• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Swifty

tiff said:
No, it's just a holdover from DX1's game balance. There was no XP in that game, so they balanced lethal vs. nonlethal by the amount of noise each made. "A non-lethal takedown is always the most silent way to eliminate resistance."
I like how they conveyed that mechanic by making all NPCs scream a horrific "GYAAAAGH" when they died.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Has anybody deciphered the main menu codes? No? Alright then.

tiff

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Not really. I could stand behind a guy and Dragon's Tooth sword his head and he would go WAAAAAH! and fall down and nobody else in the room would notice.
Huh. Deus Ex continues to be unintentionally hilarious, I guess.

So is there some kind of trick to doing a two-person takedown? Are nonlethal ones even available? I'm at this one console in the Tai Yung tower where two security guys are standing next to each other, and it feels like I should be able to do a two-man takedown, but I just can't seem to manage it. Should it be lethal or is there some trick to it? (And yes, I have the aug)

Ken

SpaceDrake said:
So is there some kind of trick to doing a two-person takedown? Are nonlethal ones even available? I'm at this one console in the Tai Yung tower where two security guys are standing next to each other, and it feels like I should be able to do a two-man takedown, but I just can't seem to manage it. Should it be lethal or is there some trick to it? (And yes, I have the aug)

You can do both lethal and non-lethal double takedowns the same way you perform a lethal and non-lethal single takedown. If enemies are friendly towards you, which happens in TYM tower, there won't be a prompt but as long as you get close to both of them you should be able to do it. If you're scared it won't trigger, just save before trying a takedown and reload if it fails.

toasty_T said:
You should then get a prompt to take out both.

It won't give him a prompt if the guards are friendly, IIRC.

Enco

Vulcano's assistant said:
He was just too detailed, never fooled me for a second.

Btw: People playing pc with dx11, have you noticed that some characters have heavily tessellated boot soles? I mean, whats the point of punting that many polygons there?
Haha yup.

The shoe soles are crazy detailed. Makes dragging them around more fun :p Pretty useless though.

SpaceDrake said:
You need to get about an equal distance between 2 guards (the distance to perform a takedown).

You should then get a prompt to take out both.

SpaceDrake said:

It's context-sensitive, so if those guys aren't flagged for it, you can't do it. You might as well just shotgun their faces instead if it won't let you double-takedown their asses, serves them right.

Salsa

Man, saving
----Malik----
was great, there was these sniping dudes up on a roof that i couldnt get to on time, so i threw an exploding barrel up there, shot it in the air; boom, both dead. One of my favorite things to do on an FPS, and even more fun if you are augmented, lol.

First part of the game when i realized it really does work as a guns blazing affair as well.

Zeliard

EmCeeGramr said:
remember, anonlethaltakedownisalwaysthemostsilenttakedown

Which is amusing here where you're bashing skulls, breaking arms and smashing people to the floor. The only one that's any silent at all is the choke from behind, but even with that one he just lets them fall to the ground loudly like a sack of potatoes. :p

Also anyone seen this lethal takedown in the full game? At 1 min 58 secs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY3YPIoqIU4#t=1m58s

Video is labeled preview/beta so I dunno if they removed it from the full game. Because that thing is pretty fucking neat and makes Jensen seem like an even crazier mechanical freak monster.

Wag

I have the stealth "TAG" skill. Once you get that you can kill someone with a 10MM Pistol w/Distance Enhancement from really far away. You can shoot someone in the head without even being able to really see their head at all.

thefil

Okay, wrapped up the Detroit hub (I think) and starting to love the game a lot more, if for the wrong reasons.

After stunning
O' Malley
, I dragged him down, out of the apartment building to the quest giver. Unfortunately, the game civilian AI took over and she started cowering in front of the unconscious body. I was forced to drag the body all over Detroit until I found a sewer to throw it in (after getting killed by the police a few times).

His face is down so hopefully it's not a spoiler:
24wvpjo.jpg

1y5req.jpg

Also had to deal with an alert in the
police station
, after 30 minutes of which I had finally resolved to kill anyone when the alert just disappeared altogether.

Finally, searching Detroit for hidden items was a fun way to remind myself this is Deus Ex. Somehow I managed to miss many of the potential paths during the missions and felt railroaded; by exploring I got a better sense of what the environment is. I managed to find two Praxis Kits which I used to make my inventory big enough to carry the rocket launcher and sniper rifle. Having more weapons also made the combat more fun, as in Deus Ex. I'm basically playing a stealth-until-it-fails lethal run, so it's nice to have many tools on hand.

I still think some of the changes are for the worse, but I respect that they tried their best to compromise between Deus Ex complexity and Splinter Cell Conviction.

Fjordson

The English Conquistador said:
:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cIbVP0W0y8&list=FLxVxDK55AKqdiBM0nuHff2w&index=15&feature=plpp

It's not on the soundtrack which is pretty shitty. A lot music from the game isn't on there. Luckily, the guy/girl who uploaded that song has all of the rest.

Really loved walking into Jensens room, as the window blinds come up and the birds fly past the window. All the while, this music playing in the background.

Poor Jensen. :(
Wow, that is a great song.

Krispy

Does anyone else find it hilarious how some vents/tunnels have lights in them? Thanks Detroit City Planning for helping me get my creep on.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
mAcOdIn said:
I totally disagree. I think it topped the first one, although I will admit that it has now moved slightly towards a new style of game play. The cover system changed a lot regarding the way stealth and gunplay worked compared to the first two, but I do think there was a sort of "step back" with immersion regarding windows, boxes, interactivity with the environment like ATMs, vending machines and stuff like that.

