• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

coopolon

thetrin said:
Yes. You will get to go back. You have
the FEMA facility
, then a small jaunt back to Detroit, then you're off to the next hub. You have to tell the game you want to leave Detroit, so don't worry about getting swept away before you have the chance to do what you want.

Thanks!

Daeda

Bread said:
Did anyone else get completely lucky during the first mission in Detroit with
Zeke Sanders? I went into the room with the hostages and saw that the bomb was down to 3 seconds so I just shot the green part with the stun gun and laughed when it worked.

I did that at some point, pistol works too.

Bread said:
Did anyone else get completely lucky during the first mission in Detroit with
Zeke Sanders? I went into the room with the hostages and saw that the bomb was down to 3 seconds so I just shot the green part with the stun gun and laughed when it worked.

Holy shit what?

I can't believe that works.

Meus Renaissance said:
I just read that XP can be used in the Augmentation menu. :O

How? I thought only Praxis kits could be used

When you get a certain amount of XP, you get new praxis points. You don't directly spend it, it, and it happens automatically (you'll just see +1 praxis points on your HUD or similar).

mAcOdIn

Meus Renaissance said:

It's a weird wording, after you reach a certain amount of XP you are awarded a praxis point which can then be used in the augmentation menu.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Meus Renaissance said:

Every time you get enough EXP to level up, you get one praxis point.

mxgt

Banned
Ourobolus said:
Wait, I thought robots didn't count against your kills?

Well I didn't kill a single guard the entire playthrough but I did place mines under a robot when
saving Malik
and it blew up so I'm assuming that's what stopped me getting Pacifist.

mAcOdIn said:
It's a weird wording, after you reach a certain amount of XP you are awarded a praxis point which can then be used in the augmentation menu.

I knew that. I just thought you could actually spend the points on upgrades :(

Bread

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Holy shit what?

I can't believe that works.

When you get a certain amount of XP, you get new praxis points. You don't directly spend it, it, and it happens automatically (you'll just see +1 praxis points on your HUD or similar).
I couldn't believe it either, I just had no idea what I was supposed to do. What is another way of disarming it?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Meus Renaissance said:
Nope. Only praxis!

mxgt said:
Well I didn't kill a single guard the entire playthrough but I did place mines under a robot when
saving Malik
and it blew up so I'm assuming that's what stopped me getting Pacifist.
It shouldn't unless a guard was killed by that explosion. Maybe a guard fell into electric water, or there was that "tranq gun kills a dude" glitch.

started playing this game yesterday. put in about 10 hours so far. its absolutely amazing and SO addictive. as soon as i got up this morning (on holidays) i went straight to my xbox and started playing. i havent been this addicted to a game since mass effect 1/2 or RPGs since childhood.

really, really enjoying it, this game wasnt even on my radar till last week so what a surprise.

Zeliard

Meus Renaissance said:

Experience points are only there to give you Praxis points so that's basically exactly what you're doing.

So i have asked this question already but hopefully someone can see it now.

Fema facility
second last level there is a couple of janitors that ask you for a password to let you into a vent that is full of stuff, you give it to them and tell you to go clean it but i cant find it, where is it?

Is IW worth playing? I kind of feel like doing another runthrough of Human Revolution, then going to the original DX, and then IW. I never played the original. Plus, it'll keep me occupied until BF3 :)

Also, doing a second playthrough is awesome. You pick up so many more story details, and really see how things tie together. Also,
in my first playthrough, I accepted the chip replacement. In the first FMV, they mention how the new chips are "ready to go." Mind blown. I didn't remember that when I accepted the chip.

thetrin

SirButterstick said:
Is IW worth playing? I kind of feel like doing another runthrough of Human Revolution, then going to the original DX, and then IW. I never played the original. Plus, it'll keep me occupied until BF3 :)

Also, doing a second playthrough is awesome. You pick up so many more story details, and really see how things tie together. Also,
in my first playthrough, I accepted the chip replacement. In the first FMV, they mention how the new chips are "ready to go." Mind blown. I didn't remember that when I accepted the chip.
Play IW last. Play through the original DX, love it, enjoy it, and then play IW to see how fucking bad it is.

