• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Ruuppa

Just finished the game, missing 4 achievements, Pacifist and three quest-related(
Kevorkian Complex, The Take and Sentimental Value
).
I'm surprised I got Doctorate, some of those books were in devious places.
The most easy to miss one is in the security room next to the first turret you meet, under a cardboard box.

Final boss was a bit of a let-down. I just ran up and shot her in the face with the Laser, and she died. I guess I'll have to fight her "correctly" later on.

Great game, but insomnia-inducing.

Enco said:
Cloaking + Reflex = awesome multi take downs

I was thinking about investing in the reflex aug next, but how does it actually work? And how often does the opportunity to use it arise? Do you have to sneak up on two enemies at the same, like while they are having a conversation?

ctrayne

Is the misspelling of "Fuck Yea" some kind of meme that I missed the memo on? Driving me crazy. "Yea" is pronounced "yay" and does not mean "Yeah."

Dakota47

This might be interesting for comparison. My augmentations at the end of the game:

ablVP.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
I'm still loving the game (really really great stuff), but man, the "take down" system is really the worst decision they made. It feels so out of place and offers no real challenge plus they abandoned melee attacks in favor of it.

At the very least, they should have kept the actions in first person ala Riddick. That game had plenty of 3rd person cuts just like Deus Ex, but the hand to hand attacks were all first person and felt wonderful.

I disagree. I think they are extremely satisfying. I don't really see how they take away much of the challenge compared to melee weapons, either. The challenge has always been in getting close enough to your enemy without being spotted and taking the enemy down without having any other enemy see you.

ctrayne said:
Is the misspelling of "Fuck Yea" some kind of meme that I missed the memo on? Driving me crazy. "Yea" is pronounced "yay" and does not mean "Yeah."

Seriously? "yea" as a shortened version of "yeah" has been around for a very long time. It's different than the "yea" that is the opposite of "nay".

Enco

AliceInJam said:
I was thinking about investing in the reflex aug next, but how does it actually work? And how often does the opportunity to use it arise? Do you have to sneak up on two enemies at the same, like while they are having a conversation?
Just go up to two guys who are close (talking for example) and hit or hold Q.

Looks pretty sweet and you'll feel awesome. Worth the points I say. Comes up quite a bit.

webrunner

kLK9w.jpg

Oh, Takedown animations, will I ever get tired of you?

Also:
dKAWX.jpg

I am impressed this archaic dinosaur of office equipment is still functioning and is still apparently used well enough to be in easy reach of the CEO's receptionist's desk.

Dakota47 said:
This might be interesting for comparison. My augmentations at the end of the game:

http://i.imgur.com/ablVP.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]
Here's mine:
[url=http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=dxhr2011-08-2920-54-24zudm.png][img]http://www.abload.de/thumb/dxhr2011-08-2920-54-24zudm.png[/url]

Missed... 3-4 side quests I think, and I pretty much stopped hacking and doing non-lethal takedowns for the last ~3 or so hours of it so I could finish it and not ruin my schedule for the week. :p

My augs at the end:
http://i53.tinypic.com/155kynk.jpg

Didn't feel I needed any of the remaining augs, so that's why I have so many in reserve. But yeah, I think I hacked just about everything in the game and got every Ghost and Smooth Operator bonus possible, and I'm still about 10 Praxis away from maxing out. Don't think it's possible to max out.

charsace

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
I'm a fair bit through the game (
second time in Hengsha
) and I've only seen a couple of uses for it.

I've been surprised at how useful the wallpunch is. Gotten me through a ton of areas stealthily, despite the amount of noise it makes.
I just throw a ton of gas and concussion grenades in rooms and since they have no effect on me, but on the enemies I pull out the revolver and blast motherfuckers as walk through a room.

http://i.imgur.com/ksaQJ.jpg Here's my Praxis allocation by the end of the game.

Zefah said:
I disagree. I think they are extremely satisfying. I don't really see how they take away much of the challenge compared to melee weapons, either. The challenge has always been in getting close enough to your enemy without being spotted and taking the enemy down without having any other enemy see you.
Well they're a win button of sorts. Even if the enemy catches wind of you at the last moment you can still press takedown when you're in range and win. With the melee weapons in the other game there are still priority spots in attacking someone, and if they turn around you're not going to get out of it as easily. Well, not until you start getting the melee aug or the DT sword anyway.

Solo

The Quiet Man said:
Icarus Landing is fantastic. It saved me from accidental deaths, made available certain routes and let me quickly escape enemies by jumping down away from them.

