• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Zeliard

I'd be curious to see how many people missed certain side quests. You can easily miss them simply by not talking to the right person. Like in Hengsha, at some point you see a prostitute arguing with some dude, and if you simply walk by and don't go up and talk to her you miss out on 2 side quests (or rather, one side quest chain with two distinct main objectives).

They do number the side quests so you should be able to tell if you're missing some.

damn that's nice

how many sidequests are there? i'm imagining not more than like 20 right? i did like 1-2 every areas maybe more and i'm still severely underleveled... i was looking for sidequests and when i got them i did all of them, but still my praxis tree feels really weak

also i had no money and i wasn't buying anything

i never bought anything because i had no money i think i fucked myself over because i only took 1 storage upgrade so i didn't loot anything but ammo and credits basically to survive from area to area it's like sarif industries was just fucking my jensen over and giving him no support and honestly that's how i felt

iavi

Does anybody know if using an emp grenade on the sentry mechs at
the end of Hengsha/that rival corporation
vs. using the security panel will effect your pacifist run? I've been going super strong up till this point, to have that fuck me up would send me over an edge.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Zeliard said:
I'd be curious to see how many people missed certain side quests. You can easily miss them simply by not talking to the right person. Like in Hengsha, at some point you see a prostitute arguing with some dude, and if you simply walk by and don't go up and talk to her you miss out on 2 side quests (or rather, one side quest chain with two distinct main objectives).

They do number the side quests so you should be able to tell if you're missing some.
The main missions force you to walk by or encounter like every single quest, they are fairly difficult to miss. I can't blame them for taking that approach either as they put quite a bit of effort into them.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Zeliard said:

Eh, with that one it's pretty obvious since the NPCs around it keep talking about it, and you just go straight once you get to Hengsha. One of the most easily missed is probably Cloak and Dagger since one of the hookers just calls your name and you might not even go over to her to hear that.

jim-jam bongs said:
I'm more interested in how many people robbed their colleagues blind under the guise of searching for a drug thief.

And got all of the hostages killed while doing so! Guilty. :p

glaurung

jim-jam bongs said:
I'm more interested in how many people robbed their colleagues blind under the guise of searching for a drug thief.
What do you mean robbed? I am holding on to their precious credits and they can have them back as soon as they ask me.

Leaving money littered around your office is just wrong.

None have come forward so far.

Zeliard

Stallion Free said:
The main missions force you to walk by or encounter like every single quest, they are fairly difficult to miss. I can't blame them for taking that approach either as they put quite a bit of effort into them.

You walk by them but nothing necessarily presses you to engage them for the most part. Jenny Alexander is standing in a corner for the Cloak & Daggers side quest. There's nothing necessarily pushing you to talk to her as far as I recall. In fact, I didn't talk to her and do that quest till after the first boss fight.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
A GEP Gun takedown is always the most silent way to eliminate Manderley.

and any other "roadblock" character. That was also how I learned that the option to kill Anna even existed. The thing never left my inventory.

Also, it took one shot to kill the "boss" Anna, and two for muahaha dude. Don't know his name, don't care, he ran, I chased, he died. Possibly drowned. It took only a mild bit of effort. He wasn't much of a bullet sponge. :)

That is actually what bugs me in HR: the fact that the game even has bossfights. They have no other purpose then simply being the muahaha-squad, but unlike their future version, they can take a ridiciulous amount of damage. Bullet sponges? Why let's put these in there for no reason! Which is like the biggest cockblock to anyone commited to a non-lethal playstyle without actually telling them so (to fuck off, that is).

I shouldn't have to fundamentally switch playstyles for something that really has no place in a Deus Ex game anyway. Anna, Gunther and so on where characters of interest, but they all died with one or two rockets. One exception taking as much as camouflage and three stealth rockets, but that's as 'crazy' as the first game went.

They are simply not fun at all. Sure, continously stunning the first one is kind of amuzing in a torture fashion, but other than that they all just grenade rush you and no matter what you do or have in terms of augments, if you don't move, you die with a near one-hit kill. But it takes you forever to take THEM down.
I expect most players to say "fuck it" upon the first or second boss.

Maybe I'll enjoy them somewhat with my next psychopath playthrough, but I doubt it will change much.

Also: the way the ending is set up is a bit.. meh-ish. THE END spoiler ahead:
it doesn't delve down to a series of buttons in various locations, like in the first game, but it literally presents you with three buttons and one in the back. I can't be the only one who finds that incredibly lame.
It guess it pleases the fans and all, but looking at how it turned out, I think would have preferred an ending related to playstyle or just one.