SirButterstick said:
People give it a lot of shit, and it is extremely watered down compared to the original, but I enjoyed it. Only played through it once though so my memory's pretty fuzzy. I just know I didn't come out of it with a seething hate for what it was and my biggest gripe with it mechanically was universal ammo.

I'd say it's worth a shot playing it. These kinds of FPSRPG type games are so few and far between.

Rickenslacker said:
People give it a lot of shit, and it is extremely watered down compared to the original, but I enjoyed it. Only played through it once though so my memory's pretty fuzzy. I just know I didn't come out of it with a seething hate for what it was and my biggest gripe with it mechanically was universal ammo.

I'd say it's worth a shot playing it. These kinds of FPSRPG type games are so few and far between.

I tried playing it, I really did and I probably will finish it someday but the fucked up resolutions make it near-impossible.

thetrin

Rickenslacker said:

Universal ammo and how augs were handled.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The smaller environments were also one of the most disappointing aspects of Invisible War, and a direct result of the Xbox being the lead platform.

Really, Invisible War is one of the earliest examples of a phenominal concept deliberately 'consolised' in all the wrong ways.

mAcOdIn

thetrin said:
Universal ammo and how augs were handled.
That and the levels and environments were WAY smaller, it was a lot more accommodating to the Xbox at the time which held back gameplay a lot more than the current consoles do this time around.
EatChildren said:
The smaller environments were also one of the most disappointing aspects of Invisible War, and a direct result of the Xbox being the lead platform.

Really, Invisible War is one of the earliest examples of a phenominal concept deliberately 'consolised' in all the wrong ways.
Beaten.

Wallach

EatChildren said:

This was the big dick-punch for me. The environments in IW suck ass. They weren't fun to explore at all.

Ok, this game is pretty good. There was a character who seemed somewhat relevant to the story, but I didn't like him so I killed him. Cool that it let me do that.

My biggest gripe so far is that the AI is pretty stupid, which kind of breaks the atmosphere to some degree. Like I can open a door, shoot some guy in a team with them all seeing me, and then close the door, and they'll search around without opening the door. occasionally theyll open the door, but if I just move a bit away from it they dont find me even if theres literally only one way I could have gone.

Tacitus_

Rickenslacker said:

That and the damn small levels. The augs are simplified as well but that didn't bother me too much (other than hacking being an aug that locked out two other augs, smh).

MNC

Man the game is so good but it crashes so often. Now I held Tab to get a tutorial, there was no video in it, and then the game crashed again because I couldn't get out of the video screen.

This game really makes Mass Effect 2 look bad (a game I thoroughly enjoyed). Every combat mission in ME2 was a narrow hallway, no options. Every hub felt small and load constrained. And worse, all the loyalty quests in that game were, "Hey Shepherd, I'm really tormented over this thing that's been haunting me for years. Can you help me?" "Sure. Wait, this only took 30 minutes? You're the most badass member of your species and you couldn't do this one thing without me? It took thirty freaking minutes on one planet. In one location. I only talked to one guy. None of this was hard or difficult or hidden! WTF!"

These sidequests feel beefier, more non-linear, etc. And while I'm not far enough into DX1 to compare to that, these levels offer so many different ways to move around and solve problems (for example, there are 4 ways into police station alone).

This game is a breath of fresh air.

Wallach

MNC said:
Man the game is so good but it crashes so often. Now I held Tab to get a tutorial, there was no video in it, and then the game crashed again because I couldn't get out of the video screen.

That happened to me once. It's the only time the game has crashed on me (and it was the very first one in the prologue to boot).

thetrin

Wallach said:
That happened to me once. It's the only time the game has crashed on me (and it was the very first one in the prologue to boot).
The ONLY time the game has crashed on me, is during the ending cinematic. What a fucking time to crash!

Epyon MX said:
This game really makes Mass Effect 2 look bad (a game I thoroughly enjoyed). Every combat mission in ME2 was a narrow hallway, no options. Every hub felt small and load constrained. And worse, all the loyalty quests in that game were, "Hey Shepherd, I'm really tormented over this thing that's been haunting me for years. Can you help me?" "Sure. Wait, this only took 30 minutes? You're the most badass member of your species and you couldn't do this one thing without me? It took thirty freaking minutes on one planet. In one location. I only talked to one guy. None of this was hard or difficult or hidden! WTF!"

