• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

legbone said:
yea!, i know all of this. just venting because they never said a bd drive on a computer would be required. you know, considering i'm playing the fucking game on a bd drive!

This sounds stupid, but did you go to your PS3's XMB, move over to the Music pane, and look to see if the soundtrack appears there?

highrider

Banned
i guess there are pretty wide opinions on the gunplay, but imo it's pretty good. i haven't found it tedious which is more than i can say for mass effect or mgs4. the gun models, reload animations and substantial feel of the weapons is a cut above a typical shootery rpg hybrid.

Amir0x said:
this is the argument for this super guide shit lately too.

bollocks on that. stop pussifying all gamers already, I say. Gotta man up to defeat some easy ass boss like this. back in the NES days we didn't have no hint system gonna be all 'go find the RED GLOWY EXPLOSIVE BARRELS and launch it at the bosses head' and shit. We just went and did it. 'Cause a barrel and a boss meant explosions, and we all know how that shit went down.

You seriously need to get Serious Sam 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoNFAynzrI4

"When men were men, cover was for pussies, and pulling a trigger meant things go boom."

Zeliard

Callibretto said:
this game make me want to play the original deus ex and holy shit that game is so dated, there isn't even a map and the area are huge, I've just saved hostages in the subway and it was pure luck, I got into a vent and the vent network is huge with lots of branches, it was total dark so I have to use flashlight, which drain battery (and it's not recharging, so if I run out of battery inside that vent I'd be totally lost) I managed to find the hostages through the vent and rescue them even though I don't find them attached to any bomb like the mission objective stated, which make me wonder if I'm doing things right.

now I just got into hell's kitchen which I assume is my first hub town, I got a bunch of sidequest like got to my brother's apartment and there's still no map to guide me where to go. this game is way too hardcore for me.

First Deus Ex was really, really awesome about that sort of stuff.

No radar so you had to generally look around corners yourself to see where the enemies were while in stealth, using lean or later augs like upgraded vision enhancement.

The maps you got as part of your various mission "images" were far from the maps you see these days since they were generic, often little-detailed designs of the entire area, and there were no markers on them at all, so you first had to figure out where you physically were in relation to the map and then head in the direction you wanted to.

The highlight feature also worked much better than it does in HR, highlighting only one item at a time and within a very short range (you had to practically be on top of something for it to highlight, which meant you had to actually explore). I wouldn't have turned it off in HR if they'd just kept it that way.

Finally finished the game...holy shit was that awesome....
i went with the "tell everyone the fuckin truth" darrow ending.....pretty moving stuff....i also like the end end after the credits.....very mgs 1esque......also them playing original deus ex song at very very end was awesome......only part of this game that really bothered me was the one boss fight with the black chick....so fuckin annoying cause my guy was built for stealth which made her stupid difficult. ....also this game shoulda had a new game+ with ur current char and items in tack......

Other than that...excellent game.....and contender for my goty

klownboots said:
True, but Catherine Zeta Jones...

datass.gif

1042q0z.gif

Her ass looks great when it's up, but when she's flat, it looks kinda flat too. :/

But whatever, she's still gorgeous. :)

Edit: Damn, just thought, CZJ could be a good Malik for a Deus Ex HR movie.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Hengsha = most atmospheric environment ever depicted in a game.

I bet there was a lot of art exchange between the Montreal team and the Kane & Lynch 2 team.

I thought Jensens apartment was just as atmospheric tbh. Wish we went there more often, even if it was a small area. The music that plays elevates the atmosphere completely.

The English Conquistador said:
I thought Jensens apartment was just as atmospheric tbh. Wish we went there more often, even if it was a small area. The music that plays elevates the atmosphere completely.

Yup, the sad violin music was really good there.

spindoctor said:
Yup, the sad violin music was really good there.

:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cIbVP0W0y8&list=FLxVxDK55AKqdiBM0nuHff2w&index=15&feature=plpp

It's not on the soundtrack which is pretty shitty. A lot music from the game isn't on there. Luckily, the guy/girl who uploaded that song has all of the rest.

