

cackhyena

Enco said:
I've said this before but it's easily the best gaming atmosphere in any game I have ever played.
Bioshock is pretty alright. And if anything looks to top this game in that department, and also the same genre, it's Prey 2. That game looks all kinds of engrossing as far as atmosphere goes. I do agree that the environments and atmosphere easily make you overlook the faults.

Jarmel

Banned
cackhyena said:
Bioshock is pretty alright. And if anything looks to top this game in that department, and also the same genre, it's Prey 2. That game looks all kinds of engrossing as far as atmosphere goes. I do agree that the environments and atmosphere easily make you overlook the faults.

Oh lord, Prey 2 is hyping me up already and I don't even know when that's coming out.

However yes the game does have a great atmosphere.

RedSwirl

BigJiantRobut said:
this is deus ex, dude

I guess it was inevitable since the original game already established the existence of
the Illuminati
, but I was kinda hoping a prequel could sort of brush past that.

watershed

Banned
I just finished Montreal. The gameplay and atmosphere is still top notch. I liked Montreal better than Hengsha's story missions. But the boss battles really are the worse part of the game, they feel out of place especially in Montreal. I'm also a bit down on how stupid Jensen is. Some stuff is just mind boggling how he doesn't see it coming. But I guess maybe they were going for dramatic irony?

Paches

RedSwirl said:
I guess it was inevitable since the original game already established the existence of
the Illuminati

But they are real....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RedSwirl said:
the Illuminati

And
the Masons, Knights Templar, Area 51, greys, Roswell crash, Majestic 12, etc
:p.

Gattsu25

Banned
I've only done 2 boss battles so far but they were both easy to me.

Boss 1:
1 1/2 combat rifle clips to the face. Boss went down in under 15 seconds on my first try
Boss 2:
Boss charged me at the start so I instinctively let off a typhoon. Boss was running away so I shot her a few times with the pistol and she died

Sadly, both bosses died before I could understand why people became annoyed by them.

EatChildren said:
And
the Masons, Knights Templar, Area 51, greys, Roswell crash, Majestic 12, etc
:p.

If there's one thing I'd like them to retcon out, it's
Roswell and the greys.
Of all the conspiracy oddities they use, it's that which has aged the most poorly since 2000.

Finished it up tonight. Really enjoyed the gameplay, art direction, and music. Didn't like the boss battles, voice acting, and the main story. 8/10

Question about the ending. Which of the 4 is considered canon? I went for the middle option as my main choice and then went back and watched the other 3.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Jarmel said:
Anyway just left Detroit and now in China. I like the game but there are some flaws with it. The first being the godawful cutscenes. What the hell? Could someone atleast check this stuff before they ship it out. Also character animations during dialogue is pretty horrible and facial details are also pretty bad. Another thing that is absolutely astounding is why they put boss battles in that are combat oriented in nature. "Let's have a whole bunch of ways to play the game then force you to play a very specific way for bosses".
I'm spoiled by Uncharted. Never thought cutscenes could feel so well done. The mocap, the voice acting, the little subtle movements that animators miss, etc. all make for a visual feast.

Aside from the bosses and janky controls, I'm really enjoying the game. Though I do wish decisions had more impact and that there were more augs and side quests.

And if it's a problem with too many piraxes, just don't use any and get that cheesement then. :p I don't really consider it a flaw. It does suck that you can't ger more individuality though.

Enco

artwalknoon said:
I just finished Montreal. The gameplay and atmosphere is still top notch. I liked Montreal better than Hengsha's story missions. But the boss battles really are the worse part of the game, they feel out of place especially in Montreal. I'm also a bit down on how stupid Jensen is. Some stuff is just mind boggling how he doesn't see it coming. But I guess maybe they were going for dramatic irony?
Oh yea I forgot about his stupidity.

After the hacker stuff (first mission), I was surprised to see that he was surprised when he found out that he was
being controlled. I thought the scared look and help me line would give that away

Quick question for pacifist run: Other than the prologue part of the game, I havent done any lethal kills other than one boss so far, do the prologue kills count?

