• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Daeda

MechaX said:
I'm just curious; what did the players who completed the game (or are at least in the late stages of the game) here find as the most crucial/important augments to get in retrospect?

Icarus.. its so much more comfortable.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
MechaX said:
I'm probably going to start a second playthrough sometime soon.
I want to save my tomboy pilot, dammit!

I'm just curious; what did the players who completed the game (or are at least in the late stages of the game) here find as the most crucial/important augments to get in retrospect?

Well, it depends on how you play the game. I absolutely hate missing out on items and secret areas so I specced my Jensen to be an explorer first.

If I had to pick augment though, I would probably go with hacking. The XP bonus is great and you always have plenty of ammo incase hacking doesn't work.

3chopl0x said:
I've said this before but fuck guys, the game makes you read the information and think for yourself for once and it must be a bug? Really now?

The quest is stuck on, 'read the pocket secretary' as if I didn't do it. Now it seems to have disappeared from my inventory.

Something seems amiss, didn't say I couldn't figure it out.

AEREC

3chopl0x said:
I've said this before but fuck guys, the game makes you read the information and think for yourself for once and it must be a bug? Really now?

I went through the sewers in all 3 districts and never found, the sewer segments are pretty small too.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
thetrin said:
14.9? Wow. I hadn't even left Hengsha when I was at 15 hours.

Also, has someone yet made a mod to make all batteries auto recharge?
Its been kind of amazing the drastic difference in play time for this game. Some have taken 15-20 hours, others have been clocking in 50+.

I think there was only one side quest I missed(Because I choose the other route) and I explored/hacked everything... and I felt like I topped out at about 26 hours.

Echoplx

AEREC said:
I went through the sewers in all 3 districts and never found, the sewer segments are pretty small too.

You didn't go through them all then, the one they're in is hidden and independent from the rest, it wouldn't be a hideout if it was obvious.

Amir0x

Banned
shintoki said:
Its been kind of amazing the drastic difference in play time for this game. Some have taken 15-20 hours, others have been clocking in 50+.

I think there was only one side quest I missed(Because I choose the other route) and I explored/hacked everything... and I felt like I topped out at about 26 hours.

I think if you max out hacking early, the rest of the game will presumably run a lot faster. Hacking opens up so many doors and pathways that it's basically a cheat mode really. Next play through I won't be using any hacking upgrades because it makes everything too easy.

Kurod

Banned
toasty_T said:
The quest is stuck on, 'read the pocket secretary' as if I didn't do it. Now it seems to have disappeared from my inventory.

Something seems amiss, didn't say I couldn't figure it out.

There was a similar bug shown in the Giant Bomb QL where a pocket secretary just disappeared. Jeff had to reload from the previous auto save to reacquire it. Hope this gets patched fast.

Qwomo said:
Your time counter is broken. There is literally no way you could have beaten the game in 15 hours on a "Foxiest of Hounds" playthrough.

Could be, but it doesn't feel like it. Only got the game on Friday, haven't played constantly. If only save games said playtime instead of when you saved :p

I do feel that maxed out hacking and cloak probably saved me a massive chunk of time. Hacking was rarely difficult, didn't have to find a pocket secretary every time and I tried by best to not even knock out people. I left entire levels without touching a soul. That and I'd played the preview build.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just a quick question that I'd like a vague reply to, so as not to spoil much for myself. I'm on the return to Detroit and I can't seem to find the Smash the State side quest, I've already done the other one. Will the main mission take me near to where that side quest is activated?

Dear God...so I finally got to the first boss. Please someone tell me how I can cheat or otherwise exploit the game to beat him. I've tried 3 times so far(about 10 seconds per try). Is there any way I can get him to clip on a wall or something? Also please tell me the person responsible for this has been fired.

Coxswain

MechaX said:
I'm probably going to start a second playthrough sometime soon.
I want to save my tomboy pilot, dammit!

If you're trying to maximize, Wallpunching is 'free' as soon as you're in Detroit (there's a wall in the sewers with a Praxis Kit behind it), and will get you 2-3 more kits throughout the game. Hacking: Capture and Hacking: Stealth are also a net gain in points, though it happens throughout the game (ie: Max them out early and you'll be kind of strapped for points in the early game, but by halfway through they'll have at least paid for themselves, and everything after that is just free points). Don't bother with Hacking: Fortify or Hacking: Analyze.