The levels were more linear, I wouldn't say the hubs were that much smaller than stuff in the first Deus Ex but I personally felt that it made sense for the locations they had picked out. There wasn't as many open areas like in the first.

Deus Ex also, in my opinion, made you feel like more of a player in everything than Human Revolution did but again, I think that made sense story wise, Jensen's just a guy working for a company trying to get his people back and find out why his company's getting attacked, he's not a government agent who's slowly peeling back a conspiracy. Again, I think that's just, different, not worse.
I liked the approach in HR. He's not a government agent, but he ends up stumbling upon some major conspiracy.

That said, I didn't feel like the game had any real jaw dropping twists like the original DX did. I enjoyed the story, but it lacked a real "HOLY WTF" moment that both DX and IW had.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't often replay games soon after beating them, but despite having a copy of Grand Knights History on the way, I'm really really tempted to just start a new game of DXHR. What a fucking awesome game.

Enco

L00P said:
People doing only non-lethal takedowns is missing half the fun
I think I may start with the lethal takedowns. Only against people out to kill me. I'll leave people who chat to each other to live (if their convo is cool).

Sprinting down a corridor, being chased by gunmen and jumping down an elevator shaft like a goddamn bad ass is amazing. The other option (from what I could see) was to call the elevator next to the open shaft down I think.

Need to get dermal armor next. Followed by aim stabilizer and silent running/jumping.

Anyone know the use of the infolink upgrades? Allows you to receive what communication anywhere? Seems pretty useless.

Ken

Enco said:
Anyone know the use of the infolink upgrades? Allows you to receive what communication anywhere? Seems pretty useless.

At its most basic level, the package uses tight-band microwave signals when sending and receiving, as well, enabling them to interface with line-of-sight computer terminals or similar devices.

I never grabbed it myself but that sounds kind of useful.

Edit: Actually, I think Jensen has Infolink maxed by default, similar to the Sentinel RX augmentation.

Coxswain said:
The Infolink and the Sentinel Health thing are just for flavour; you start with them maxed out and can never actually upgrade them. They're just the in-story justifications for regenerating health and why Jensen can talk to Pritchard and Sarif without anyone hearing him.

Thanks for the clarification. Although after reading the description, being able to wirelessly interact with computer terminals seems like it could be a cool augmentation.

Edit: Wait, so if Jensen has maxed Infolink by default, which should allow him to wirelessly interact with computers according to the flavor text, why does he stand up in plain sight for everyone to see and shoot at while interacting with computers ?

thetrin

Enco said:
nm

Coxswain

The Infolink and the Sentinel Health thing are just for flavour; you start with them maxed out and can never actually upgrade them. They're just the in-story justifications for regenerating health and why Jensen can talk to Pritchard and Sarif without anyone hearing him.

Almighty

Just finished my first play though. Pretty much played as a terminator killing everything that stood in my way. Busting through walls, doing lethal take downs, mowing people down with the heavy rifle, and so on. Pretty much just tearing the place up. Really enjoyed it.

Now I think I am going to try an non-lethal/stealth build and see if i can keep that up to the end.

I do have a question though I have read that the tranq rifle and the stun gun are bugged and sometime kill or when you come back sometimes people who were knocked out are now dead. Is this true and if so does the game count it as a kill?

Zeliard

Yeah you start with a few augs already installed for storyline purposes. Thought that was actually pretty cool. After all, the premise involves Jensen having already been augmented to some degree. It's neat that they actually put that stuff in the aug menu screen.

54-46!

Did anyone spend point in to the situational awareness skills? they seem completely pointless given how easy it is to stealth your way out of any situation.

Just started the game tonight. 4 hours in.

Oh wow.

OH WOW.

Game is unbelievable. Been exploring every nook and cranny - I love when a game is littered with in game "lore" to enrich the atmosphere. Absolutely incredible so far.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Quick question: when/where do you kick off the
Talion A.D.
quest? I just found
Tong and am being sent to the port
but kinda feel like it's something I should do in regular ol' Hengsha.

Just finished it. Awesome, awesome ride.

I got Foxiest of Hounds and Pacifist. Two very satisfying achievements.

Anyone else notice that 'ol Lambert from Splinter Cell shows up at the very beginning of the game? Well, it's not really Lambert, but the voice actor that portrays him. Was hoping to see more of him in the game, lol. Especially since I played the game all Splinter Cell-Ninja-Like!

Ken

Dan said:
Quick question: when/where do you kick off the
Talion A.D.
quest? I just found
Tong and am being sent to the port
but kinda feel like it's something I should do in regular ol' Hengsha.

In the LIMB clinic in Henghsa, talk to the named doctor standing near the counter by the door to the surgery rooms.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ken said:
In the LIMB clinic in Henghsa, talk to the named doctor standing near the counter by the door to the surgery rooms.
Damn it. I thought I checked for people there when I dropped in. Okay, thanks a bunch.

MrKnives

54-46! said:
Did anyone spend point in to the situational awareness skills? they seem completely pointless given how easy it is to stealth your way out of any situation.

I did. I like playing without firefights and I thought these were a good choice for augments...
They are not bad. Sometimes in situations where there is a lot of movement ja enemies you can pass them super easily.

damn that's nice

17 hours played just
founds all the scientists in the last level and preparing for the next step

>MFW I didn't get Typhoon until the last level but then I got rank 2
Untitled.jpg

also i feel my stats are rather pitiful for how far in the game i am but the cover mechanic and regenerating really help i also like how you can bend around corner twice looking further around the corner

dxhr2011-08-3000-04-07-37.jpg

edit: actually my avatar is MFS

Top Bottom