• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I love how unconvincing the VA sounds when persuading people, and yet succeeds:

"[hoarse, insincere voice] I understand, I really do..."

This game gave me serious MGS2 vibes sneaking around in
the FEMA camp where you fight the first boss
. All the clean, high-tech surfaces and the orange color palette make me really want to see the Big Shell remade.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I NEED SCISSORS said:
. All the clean, high-tech surfaces and the orange color palette make me really want to see the Big Shell remade.
Totally. That's what gave me HEAVY MGS2 vibes. Absolutely loved it.

Deadbeat

Banned
thetrin said:
That's weird. You're supposed to get the option to offer him a job at Sarif, or tell him to go fuck himself. I don't know what affects whether or not you get that choice.
If you guilt trip him about the
pills
then he will hunt you down. If you solve the problem through logic and reason you can offer a job at that later situation.

epmode said:
So I finally got home to take a look at my card since I've been running into crazy crashing issues but only in DX11. Deux Ex, Two Worlds 2 and one or two other games. DX9 is problem-free.

I'm running an EVGA GTX 570. Most suggestions I've read center around setting the card to 1.038v. Problem is, my card is already there. Should I increase the voltage or would it be better to look into an RMA?

Yeah, that's definitely the problem you are experiencing then.

I would simply increase the voltage instead of RMAing it: you won't harm the card by setting it just a bit higher (where it should operate in the first place!), and it won't put it out of warranty if you do it by software (instead of making a permanent change by using a modified BIOS for example).

Also by RMAing it you won't be sure they won't send you another of the same "faulty" batch....

But that's just me, it's up to you to decide what to do. In any case let us know what happens :)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
SalsaShark said:
well shit, i might just try that Corky (though maybe for my next playthrough), looks way better than my jaggy kinda-mess.

No doubt, I reckon any setup like a 570 or above will give you a playable framerate.

The hub levels are the best part of the game. The self contained levels are hit or miss for me.

I can't help but think that this is the game (mechanics, and choice wise) that Dragon Age 2 should have been.

zlatko

Banned
Robobandit said:
ahh.. that makes sense.

Honestly, guilt trip or not, I should get the option to talk him down, OR sneak by him with fucking cloaking. The fact an entire playthrough of sneak is ruined because of that is FUCKING RETARDED.

Echoplx

zlatko said:
Honestly, guilt trip or not, I should get the option to talk him down, OR sneak by him with fucking cloaking. The fact an entire playthrough of sneak is ruined because of that is FUCKING RETARDED.

It's called dealing with consequences.

Wallach

zlatko said:

I don't understand how this ruins your entire playthrough.

Clydefrog

I NEED SCISSORS said:

I just beat that part last night and thought exactly the same.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
zlatko said:
Consequences. We ask for it all the time in games, and there we go.

Derrick01

Banned
Wallach said:

Christ I hope it doesn't, I just chose that route into the police station :(

thetrin said:
Consequences. We ask for it all the time in games, and there we go.

Runing an entire achievement run in a 30 hour game is a bit much though. There's nothing hardcore about that, it's just plain torture.

Lakitu

st5fu
So... any tips on how to beat that
aug'd up boss chick
?

I use EMP grenades to try and get her, sometimes she avoids them and sometimes she doesn't. I also lure her but every time it happens I get electrocuted as well. She annoys me. A lot.

She pretty much kills me in one move.

spindoctor said:
It's past 2200GMT so I checked the main menu. Either this is garbage or it's some sort of code...

EcQCFl.jpg

It's been there for a couple of hours actually. Probably garbage.

ASilva

Neo Member
Ok I need some help with something here. Spoilers for the first part of the game ahead (untill you finish up the first big area):

I was doing a mission where i had to take down an antenna and when I finished it and completed the mission i got flown to a separate location where I'm guessing I will fight the first boss.
I left a side-quest back in Detroit I want to complete so, when I finish this mission will I get back to Detroit to finish up the side quest and get stuff off of my apartment before i go to another city hub? Or will I have to load a previous save and finish up in Detroit before coming here?

mxgt

Banned
zlatko said:

I had the exact same route and I'm doing sneak and I'm not mad at the outcome.

