• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

zlatko

Banned
thetrin said:
Wait, doesn't that make it good design by your logic, because you were eventually able to overcome it? Okay, whatever.

No. See I found an option that shouldn't be available in this context. The option that should have been there for me to "over come it," would be cloaking. How is this super genius pill popping raged up cop supposed to know I'm in the elevator when it's 100% empty and I tip toe my way out? The fact I can look at him from the elevator, and he stares at me, and I can tranq him in the head = bad game design.

Me finding a game loophole because the designers didn't think this part of the game fully through = bad game design.

Wallach

zlatko said:
No. See I found an option that shouldn't be available in this context. The option that should have been there for me to "over come it," would be cloaking. How is this super genius pill popping raged up cop supposed to know I'm in the elevator when it's 100% empty and I tip to my way out? The fact I can look at him from the elevator, and he stares at me, and I can tranq him in the head = bad game design.

Me finding a game loophole because the designers didn't think this part of the game fully through = bad game design.

I still don't see how some footnote of one instance in the whole game where they missed this trivial shit ruined your entire playthrough.

ctrayne

zlatko said:
I've always considered this one of the cool things about Deus Ex. Regardless, DXHR is anything but "bad game design". That's sounds like hyperbole to me. Most of the game sticks to its own logic.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
zlatko said:
No. See I found an option that shouldn't be available in this context. The option that should have been there for me to "over come it," would be cloaking. How is this super genius pill popping raged up cop supposed to know I'm in the elevator when it's 100% empty and I tip toe my way out? The fact I can look at him from the elevator, and he stares at me, and I can tranq him in the head = bad game design.

You found a loophole in a video game. Congratulations. You're obviously the first to ever do this in the history of video games.

That said, you seem angry about something so impossibly inconsequential, it can't possible be what you're really angry about. Who cares if he ambushed you? You tranqed him. Story over. Some of us got him a job. You couldn't. Oh well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:

I think you're ridiculous.

Deadbeat

Banned
angular graphics said:
Yes. Reload a previous save. That fixed it for me, and it was the only bug I've experienced so far.
A bug I had is where the game crashed during an autosave in the second last level of the game. When it loaded back up my hud was doing that half off glitch. Went to the last level and it loaded normally.

spindoctor said:
It's past 2200GMT so I checked the main menu. Either this is garbage or it's some sort of code... (click for full size)

New:

2ier3.jpg

zlatko

Banned
Wallach said:
I still don't see how some footnote of one instance in the whole game where they missed this trivial shit ruined your entire playthrough.

The word I had in front of play through was the word sneak or sneaky. Up to now the whole game has let me be stealthy with obstacles, aside from bosses. This instance the way it is set up, ruined the immersion I was having with going at the game stealthy. It definitely soured the experience at this point.

Maybe RUINED is a strong word, as it is one instance, but if anything else like this occurs where all these skills I'm putting into sneaking don't amount to shit to handle a situation, and I'm forced to step out of the world and just, "game the game," then it'll have sullied a lot of what I was liking about this game.

I LOVE PUNCHING DUDES IN THE FUCKING FACE.

*ahem*

How the fuck do you get past the ground floor of the police station without being spotted? Or at least without activating 'Hostile'. I don't want to have to murder everyone just to reach the toilet vent.

zlatko said:
The word I had in front of play through was the word sneak or sneaky. Up to now the whole game has let me be stealthy with obstacles, aside from bosses. This instance the way it is set up, ruined the immersion I was having with going at the game stealthy. It definitely soured the experience at this point.

Maybe RUINED is a strong word, as it is one instance, but if anything else like this occurs where all these skills I'm putting into sneaking don't amount to shit to handle a situation, and I'm forced to step out of the world and just, "game the game," then it'll have sullied a lot of what I was liking about this game.
You unlocked a secret boss congratulations.

ctrayne

Green Scar said:
How the fuck do you get past the ground floor of the police station without being spotted? Or at least without activating 'Hostile'. I don't want to have to murder everyone just to reach the toilet vent.
Talk your way in or find one of several different ways inside.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
zlatko said:

Again, I don't get how having to deal with the consequences of your actions would take you OUT of the game.

Because you can't fool absolutely everyone on in the game, it ruined your immersion? The guy is standing in front of the elevator with a gun, WAITING for you to show up.

Frankly, getting one's comeuppance isn't in games enough, and you're actually angry that it did?

Green Scar said:
I LOVE PUNCHING DUDES IN THE FUCKING FACE.

*ahem*

Imo, if you don't want to just talk your way in, you NEED cloak once you get to the first floor.