Other than those, Cloaking is really powerful (even if you're playing with a combat focus, it's a great panic button and a good way to reposition yourself without being noticed), and the battery recharge speeds are important too. The Reflex Booster is really nice, as there are a lot of enemies that come in pairs in the game.
The Social Enhancer isn't essential but it sure as shit comes in handy for the social battles, and lets you resolve a fair number of sidequests more cleanly than you could otherwise.
The Exploration augs are really nice too, probably in descending order of importance: Icarus Landing, Lift Heavy Objects, High Jump, Rebreather, EMP Shielding.

You'll want more batteries and a bigger inventory at some point in the game, but those are just conveniences, so just slot them in whenever you're annoyed that you don't have more.
Everything after that varies from "kind of nice" to "basically useless", but it's pretty obvious which is which.

Conciliator said:
Dear God...so I finally got to the first boss. Please someone tell me how I can cheat or otherwise exploit the game to beat him. I've tried 3 times so far(about 10 seconds per try). Is there any way I can get him to clip on a wall or something? Also please tell me the person responsible for this has been fired.

Throw lots of grenades at him; it doesn't matter what kind. Frags do tons of damage, and the other kinds stun him for a good 5-6 seconds while you unload on him with whatever weapon you've got handy.
Those barrels and canisters all around the area do the same thing if you pick them up and throw them at him (aim directly at him, there isn't much of an arc). The red ones hurt him badly, and the green ones explode into a gas cloud that stuns him and drains his health.
A Stun Gun does the same thing, and there's one in the area you fight him in, I think in the central area, sitting in an open box.

Card Boy

Banned
Conciliator said:

EMP grenades stun him.

iavi

Conciliator said:

Use the stun gun. Stun him. Then quickly unload a clip from your artillery of choice. He's always going to try and throw a grenade towards you after he recovers. Use this prep time of his to position yourself where that grenade of his will effect him, and give you enough time to sprint away before it blows. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

He comes down in 3~ cycles, and that was on 'Give Me Deus Ex'.

Belfast

Conciliator said:

I
picked up the poison gas canisters in the corner and threw them at him, which presumably does some damage while also stunning him for awhile. Then I went around, picked up the explosive barrels and tossed them at him. A few bullets later, and he was down without even touching me. He'll still do his grenade toss every once in awhile, but other than that it is surprisingly easy.

Amir0x

Banned
Miri said:
Use the stun gun. Stun him. Then quickly unload a clip from your artillery of choice. He's always going to try and throw a grenade towards you after he recovers. Use this prep time of his to position yourself where that grenade of his will effect him, and give you enough time to sprint away before it blows. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

He comes down in 3~ cycles, and that was on 'Give Me Deus Ex'.

stun him and just throw one of the explosive barrels at his head. A few of those and he's almost dead already

iavi

Amir0x said:
stun him and just throw one of the explosive barrels at his head. A few of those and he's almost dead already

That probably would have been a whole lot easier, lol. Funny thing is, I never once thought to pick the barrels up. I'd fire a shot at the one right behind him at the very beginning of the fight, but would actually avoid them after that--Trying not to get caught in a chain reaction when he tossed those grenades of his.

Stallion Free said:
I love how people come running in here calling bullshit on the bosses. Try stopping and thinking about your approach.

maybe the game should have had an MGS style help system. Otacon Prichard could drop a line like "use the stun gun and shoot him in the face.""

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Solo said:
Just got a Ladies Man achievement for being a fucking pimp and charming info out of a broad
Jensen is a very attractive and persuasive man... What can I say.

Linkzg said:
maybe the game should have had an MGS style help system. Otacon Prichard could drop a line like "use the stun gun and shoot him in the face.""
Yes... just like people whining over a quest that doesn't tell you exactly where to go.

Something about not having nice things.

got my pacifist while doing foxiest of the hound, but faild achieve foxiest. maybe its because i run pass enemies while they were attacking malik. the radar was red, i thought they were only focused on and hostile to malik, maybe i was wrong.

Solo

Linkzg said:

Maybe the game should have a win button.

Salsa

1st boss: just fucking stay behind a column and wait till he overheats and shoot it 2 or 3 times in the head with a sniper rifle, he was out in 20 seconds. No need to stun him or anything.