Really loved walking into Jensens room, as the window blinds come up and the birds fly past the window. All the while, this music playing in the background.

Poor Jensen. :(

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
While playing I lost my ability to press down on the d-pad. It still works (checked in menu) but it no longer activates my ability. Has this happened to anyone else?

Bread

Banned
I'm going through the game without killing anyone, I'm only like 2 missions in. What are the best augments to use for a stealth playthrough?

Dresden

The homing bullet attachment for machine pistols and combat rifles is cool as fuck. It's too bad that getting takedowns (or double takedowns) is so much cooler than any of the guns.

Bread said:
I'm going through the game without killing anyone, I'm only like 2 missions in. What are the best augments to use for a stealth playthrough?

Cloaking System will be vital if you want to take down enemies silently in later parts of the game (if you want to leave every single guard unconscious for extra xp)
Jump Enhancement and Move/Throw Heavy Objects will give you acces to most back doors (vents)
at least hacking of level 4 to deal with cameras and doors

Dresden said:
The homing bullet attachment for machine pistols and combat rifles is cool as fuck. It's too bad that getting takedowns (or double takedowns) is so much cooler than any of the guns.

The best takedowns are the lethal ones. It's too bad that part of the game is ruined by the fact that a lethal takedown in this game is as loud as firing a rocket launcher at the nearest wall. What the fuck, Eidos Montreal?

Bread

Banned
Vulcano's assistant said:
Cloaking System will be vital if you want to take down enemies silently in later parts of the game
Jump Enhancement and Move/Throw Heavy Objects will give you acces to most back doors (vents)
at least hacking of level 4 to deal with cameras and doors
Ok thanks, I used 4 points on stealth stuff like the vision cone and the marker where you were last seen, were those bad choices?

Hacking level 5 isn't a bad investment since it makes detection on everything but level 4 nodes 15% (this encompasses about 90% of the nodes you'll come across).

This includes maxed out hacking stealth which is a necessity for hacking.

Bread said:
Ok thanks, I used 4 points on stealth stuff like the vision cone and the marker where you were last seen, were those bad choices?

The more you play the less you will need them because you will be able to read the enemies easily. The marker that shows where you were last seen is of no use if you plan to get the GHOST xp bonus.

Trouble

Banned
The English Conquistador said:
Dat woodwork. I want that shit in my place so bad.

Unknown Soldier said:
The best takedowns are the lethal ones. It's too bad that part of the game is ruined by the fact that a lethal takedown in this game is as loud as firing a rocket launcher at the nearest wall. What the fuck, Eidos Montreal?
I would be doing lethal takedowns on my second playthrough if they hadn't implemented the idea that lethal takedowns make inexplicably huge amounts of noise, but nonlethal ones somehow don't.

As it is, there's no reason to do a lethal takedown unless you're facing active hostiles and really really want to see the cool armblades. You get extra XP for non-lethal, and if you're in position to do a takedown then you're probably safe enough to drag them away without being spotted.

Paches

The eyeborg documentary they released is freaking awesome. Those prosthetic arms were wayyyyy further along than I ever knew about.

red731

I just played a little, but damn! I like what I experienced so far. I went good old nonlethal way. Not any kill in intro even. So much paths. So much distraction making with boxes and what not.

Today I will sink in much deeper. End faster you work you!

EmCeeGramr said:
I would be doing lethal takedowns on my second playthrough if they hadn't implemented the idea that lethal takedowns make inexplicably huge amounts of noise, but nonlethal ones somehow don't.

As it is, there's no reason to do a lethal takedown unless you're facing active hostiles and really really want to see the cool armblades. You get extra XP for non-lethal, and if you're in position to do a takedown then you're probably safe enough to drag them away without being spotted.

yeah, lethal takedowns make some sense against alerted enemies as a melee attack.

