• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

cackhyena said:
Man....really? Dat guided experience generation.

well, Deus Ex HR find a nice balance for me, it encourage me to explore and find hidden pathways and multiple ways to achieve stuff, I can get easily distracted exploring around the hub town, but when ever I want to focus and get back to the main mission, it's easy to do that just open the map and see where I need to go.

in Deus Ex1, looks like it's way too easy to get lost, and if I stop playing for a while like maybe days and come back to it, looks like it's pretty easy to get lost about where I need to go.

I do admit accomplishing stuff with stealth still satisfying and I can easily see why this game is a big things for it's time, I just wish it was more streamlined a bit. I'll continue playing but probably prepare a guide to help me around.

shintoki said:
Yes... just like people whining over a quest that doesn't tell you exactly where to go.

Something about not having nice things.
Amir0x said:
man hand holding is for lamers
Solo said:
Maybe the game should have a win button.

never played an MGS game before?

In a metal gear game, you have the option to call your support team for hints. key: it's optional, just like the highlighting and objective markers in DXHR. I don't see how you can get stuck on the boss battles, but still, people seem to have problems. Maybe it's because it uses a completely different skill set than 97% percent of the game.

and you can have nice things. it just doesn't have to be at the expense of others. There's nothing wrong with help for players who need it if it's optional. It's better than aliening that audience, or worse, designing games for that audience.

personally, there were no problems. but I play my share of eastern bloc eurojank rpgs.

ArjanN said:
So, no-one managed to decrypt the encoded Deus Ex announcement yet?

I think it backfired. I've checked quite a few forums and for the most part everyone is like "meh and I was expecting some cool, possibly free, DLC, back to playing DE:HR it is!"

Almost nobody cares enought to decode it XD

Reave

Clevinger said:
Comparing this game to MGS is kind of an insult to it.
If you're comparing it to MGS4, then yes... it's a bit unfair to compare. Human Revolution is way better of an experience in my opinion. As for the MGS games before it, then it can be a bit disputable.

KorrZ

Wow, going on my second playthrough trying to get Pacifist/Foxiest/Give me DE achievements, and it's crazy how fast you can get through this game when you just take all the hidden paths and don't kill or even knock out anyone. I'm 2 hours in and about to leave Detroit...first time it took me 12 hours to get to this point.

ArjanN

angular graphics said:
I think it backfired. I've checked quite a few forums and for the most part everyone is like "meh and I was expecting some cool, possibly free, DLC, back to playing DE:HR it is!"

Almost nobody cares enought to decode it XD

That's kind of the reaction I've been seeing, which is IMO pretty lame.

I think some encryption ARG stuff is totally in the spirit of Deus Ex.

Here's a link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Deusex/comments/jycn/i_heard_there_was_an_special_announcement_today/

There's threads on the offical and steam forums as well.

Echoplx

ArjanN said:
That's kind of the reaction I've been seeing, which is IMO pretty lame.

I think some encryption ARG stuff is totally in the spirit of Deus Ex.

I guess they think they can pull off a Valve.

So just finished up with China. Holy crap at the
room full of lasers
. Probably not impressive to most people but I was jumping, ducking and diving around like crazy. So much fun. Now I want to go watch Entrapment....

ArjanN

3chopl0x said:
I guess they think they can pull off a Valve.

But it actually makes more sense with Deus Ex than with Portal 2.

And I figure the people who actually solve these things, i.e. people who play ARGs, are working on it, they're generally way over your head if you're not into this sort of thing.

Vaporak

Lyphen said:
He is indeed. Wish they did more with him and Jensen though. They had great lines together.

Jenson: Contact me if you find something out.
Pritchard: You mean when.
Jenson: Pretty sure I didn't.

:lol

Echoplx

ArjanN said:
But it actually makes more sense with Deus Ex than with Portal 2.

And I figure the people who actually solve these things, i.e. people who play ARGs, are working on it, they're generally way over your head if you're not into this sort of thing.

I'd agree that it makes much more sense, but that wasn't my point. Only Valve can pull off ARGs.

Ah, man.

I think I'm falling out of love. The more I play, the less it seems to resonate with me. I love its core stealth mechanic, but I think I'd be more fond of it were it devoid of such a meaty RPG/"choice" element, which only speaks for me as a gamer, rather than to the quality of the game. There just seems to be a whole lot of frustration/'trial and error' gameplay seeping its way in, as well as a lack of focus in the narrative. I'm not really keen on going back to it, to be honest, which is a shame, because it certainly started out with a bang.