CaLe

nataku said:
Has anyone else come across a HUD glitch that puts it... off center?

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558666021238468403/D07F3EFE8686A14651B29714A2DBDA0679CA168E/

Changing resolutions didn't fix it, nor did changing aspect ratios manually to 16:10 (1920x1200). I guess it doesn't really matter since I was able to load a previous save that was pretty close to where I was, but still. Knowing a solution to it would be nice in case it happens again and I can't load a previous save without losing a ton of progress.

I did. Going back to the main-menu and reloading fixed it for me.

Coxswain

Just finished off my second playthrough. First one was all-stealth, no-kills (messed up in the pre-aug phase though, so no achievement), second one was (meant to be) a straightforward shoot-em-up character. Both times I raised Hacking and was generally pretty thorough in how I went through the levels, exploring and hacking things.

It's a really great game, but I found the cracks started to show a little bit on my first playthrough, and were a lot more noticeable on my second. Even on the first playthrough, it really seemed like you were getting rushed through the story as soon as you started the Tai Yong Medical mission. Not being able to
go back to the Shanghai hub to regroup, sell off excess items, and/or restock on the stuff you stashed away there, before being whisked off to Montreal (another sizable mission in its own right)
kind of made it feel like someone cut the brakes on your video game. And then when that's over,
you go back to Detroit
, only
you can't get into either the police department or Sarif Industries, so other than the two short sidequests - one of which doesn't trigger if you don't check Jensen's e-mail at work in the time between Sarif telling you to go to Shanghai and the time you go to Shanghai - there's really nothing to do besides doing a quick inventory restock and heading off after Taggart/Sandoval.
And there's similarly little to do in the section after that, before you get shuffled off into the lengthy endgame sequence.
This was all exacerbated on my second playthrough, because once you've already learned how to get from point A to B on the hubs without stopping to check your map at every intersection, there are really only two or three different things you have to do in each of them before it's time to trigger the final mission, and only three sidequests in each place. When you finally get to come back to them,
the police department and Sarif Industries are closed off in Detroit, The Hive and Alice Pod Gardens are closed off in Hengsha, there's even less to do in the main plot before you get whisked away again, and there are only two sidequests in each area - all of them very, very short.

This isn't really all bad, though - it's just a shift in mindset. What I was expecting (and what the game seems like when it's new to you and you're still exploring and learning your way around) was a game structured like VtM: Bloodlines, where the hubs are the 'main' area of the game and all of the quests/missions basically branch off of them. Instead, it's basically a linear mission-by-mission game, with a few points where you can do a limited amount of freeplay in a 'town'. There's nothing wrong or lesser about the latter approach, really - but you can't help but be disappointed if you thought you were getting the former.

As far as the game's design goes, I think overall it was really well done and don't have any huge complaints, but there are still a few quibbles:
- Hacking is too good. It's a pretty fun minigame (like a quicker, simplified version of the Matrix in the Genesis Shadowrun), and I like how much you can do with it (shutting down security or locking enemies out of the alarm system, getting into every room, safe, and locker you can see, controlling turrets and robots - fun stuff), but the rewards you get out of it are fucking unreal. There are, to the best of my recollection, six of those giant spider-walker robots in the game, that you're meant to fight (if you're doing the whole fighting thing, anyway). As the toughest non-boss enemy in the game, you get a hefty 250 XP for killing them. Meanwhile, there are probably twenty or thirty places in the game where you can hack something carrying a datastore with +200 XP - meaning that you're getting a minimum of 225, and upwards of 300 XP, just for opening a door/safe/storage locker (and many, many more with +50 or +100XP). That's maybe just a little too lopsided of a distribution to really be called balanced. Hell, Jensen's work computer (which I'm pretty sure you can hack twice) is only a level 3 system, and yet it contains two datastores that each give +250 XP, meaning that his system alone is worth 575 XP, or 1150 XP if you can actually do it twice. So to get equivalent amounts of experience, you can A) kill 115 human enemies, or B) hack one computer twice. It's kind of absurd.
And, of course, that's not mentioning any of the other bonuses you get from hacking, like the tons and tons of cash, or any of the weapons and ammo stores that are only accessible by hacking, or the easy paths to Ghost/Smooth Operator bonuses that it unlocks. Playing the game without putting points into Hacking probably raises the game's difficulty level by a lot more than the actually difficulty settings do.

