• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Ken

Balphon said:
I wish I'd known from the beginning that capturing the diagnostic subroutine (the red thing) instantly completes a hack and gives you the contents of every datastore regardless of whether it's been captured. Makes things so much simpler in most cases.

Thanks for nothing, hacking tutorials.
Yeah, the hacking tutorials are kind of barebones.

When the "Advanced Hacking" tutorial popped up at the same time as the first working turret in the game, I thought the tutorial would teach me how to hack and deal with turrets.

eek5

Balphon said:
I wish I'd known from the beginning that capturing the diagnostic subroutine (the red thing) instantly completes a hack and gives you the contents of every datastore regardless of whether it's been captured. Makes things so much simpler in most cases.

Hahaha! I found that out like 50% through the game and now I'm around the 60-65% mark and I have like 40 nuke and stop worms lol

vazel

Banned
Balphon said:

What's the fun in that.

I had lots of fun with the hacking minigame. The only hacking/lockpick minigame I've ever enjoyed.

Zeliard

Haha you guys :p

I do wonder how it works with a gamepad though. Do they slow it down a bit? Few times earlier on I had to use some mouse-fu to get every node I wanted within the allotted time. Then later on you pile up the worms and nukes and it's less of an issue. Haven't gotten any stealth hacking upgrades or anything like that, though.

eek5

Zeliard said:

I do wonder how it works with a gamepad though. Do they slow it down a bit? Few times earlier on I had to use some mouse-fu to get every node I wanted within the allotted time. Haven't gotten any stealth hacking upgrades or anything like that, though.
I play with a controller and switch to mouse to hack. You can't zoom all the way out (hold RT to zoom partially out .. wtf?) You slide over a node and hit X then the direction you want then release. IIRC the time restrictions are the same so it is crazy difficult lol

MrKnives

Jintor said:
The other thing I didn't know is that you can hack multiple nodes at a time.

Yea whenever I was hacking I was all over the place. Can get confusing later on when the system gets big enough.

Salsa

Amir0x said:
man i hope this game does amazing because I am going to be depressed if I never get another Deus Ex of this calibre again :(

I can only see ways for a sequel to be better, so im with you there.

Im more than sure than it did great though, at least on PC (wich is even better) considering more people are playing it on Steam right now than all of the Call of Duty titles combined.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I have max hacking so I never get detected anyway, but it's not bad on a pad at all, I have a stockpile of like 40 nukes I'll never need now. You needed to take advantage of taking over multiple nodes, though. Like aim for a level 4 and when it gets around halfway take over a level 3 so they finish around the same time, stuff like that.

Clevinger

Amir0x said:
man i hope this game does amazing because I am going to be depressed if I never get another Deus Ex of this calibre again :(

Though if it does do well, I can just see the Square Enix guys going, "You know what would be great? If we expanded the market for it even more! Let's do that." like I read from some EA guy said after Dead Space 2's success.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amir0x said:

If it flops I can only assume we're forever stuck in a several year cycle for these kinds of games.

2000 - Deus Ex
2004 - Bloodlines
2011 - Human Revolution

If Human Revolution bombs I predict the next game of its ilk to arrive in ~2020.

Zeliard

Digital distribution was hugely significant with this game, as it is with most modern PC games, so I think there's also little doubt it has done quite well on PC.

abunai

Zeliard said:
Digital distribution was hugely significant with this game, as it is with most modern PC games, so I think there's also little doubt it has done quite well on PC.

Plus it's the UK chart only, not exactly the strongest PC gaming country.

Alright, so I started a new game, this time bumping it down to Normal (first run was on Give Me Deus Ex) with the intention of going apeshit and gunning everybody down. I didn't get my Augmented Edition extras the first time through because I never installed the Aug edition bonus content tools thing installed in Steam when I first started my original run. It's installed now, but I got into the game and it's nowhere to be found. Normally I wouldn't mind, but the C4 and Shotgun were going to be key elements of my massacring.

What gives? I preordered it and had the game preloaded for launch, is this a bug or do I have to do something else other than installing the Aug edition bonus content and starting a new game?

Amir0x

Banned
SalsaShark said:

Im more than sure than it did great though, at least on PC (wich is even better) considering more people are playing it on Steam right now than all of the Call of Duty titles combined.

I can definitely find a few problems with the game to fix. Of course, the big one is the boss fights. I don't mind the idea of having boss fights, but they should be more creative and there should always be a non-lethal way to take 'em down.

Clevinger said:
Though if it does do well, I can just see the Square Enix guys going, "You know what would be great? If we expanded the market for it even more! Let's do that." like I read from some EA guy said after Dead Space 2's success.

Man that would be dumb of them. The success of the game is directly related to how it isn't pandering to the lowest common denominator with all its design decisions. I think the reviews and response back that up. So, they'd have to be really dumb I think...