Plus it looks cool.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Rickenslacker said:
http://i.imgur.com/ksaQJ.jpg Here's my Praxis allocation by the end of the game.

Well they're a win button of sorts. Even if the enemy catches wind of you at the last moment you can still press takedown when you're in range and win. With the melee weapons in the other game there are still priority spots in attacking someone, and if they turn around you're not going to get out of it as easily. Well, not until you start getting the melee aug or the DT sword anyway.

Fair enough. However, as an obsessive quick saver/quick loader, none of that ever mattered for me. These take downs just mean I don't have to quick load if I accidentally swing my nightstick at the guard's upper back rather than the back of his skull.

Ruuppa

Enco said:

Looks pretty sweet and you'll feel awesome. Worth the points I say. Comes up quite a bit.
Just try to sneak up to the targets while they're talking, if they are. Usually they leave on different routes after they finish talking, and you'll miss out on the dual takedown.

End of the game screenshot:
DeusExEnd.jpg

Enco said:

Nice, this is what I thought. Thanks! I will definitely invest in it next.

Wallach

AliceInJam said:
Nice, this is what I thought. Thanks! I will definitely invest in it next.

You can also intentionally make guards distracted towards other guards, like for example throwing something they might both go investigate. Cloak helps in getting double takedowns as it can be awkward sometimes trying to takedown a pair of guys talking (since the FOV of both of them leaves only a couple of angles where they may not see you). Also, if you jump down from above while mashing Q you can land next to them and trigger one before either has the opportunity to go hostile, so look out for opportunities to pull a Batman.

Edit - Something as low as a large dumpster is tall enough that you don't need cloak to avoid being seen on approach if you can fall and land close enough to them.

stuminus3

Yeah I'm gonna have to throw my first major criticism at this game (after about 15 or so hours of play, a considerable way through the game).

I'm sick to death of everything and everybody existing only for the "augmented vs pureblood" argument. Just about every character, random wandering NPC, newspaper, email, everything just repeats the same message over and over again to hammer in the point "this is what this game is about!". Of course that's the theme of the game but walk down any street in any hub and it's like all people in the world are talking about. It's a little tiring after a while.

Deus Ex and Invisible War weren't like that, their themes were far more transparent (especially Invisible War). Maybe that's where Eidos Montreal deviate from Warren Spector and co because the game is otherwise GOTY material.

EDIT: although saying that, the emails I found in
China
about
mailboxes having a 4 email limit (by law!)
absolutely hilarious. It's pretty clever when you think about it
when you think of some of the real-life policies China has)
, and it's a nice way for the game to poke fun at itself.

Wallach said:
You can also intentionally make guards distracted towards other guards, like for example throwing something they might both go investigate. Cloak helps in getting double takedowns as it can be awkward sometimes trying to takedown a pair of guys talking (since the FOV of both of them leaves only a couple of angles where they may not see you). Also, if you jump down from above while mashing Q you can land next to them and trigger one before either has the opportunity to go hostile, so look out for opportunities to pull a Batman.

Edit - Something as low as a large dumpster is tall enough that you don't need cloak to avoid being seen on approach if you can fall and land close enough to them.

Haha I love the batman move, pretty badass. Yea I never even thought to throw something to get their attention, thanks for the tip. So I guess investing in cloak would be a good compliment to reflex. Nice, can't wait ot try the batman tonight!

Ruuppa

Dakota47 said:
213K xp wow, that's almost a ton more than mine. I really need to replay the game.
Getting that much is horrible overkill. Before I took that screenshot, I had 10+ Praxis points unused because I had all the upgrades I needed. But if you're aiming high, hack *everything*, even if you have the correct codes.

prowler_ said:
Any help or links for the second boss fight?
She
keeps kicking my ass.
Typhoon when it rushes you. Three should be enough to do it.

goodfella

stuminus3 said:
Yeah I'm gonna have to throw my first major criticism at this game (after about 15 or so hours of play, a considerable way through the game).

I'm sick to death of everything and everybody existing only for the "augmented vs pureblood" argument. Just about every character, random wandering NPC, newspaper, email, everything just repeats the same message over and over again to hammer in the point "this is what this game is about!". Of course that's the theme of the game but walk down any street in any hub and it's like all people in the world are talking about. It's a little tiring after a while.

Deus Ex and Invisible War weren't like that, their themes were far more transparent (especially Invisible War). Maybe that's where Eidos Montreal deviate from Warren Spector and co because the game is otherwise GOTY material.

China
about

I would never have noticed, now its going to bother me the whole game!