Wallach

zlatko said:

Well, quite frankly when I read this:

zlatko said:
I go down an elevator, a NPC I can't avoid approaches me, he pulls out a gun, and it goes hostile in lower left, and NPCs are freaking out. I'm going off the idea that the game counts anytime the lower left goes into hostile as the counter to, "you fucked up sneaking through the entire game."

I'd like a consequence that wouldn't have destroyed hours of play up to now guys. If the consequence had been like, he steals ALL your money, or knocks you out and jacks 3 of your weapons from your inventory, or something else... all could have been serious consequences that don't destroy hours upon hours of how I had been playing the game.

It makes me pretty sure you were mad that you had lost your run at the achievement and now you're playing it off like that isn't really why you were mad. But whatever.

thetrin

The Omega Man said:
it looks like 4chan's menu
I would never go to /?x

It just sounds like I shouldn't be there ever.

Marco1

Is there a reason why PC development was given to Nixxes ?
They have done a great job but I was hoping for more interaction with objects when shooting. Everyhing such as small plastic bins and cups on desks must be super-glued down.

ctrayne said:
Talk your way in or find one of several different ways inside.

I've already gone through the upper two floors. I failed the Persuasion by being a dick, lol, so I took the back exit. I'm now stuck at the bottom of some stairs, and there's no way of moving across to the bathroom containing a vent on Level 1 without a guard seeing me and then the fucking entirety of the Detroit Police Force descending upon my augmented arse.

It's confusing D:

thetrin

Marco1 said:
Is there a reason why PC development was given to Nixxes ?
They have done a great job but I was hoping for more interaction with objects when shooting. Everyhing such as small plastic bins and cups on desks must be super-glued down.
I imagine it's because Eidos Montreal didn't have the manpower to give the PC port their proper attention and work on the console versions at the same time.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat it. Wow, I'm going to have to chew on this for a while before I can coherently express what I felt about the endgame but... overall, one of my favorite experiences of this generation. Kudos to Eidos Montreal, they really did it: delivered a worthy sequel to one of the most ambitious, forward thinking games of its time. And just talking with friends who are currently playing through the game, it's clear that I've only scratched the surface of content and paths available in the game.

One question about the endings, I'm hoping people who played the game differently can chime in.

I played the game non-lethal the entire way through (got the Pacifist achievement as confirmation) and in every single ending Jensen mentioned how he held onto his morality and valued human life, even if it could have been easier to abuse his power and taken shortcuts to make things easier. Does he say something different if you go around killing people throughout the game?

Going to take a break, watch the making of feature, and then start up another playthrough.

thetrin

The Omega Man said:
Isn't there like a few 4chan's jokes/memes in the game? maybe they are related after all.

The plot thickens...
Yeah. There's at least one guy in the game who talks like he belongs to Anonymous, and wears a hat that says "#chan"

zlatko

Banned
Wallach said:
Well, quite frankly when I read this:

It makes me pretty sure you were mad that you had lost your run at the achievement and now you're playing it off like that isn't really why you were mad. But whatever.

Honest to God I don't give a shit about the achievement. I went through MGS4 multiple times all sneak without anything to show it off. I have like 1 game I have 1k/1k for on 360, and maybe 1 platinum? I rarely go for, or even look at them. The only reason I know there is a full stealth one for this game is because of this thread.

I've been sneaking the entire game even though I fucked up the prologue part. I'm not going to stop sneaking either, with or without some virtual internet points to let me know I did or did not.

I'm soured up about the fact that this part of the game was not handled well. I had even already played 20 minutes past this point and dealt with the "consequence," but then saved and went back just to make sure I hadn't missed something, and that's when I asked GAF here if there's a way to avoid him.

I would have liked to see this handled better, it wasn't. That's about the summary there, and then GAF being GAF got uptight I would dare question their shiny new game, and how dare he not marvel at its wonder and awe. :/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeliard said:
I don't think I've ever been more glad that I utterly do not give a shit about achievements.

No kidding. I might hunt for them in my 2nd or 3rd playthroughs if I'm really into a game, but I wouldn't dare let them sully my first experience with a game, especially a Deus Ex game. Yeesh.

thetrin

I'm not defending the game. In fact, I don't think you should have been able to tranq him.

I just think you're salty about having to face the consequences of your actions early in the game.

thetrin said:
I imagine it's because Eidos Montreal didn't have the manpower to give the PC port their proper attention and work on the console versions at the same time.

This basically, they said they wanted the PC version to have its own GUI etc, but there wasn't enough manpower, so at some point (like a year ago - can't remember exactly) they contacted Nixxes Software (that may as well be called "Eidos Netherlands", because most of the time they are collaborating with Eidos and they are the ones that have written many of Crystal Engine's tools in the first place, I am not sure why they haven't been officially acquired by now..).