It makes sense, the guilt trip is a complete dick move and he acted out.

If you prefer an achievement over a cool story element in a game, well..

zlatko

Banned
Wallach said:

I go down an elevator, a NPC I can't avoid approaches me, he pulls out a gun, and it goes hostile in lower left, and NPCs are freaking out. I'm going off the idea that the game counts anytime the lower left goes into hostile as the counter to, "you fucked up sneaking through the entire game."

I'd like a consequence that wouldn't have destroyed hours of play up to now guys. If the consequence had been like, he steals ALL your money, or knocks you out and jacks 3 of your weapons from your inventory, or something else... all could have been serious consequences that don't destroy hours upon hours of how I had been playing the game.

It's called bad game design. :/

Wallach

Derrick01 said:
Runing an entire achievement run in a 30 hour game is a bit much though. There's nothing hardcore about that, it's just plain torture.

If you're referring to "Foxiest of the Hounds", it doesn't matter. Someone actually has to set off an alarm for you to lose that. Just going hostile doesn't count, you can cap someone that is hostile and if nobody sets off an alarm you'll still get it.

ASilva said:
Ok I need some help with something here. Spoilers for the first part of the game ahead (untill you finish up the first big area):

I was doing a mission where i had to take down an antenna and when I finished it and completed the mission i got flown to a separate location where I'm guessing I will fight the first boss.
I left a side-quest back in Detroit I want to complete so, when I finish this mission will I get back to Detroit to finish up the side quest and get stuff off of my apartment before i go to another city hub? Or will I have to load a previous save and finish up in Detroit before coming here?

I'd recommend loading a previous save, especially if you aren't too far ahead.
You will return to Detroit but it's possible that the side quest will have been canceled. Check your quest log to make sure.

thetrin

zlatko said:
I go down an elevator, a NPC I can't avoid approaches me, he pulls out a gun, and it goes hostile in lower left, and NPCs are freaking out. I'm going off the idea that the game counts anytime the lower left goes into hostile as the counter to, "you fucked up sneaking through the entire game."

I'd like a consequence that wouldn't have destroyed hours of play up to now guys. If the consequence had been like, he steals ALL your money, or knocks you out and jacks 3 of your weapons from your inventory, or something else... all could have been serious consequences that don't destroy hours upon hours of how I had been playing the game.

I don't think you understand how consequences work. It wouldn't be much of a consequence if it didn't come back to bite you hard.

Wallach

Rickenslacker said:
It saddens me that people go through games like this the first time through with achievements in mind.

Seriously, what the fuck. What is being described is a legit and pretty understandable effect of player choice.

Don't worry though because your precious fucking cheevo is still intact.

ctrayne

So, if you
never talk to him, but rather sneak in and out of the station without detection, will he confront you still?

x3sphere

Corky said:
Yay, got it working. Given the evidence of how minuscule the tessellation effect is ingame I'm going to go dx9 and force external AA, it makes it infinitely better looking imo.

For those who are interested, ssao and sgssaa don't seem to be playing nice. My gpus spiked the roof @99% and I got 40ish fps with ssao on high, putting it on normal fixed that and now gives me less gpu usage + 60 fps. Stuttering from loading is more pronounced, but then again I'm not on an SSD atm so I guess level streaming ( or w/e is going on in the background ) is not as prevalent on an ssd.

This game really deserved better AA :[

Frankly, the AA is better than most ports. Could be a lot worse. FXAA on high, barely noticed any jaggies.

http://i.picpar.com/41d078f1a6716fb4f876daac8f365385b039cf9e.jpg

^ Screen I took of the same area. There's a little aliasing on the walls, not even noticeable during gameplay really. About as subtle as tessellation to me, unless you're looking for it.