SalsaShark said:
1st boss: just fucking stay behind a column and wait till he overheats and shoot it 2 or 3 times in the head with a sniper rifle, he was out in 20 seconds. No need to stun him or anything.
first boss, blow up the barrel behind him first, then two grenades + 3 high power sniper or 5 magnum shots, then he's done!
second boss, 3 emp + 10 magnum, she's done
3rd boss, 4 rocket + some emp, done!
4th boss, straight up laser gun in the face, done

MechaX

Stallion Free said:
I love how people come running in here calling bullshit on the bosses. Try stopping and thinking about your approach.

The first boss actually does allow for some creativity in how you handle it.

The second boss is pretty shitty regardless, though. If you don't have EMP Shielding or decent points in Typhoon, you're in for a pretty lengthy battle no matter what you do.

Third boss is screwy for one obvious reason. But that notwithstanding, the boss is more boring than actually challenging.

Fourth boss is more of a "... okay... What in the fuck am I supposed to do?" for the first two minutes than anything really bullshit filled.

Solo

MechaX said:
The second boss is pretty shitty regardless, though. If you don't have EMP Shielding or decent points in Typhoon, you're in for a pretty lengthy battle no matter what you do.

Not true. I had neither. Just ran to all the ammo lockers, picked up the EMP grenades, threw one, did a bunch of headshots while she was stunned, and repeated again. Fight lasted about 2 minutes.

this game make me want to play the original deus ex and holy shit that game is so dated, there isn't even a map and the area are huge, I've just saved hostages in the subway and it was pure luck, I got into a vent and the vent network is huge with lots of branches, it was total dark so I have to use flashlight, which drain battery (and it's not recharging, so if I run out of battery inside that vent I'd be totally lost) I managed to find the hostages through the vent and rescue them even though I don't find them attached to any bomb like the mission objective stated, which make me wonder if I'm doing things right.

now I just got into hell's kitchen which I assume is my first hub town, I got a bunch of sidequest like got to my brother's apartment and there's still no map to guide me where to go. this game is way too hardcore for me.

Stallion Free said:

You're in the minority on this one. Then again, maybe you're just smarter than everyone else(it's ok, I said it for you).

I got him, a combination of the gas canisters, the 4 red barrels, an EMP grenade, a couple hits from the stun gun and a clip and a half or so of machine pistol(on Give Me Deus Ex). Not looking forward to the other two(?) guys...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MechaX said:
I had neither of those things and yet I had the boss complete in about 30 seconds. Mindblowing, right?

i never go for head shots on bosses, i just go for body shots with magnum or sniper, they can't fall pretty fast. 10 magnum or sniper bullets is all i need

Conciliator said:
You're in the minority on this one. Then again, maybe you're just smarter than everyone else(it's ok, I said it for you).

I got him, a combination of the gas canisters, the 4 red barrels, an EMP grenade, a couple hits from the stun gun and a clip and a half or so of machine pistol(on Give Me Deus Ex). Not looking forward to the other two(?) guys...
The hell? He should've been down with the first two things you did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsa5Z4wvoa8 (recorded on Give Me Deus Ex)

L00P

Solo said:
Not true. I had neither. Just ran to all the ammo lockers, picked up the EMP grenades, threw one, did a bunch of headshots while she was stunned, and repeated again. Fight lasted about 2 minutes.
If you had the typhoon the fight would last in seconds

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Solo said:
Can you kill any of the bosses just by throwing shit at them? Dumpsters, etc? That would be awesome.

I don't see why not. They don't seem to be immune to any form of damage.

(Except for Q attacks, every bosss just seems to kick Jesen's ass when I tried to get in close.)

MechaX

Solo said:

I tried something similar to that approach and I don't know if it was just luck of the draw, but
whenever I approached another locker to restock, she would come out of cover almost immediately and unleash her typoon-like weapon. Nine times out of ten, it would instantly set off a generator, stunning her and pretty much frying me completely.

Finished the game, had to switch DX11 off because it was crashing every 5 minutes, other than that I really dug the game, it's pretty much the hybrid shooter/rpg that Bioware wishes M.E. could be.

Qwomo

Solo said:
Can you kill any of the bosses just by throwing shit at them? Dumpsters, etc? That would be awesome.
The first boss is optimally killed by throwing barrels and canisters at him, but there's nothing in the other bosses' environments to interact with.

Top Bottom