I'd actually prefer this game as a linear experience (similar in scope to the Prologue) with more refined stealth mechanics and simpler upgrade avenues - something along the lines of the weapon stations in Bioshock, 'cause its espionage gameplay sure trounces the shit out of its gunplay.

legbone

i am loving this game and it may end up being my favorite game in the last several years but the ps3 soundtrack situation is fucking bullshit. the main reason i purchased the augmented edition was for the soundtrack. well, too bad i can't access it. i don't have a bd drive in my computer. i emailed square enix to find out how i can access the content i paid for. they basically told me tough shit. i cannot listen to the soundtrack. there is no reason for this. i can listen to my infamous 2 soundtrack just fine on my ps3 but not this one. people bitch and moan about drm as a consumer rights violation but no one seems to care that shit like this goes on. FUCK YOU SQUARE ENIX, FUCK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Echoplx

legbone said:
i am loving this game and it may end up being my favorite game in the last several years but the ps3 soundtrack situation is fucking bullshit. the main reason i purchased the augmented edition was for the soundtrack. well, too bad i can't access it. i don't have a bd drive in my computer. i emailed square enix to find out how i can access the content i paid for. they basically told me tough shit. i cannot listen to the soundtrack. there is no reason for this. i can listen to my infamous 2 soundtrack just fine on my ps3 but not this one. people bitch and moan about drm as a consumer rights violation but no one seems to care that shit like this goes on. FUCK YOU SQUARE ENIX, FUCK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could always just download it.. May still technically be 'illegal' but morally I think it's fine in a case like yours.

ArjanN

3chopl0x said:
I'd agree that it makes much more sense, but that wasn't my point. Only Valve can pull off ARGs.

I always got the impression there was a decent sized group of internet Rainmen that live for this sort of stuff.

legbone

i shouldn't have to risk viruses to listen to what i paid for. it's just ridiculous. i cannot believe more people haven't had issues with this.

legbone said:

Both my gaming PC and my media PC have Blu-ray drives in them. One's a Blu-ray burner, no less.

Eusis

legbone said:
It's probably because most people here just got the game on PC and so either had that stuff on a DVD (I assume) or downloaded it through Steam. But yeah, stuff like that should be on a CD, especially since then I can get all my information downloaded since companies sometimes don't bother to label this stuff like they should in .mp3 or .wav format.

mAcOdIn

legbone said:
What's the actual issue here? What does DRM have to do with this? Is it locked in WMAs or something? Is it that the soundtrack is on the BR as opposed to being on a seperate CD and since you can't pop the BR in your computer to rip or copy the soundtrack that you can't use it? If it's that I dunno if they screwed you out of anything although I could see where one could say they might not have stressed what format the soundtrack would come on, I dunno as I didn't pay attention to that.

Deadly

Man I can't believe how long this game is. I've been playing since Wednesday/Thursday and I'm still not done! Been so long since I've played such a long and awesome game. Loving it.

How much do I have left? I'm in
Singapore

legbone

i have a 10 year old computer and a new netbook. i'm boned. guess i will have to find someone with a bd drive to download it and then email it to me. if that will work. problem is, i can't think of anyone with a bd drive in their computer around here. i live in small town fucking arkansas (immigrant not native). 9 out of 10 people here don't know what a bd drive is.

edit: drm really has nothing to do with it. i'm just ranting. people complain about drm all day but no one seems to complain when they can't actually get the goods they paid for. infamous 2 had a soundtrack on the disc and i got it just fine. square just sucks.

legbone said:
i have a 10 year old computer and a new netbook. i'm boned. guess i will have to find someone with a bd drive to download it and then email it to me. if that will work. problem is, i can't think of anyone with a bd drive in their computer around here. i live in small town fucking arkansas (immigrant not native). 9 out of 10 people here don't know what a bd drive is.

Maybe you can find an Internet caffee or a computer store - I'm sure if you explain the situation to them they will help.

legbone said:
Ask someone here. I'd gladly do it but I don't have a bd drive. But can't you just download it off a torrent? The odds of getting a virus would be very small. I only have the regular version so I can't get it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Deadly said:
Man I can't believe how long this game is. I've been playing since Wednesday/Thursday and I'm still not done! Been so long since I've played such a long and awesome game. Loving it.

How much do I have left? I'm in
Singapore

Where you are is the second last mission.

legbone

ahh fuck it. just had to vent. well, i'm off to shanghai. gotta get my mind off of it. had i known this i would have bought it on 360. it's just the reason i bought the augmented edition. i'm super bummed.

mAcOdIn

legbone said:

edit: drm really has nothing to do with it. i'm just ranting. people complain about drm all day but no one seems to complain when they can't actually get the goods they paid for. infamous 2 had a soundtrack on the disc and i got it just fine. square just sucks.
Well, I mean, DRM is kind of a different issue really, DRM is like say you have the file but you can't play it, even though you have it because you're not using the right software, or prohibits you from moving it or listening to it on something that should. If Square just distributed them as unprotected mp3s or something on the disc then I don't actually think anything nefarious was done here, they gave you full control over those songs, you can copy those files to whatever you want and listen to them where ever you want, it's the ultimate freedom.

So the issue here is one of communication, not control or consumer rights, where they forthcoming before the release regarding how the soundtrack was to be included with the Augmented Edition beforehand? Did they say it'd be included on the BR which would sort of entail needing a BR enabled PC to access it, or even worse, hint at some lame ability to just listen through the in-game menu or something, or did they never mention it which would have implied to most people that it would be on a separate CD? There's an issue here but like I said, I think it comes down to disseminating information not stripping anyone's rights away, trying to rip anyone off or actually block people from accessing paid content.