Wallach

zlatko said:
I would have liked to see this handled better, it wasn't. That's about the summary there, and then GAF being GAF got uptight I would dare question their shiny new game, and how dare he not marvel at its wonder and awe. :/

Well, a lot of that probably has to do with your choice of words if what you're saying is true. Was pretty much distilled hyperbole.

On a side note, for people that ARE going for that achievement, one thing I am not sure about is whether a hostile target alerting other targets to your presence counts. It shouldn't but nobody's confirmed it to me yet.

I don't give a monkey's about trophies, I just want to be completely stealthy because I'm a crazy perfectionist and alarm noises make me feel like scum

zlatko

Banned
Wallach said:
Well, a lot of that probably has to do with your choice of words if what you're saying is true. Was pretty much distilled hyperbole.

On a side note, for people that ARE going for that achievement, one thing I am not sure about is whether a hostile target alerting other targets to your presence counts. It shouldn't but nobody's confirmed it to me yet.

English isn't my first language, so that's probably the case.

Don't get me wrong this game still is my second favorite experience thus far this console generation after MGS4. I'm glad Eidos plans to do more, because I'm all aboard.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
zlatko said:
And if you had read up above----it didn't force shit. I was able to tranq gun him from the elevator and walk by. I gamed the game.

Bad game design.

So, it's bad game design, because the game allowed you to come to your own solution to the problem that you were having?

Problem: Crazy guy is crazy and wants to harm you in some way.

Problem: You seemingly cannot avoid this confrontation, because no matter what, he ambushes you.

Solution: You face the character and deal with the consequences.

Solution: You tranq the dude from a safe distance and stroll on by.

That sounds pretty fuck all awesome to me.

It's not really gaming the game when the game allows you to "game" it. You simply looked at your problem, and came up with an alternate solution. That's damn cool.

Salsa

SalsaShark said:
Im gonna take this off my chest although im about a bit more than halfway through:

So far the game never got as exciting as the first 10-15 hours.

Its not boring me or nothing like that, but im playing at the hadest difficulty, and at first the game gave me no incentive to kill anyone, so i worked my way with non-lethal weapons and takedowns. I got to the first
police deparment
assigment and i found it quite brutal. Not in the fact that i would die or anything, but in just that there were so many dudes there, it was a great challenge. I was simply too weak to make it, so i had to go back and do a bunch of sidequests, then go in and try again, still not good - go back and do more sidequests.

And every time i got in, i realized of a new way to enter, a new possibility to finish the mission in a different way and through different means, i felt seriously challenged in the best way possible. Completing that was rewarding as fuck.

Then, as the game went on, i just gotta say that while im really loving it, it never got that challenging and it never got that rewarding.

Specially since the game gave me a reason to kill people, i met with bad dudes that i just wanted to kill, and the game went from being amazing to standing in a corner with cloak on: killing a dude, wait for his buddy to check on him, kill that dude, wait for his other partner to check on him, repeat. I left PILES of bodies behind on the same spot. (being a tiny bit over dramatic for the purpose of my point)

Now, this is of course in part cause of the way im playing the game now, but either way im OP as fuck. Maybe cause i did all the sidequests i could and whatnot, but.. yeah.

Its not like the game plummeted after that part, but it never quite reached that point again for me. I still fucking love it to death, but those first few hours where some of my most fun gaming sessions in years.

no one agrees with this? im surprised

Deadbeat

Banned
Zeliard said:
I don't think I've ever been more glad that I utterly do not give a shit about achievements.
I only get all the achievements I would get normally playing a game. For example I will never get the pacifist achievement because I will never play the game like that. Ever. I am not a pacifist person. I might knock out guards and misguided people but mercs? Fuck em.

I liked the fact that the game required you to think carefully to play stealthy. If you get in a guy's face he's going to want to smack you, so extend the same degree of caution to your social interactions as you do to the combat areas.

SalsaShark said:

No, I tend to agree but I sort of think the same thing about the first game too.

mxgt

Banned
Sometimes I don't even want to load the game I just want to sit on the menu screen listening to that glorious music

zlatko

Banned
SalsaShark said:

I'll see when I finish up the game.

I do agree that the start of the game definitely had some spectacular moments. For me the first time you visit Adam's apartment was fantastic for me. Such great atmosphere, and it reflects Adam so well, especially the broken mirror.

SalsaShark said:

I don't have that frame of reference because I talked my way into the police station..

I think it goes up and down.. some sections have been harder than others.. I stopped trying to spare mercs and security personnel after heng sha.. I still mostly do non-lethal, but I don't re-load the game if I get discovered anymore.. I get behind cover and kill them as best I can.

Top Bottom