- The selection of augs for a combat-focused character seems a little anemic/weak. To be fair, a large part of the advancement of a combat-focused character is in the upgrading and development of your weapons, so some of that can be forgiven, but it still feels like a really underdeveloped path. To put it one way: I can put points in augs that are designed to let me explore, and then I can go just about anywhere, lifting heavy things to build platforms for myself, busting through weakened walls, breathing poisonous gas and walking across a 100,000 volt electrified floor, jumping 10 feet straight up in the air, falling from any height without ever taking damage, or even seeing through walls to find out where the good shit is hidden. I can put points into augs designed for hacking, and then I'm fuckin' Zero Cool, shutting off lasers and opening every door and reading every e-mail and taking control of robots and turrets and getting all that crazy shit you unlock when you hack everything in sight. I can put points into augs that are designed for stealth, and then I'm some sort of Ghost Robot Ninja Savant, turning invisible and then sprinting full tilt right through a room of soldiers without them ever noticing a damn thing.
But if I want to put be a stand-and-fight badass soldier, these are my options: I can put points into augs that protect me from the effects of all grenades but frags - cool, but a pretty big point expenditure for something that comes up so infrequently. I can eliminate the recoil from weapons - legitimately a very cool upgrade, although it rarely comes up if you're just popping out from behind cover to deliver a headshot. I can eliminate the accuracy penalties caused by moving - or I can install a laser sight onto almost every weapon in the game, that performs that exact function, only much, much better by eliminating inaccuracy entirely. I can give myself a shmup-style 'bomb' attack that kills everybody around me - except if I'm not standing in the middle of a crowd, it's only going to pick off a few dudes, at which point I might as well just headshot them anyway. Finally, I can put points into augs that reduce the damage I take - so that instead of surviving for two seconds under fire, I now survive for three and a half (oh, and a close-range hit from a shotgun will still one-shot me).

It's not that you can't become a killing machine - between weapon upgrades and recoil elimination, you can become a deadly gunman. But no matter what you do, you're still incredibly frail, and so there aren't really any viable combat options in the game other than to treat it as a pure cover shooter, and just not get hit in the first place. Dermal Plating should have gone up another level or two, and/or there should have been an active version that reduces the damage you take drastically in exchange for draining your battery - considering how quickly you go down in this game, a damage reduction of 90% really wouldn't be all that unbalanced. They also could have put in a series of augs that increases the maximum that your health will regenerate to, all the way to 200. It's really too bad they didn't, because 1) adding in more augs would mitigate the current situation where, by the end of the game, you've basically got everything that's useful to you and half of the stuff that isn't, and 2) because it would be really cool if you could get as good at being Rambo as you can get at being Grey Fox.

Man, I only meant to gripe for a little bit and then talk about all the cool stuff, but this post is already super long :( I probably look like I didn't even like it.
It's still a really great game, though; I think this is the sort of thing where the quality of the game is so high that the places where it falls down stand out even more than they would otherwise. I think I'll probably give the game a break for a while, though - next time I think I'll do a pacifist, all-stealth, no-hacking playthrough, though, since I think those parts of the game were the most fun. It kind of makes me want to give the original Deus Ex another shot, too, but then I got that game in 2003, tried to play it about once a year on average since then, and have never made it past the second enemy. Something about the way it plays is just video game Ipecac to me, I guess, which sucks since it looks like there's so much about it that's actually cool.

Derrick01

Banned
EatChildren said:

As they should. Other than IO, Eidos is hitting it out of the park this gen.

Though SE/Eidos really dropped the ball on buying Rocksteady, they should have done it after how well AA did as an Eidos published game.

Top Bottom