• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Zeitgeister said:
It has some uses during the game. Mostly just for getting to places or items you can't reach through other means though. But there is really no reason NOT to buy the upgrade, just like the Icarus landing. (which will save you from death by fall quite a bit. Or maybe that's just me. :p )

I've actually found the Icarus landing system quite useful. Especially in
Hengsha
I used to for a number of different situations. Don't forget, you can fall while cloaked and you can stun people below you by holding down the attack button as you land.

Xater

Ok finished the game today after a 3 day marathon session. Absolutely fantastic. This game is truly worthy of the Deus Ex name. So far my GOTY. This also makes me optimistic that Eidos Montreal can deliver a great Thief 4 and hopefully also another Deus Ex game down the line.

Mœbius

mxgt said:
Took me a few times to
save Malik
as non lethal but damn did it get my heart racing
Oh man, that was probably the toughest section for me. I hope I did it properly for my non-lethal playthrough. I had to restart a bunch of times because
the splash damage from the mech explosion killed one or two of the guards I had knocked out. I must have walked around the section for 5 minutes after the battle ended to triple-check the Zzzz's for each enemy

Enco

Is the jumping aug useful?

I saved and tested it out. It was fun but not sure if I would ever need it since you can usually pile stuff up if you want to get high.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tanolen said:
Get the typhoon upgrade, you can two shot every boss with it.
Yep, after the second boss, I decided to get the typhoon, and I've been hoarding typhoon ammo since then. Can't wait to end the subsequent bosses with it. :p

Xater

Enco said:
Is the jumping aug useful?

I saved and tested it out. It was fun but not sure if I would ever need it since you can usually pile stuff up if you want to get high.

I used it quite often. It all depends on you playstyle though.

One of the best things about the game is how certain augs you'd expect would just be used in rare situations are actually used throughout the game. This must have taken them an incredible amount of time to design. The lift heavy objects, high jump, break walls, Icarus landing, double takedown... when I saw these the first time I checked out the augmentation menu I figured they'd just be for the rare situational use like with every other game that uses this type of skill upgrade, but it turned out to be the complete opposite. Fantastic design...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Heavy said:
One of the best things about the game is how certain augs you'd expect would just be used in rare situations are actually used throughout the game. This must have taken them an incredible amount of time to design. The lift heavy objects, high jump, break walls, Icarus landing, double takedown... when I saw these the first time I checked out the augmentation menu I figured they'd just be for the rare situational use like with every other game that uses this type of skill upgrade, but it turned out to be the complete opposite. Fantastic design...

That's what astonishes me the most about this game. I've gotten some augs that I thought I'd never use (but really didn't know what else to get), and I've ended up using it a lot.

To be honest, it makes me want to play the game a second time, and plan my character differently.

Xater

Heavy said:

Totally agree. I often encountered situation where I was thinking "If only I had aug x right now, then I could do this thing". For me that was mostly ICarus landing, because I did not get that aug at all.

Also:
You can save Malik? while playing that did not sound like an option. Shit, I should have tried that.

syllogism

You should be getting ALL augmentations that allow accessing alternate paths, because unless you are speed running, you'll be able to afford everything you want eventually anyway. In fact, you should be prioritizing them so you don't miss out on anything in the first hub. Even if you technically don't need the punch through walls one, it's pretty easy to miss the cracks without the yellow outline provided by the aug.

Tanolen said:
Get the typhoon upgrade, you can two shot every boss with it.

How does the Typhoon work exactly? Do you just get close to the boss then trigger it? I haven't picked it up yet. I might grab it during my 3rd playthrough/hard mode run.

I've been using the Revolver and Explosive Rounds upgrade for bosses so far and its worked quite well.

Wallach

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
IMO one of the most useful augs in the game.

Agreed. Just remember to get Icarus sooner than later because you'll fucking kill yourself all the more often trying to explore with it. That is pretty much the entire reason I got Icarus as early as I did.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Xater said:
Totally agree. I often encountered situation where I was thinking "If only I had aug x right now, then I could do this thing". For me that was mostly ICarus landing, because I did not get that aug at all.

You didn't get the best augmentation in the game?!

My personal top three were,

1. Icarus Landing System
2. Reflex Booster
3. Cloaking

Icarus Landing is fantastic. It saved me from accidental deaths, made available certain routes and let me quickly escape enemies by jumping down away from them.