Derrick01

Banned
Wallach said:
If you're referring to "Foxiest of the Hounds", it doesn't matter. Someone actually has to set off an alarm for you to lose that. Just going hostile doesn't count, you can cap someone that is hostile and if nobody sets off an alarm you'll still get it.

Ah this is better then.

and as for me it's my 2nd playthrough people, chill.

thetrin

ctrayne said:
So, if you
never talk to him, but rather sneak in and out of the station without detection, will he confront you still?
He wouldn't be able to.
He loses his job precisely for letting Adam into the morgue.

stufte

zlatko said:

I'm assuming you
pissed off the front desk guard from the police station.
Don't do that next time.

abq

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I'm at that point and was thinking the same thing.

mxgt

Banned
zlatko said:

No it's called you were a douchebag to the cop and he reacted accordingly.

fear not though your precious achievement is still in tact as Wallach described.

thetrin

ctrayne said:
Figured. Wanted to ask anyway. Thanks.
A fair question, though. I do like the consequences reach that far. I honestly wish more games were like this.

zlatko

Banned
Wallach said:

I ended up just getting into a corner of the elevator and just tranqing him in the head before I walk out. Just to play it safe, even though the NPCs wen't crazy there, but the hostile thing never popped up.

As for thetrin's remark----I understand it perfectly. Maybe YOU don't get bad game design though.

* The ability to cloak AKA be 100% invisible to this man DOES NOT WORK.
* My leveled up speech augmentation has NO BARING on being able to talk this man down.

These two things should hold some sway in how this plays out, but instead it would rather shit on you being a sneaky player, with a poor consequence. The only consequence here is not about some achievement for me, (I already won't get it because I didn't realize I could sneak through the prologue) but taking away my choice to sneak the entire game, aside from the bosses.

A real consequence in this point, would be something like back when you can offer that man one of your guns or not----he takes money away from you, or at the start of the game,
the hostages because you wanted to go explore around.

Those were consequences, this is bad game design.

Has anyone else had an issue with the game completely crashing after simply hitting th start button at the title screen? It just happened to me for the second time. The screen goes black and I have to actually unplug the PS3 to get it to turn off. Not cool whatsoever.

Corky

x3sphere said:
Frankly, the AA is better than most ports. Could be a lot worse. FXAA on high, barely noticed any jaggies.

http://i.picpar.com/41d078f1a6716fb4f876daac8f365385b039cf9e.jpg

^ Screen I took of the same area. There's a little aliasing on the walls, not even noticeable during gameplay really. About as subtle as tessellation to me.

No doubt that fxaa high ( I really think its better than MLAA ) is doable, hell it's not like dead space or something where AA is nonexistant. Also my pictures were totally random, not really meant to show how well that aa is compared to the regular one. There's most likely places where its easier to demonstrate the difference. That white room comes to mind but I'm not near that place save-wise :I.

I NEED SCISSORS said:

http://www.play3-live.com/news-ps3-inderview-de-david-anfossi-22733.html

Machine translation:

P3L: Yes exactly, in the trailer I saw, it has a little thought to MGS. I was coming precisely what games have inspired you?

David: Games inspire us all the time, the system of "Cover" for example, is a system that we have experienced in games like Rainbow Six, Metal Gear Solid is a good example for all that is the "stealth", even the visual that you mentioned a little bit ... We had such a reference.

http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/332/deus-ex-human-revolution---the-artists-perspective

So, in terms of specific influences, I’m a big fan of the Japanese games. You can see bits from Metal Gear Solid, Ghost in the Shell and all that kind of stuff. It’s not something I’m trying to hide at all, it’s all out there in the open.

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/deus-ex-human-revolution-interview

JBB: William Gibson has released his third book, but even in his writing you don’t find as much cyberpunk as you used to. You could say that Metal Gear Solid is one of the few cyberpunk games to be made lately – and even that’s a real stretch.

http://www.warpzoned.com/?p=4311&page=2

And If you love stealth, you’ll recognize some inspiration from Metal Gear, because that’s one of the big games we love. We love it, and John [Jacques-Belletete] the Art Director, he’s crazy about Metal Gear as well.