I guess they didn't expect people to be cruel enough to murder innocent guards until provoked. Canada, so peaceful~

there really needed to be a base melee attack or weapon that didn't use energy

I feel like the lethal route seems like the wrong thing to do most of the time. I mean, Jensen is the one sneaking around where he shouldn't and it seems reasonable that these facilities would have armed guards.

The only times I felt any inclination to shoot guards have been in the beginning and upon returning to Hengsha (where I'm at now).

That said, I'm gonna cause a bloodbath during my next playthrough.

just finished this up on 360

great game, probably my GOTY at this point, but I was honestly expecting more out of it, I guess my expectations were too high...

More than anything the game felt kind of lifeless, easy, and predictable after awhile. The story and gameplay were entertaining/interesting enough to keep my attention all the way up until the end credits, but I just feel like they kind of sold themselves short and played it too safe with a lot of design decisions.

On my hard playthrough, i never saw the Ghost bonus pop up if i ever did a takedown on someone through the mission. It was always, "Getting Things done." I always reloaded if i ever went hostile even for a second and never set off an alarm, so i know i should have been getting it, unless its only for sneak only, regardless of stealth and no takedowns or sleeping guards? Can anyone confirm?

Like I said, the only time I killed anyone in Detroit in this second playthrough was when some gang members started running up on me.

Then I got to China and fuck Harvesters and Belltower, I really could not give less of a shit.

The ones holding Ning in a storage unit got crossbow'd to a wall as a warning for the rest. :mad:

Zeliard

Harvesters are assholes but pretty awesome-looking. And I like the concept around them, as these low-level thugs who scavenge various aug parts.

EmCeeGramr said:
Like I said, the only time I killed anyone in Detroit in this second playthrough was when some gang members started running up on me.

Then I got to China and fuck Harvesters and Belltower, I really could not give less of a shit.

The ones holding Ning in a storage unit got crossbow'd to a wall as a warning for the rest. :mad:

ok, what pisses me off is that
Tong can't ever be killed.

Zeliard said:
Harvesters are assholes but pretty awesome-looking. And I like the concept around them, as these low-level thugs who scavenge various aug parts.

one of the harvesters reminded me of Garam from Jet Grind Radio. I only felt bad for choking him out.

Zeliard

Linkzg said:
ok, what pisses me off is that
Tong can't ever be killed.

Speaking of him, was anyone fooled in that first meeting? The character was far too badass-looking to
just be some mere bartender.
He had me fooled for roughly .5 seconds. :p

tiff

Banned
Linkzg said:
I guess they didn't expect people to be cruel enough to murder innocent guards until provoked. Canada, so peaceful~
No, it's just a holdover from DX1's game balance. There was no XP in that game, so they balanced lethal vs. nonlethal by the amount of noise each made. "A non-lethal takedown is always the most silent way to eliminate resistance."

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
i'm sorry gaf. i rented DE:HR. Just couldn't get into it, played for about 3 hours, and just found it really boring. Just not a game for me I suppose.

*runs*

Zeliard said:
Speaking of him, was anyone fooled in that first meeting? The character was far too badass-looking to
just be some mere bartender.
He had me fooled for roughly .5 seconds. :p

He was just too detailed, never fooled me for a second.

Btw: People playing pc with dx11, have you noticed that some characters have heavily tessellated boot soles? I mean, whats the point of punting that many polygons there?

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Well just finished the game and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I did the mix and match, if I needed to kill, so be it, but most times I tried to be stealthy. The next play through is going to be all stealth. As for weapon choices a fully modded revolver was so awesome. Same with the 10mm pistol fully modded, the other weapons really started to take up to much space.

tiff said:
No, it's just a holdover from DX1's game balance. There was no XP in that game, so they balanced lethal vs. nonlethal by the amount of noise each made. "A non-lethal takedown is always the most silent way to eliminate resistance."

Not really. I could stand behind a guy and Dragon's Tooth sword his head and he would go WAAAAAH! and fall down and nobody else in the room would notice.

Top Bottom