• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Meus Renaissance said:
I just spoke to
Lee and to my shock Adam demanded 2.5m credits from him, but during the conversation, Adam decides to leave him without asking for the money.
Did I do something wrong?
Were you really expecting to get 2.5 million credits? You're just trying to force a confession out of him.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm going to be starting Hengsha when I get home from work tonight. I'm still in Detroit wrapping up some loose ends (mostly exploring and hacking stuff I may have missed).

It's a shame that games like this are such a rarity.

I had been talking to my wife how I was dying to play a cyberpunk RPG that was "open" world (basically, I wanted Fallout, minus the post apocalyptic setting. I wanted a gritty city).

I'm so sad that I'll have to eventually beat this game, knowing that there won't be another like it for a long time. If my 360 hadn't red ringed, I'd probably play Alpha Protocol, just to have some kind of open ended RPG that's not Fallout (for the record, I really loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas; I can't find my copies of the original 2 Fallouts, which makes me a sad panda).

Any tips on what are useful AUGs to have/get for Hengsha?

Solo: Yeah, I got that one pretty early on. I still have to get the leg aug that lets you jump high. I can hack up to level 5, I have the persuade aug. I don't have much from the right side of the aug tree (back/skin/legs/eyes). I've mostly been focused on the left side. I think I have one extra Praxis point, and I've been debating if I wanted to use it to upgrade to a larger weight capacity (I already upgraded it once), or if I want to hold it for an extra point so I can buy one of the 2 cost Augs I don't have.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, a friend of mine who loves the original game isn't enjoying this at all. Claims it's as linear as a Splinter Cell game and features none of the depth of exploration as the original.

I definitely can agree that it isn't a richly detailed as the original, but that just seems harsh.

Any other fans of the original agree?

Gila

Oh wow, screw this stealthy shit...apparently you still get the same xp with actually killing them in combat

dammit, I'm soo newb at this game

Salaadin

Does this evenutally branch out into Hub like areas similar to Deus Ex 1? I just finished DX1 last night and went right into this. Not even an hour in, I started off at HQ and then went right to a chopper that dropped me off to another area.

Please tell me that we get areas like Hong Kong in this where we are free to roam and explore.

BeeDog

dark10x said:
Wow, a friend of mine who loves the original game isn't enjoying this at all. Claims it's as linear as a Splinter Cell game and features none of the depth of exploration as the original.

I definitely can agree that it isn't a richly detailed as the original, but that just seems harsh.

I agree though I still love this game (so far). Deus Ex 1 is simply much, much larger in scope, though the actual gameplay mechanics are stronger in this one, obviously (e.g. gunplay, stealth).

Interfectum

dark10x said:

Has your friend played any other games this generation? We should be lucky we got a game this indepth. Calling it as linear as a Splinter Cell game is a bit much too.

Solo

dark10x said:

I don't agree at all with his complaints, no.

I do think that DX is on a whole other level from HR, but HR is a DAMN excellent game and a worthy prequel. Its just that DX is my favorite game ever and HR doesn't enter that stratosphere.

HR is more of a possible "game of the year" type than a possible "game of the ever" type like DX was.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Salaadin said:
Does this evenutally branch out into Hub like areas similar to Deus Ex 1? I just finished DX1 last night and went right into this. Not even an hour in, I started off at HQ and then went right to a chopper that dropped me off to another area.

Please tell me that we get areas like Hong Kong in this where we are free to roam and explore.

Yes. The opening part of the game is pretty linear, as it's setting up your character, but once you leave Sarif HQ, you are free to explore Detroit at your leisure.

As a huge fan of DX1, I can say this is a worthy successor, and it really feels like Deus Ex to me. It didn't at first, and I was a little worried, but I'm glad I stuck with it. I'm horribly addicted to it.

EDIT: Also, at Dark, I don't really agree with your friend. I do find this game smaller than DX1, but the depth, at least to me, is still there. How far is your friend in the game?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
dark10x said:

I'm sure there are some who feel the same way. Confidence Man might (though I think he still enjoyed it). There's no doubt that Human Revolution isn't as deep as Deus Ex. The environments are smaller, there's more tunnelling towards objectives, and the player by large has less 'options' available to them.

But that being said, as a huge fan of the original, its an incredibly faithful Deus Ex game, flaws and all, and takes a giant steaming turd over Invisible War.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Salaadin said:

Yes, yes it does.

To be fair, Deus Ex 1 also had a lot of empty space..

I like the fact that human revolution's world is more "lived in".. and of course the gameplay is better.

It would be nice to be able to travel freely between the hubs.. maybe that is what your friend means in terms of freedom to explore.. you don't have the freedom to change areas at will... but you are free to explore the area that you are in at the given time.

dark10x said:

I don't see HR hooking me as much as the original for a number of reasons, but it's still an amazing game and I'm happy with the end product. I wouldn't say it matches up to the original, but I also think his evaluation is overly negative.