Can't find original source:

In videogames, even, I would say the closest thing to cyberpunk for a long time is probably Metal Gear Solid, in the sense that it’s near future, it’s anticipation, it kind of deals with the same themes and stuff.

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/deus_ex_human_revolution

The Metal Gear Solid series was definitely an influence on DeusEx. "I'm a huge fan. Pretty much everything in it has always inspired me," says JJB. "It oozes style and design elegance. Visually speaking, the pseudo-reality it presents to the player is impressively compact and homogeneous.

As opposed to many North American games, the series never aimed for photorealism, but somehow the believability of its visual world is extremely potent and more credible than most 'photorealistic' games. That's what I like in a game, that's the kind of art direction that truly connects with me. Slick, stylized, highly designed, and memorable."

Bonus pic - the DE:HR team posing with Kojima:

RN1VQ.jpg

Eusis

Rickenslacker said:
It saddens me to think that people go through games like this the first time with achievements in mind.
I dunno. It's more ideal for replays I don't doubt, but in this case it's something of a personal challenge that may well make a game more enjoyable for some people. Not only do they focus on sneaking around, but they're actively challenged to keep at it with the promise of... uh, a gold star. At least it'd be proof they managed to pull it off, points or no.

... I kinda like to AIM for them, but if I screw up or discover something that makes it too much trouble/I already screwed up then I just don't care, like the no-kills one. Not only did the prologue screw that up but Jansen has to be an asshole and kill anyone beyond a wall he breaks down.

EDIT: Man, nice to see Kojima's VERY aware of this game. Definitely seems like the kind of thing he should check out.

mxgt

Banned
zlatko said:
I ended up just getting into a corner of the elevator and just tranqing him in the head before I walk out. Just to play it safe, even though the NPCs wen't crazy there, but the hostile thing never popped up.

As for thetrin's remark----I understand it perfectly. Maybe YOU don't get bad game design though.

* My leveled up speech augmentation has NO BARING on being able to talk this man down.

These two things should hold some sway in how this plays out, but instead it would rather shit on you being a sneaky player, with a poor consequence. The only consequence here is not about some achievement for me, (I already won't get it because I didn't realize I could sneak through the prologue) but taking away my choice to sneak the entire game, aside from the bosses.

A real consequence in this point, would be something like back when you can offer that man one of your guns or not----he takes money away from you, or at the start of the game,

Personally I think it's good to have some dynamic design in there that you can't alter yourself.

The guys personality was extremely irrational and he's quick to anger, so it does make sense the way it happens.

thetrin

zlatko said:

1) The point is that he's supposed to be surprising you as you leave the elevator. They had to make certain concessions to force the consequences upon you.

2) Again, you're complaining about not being able to weasel out of your own bad decisions. I'm sorry that the game forced you to face the consequences of your actions.

3) He's hugely irrational and mentally unstable at that point, and blames you for EVERYTHING wrong in his life. It's never explicitly said, but I imagine the CASIE mod has its limitations.

zlatko

Banned
thetrin said:
1) The point is that he's supposed to be surprising you as you leave the elevator. They had to make certain concessions to force the consequences upon you.

2) Again, you're complaining about not being able to weasel out of your own bad decisions. I'm sorry that the game forced you to face the consequences of your actions.

And if you had read up above----it didn't force shit. I was able to tranq gun him from the elevator and walk by. I gamed the game.

Bad game design.

thetrin

zlatko said:
And if you had read up above----it didn't force shit. I was able to tranq gun him from the elevator and walk by. I gamed the game.

Bad game design.
Wait, doesn't that make it good design by your logic, because you were eventually able to overcome it? Okay, whatever.

Corky

Meus Renaissance said:
I have never died in a game as much as I have in this title. Very frustrating.

I agree, but I'm the opposite I'm finding it very enjoyable to bump into situations where I bite off way more than I can chew and get blasted to bits.

Top Bottom