Wallach

prowler_ said:
Aha, sorry. I would search through the thread but the spoilers are too tempting.

Thanks anyway.

Supposedly the Typhoon system wrecks bosses pretty good, so consider upgrading that aug and buying some ammo from one of the LIMB clinics.

Mindman

stuminus3 said:

China
about

I haven't noticed this at all. Random wandering NPCs don't even mention that stuff in my experience... but I'm still in Detroit. ;)

stuminus3

goodfella said:
I would never have noticed, now its going to bother me the whole game!
Haha, sorry about that. I think Rock, Paper, Shotgun mentioned something about it before I started playing and it stuck with me, it might not be as obvious as I think.

I've heard random NPCs walking around whistling the theme to the original Deus Ex so there's some redemption for Eidos Montreal there. ^_^

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Does anyone know if the takedowns are modeled after a real martial art? I have to say I never got tired of non-lethal takedowns (haven't tried my corporate psychopath killer run yet so I haven't seen those animations), because they were just so much fun to watch (and listen to). Deeply satisfying. The upgrade to taking two enemies out at once is completely worth it.

Zenith

Banned
I got urgent questions about Taggert and his speech

It seems confronting Taggert and defeating him via speech so he tells where the guy is is the "correct" way, but sneaking backstage allows me to frame him for the Sarif attack, and due to his Picus ties I think he's guilty.

What are the consequences of either choice, including what's mentioned on news reports and in convos later?

Ha, I'm doing a new playthrough without trying to be a pacifist, and yet I'm still using 99% nonlethals for silent takedowns. I have about 200 pistol bullets, and I think the only people I've killed with it are three gang members that attacked me (after I tranq'd their friend, lol).

i keep meaning to throw boxes to distract baddies but i always forget. i always see a really cool way of getting to the goal before i have time to find a box.

when i finally built up the nerve to try throwing a fire extinguisher it didn't even bother this one guy because he was part of some scripted situation. (only activated if i approached him)

stuminus3 said:

China
about

I get that, but at the same time, this game is set in the time when all of the augmentation is just starting to happen. Of course that's what people are going to be talking about. This is a huge shift in human development.

Deus Ex is set 30 years after HR, so it makes sense that people aren't talking about that anymore. It's been settled (for better or worse, which the game explores). And IW is set 50 years after HR, so even moreso.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm going to try being a pyscho-murderer in my next playthrough. I'm already a bit disappointed because I just know my cleansing of the police station will destroy any believability the game's world might have.

Dresden

Speedymanic said:
Where is the stun gun? I've come across at least 50+ ammo for one but I haven't found the actual gun. :(
One at the start when you choose non-lethal/CQC, and then I found one in Detroit (one of those storage warehouses) and near the end of Detroit, in the room for the boss fight.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Stun Guns are hidden all over the place. I found some in the China hub by jumping over fences and breaking walls, and IIRC you can buy one from the merchant there.

Dresden said:
One at the start when you choose non-lethal/CQC, and then I found one in Detroit (one of those storage warehouses) and near the end of Detroit, right before the boss fight.

Bah, I chose the lethal option and I didn't find it before the first boss fight. :(

I did, however, find a PECS gun, but ammo for that is so scarce that it's hardly worth keeping in the inventory.

Ferrio

Banned
Dresden said:
One at the start when you choose non-lethal/CQC, and then I found one in Detroit (one of those storage warehouses) and near the end of Detroit, in the room for the boss fight.

There's also one in the
Sarif helipad storage room

Papercuts said:
Stun Guns are hidden all over the place. I found some in the China hub by jumping over fences and breaking walls, and IIRC you can buy one from the merchant there.

I was hoping to have one before I left Detroit, it'd save me having to carry around the inventory hogging tranq rifle (which, by the way, is great but ammo for it is pretty scarce).

Ferrio said:
There's also one in the
Sarif helipad storage room

Nice, I'll be sure to check there. :D

Zenith said:
I got urgent questions about Taggert and his speech

It seems confronting Taggert and defeating him via speech so he tells where the guy is is the "correct" way, but sneaking backstage allows me to frame him for the Sarif attack, and due to his Picus ties I think he's guilty.

What are the consequences of either choice, including what's mentioned on news reports and in convos later?

It doesn't effect the final choice of endings, if that's what you're asking.

Also - 213k EXP!!! WTFFFFFFFFF? I need to beat this!

Zenith said:
It isn't.
I confronted him, and the only specific thing I noted was people at Sarif Industries congratulating me on taking him down a peg. There's also an achievement, and... a later scene might be different? I don't know.

Top Bottom