• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Man, this game is so damn addicting.

I had a rare weekend in which I didn't have shit to do, so I spent all Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday playing it.

It's such a time sink. I think I started at 10 in the morning on Saturday, played, and looked at the clock and it was suddenly 3:30pm. It's been so long since I've been able to have a game play session over an hour, let alone 5!

I'm still in Detroit, after 3 days of 4-5 hours sessions. I've only completed a small number of story quests, and two side missions.

I'm playing on Normal difficulty, but the game has been very challenging, but not frustrating. I've been mixing up stealth, with primarily non-lethal takedowns. I think I've only killed a handful of enemies (not counting that opening tutorial section). I usually tranq or takedown foes.

My only regret is that I didn't invest in hacking from the get go, as there was so much that I couldn't access due to not having a high enough hacking level.

It took a bit to get going, but the game is definitely Deus Ex. I wasn't sure that it wasn't going to be a lame cash in on the name, but I'm ready to label this my sleeper hit of the year. My expectations were literally 0 for this game. I'm so glad I bought it. For $30, it was worth it, but even if I didn't have a gift card, I'd have paid full price. To anyone still on the fence about this game like I was, I can't recommend it enough if you enjoy atmospheric action/rpgs. I'm just really pleased at how well they nailed the "Deus Ex feel" of the gameplay and the world. It's such a well designed game, and the freedom given to you in how you approach/complete tasks is awesome.

tiff said:
They're both first-person shooters with a big emphasis on player choice but they play very differently.
Crysis 2's version of choice is: would you like door 1, door 2, or door 3? HR is more like: would you like door 1 or would you like to look all over the place in case there are a bunch of other doors around here somewhere?

spandexmonkey said:
Has anyone found a solution to the DX11 crashing? I'm thoroughly enjoying the game but hate having to play in a stuttering DX9 instead of the constantly crashing DX11.

If you have nvidia, and you noticed crashing in other DX10/DX11 games as well (or if the card's voltage is too low => keep reading), raise the voltage, as there are several cards that were released by their manufacturers operating below the voltage they should operate at.

Some links and quotes:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=790125&mpage=1
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=340713
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=203856

My cards came factory overclocked from MSI (823, 2138) so I checked the voltage they were using, which was 1012mV. This was simply to low. I increased it to 1088mV and DX10 and DX11 run flawlessly now.

Fixed: i increase to voltage to 1000 now every thing super fine...crysis & crysis warhead bah bah bah dx 9 or dx 10 all work perfect

Hi again, it appears my card wasn't stable at the stock clocks with stock voltages, so i decided to incriese voltage a bit and see if the crashes continued and apparently it's stable now.

i can confirm this issue. i simply increased the voltages from 1012 stock to 1025 in afterburner and the crashes in dx10 are gone!

FIX

for all the people having this crashing problem just get MSI Afterburner, ASUS SmartDoctor 5.80, or EVGA's e-leet to bump the core voltage of your 570s cards to 1.05v minimum for F.3.A.R. and 1.075v for any heavier game such as CRYSIS 2 and that would fix all the crashing until nVidia release some new drivers.

problem solved raising the voltage by 2 positions. Namely, with 0.950 to 0.975. And not just in F.E.A.R. 3a and in Crysis 2 and other DX11 games.

Yes, I had crash problems with my ZOTAC GTX 570 AMP! (@780/1560/4000) in all DX 11 games (DX9 no issue) and the solution is to raise up vcore to 1.038v (from stock 1.013v).

This affects only dx10/dx11 games BTW, and it's nothing that developers can do to fix it. I know a few manufacturers have released updated BIOSes for their cards that set the voltage a little higher to remedy the issue, so if you do happen to have an nvidia card and this is the issue that you are experiencing a good place to start would be checking for an updated BIOS file.

I dunno, maybe I'm doing it wrong. But so far the game hasn't given me any actual reason to do anything but shoot everyone in the face. So exploring, trying to be stealthy, etc, just hasn't seemed worth the bother. And the process of shooting ppl in the face feels less fun than in crysis. (note: I generally dislike shooters, and crysis, especially crysis 1 is the only shooter I've actually enjoyed).