Daeda said:
Xbox 360 sales of Deus Ex counted for 57 per cent of its total. PlayStation 3 notched up 31 per cent while just 13 per cent of copies were sold on PC - although Chart-Track doesn't count digital downloads.

Human Revolution is already just 26,000 copies away from beating predecessor Deus Ex: Invisible War's lifetime sales.

Fuck yeah re: doing well in Europe

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Amir0x said:

SalsaShark said:

As the game is set 25 years before the original, that leaves a lot of room for a sequel. I haven't finished it yet so I don't know exactly what happens at the end , but 25 years is easily enough time for some more conspiracies to happen.

I would love for this team to get the chance to work on just one more Deus Ex title. Even if it takes another four years.

Zeliard

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Alright, so I started a new game, this time bumping it down to Normal (first run was on Give Me Deus Ex) with the intention of going apeshit and gunning everybody down. I didn't get my Augmented Edition extras the first time through because I never installed the Aug edition bonus content tools thing installed in Steam when I first started my original run. It's installed now, but I got into the game and it's nowhere to be found. Normally I wouldn't mind, but the C4 and Shotgun were going to be key elements of my massacring.

What gives? I preordered it and had the game preloaded for launch, is this a bug or do I have to do something else other than installing the Aug edition bonus content and starting a new game?

Those are retailer exclusives. Fun, eh?

You need the Tactical Enhancement Pack or Explosive Mission Pack or whatever bullshit. A very tiring trend.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Amir0x said:
I can definitely find a few problems with the game to fix. Of course, the big one is the boss fights. I don't mind the idea of having boss fights, but they should be more creative and there should always be a non-lethal way to take 'em down.

I agree, the boss fights are not great. However, they shouldn't be removed completely, as they are part of the Deus Ex experience. It's like fighting Anna and Gunther in the first game, only not set up quite as well and without the option of using killphrases - something that should definitely have been left in.

Zeliard said:
Those are retailer exclusives. Fun, eh?

You need the Tactical Enhancement Pack or Explosive Mission Pack or whatever bullshit. A very tiring trend.

Oh boy. That sure is lame. I wonder if there's like some console commands I can use to unlock them for my game or some shit.

raphier

Banned
Oh wow, just for someone like-minded people out there: You can actually walk back to the beginning of mission afterwards (doors often don't seal locked). I just completed the first mission and wanted to make my own investigations on the matter so I strolled back and to my surprise I could actually get where I wanted without invisible barriers. Hacked some computers, took all items and talked to cops.

Damn this game, man.

damn that's nice

ahh i just beat it and i feel very satisfied it took me maybe 18 hours but i spread it out over almost a week and just savored every bit of it oh god it was such a good game i never expected this much

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Oh, one more thing guys.

Apparently some reviewers have criticised the quantity of ammunition lying around, i.e. not enough.

I am playing on Give Me Deus Ex and have more ammo than I know what to do with. Like, I literally have to manage my inventory to make sure I don't pick up too much, and I have unlocked all the spaces.

What the hell are these people doing?

thelatestmodel said:
Oh, one more thing guys.

Apparently some reviewers have criticised the quantity of ammunition lying around, i.e. not enough.

I am playing on Give Me Deus Ex and have more ammo than I know what to do with. Like, I literally have to manage my inventory to make sure I don't pick up too much, and I have unlocked all the spaces.

they're playing it like call of duty.

Seriously I only had ammo problems once and that was during the second boss (because I was too stupid to realize what to do at the time)

thelatestmodel said:
Oh, one more thing guys.

Was thinking the same thing. Then again, gamepad aiming lol. Doubt any PC reviewers had that issue.

Zomba13

thelatestmodel said:
Oh, one more thing guys.

Yeah, I never had ammo problems. Then again I played it full on stealth and non-lethal (except in bosses). Never ran out of ammo on my main weapons apart from the combat rifle in one boss fight (the second one) and that was because I wasn't carrying much ammo for it.

pahamrick

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Oh boy. That sure is lame. I wonder if there's like some console commands I can use to unlock them for my game or some shit.

You can use CheatEngine to replace items in your inventory to give yourself all the DLC items since they're all in the game, the 'DLC' download is just an unlock code.

Fjordson

Zeliard said:

I do wonder how it works with a gamepad though. Do they slow it down a bit? Few times earlier on I had to use some mouse-fu to get every node I wanted within the allotted time. Then later on you pile up the worms and nukes and it's less of an issue. Haven't gotten any stealth hacking upgrades or anything like that, though.
It was tough at first, but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. And I always have nuke viruses if I get in a jam and need a node instantly.