Also, the most important question storywise, is never answered: why is adam an ontological paradox?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Zeliard said:
You walk by them but nothing necessarily presses you to engage them for the most part. Jenny Alexander is standing in a corner for the Cloak & Daggers side quest. There's nothing necessarily pushing you to talk to her as far as I recall. In fact, I didn't talk to her and do that quest till after the first boss fight.
Pritchard calls you and tells you to talk to her. That's one step short of having her just grab your face.

iavi

Stallion Free said:
Pritchard calls you and tells you to talk to her. That's one step short of having her just grab your face.

I never got his call, but she does call out to you as you walk by.

damn that's nice

also are you fucking serious

the optional chip implant makes teh final boss harder??? what is it mandatory i kinda remember it not even being a quest

foogles

damn that's nice said:
also are you fucking serious

the optional chip implant makes teh final boss harder??? what is it mandatory i kinda remember it not even being a quest
It's a side quest that you can skip.

Zeliard

Stallion Free said:
Pritchard calls you and tells you to talk to her.

Don't think I ever got that. Only thing I received was a message from Jenny Alexander herself, but it was only to note that she had a lead on a weapon stash with the DRB.

Papercuts said:
Eh, with that one it's pretty obvious since the NPCs around it keep talking about it, and you just go straight once you get to Hengsha. One of the most easily missed is probably Cloak and Dagger since one of the hookers just calls your name and you might not even go over to her to hear that.

I haven't missed a side quest yet, but I was curious since side quests in more modern games tend to telegraph them a lot more conspicuously.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
The game is incredible. I still haven't finished it yet (damn real life commitments), but I've really struggled to put it down and can't stop thinking about it when I do.

The level of immersion is crazy. Off the charts. It's a thing of beauty.

damn that's nice

thelatestmodel said:
The game is incredible. I still haven't finished it yet (damn real life commitments), but I've really struggled to put it down and can't stop thinking about it when I do.

The level of immersion is crazy. Off the charts. It's a thing of beauty.
everyone should buy this game

malfcn

Confused about a mission in Detroit.
I talked to some dude (forgot his name) that was in an apt behind bars.
Don't remember what he wanted me to do, but he is gone now and I don't any questlines for him.

Behind the gas station, and Grayson.

watershed

Banned
I just beat the game. Great game, though I wasn't thrilled by the final level. It had such a different tone than the rest of the game.
I chose to let the whole truth out, then I reloaded and chose to self-destruct
Also one question:
is the dialog after the credits the same no matter what ending? Because after the self-destruct version the man's voice mentions "keep digging through the wreckage" and what is the significance of that scene to the original deus ex (I never played it)

Zeitgeister said:
Also: the way the ending is set up is a bit.. meh-ish. THE END spoiler ahead:
it doesn't delve down to a series of buttons in various locations, like in the first game, but it literally presents you with three buttons and one in the back. I can't be the only one who finds that incredibly lame.
It guess it pleases the fans and all, but looking at how it turned out, I think would have preferred an ending related to playstyle or just one.

Also, the most important question storywise, is never answered: why is adam an ontological paradox?

Response to ending spoilers:

It makes sense given what the ending choices were, there's no point making you run back and forth around the complex just to pick which message to broadcast. You already did run around the complex to get access to those endings in the first place; if you don't meet up with Sarif and Taggart, you only get to choose between self-destruct and broadcasting the unedited message.

I would have preferred a different ending, though. I wanted there to be a 'canon' ending that led directly to DX1, then other endings that would have led to totally, irreconcilably different worlds. The fact that all endings in DX3 could easily lead to DX1 sort of undermines the impact of your choice in my opinion.

I wanted to bomb the statue of liberty!

Enco

On the second boss. Man it's hard.

First was much easier. Doesn't help that I only have a heavy rifle that I got from the previous room. Ran out of ammo in my pistol an combat rifle.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Nitpicks.

I won't spend time gushing over 99% of the game which I love, but here's two things that ruins my shit.

no 1 ) Why didn't you use ingame cutscenes? WHY!? Why do you subject me to total immersion breaking touchedup/lowres/bitrate/whatever cutscenes?

no 2) Very often I got ecstatic over the sight of a potential platforming section. I piled boxes upon boxes and created my own leaning tower in Pisa... only to get to the top of the fence and just when I'm about to jump over my head hits a ceiling or there's simply an invisible wall over the fence. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....In any other game you'd go "what a shame" but in Deus Ex I go " surely I must be doing something wrong ". But no, some segments really pissed me off :(.