Solo

Robobandit said:
I like the fact that human revolution's world is more "lived in.

Disagree to the max. DX1's Hong Kong and Battery Park had a layer of filth and neglect that HR can't even dream to match. Nothing in Hengsha comes close in that respect.

ToD_

Londa said:
I think I remember that you can find his password somewhere in his office.
I'm pretty sure you get the password if you visit his computer first. There will be a message saying they had to reset his password because of all that happened, and give you the new one.

MNC

LOL

What font do the Purists use when typing documents?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sans-Sarif.

i keep getting black screens :/

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
MNC said:
LOL

What font do the Purists use when typing documents?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sans-Sarif.

I hang my head in shame that I laughed out loud at this...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Wow, I can't really believe this but even though I've finished the game, I'm going back and reading stuff like the pc gamer interviews in the OP, never has a game piqued my interest so much that I retroactively watch trailers/read pre-release interviews.

Dresden

Figboy79 said:
Any tips on what are useful AUGs to have/get for Hengsha?

Solo: Yeah, I got that one pretty early on. I still have to get the leg aug that lets you jump high. I can hack up to level 5, I have the persuade aug. I don't have much from the right side of the aug tree (back/skin/legs/eyes). I've mostly been focused on the left side. I think I have one extra Praxis point, and I've been debating if I wanted to use it to upgrade to a larger weight capacity (I already upgraded it once), or if I want to hold it for an extra point so I can buy one of the 2 cost Augs I don't have.
The high jump aug is valuable, I'd grab that first. If you like stealth the reflex aug for double takedowns is handy, too - there's a lot of guards who just like chatting up in pairs.

XeroSauce

Deadbeat said:
Pistol is the best weapon in the game. Most enemies later on have dermal armor and body armor as well. The assault rifle/smg/pistol will only do 25% of their normal damage. The revolver will do 50%. With the armor piercing attachment the pistol does the full 100%. Fully upgraded the assault rifle does 11.6 damage, smg is 8.2, pistol is 16, and revolver is 39. If you apply armor resistance you then get 2.9, 2.05, 16 and 19.5. Pistol can be silenced and you can carry more ammo per inventory space.

Basically use the pistol.

Thanks a lot! Informative.

Is there anywhere else I can pick up a Armor Piercing Upgrade?
I believe I already sold the one you get in your apartment when I saw that my revolver doesn't take it.

Also, when I get explosive rounds for the Revolver, does that make up for the loss in damage due to armor?

Tacitus_

33-Hit-Combo said:

Hangar 18, Area 51. Area 51 was the final level of Deus Ex and it had all sorts of weird shit going in it, including genetic experiments that resulted in Grays.

Some say that they spliced actual alien DNA while others say that they're just heavily mutated monkeys...

Oh and Solo, to get option to choose from all 4 endings, you have to complete the 2 sidequests before taking the Boss Elevator down. The game will ask you if you want to go down since it's a point of no return.

damn that's nice

XeroSauce said:

I believe I already sold the one you get in your apartment when I saw that my revolver doesn't take it.

Also, when I get explosive rounds for the Revolver, does that make up for the loss in damage due to armor?
I picked it up in Detroit on the second visit at the weapon shop.

Deadbeat

Banned
XeroSauce said:

You can buy the armor piercing upgrade at some vendor iirc. The revolver doesnt get explosive rounds. You get a barrel attachment that makes the current rounds explode. You use the same ammo the gun is just upgraded. The explosive attachment doesnt change the armor piercing values.

XeroSauce

Gila said:
Oh wow, screw this stealthy shit...apparently you still get the same xp with actually killing them in combat

dammit, I'm soo newb at this game

From what I know, you make up for the lack of experience you get doing straight combat with the amount of things you find lying around and on bodies, places you can't access as easily with a stealth character.

But then again, you could always stun the guy.

XeroSauce

damn that's nice said:
I picked it up in Detroit on the second visit at the weapon shop.

Cool. I didn't expect to go back to Detroit so I sold everything I didn't need.

Deadbeat said:
You can buy the armor piercing upgrade at some vendor iirc. The revolver doesnt get explosive rounds. You get a barrel attachment that makes the current rounds explode. You use the same ammo the gun is just upgraded. The explosive attachment doesnt change the armor piercing values.

Yea, that's what I meant when I typed that. How well does that fare in comparison to armor-piercing bullets? In terms of damage etc.

Obviously it'll be really loud but when I have to pull out therevolver I'm usually going non-stealth anyways.

Tacitus_ said:
Hangar 18, Area 51. Area 51 was the final level of Deus Ex and it had all sorts of weird shit going in it, including genetic experiments that resulted in Grays.

Some say that they spliced actual alien DNA while others say that they're just heavily mutated monkeys...