Angst

TyrantGuardian said:
Was thinking the same thing. Then again, gamepad aiming lol. Doubt any PC reviewers had that issue.
Gamepad aiming works like a charm in this game. I have zero issues getting headshot etc with 360 gamepad on PC.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amir0x said:
Man that would be dumb of them. The success of the game is directly related to how it isn't pandering to the lowest common denominator with all its design decisions. I think the reviews and response back that up. So, they'd have to be really dumb I think...

The future of Deus Ex will be interesting to see, but I'm fairly confident that with strong sales the franchise wont get more simplified. After all, this is a developer that added in the option to turn off object highlights and waypoint markers after fans voalised their issues with such features.

Eidos Montreal, at the very least, seem intent on delivering the deepest experience possible.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
TyrantGuardian said:

Yeah same here, I had more ammo than I could spend, literally, since I had to keep dropping stuff and/or simply not picking up the ammo at all. And I had a fully upgraded inventory at that.

edit : err I genuinely hope we get those retailer packs as DLC options pretty soon. I had no idea that C4 was a part of it, thinking about it an item like that has huge implications on the gameplay. And I don't want to be left out just because I didn't want to pay 150$ for a standard edition at my local gamestop or w/e.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
EatChildren said:
The future of Deus Ex will be interesting to see, but I'm fairly confident that with strong sales the franchise wont get more simplified. After all, this is a developer that added in the option to turn off object highlights and waypoint markers after fans voalised their issues with such features.

Eidos Montreal, at the very least, seem intent on delivering the deepest experience possible.

I'm hoping this will be the case as well. If anything, the development and reception of Human Revolution has proven that there is a huge fanbase out there that is crying out for deep, complex, open-ended games.

Clevinger said:

Yeah this is how it usually works.

A hardcore PC game sold 2M units (which happens once per 5 years on the PC platform)?

WOW! This for sure will never happen again so let us concentrate on expanding the sequel for the console fanbase because that's where real money is!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Angst said:
Gamepad aiming works like a charm in this game. I have zero issues getting headshot etc with 360 gamepad on PC.
Fjordson said:
Gamepad aiming is easy as pie.

agree. the controls are exceedingly tight and enjoyable. when you set them side-by-side with other fprpg shooters the comparison is embarrassing for the opposition, frankly.

Xater

thelatestmodel said:
Oh, one more thing guys.

Same here. I think near the end I had over 600 bullets for the SMG and assault rifle alone.

EatChildren said:
If it flops I can only assume we're forever stuck in a several year cycle for these kinds of games.

2000 - Deus Ex
2004 - Bloodlines
2011 - Human Revolution

If Human Revolution bombs I predict the next game of its ilk to arrive in ~2020.

You forgot System shock 2 in this list. I also just want to mention that I bought every one of those including SS2. ;)

Just completed it.

Clocked in around 38 hours.. and I missed a few side quests (primarily in Hengsha).

It certainly was not a perfect game, but I had so much fun during my play-through that any complaints I had about the game or the mechanics kind of faded away. A few of the bosses made me want to break things.. but it felt good to finally overcome them.

syoaran

Xater said:
Same here. I think near the end I had over 600 bullets for the SMG and assault rifle alone.

You forgot System shock 2 in this list. I also just want to mention that I bought every one of those including SS2. ;)

I ended up running out of stun/tranq ammo a few times in the game, but only when I completely screwed up and got caught multiple times. I also went on a few Tranq frenzies, which didnt help

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Stupid Punks in the convention centre lobby, I came back later and used a well placed Typhoon to take out all 5 of them.

Now its my turf.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I like this game most when I'm running around the city high jumping around buildings and being a total jerk to old co-workers. The stealth sections -- and they are stealth sections for me, because I can't for the life of me work out how to play through lethally with a gun without having to resort to cheap AI-exploits -- aren't really all that enjoyable. If find myself wishing I could just go back to running around the city.

This is all bearable, I guess, because for the most part, on Normal, I can exploit the AI, but now the game has thrown a boss at me now. I don't know, maybe I'm just really stupid, but the only viable tactic I have in combat at the moment is to position myself either FAR away from enemies or in a vent or something and pick them off one-by-one. Now the game is throwing a big bad guy at me in a relatively narrow room with little cover and expects me to have a one-on-one fight? I don't know, once again, I might be missing something here, but this seems really, really stupid.

Jintor

It IS really, really stupid.

Use grenades to stun him and unload into his head. Duck behind cover. Run like fuck when he throws grenades. Rinse, repeat until dead. May take a while.

Goddamn bossfights.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
33-Hit-Combo said:
So, the coded message yesterday- did they explain it?

I'm wondering this as well. I'd love to have a go at translating it, but I don't even know if it's something that can be translated, it's just gibberish.

It must be though, right?

Top Bottom