Always-honest said:
will i love this game if i loved rainbow six?
Which ones? If Rogue Spear/Raven Shield, then yes, because you clearly have good taste.

If Vegas then... yes, it uses the same shitty cover mechanic, though HR puts it to better use.

But the real answer is of course that they're not really that similar apart from the fact that you have a gun and can take cover.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
First trip to Hengsha side quest question. Spoilers I guess? Just seeign if I got them all.

Ive done the one with Mei for the prostitutes and the Bartender one.

Am I missing any? If so don't tell me where it is just let me know if there is more.

Always-honest said:
will i love this game if i loved rainbow six?

It's more like Splinter Cell than it is like Rainbow Six.

Really more than anything else it feels like a mashup of Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, Mass Effect, and Gears of War, set in the Deus Ex world with general Deus Ex mission and level design. Eidos Montreal basically created a blender game, throw a bunch of shit in a blender and see what comes out. You might get a delicious smoothie, or you might get something entirely unrecognizable as food. DXHR ended up being a delicious smoothie.

Danne-Danger said:
Which ones? If Rogue Spear/Raven Shield, then yes, because you clearly have good taste.

If Vegas then... yes, it uses the same shitty cover mechanic, though HR puts it to better use.

But the real answer is of course that they're not really that similar apart from the fact that you have a gun and can take cover.
All of them but i'm referring to the Vegas games ofcourse. They are frowned upon by elitst GAF, but i'm not ashamed to distance myself from that nonsense.

That cover mechanic is great, and it's nice to see this game use it.

By the way, from what i've seen, the music is also awesome.

Problem is i have little time and there are many great games coming out these months..
But it seems this gameplay and atmosphere is something i really like.

Unknown Soldier said:
Okay. well i like that too :)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
_tetsuo_ said:
First trip to Hengsha side quest question. Spoilers I guess? Just seeign if I got them all.

Am I missing any? If so don't tell me where it is just let me know if there is more.

Quoting myself because i literally just walked into another one I think lol

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Unknown Soldier said:

Agreed. Though the cover system does nod in the general direction of Rainbow Six / Gears of War, and there's bits of Metal Gear Solid thrown in there as well.

But despite this, it still remains unmistakeably Deus Ex. I love this game.

iavi

_tetsuo_ said:

There's another one. You can't miss it.

E: seems like you found it.

Always-honest said:
All of them but i'm referring to the Vegas games ofcourse. They are frowned upon by elitst GAF, but i'm not ashamed to distance myself from that nonsense.

That cover mechanic is great, and it's nice to see this game use it.

By the way, from what i've seen, the music is also awesome.

Problem is i have little time and there are many great games coming out these months..
But it seems this gameplay and atmosphere is something i really like.

Okay. well i like that too :)
Well in that case it's worth noting that it's around 20h long (and possibly quite a bit longer than that) your first time through, it'll take the better part of a weekend to get through. Well worth it though, if you have the time to spare.

Danne-Danger said:
Well in that case it's worth noting that it's around 20h long (and possibly quite a bit longer than that) your first time through, it'll take the better part of a weekend to get through. Well worth it though, if you have the time to spare.
That's a pretty long game! Wow, in this day and age?

Zeliard

thelatestmodel said:
Agreed. Though the cover system does nod in the general direction of Rainbow Six / Gears of War, and there's bits of Metal Gear Solid thrown in there as well.

But despite this, it still remains unmistakeably Deus Ex. I love this game.

It's a Deus Ex/MGS hybrid with some modern gaming concessions thrown in there.

Haha wow, there's an achievement for "finding the secret message" near the later parts of the game.

I think it's a reference to the aliens you find in DX1.

Jintor

Zeitgeister said:
Actually, it is only mentoined as an option, it's not a sidequest.
It was pretty obvious what was going on at that point though.

Fuck, I knew that was going to bite me in the ass. I've played on since then though. Goddamnit.

54-46!

Enco said:
On the second boss. Man it's hard.

First was much easier. Doesn't help that I only have a heavy rifle that I got from the previous room. Ran out of ammo in my pistol an combat rifle.
It's easy once you realize what you have to do,
wait for her in the middle, when she runs at you, run toward and past her, she discharges, turn around and shoot - repeat.

Balphon

I wish I'd known from the beginning that capturing the diagnostic subroutine (the red thing) instantly completes a hack and gives you the contents of every datastore regardless of whether it's been captured. Makes things so much simpler in most cases.

Thanks for nothing, hacking tutorials.

Top Bottom