Edit: Wait, so it was supposed to be on a DVD but it's actually a BR disc? Ok, yeah, that's pretty fucked up. Also fucking weird.

epmode

angular graphics said:
Yeah, that's definitely the problem you are experiencing then.

I would simply increase the voltage instead of RMAing it: you won't harm the card by setting it just a bit higher (where it should operate in the first place!), and it won't put it out of warranty if you do it by software (instead of making a permanent change by using a modified BIOS for example).

Also by RMAing it you won't be sure they won't send you another of the same "faulty" batch....

But that's just me, it's up to you to decide what to do. In any case let us know what happens :)
Thanks for this. I have one of those EVGA factory overclocked cards (bought it more for the warranty than the overclocking). While bumping up the voltage to the next step didn't help, lowering everying to the stock settings seems to have worked. No crashes in ~2 hours. If this keeps up, I guess it's all due to an unstable OC!

So is this the kind of thing I should bring up with EVGA or should I live with stock settings when it comes to DX11 stuff? I don't know if they'd bother with an RMA for something like this.

PBalfredo

Vaporak said:
Jenson: Contact me if you find something out.
Pritchard: You mean when.
Jenson: Pretty sure I didn't.

:lol
I LOVE that fact that Jenson hates Pritchard as much as I do.

I always hate it in game when the player character takes crap from NPC constantly. This game does NOT have that problem. Both in the story, like Jenson back sassing Pritchard at every opportunity, or in gameplay which allows me to punch the fuck out of any NPC I don't like.

mAcOdIn

legbone said:
yea!, i know all of this. just venting because they never said a bd drive on a computer would be required. you know, considering i'm playing the fucking game on a bd drive!
Yeah, now I see why you're pissed, all the literature states you get a Bonus DVD included that stuff, it never says the other disc is a BR, it's labeled wrong on all currently shipped boxes and was marketed wrong beforehand, they clearly should have responded to the issue already.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
legbone said:

For what it's worth, the soundtrack is bullshit. More like a sample pack. I think it's 13 minutes long or something?

You're better off listening to the full tracks on YouTube.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Zefah said:
For what it's worth, the soundtrack is bullshit. More like a sample pack. I think it's 13 minutes long or something?

You're better off listening to the full tracks on YouTube.
Mass Effect 2 pulled that bullshit as well with their special edition "soundtrack." So irritating.

klownboots said:
So just finished up with China. Holy crap at the
room full of lasers
. Probably not impressive to most people but I was jumping, ducking and diving around like crazy. So much fun. Now I want to go watch Entrapment....

Oceans 12 did it better. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtK2qyQJcOc&hd=1

On topic again; I just got to the point where I fly over to China on my second, hard playthrough. Loving this game even more than the first playthrough, mainly because I'm more playing more offensive, which allows me more freedom to do what I want. My first time was 85 percent stealth and 15 percent guns blazing, and while I won't be going nuts shooting everything I see, I will certainly be making better use of my weapons as they were intended. Aka, shooting dudes appropriately. :)

I also tend to kill the assholes in the game more than just randomly, though I have shot some due to them being too far away to tackle hand to hand. But other than that, in this playthrough, Jensen is let off the leash a lot more than before. :)

Twas incredibly satisfying as well to be able to kill the first boss within 45 seconds too, maybe less I'm not sure. Stunning him with an explosive, a couple EMP nades, and a couple concussion nades, while throwing barrels at him finished him off really easily. Whereas my first encounter with him ended up with me dying multiple times and constantly raging at how ridiculously stupid the battle was. It felt great to be able to finish him off so fluently, without breaking a sweat, so to speak.

Loving the experience even more than before, which I didn't think was possible.

knitoe

epmode said:
Thanks for this. I have one of those EVGA factory overclocked cards (bought it more for the warranty than the overclocking). While bumping up the voltage to the next step didn't help, lowering everying to the stock settings seems to have worked. No crashes in ~2 hours. If this keeps up, I guess it's all due to an unstable OC!

So is this the kind of thing I should bring up with EVGA or should I live with stock settings when it comes to DX11 stuff? I don't know if they'd bother with an RMA for something like this.
RMA it. It's advertise to run at o/c speed and it doesn't.

Amir0x

Banned
Linkzg said:
never played an MGS game before?

In a metal gear game, you have the option to call your support team for hints. key: it's optional, just like the highlighting and objective markers in DXHR. I don't see how you can get stuck on the boss battles, but still, people seem to have problems. Maybe it's because it uses a completely different skill set than 97% percent of the game.

and you can have nice things. it just doesn't have to be at the expense of others. There's nothing wrong with help for players who need it if it's optional. It's better than aliening that audience, or worse, designing games for that audience.

personally, there were no problems. but I play my share of eastern bloc eurojank rpgs.

this is the argument for this super guide shit lately too.

bollocks on that. stop pussifying all gamers already, I say. Gotta man up to defeat some easy ass boss like this. back in the NES days we didn't have no hint system gonna be all 'go find the RED GLOWY EXPLOSIVE BARRELS and launch it at the bosses head' and shit. We just went and did it. 'Cause a barrel and a boss meant explosions, and we all know how that shit went down.

Top Bottom