Also, there's the fact that ppl are saying trying to be stealth master will just screw me at the bosses anyway.

Oh well, I'm only an hour in. So maybe it's silly to worry about it yet. I'll keep at it!

teh_J0kerer said:
I dunno, maybe I'm doing it wrong. But so far the game hasn't given me any actual reason to do anything but shoot everyone in the face. So exploring, trying to be stealthy, etc, just hasn't seemed worth the bother. And the process of shooting ppl in the face feels less fun than in crysis. (note: I generally dislike shooters, and crysis, especially crysis 1 is the only shooter I've actually enjoyed).

Also, there's the fact that ppl are saying trying to be stealth master will just screw me at the bosses anyway.

Oh well, I'm only an hour in. So maybe it's silly to worry about it yet. I'll keep at it!
Just... play the game for a few more hours. These posts just come off as really uninformed.

Wallach

teh_J0kerer said:

The game definitely pushes you towards stealth, hacking and exploration. All three are awarded large XP bonuses. You only earn a small fraction of the potential XP (not to mention items and credits) ignoring that stuff.

Enco

teh_J0kerer said:

I feel sorry for those that didn't stealth the police station. You really missed out.

I feel awesome when doing stealth. I guess it's down the the person playing.

I've only played the first boss but had no issue with my stealth focus. Just make sure you have a pistol and a few grenades.

I don't get those saying bosses are tough. They're not (at least the first).

Omiee

On the 3rd mission, and i needed advice.

What looks better FXX high or MLAA?
Also i should be able to 60fps this all the time with two 6950's on 1080P right?
It sometimes drops to 40

Chavelo

Daeda said:
Do the Adam Jensen Dance: youtu.be/Y414Q7vVgYU
bob page said:

For the new page. Holy hell, this is hilarious. XD

teh_J0kerer said:

Que chingados? o_O

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Enco said:
I feel sorry for those that didn't stealth the police station. You really missed out.

I feel awesome when doing stealth. I guess it's down the the person playing.

I've only played the first boss but had no issue with my stealth focus. Just make sure you have a pistol and a few grenades.

I don't get those saying bosses are tough. They're not (at least the first).
I found the first boss pretty tough. The second boss was much easier for me.

Enco

thetrin said:
I found the first boss pretty tough. The second boss was much easier for me.
How come?

Just some head shots, grenades and the gas cylinder in the corner room.

I did die a few time to start with but it didn't take more than a few minutes from beginning to end (including loading).

Are there many instances in which the double take-down can be used? I just purchased it solely on the basis of RAD.

Looking back on it, I REALLY enjoyed the prologue; 'stealthing' through a level is just something that resonates with me hugely Consequently, as my initial enjoyment was quite high and unexpected, I'm now wanting everything else - even the somewhat little things like conversation animation - to be perfect, too. I need to lower my standards.

xandaca

teh_J0kerer said:

You're still very early on. It gets a LOT more difficult to go in guns blazing as the game progresses - and stealth is often more fun, anyway.

God this game is addictive - I've probably been playing it for four to six hours a night and completely thrown off my sleep cycle. (If there's one advantage to being unemployed...) I should have finished it very soon, definitely in or near the final act now. Hopefully will have a review up by Wednesday.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Enco said:
How come?

Just some head shots, grenades and the gas cylinder in the corner room.

I did die a few time to start with but it didn't take more than a few minutes from beginning to end (including loading).
It took me about 17-20 head shots to kill him, and that's after 3 grenades. I don't know what to tell you. It took me a long time to kill him.

Not to mention, any time I was out in the open, he would shoot at me for about 5 seconds and I would be dead. The time I beat him, I had to keep running around the room, and cloaking, because if he saw me and began firing, I'd be dead in about 5 seconds.

Second boss only took about 10-12 point blank explosive revolver shots to kill.

Solo

mickcenary said:
Are there many instances in which the double take-down can be used? I just purchased it solely on the basis of RAD.