These sidequests feel beefier, more non-linear, etc. And while I'm not far enough into DX1 to compare to that, these levels offer so many different ways to move around and solve problems (for example, there are 4 ways into police station alone).

I agree. It really does put ME2 to absolute shame.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Epyon MX said:

I agree that this game makes in ME2 bad but not in all aspects. The level design of this game is the best I've seen. I also really enjoy that each mainline quest is not a filler but something that always goes towards the end point. This game is more of a RPG than ME2 ever was.

mAcOdIn

MNC said:
Truthfully the game crashed on me a lot. Well not really, how to describe this, it crashed a lot on me in the same places. Always when loading a cutscene with a boss mission following and sometimes it would crash 15 times in a row and other times it'd let me redo it multiple times before crashing, it was weird because, well, the cutscene has got to be like the least demanding point of the game engine so for it to only crash there was funny. I assumed it was something on my system so never mentioned it. There was only a handful of spots, as I said, it was just before a boss mission that it'd do that.

Altough i had previously denied it, the game is really weird when it comes to its performance on PC.

My fraps graphs are all over the place, sometimes im at 70fps and then it goes all the way down to 25, 30 just by looking around in Detroit. I wonder if the game streams data or what is going on. Anyone find anything to help mitigate this? i have v-sync on and triple buffering disabled with every other setting in the game turned to high.

thetrin

kayos90 said:
I agree that this game makes in ME2 bad but not in all aspects. The level design of this game is the best I've seen. I also really enjoy that each mainline quest is not a filler but something that always goes towards the end point. This game is more of a RPG than ME2 ever was.
I was never really a fan of ME2 because of its lack of RPG elements, but DXHR really puts it to shame and casts light on its flaws.

stuminus3

zephervack said:
Altough i had previously denied it, the game is really weird when it comes to its performance on PC.

My fraps graphs are all over the place, sometimes im at 70fps and then it goes all the way down to 25, 30 just by looking around in Detroit. I wonder if the game streams data or what is going on. Anyone find anything to help mitigate this? i have v-sync on and triple buffering disabled with every other setting in the game turned to high.
There's your problem. Turn triple buffering on if you're using Vsync.

jorgeton

UGHH I hate how police get all aggro on you if you try and hack open a storage locker when they're around. I'm back in Detroit, running around and unlocking stuff with my higher hacking prowess, when I get gunned down for opening a locker on a street in front of cops. WTF. How do they know Jensen doesn't own the locker? It makes sense when you're in one of the office complexes, but out on a city hub, it's ridiculous.

thetrin

33-Hit-Combo said:
As many people have mentioned before, OMFGGGGGG 3RD BOSS.
3rd boss? I remember the 3rd boss being really easy if you want to be a cheap bastard about it.

Nothing is easier than the last boss, though.

Jintor

jorgeton said:
UGHH I hate how police get all aggro on you if you try and hack open a storage locker when they're around. I'm back in Detroit, running around and unlocking stuff with my higher hacking prowess, when I get gunned down for opening a locker on a street in front of cops. WTF. How do they know Jensen doesn't own the locker? It makes sense when you're in one of the office complexes, but out on a city hub, it's ridiculous.

Because you're hacking it

thetrin said:
3rd boss? I remember the 3rd boss being really easy if you want to be a cheap bastard about it.

Nothing is easier than the last boss, though.

Did it, with EMP nades and a revolver... Finally. What a cheap fuck he is.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
jorgeton said:

Why would he hack a locker he owns?

jorgeton

Jintor said:
Because you're hacking it

Fair enough, it just seems like overkill to have the full might of the Detroit PD fall on me for opening up a storage locker. Lesson learned.

Papercuts said:
Why would he hack a locker he owns?

Maybe he forgot his password? It happens!

XeroSauce

God damnit.

So I love the revolver in this game. I love it to bits, the sound, the laser, everything. It's my go-to weapon.

But I also carry a tranq rifle and a shotgun in case I need to be quiet/I get caught. I don't care about the Ghost or Fox achieves, but my problem is this:

I need a silenced weapon. I want to be able to take out guards without having to alert everyone, and not just tranq, but kill. The only weapon I've found that supports it is the pistol and I already have my close range support.

What other weapons would you recommend? Sniper rifle? Some other gun I'm not thinking about?

Top Bottom