Enco said:
Any certain situations?

I think I'll upgrade it next.

There's a countless number of areas where you can reach goodies and hidden passages with it, which would otherwise be impossible or very difficult to reach. It's just that useful. As someone mentioned earlier, combining it with the landing aug makes stealth runs and avoiding combat so much easier.

Enco

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
There's a countless number of areas where you can reach goodies and hidden passages with it, which would otherwise be impossible or very difficult to reach. It's just that useful. As someone mentioned earlier, combining it with the landing aug makes stealth runs and avoiding combat so much easier.
Ah cool.

Will definitely get it next.

I had to punch that asshole bar tender in The Hive. After I failed to
get him to let off the woman who owed him
. Didn't manage to loot him though.

tiff

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
Crysis 2's version of choice is: would you like door 1, door 2, or door 3? HR is more like: would you like door 1 or would you like to look all over the place in case there are a bunch of other doors around here somewhere?
Ah, I wasn't sure if we were just talking 2 or Crysis in general. I've only played the first one.

thetrin

Kyouji said:

1. Icarus Landing System
2. Reflex Booster
3. Cloaking
Agreed. Icarus and Cloaking are fucking awesome.

Darkkn

I really don't like the fact that only one battery bar regens automatically. Worst is when you have two bars of juice and see a wall to punch thru, but don't because it uses the non-regen battery :( Would be better if regen would work for first three bars of battery with increasing regen time for second and third bar.

Scumbag Deus Ex; Give awesome augs, discourage the usage :/

I used the typhoon and the revolver on the second boss.. I found it to be much easier than the first boss.

two typhoons and a couple of headshots and #2 went down.

Exuro

Spike6663 said:
Yeah! Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I can't see where/how they could slot DLC into this game.
They could do DLC very easily. Add a new npc that has a new quests that sends you to a door that was originally "unopen-able" that sends you to a new area. Or if they were amazing they would add a new hub zone.

Darkkn said:
I really don't like the fact that only one battery bar regens automatically. Worst is when you have two bars of juice and see a wall to punch thru, but don't because it uses the non-regen battery :( Would be better if regen would work for first three bars of battery with increasing regen time for second and third bar.

Yeah, that's my one major beef with the game, mechanics-wise. It makes getting the quick recharge augs more attractive than extra bars.

Also, for anyone that doesn't have the pre-order mission and is pretty far through the game:
how does the lack of the extra mission play out in the game, does Tong just instantly give you the ship's name when you see him after heading back to Hengsha?

Exuro said:
They could do DLC very easily. Add a new npc that has a new quests that sends you to a door that was originally "unopen-able" that sends you to a new area. Or if there were amazing they would add a new hub zone.

And I would buy it like a complete whore.

Funny the game says an important message will appear today (this is on the opening scroll bar on the menu).

Kyouji said:

1. Icarus Landing System
2. Reflex Booster
3. Cloaking
Super vision needs to be in there for me. I ran into a bug late in the game that made the skill not work (until I restarted), I felt so naked without it.

As for the jump aug, if nothing else get it before the last area at least, it makes that bit a lot easier. Also any level with a container theme is an absolute blast with it. Container levels are woefully underappreciated. I wish I had gotten it earlier, jumping on top of signs and shit for no real reason is way more fun than it should be.

Kyouji

Danne-Danger said:
Super vision needs to be in there for me. I ran into a bug late in the game that made the skill not work (until I restarted), I felt so naked without it.

It's definitely a nice augmentation, but for my playstyle, it was far from being required.

Danne-Danger said:
As for the jump aug, if nothing else get it before the last area at least, it makes that bit a lot easier. Also any level with a container theme is an absolute blast with it. Container levels are woefully underappreciated. I wish I had gotten it earlier, jumping on top of signs and shit for no real reason is way more fun than it should be.

My first two augmentations were the Heavy Lifting one and the High Jump; never regretted either.

Derrick01

Banned
Exuro said:
They could do DLC very easily. Add a new npc that has a new quests that sends you to a door that was originally "unopen-able" that sends you to a new area. Or if they were amazing they would add a new hub zone.