Tons. Game frequently puts two chatting guards beside eachother with their backs to you.

Computer said:
I heard there was a way to disable the piss filter. Is that true? How to do it?

Turn off post-processing.

ON:
3141612011082900015.jpg

OFF:
3103652011082900014.jpg

ON:
4011982011082900011.jpg

OFF:
9665402011082900010.jpg

ON:
3076652011082900009.jpg

OFF:
1615262011082900008.jpg

ON:
4742662011082900007.jpg

OFF:
3977452011082900005.jpg

thetrin

Also, to this day, I have yet to figure out how to throw things besides grenades. I can only pick up and drop. The grenade throw button doesn't do anything. Can you throw objects?

Exuro

thetrin said:
Also, to this day, I have yet to figure out how to throw things besides grenades. I can only pick up and drop. The grenade throw button doesn't do anything. Can you throw objects?
Pick up an object and press lmb.

thetrin

angular graphics said:
Haha, don't know how I missed that. I just assumed it would drop the item and pull out my gun, so I never tried.

Solo

thetrin said:
Also, to this day, I have yet to figure out how to throw things besides grenade. I can't only pick up and drop. The grenade throw button doesn't do anything. Can you throw objects?

Pick up object. Press mouse 1 (or RT or whatever on a gamepad) to throw.

thetrin

I can see how the first boss might have been easier had I known how to throw things. I just had to shoot him in the face a billion times and hope he didn't get more than 3 seconds of minigun time on my face.

thetrin

angular graphics said:
As a purely stealth-augmented character I beat him by doing exactly that on my first try. Very easy.
Yeah, I'm all stealth and hacking, and I had to rely on throwing EMPs (which almost always missed because I'm terrible at throwing grenades in this game), and shooting him multiple times in the face with my 10mm.

Can you or do you get anything making baskets on the basketball court? Tried several times and it seems like you really can't make a proper basket or it does nothing the few times that it seemed to go in perfectly

_Xenon_ said:
So the enemies in the tutorial level are also counted for the no-kill achievement right? Well I already arrived in Hengsha, I'm fucked.

really? because I tried to take them down, but couldn't. Well, this pacifist has had his fill of pacifism anyway.

Also, if playing as non-lethal, DO NOT PUNCH THROUGH WALLS when someone is standing behind it. It will always give a lethal result. :(
by which I mean the first cracked wall you see in the gang territory in Detroit, which has a guy standing against that same walll
Which is also kind of stupid, because the game gives you this "stealth route" on a fucking platter. Yet, when playing non-lethal, it will fuck up your intended play style. It saddens me a bit that the game appears to have no bonus for non-lethal except experience and an achievement for OCD players. I would have preferred some kind of 'minimal casualties' instead of a zero kill thing. I mean, as pointed out, you can't avoid some kills if you use all options available to you. Which is how I feel DX is supposed to be played, not OCD style.

Btw: my in-game contrast appears to be fucked up. When comparing videos with my playthrough so far, I noticed a lack of shadows in my game where there should have been. Is that a (DirectX11) issue with my card (GTX460) or my monitor?

eek5

Zeitgeister said:
really? because I tried to take them down, but couldn't. Well, this pacifist has had his fill of pacifism anyway.

Also, if playing as non-lethal, DO NOT PUNCH THROUGH WALLS when someone is standing behind it. It will always give a lethal result. :(
by which I mean the first cracked wall you see in the gang territory in Detroit, which has a guy standing against that same walll
Which is also kind of stupid, because the game gives you this "stealth route" on a fucking platter. Yet, when playing non-lethal, it will fuck up your intended play style. It saddens me a bit that the game appears to have no bonus for non-lethal except experience and an achievement for OCD players. I would have preferred some kind of 'minimal casualties' instead of a zero kill thing. I mean, as pointed out, you can't avoid some kills if you use all options available to you. Which is how I feel DX is supposed to be played, not OCD style.
Is wall punching useful later on? I haven't noticed a lot of cracked walls (although I guess I'm not looking for them either)

Wallach

eek5 said:
Is wall punching useful later on? I haven't noticed a lot of cracked walls (although I guess I'm not looking for them either)

You can get through cracked walls with explosives if you don't want to punch them I think. Explosives aren't all that common though, and the wall punch does allow you to also kill anyone standing on the other side at the same time.