Thanks, was wondering why I got a trophy for it.

FStop7

Banned
Alice Garden Pods

Escaping the raid on the pods was the most fun I've had playing a computer/video game in a long, long time. Possibly since the original Deus Ex.

Salaadin

Figboy79 said:
Yes. The opening part of the game is pretty linear, as it's setting up your character, but once you leave Sarif HQ, you are free to explore Detroit at your leisure.

As a huge fan of DX1, I can say this is a worthy successor, and it really feels like Deus Ex to me. It didn't at first, and I was a little worried, but I'm glad I stuck with it. I'm horribly addicted to it.

EDIT: Also, at Dark, I don't really agree with your friend. I do find this game smaller than DX1, but the depth, at least to me, is still there. How far is your friend in the game?
Dan said:
Yes, yes it does.

Awesome, thanks.

Can someone give me a rundown on what made Deus Ex 2 shitty? I skipped it completely after reading all the hate but kinda feel like, as a new fan to the series, I should at least give it a shot.

mAcOdIn

FStop7 said:
Alice Garden Pods

Escaping the raid on the pods was the most fun I've had playing a computer/video game in a long, long time. Possibly since the original Deus Ex.
I love some of these.

That scene was bad ass when all those dudes just drop into the courtyard, I just left the hacker without a gun, fuck him, love Jensen's cool "not my problem" attitude.
Salaadin said:
Awesome, thanks.

Can someone give me a rundown on what made Deus Ex 2 shitty? I skipped it completely after reading all the hate but kinda feel like, as a new fan to the series, I should at least give it a shot.
Smaller environments, smaller than HR and the original. Unified Ammo. Different way of augmentation(not that big of a deal). Story was even more "wonkier." The PC version, technically was garbage, for a series that was born and whom the majority of its fans were playing on the PC it was a mess, like everything was ripped from the Xbox, shitty resolution, no graphical tweaking like that available in the original, no FOV options for those with widescreen monitors, it was just technically junk, an Xbox game that probably should have stayed on the Xbox.

That said, even Deus Ex's writing wasn't top notch or anything and Deus Ex was still a better game than many at the time, it just didn't surpass nor meet the original's standards in a single area so is considered a failure. It's not the worst game you'll ever play but there's not really a reason to play it if that makes sense.

Solo said:
Disagree to the max. DX1's Hong Kong and Battery Park had a layer of filth and neglect that HR can't even dream to match. Nothing in Hengsha comes close in that respect.

I mean in terms of office clutter and environments looking like they are being used by actual people. I don't mean in terms of looking run down and worn out.

Derrick01

Banned
dark10x said:

I agree that HR doesn't do exploration as well as DX1, and it doesn't have any of those off-script moments that stick with me to this day like saving Paul (it's been 11 years it's not a spoiler anymore).

But no game has done that like DX1 did and I don't fault HR for not matching it. What they were able to do though is almost as good and could probably qualify for 2nd best in the "deus ex genre". It easily shits all over IW that's for sure.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Derrick01 said:
I agree that HR doesn't do exploration as well as DX1, and it doesn't have any of those off-script moments that stick with me to this day like saving Paul (it's been 11 years it's not a spoiler anymore).

But no game has done that like DX1 did and I don't fault HR for not matching it. What they were able to do though is almost as good and could probably qualify for 2nd best in the "deus ex genre". It easily shits all over IW that's for sure.
HR has an "off script scene" modeled exactly after the Paul scenario.

dark10x said:

Story and exploration are the two things that DX1 does much much better, but HR makes up for it by dramatically improving the moment-to-moment gameplay (which was ranged from mediocre to catastrophically terrible in the original).

Solo

Robobandit said:
I mean in terms of office clutter and environments looking like they are being used by actual people. I don't mean in terms of looking run down and worn out.

Sure, but after a while you see you repetitive/template-y that stuff is. Like, I think there are only like 2 different computer desks in the entire game, and in one of the office buildings, there was a cup of coffee spilled over on a desk. I thought that was cool and a neat touch...until I saw that half the desks shared that same pre-fab spilled coffee cup.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
dark10x said:

No, the levels feel much larger and the game world much more lived-in than the original ever did. Really don't understand the "depth of exploration" comment at all. There are so many ways to do things and get places in DEHR - I think there's at least three ways to get into the police station, e.g., and that goes for all locations in the game. Conversations and outcomes are equally multi-threaded. The only thing I don't like in comparison to DE are the bosses, but that's because I was ill-prepped for the first one and I don't like "arena" bosses in general.

Solo

Stallion Free said:
HR has an "off script scene" modeled exactly after the Paul scenario.

I think the one in HR is a lot easier to do though. Those MIBs that came to the apartment in DX can fuck you up. Also, the apartment is an enclosed space and no cover mechanic to save you.

I bet a LOT more people saved
Malik
than
Paul

Top Bottom