I agree this could use more sidequests but the problem with adding anything substantial is that it'll break the balance more. A few of us ended our first playthrough with every praxis point except around 10, which only leaves 1 or 2 augs empty and another couple not maxed out. Sidequests would give us a few more and a whole new hub would probably let us max out everything.

Though I guess you could use the argument that since you already end up with almost everything by the mid point of the game, what harm could come from completely maxing out?

i make every other upgrade a hacking upgrade. think my order was:

hacking
energy bar
hacking
xray vision
hacking
inventory expansion

next one is likely going to be the ability to control turrets/cameras. >:)

Special J

Banned
i hate looking at malik's ugly face that mole especially is just nasty. whenever she asks for a favor i just want to ignore her and do a stealth kill but the game wont let me :(

maomaoIYP

Beat the game just a few minutes ago. They give me so many fun toys but yet the consistently best weapon is the stun gun and by far the most useful augs are all hacking related. Otherwise loved the game. Going for a 2nd time right away. Wonder if we can mess around as much as Deus Ex 1 allowed for?

Spoilers:
Is it just me or are the endings the weakest part of the game? There's no closure with regards to what happens to Adam and Megan, especially since her apparent murder drives Adam. Yeah so she's alive, and yeah she does end up working with the Illuminati, but tell us what happens to her relationship with Adam dammit!

calder

The Quiet Man said:
Icarus Landing is fantastic. It saved me from accidental deaths, made available certain routes and let me quickly escape enemies by jumping down away from them.
Freaking love Icarus. I hummed and hawed about it mid way through Shanghai, but finally just got it and it changed the game for me, at least in that city. Once the quests started taking me into the rooftop locations more just jumping down to the street was badass and super helpful.

Based on responses I might get the jumping one next, I'm basically an stealth hacker ninja now.

And :( at the no-killing trophy. I'm such an idiot, it's way too late for me to go back and unkill those two idiots. Gah.

Wallach

calder said:
Freaking love Icarus. I hummed and hawed about it mid way through Shanghai, but finally just got it and it changed the game for me, at least in that city. Once the quests started taking me into the rooftop locations more just jumping down to the street was badass and super helpful.

Based on responses I might get the jumping one next, I'm basically an stealth hacker ninja now.

And :( at the no-killing trophy. I'm such an idiot, it's way too late for me to go back and unkill those two idiots. Gah.

Well, now you're liberated from such a wussy path and are free to use your robot arms more appropriately.

Squill

Neo Member
Sullichin said:
Is the breathe in gas augmentation worth it? Are there areas I wouldn't be able to survive in otherwise?

I've only run into it in one location in Detroit. It was just a vent that had toxic gas in it that I couldn't get through, I was able to find my way around it though so I didn't see a point in wasting a point it in.

Hmmm.... Looks like Pacifist is the 2nd rarest achievement in the game (according to Steam):

Foxiest of Hounds (no alarms ever in your entire playthrough) is more common at 0.4%. Rarest, is Scholar (read all 29 XP books in 1 playthrough) at 0%.

Derrick01 said:
I agree this could use more sidequests but the problem with adding anything substantial is that it'll break the balance more. A few of us ended our first playthrough with every praxis point except around 10, which only leaves 1 or 2 augs empty and another couple not maxed out. Sidequests would give us a few more and a whole new hub would probably let us max out everything.

Though I guess you could use the argument that since you already end up with almost everything by the mid point of the game, what harm could come from completely maxing out?
Add more augs! Like uh... power kick... and animal pheromones, and add animals! I want to befriend a pack of dogs in Hengsha.

Nome

Darkkn said:

Yeah, i'ts pretty silly. It's pretty easy to work off one cell... was quite disappointed that the others didn't auto recharge.

Ferrio

Banned
Nome said:
Yeah, i'ts pretty silly. It's pretty easy to work off one cell... was quite disappointed that the others didn't auto recharge.

I don't mind that the others don't autocharge.. I just wish you had a base you could go to and would refill them automatically. I've been one one cell since the beginning of the game.

Kyouji

Special J said:
i hate looking at malik's ugly face that mole especially is just nasty. whenever she asks for a favor i just want to ignore her and do a stealth kill but the game wont let me :(

Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder, and you sir, are blind. =)

I find the mole incredibly hot.

Top Bottom