Pete Rock

Solo said:
Tons. Game frequently puts two chatting guards beside eachother with their backs to you.
Yeah one of the early reviews I read mentioned the Reflex aug as being pointless, I found that to be entirely untrue throughout the majority of the game. There are always guards on individual routes within a group, but there is generally a pair of guards facing each other in at least one portion of each level and it can be very handy in those instances. I suppose you could go without investing those two points the entire game but it seems like a matter of convenience more often than not.

One time I carried a fire extinguisher through an air vent to try and confuse two guards at a computer station, I felt super clever until I ended up throwing it right between both of them, watching in silent horror while it cascaded through the air, shattering the security booth window as they pull their firearms and go on high alert. This was all rather unexpected, and I had just unlocked the reflex aug, so it was extra awesome to see both their noggins get smashed together in one fell swoop, particularly after I had just fucked up so spectacularly.

megalowho

Second boss is such a bitch. I'm not properly equipped for her at all, I know there's probably enough in the lockers to get me by but after 12 tries yesterday I had to turn it off.

The past few hours leading up to her have been nothing but slow moving through office corridors as well, this is the low point of the game for me so far. I imagine it'll pick back up again once I get back to a hub city, but this momentum killing segment is leaving a big impression on what's otherwise been a thrilling and engrossing game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Before I spend the next 5 hours trying is there anyway to save
Malik
and how long do I have and what do I do?

I found that part to be a lot of fun. I wish there were more arena-like encounters. If you don't mind killing people, it's really not very difficult.

Tranquilizer Rifle, Stun Gun, and take downs should make it entirely possible for a no-kill route, too.

eek5 said:

It has some uses during the game. Mostly just for getting to places or items you can't reach through other means though. But there is really no reason NOT to buy the upgrade, just like the Icarus landing. (which will save you from death by fall quite a bit. Or maybe that's just me. :p )

Tanolen

eek5 said:

I noticed with the wall punch aug, it would then start highlighting walls you can punch. So i ran by alot I had no idea were destroyable.

thetrin

Wall punching is pretty damn useful. I've found my fair share of praxis, energy bars and ammo behind cracked walls.

Zefah said:
I found that part to be a lot of fun. I wish there were more arena-like encounters. If you don't mind killing people, it's really not very difficult.

Tranquilizer Rifle, Stun Gun, and take downs should make it entirely possible for a no-kill route, too.

Luckily killing is not a problem for me. I just wanted to make sure it's a time limit issue and no a forced failure. :)

Thanks!

I finished the game yesterday, so I finally allowed myself to go back and read the comments in this thread that I had been avoiding in case of spoilers.

And I was like, "I didn't know I could do that."

"I didn't know I could do that."

"Oh my god, I could do THAT?"

I thought I was being creative in my playthrough by using vending machines to block off routes, throwing boxes to lure guards away from each other, etc, but man, you guys really think outside of the box. Kudos.

Also, this game is amazing.

thetrin

megalowho said:
Second boss is such a bitch. I'm not properly equipped for her at all, I know there's probably enough in the lockers to get me by but after 12 tries yesterday I had to turn it off.

The past few hours leading up to her have been nothing but slow moving through office corridors as well, this is the low point of the game for me so far. I imagine it'll pick back up again once I get back to a hub city, but this momentum killing segment is leaving a big impression on what's otherwise been a thrilling and engrossing game.
Bosses in general kill the game for me, but the rest of the game is so great, that I try my best to forget they exist when I'm not facing them.

JWong

Banned
megalowho said:

All I used for her was a heavy machine gun. I had like 800 rounds.

Tanolen

thetrin said:
Bosses in general kill the game for me, but the rest of the game is so great, that I try my best to forget they exist when I'm not facing them.

Get the typhoon upgrade, you can two shot every boss with it.

Top Bottom