• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ok, what the fuck is going on with my eyes?

In the FMV cutscene, I had no problems... but now that I'm controlling the guy, my eyes are "tickling" (?). It's very uncomfortable, almost as if they're really disorientated...

What's happening...?

Yoshichan said:

In the FMV cutscene, I had no problems... but now that I'm controlling the guy, my eyes are "tickling" (?). It's very uncomfortable, almost as if they're really disorientated...

What's happening...?
Are you at the very beginning of the game?

jim-jam bongs said:
So did anyone else think Megan's friend
had your dog euthanised?

Such a massive downer.

I don't *think* so, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Maybe I missed something major in the story, but
why exactly is Megan such a bitch?

itxaka said:
Tips for the second boss? So fucking boring Im almost ready to drop the game.

Use the stun gun then switch to a damage dealing weapon, I used the combat rifle. I did that about 3 times and she goes down

Solo

itxaka said:
Tips for the second boss? So fucking boring Im almost ready to drop the game.

Stun gun or EMP grenades then headshots while the boss is stunned.

I must have made this exact post 10 times now, lolz

Gattsu25

Banned
Yoshichan said:

What's happening...?
If playing on PC go to the game options and raise the Field of View to 90 (what I use) or 100

edit: actually, this option may also be available on the console versions...not sure

I'm not sure why developers use such narrow FOVs. You assholes make me sick, literally. At least DE:HR gives you the option but games like Turok and Borderlands annoy me to no end.

Qwomo

Yoshichan said:

What's happening...?
The game murdered my eyes, too. Made it unplayable until I changed the FOV to somewhere between 90-100 and lowered my monitor's brightness by a ton.

Londa

Banned
damn that's nice said:
EKN4c.jpg

I'm confused.... why did you reply twice to the same comment?

edit: late, someone already asked lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
EmCeeGramr said:
Are you at the very beginning of the game?
Yes!
Qwomo said:
The game murdered my eyes, too. Made it unplayable until I changed the FOV to somewhere between 90-100 and lowered my monitor's brightness by a ton.
Gattsu25 said:
If playing on PC go to the game options and raise the Field of View to 90 (what I use) or 100
Shit, shit, shit! It's not working, wtf this is unplayable!!

Gattsu25

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Yes!

Is V Sync off?
EmCeeGramr said:
Please define "tickling your eyes." Is something actually wrong with the picture?
Sounds like it. This happens to me (coupled with a slowly building uneasy feeling in my gut) when I play games with narrow FOVs (such as every fucking UE3 game) or games with ridiculous amounts of screen tearing (only really had this in a few...maybe one or two...games, V Sync fixes this with me)

Yoshichan

EmCeeGramr said:
Please define "tickling your eyes." Is something actually wrong with the picture?
No no no, there's nothing wrong with the game or the graphics. I can feel underneath my eyeballs that they're tickling. When I move the camera, it's tickling
Gattsu25 said:
Is V Sync off?
I tried both on and off. With AA/AF, without AA/AF.

jim-jam bongs said:
First time I wanted to believe she just gave him away. But on my second run I had to accept that she killed my fucking best friend.

And the punch line was that
both Jensen and Megan were living.

Qwomo

Yoshichan said:
Yes!

Just keep changing settings.

I made mouse sensitivity really low, probably turned gamma up (not in-game), too. Bunch of other stuff.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yoshichan said:
No no no, there's nothing wrong with the game or the graphics. I can feel underneath my eyeballs that they're tickling. When I move the camera, it's tickling

Yoshi, put down that chronic.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yoshichan said:

Doesn't happen when you are walking directly ahead, only when you are turning?

Yoshichan

Qwomo said:
Just keep changing settings.

I made mouse sensitivity really low, probably turned gamma up (not in-game), too. Bunch of other stuff.
I lowered the mouse sensitivity to one notch above the lowest... did nothing. So did gamma.
Corky said:
Yoshi, put down that chronic.
What does this even mean?!

Qwomo

Yoshichan said:
I lowered the mouse sensitivity to one notch above the lowest... did nothing. So did gamma.

Take a break from the computer for a while and come back.

Worked for me, too.

Yoshichan

Gattsu25 said:
Doesn't happen when you are walking directly ahead, only when you are turning?
Wow, just tried it out. ONLY happens when I look left and right and when I try to focus my eyes to one object while walking towards it.

My God, this is some scary shit going on... I've been playing games for 20 years and this never happened to me.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yoshichan said:

He is saying that your marijuana smoking*, much like excessive masturbation, can impact your ability to see.

*I think he meant it as a joke.

Ourobolus

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
They explode when they're destroyed, and guards can get caught in the explosion.
Oh good. That's what I thought - I had been making sure not to blow up robots near unconscious bodies, so much so that when I was
saving Malik
I knocked out all of the humans and even had time to drag a couple of bodies away from the mech before I EMP'd it.

EDIT:
And before anybody questions my difficulty level, I'm playing on Give Me Deus Ex.
:p

Yoshichan

Wait a second! I think I might have found the problem... when you turn around, it's "smooth"? How do I disable that? I think that might be it!
Gattsu25 said:
He is saying that your marijuana smoking, much like excessive masturbation, can impact your ability to see.
I don't do any of those, I should be fine :(

Gattsu25

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Wow, just tried it out. ONLY happens when I look left and right and when I try to focus my eyes to one object while walking towards it.

My God, this is some scary shit going on... I've been playing games for 20 years and this never happened to me.
Yikes. The FOV problem I mention only started when I played the demo to the 360 version of Turok. Since then it cropped back up in Borderlands and now it is happening with more and more games with narrow FOVs. It really is scary.

What is your average framerate?

edit: not sure how to disable mouse smoothing. Should be in an INI file somewhere..

Lakitu

st5fu
tiff said:
Headshot everyone with 10mm, shoot barrels on upper levels to take care of snipers, throw frag mines on the mech and shoot them to blow them up and the mech with it.

Thanks. I'll try that too. I used
headshots on the big guys the first time, but she still died. The following times I was just trying to experiment and see what else I could do. All of them failed.

Yoshichan

Gattsu25 said:
What is your average framerate?
It feels like constant 60

edit: yeah tried it out in FRAPS... constant 60.
Corky said:
Riiiiight
You don't trust me ._.?

Scotch

Yoshichan said:
Wait a second! I think I might have found the problem... when you turn around, it's "smooth"? How do I disable that? I think that might be it!

I don't do any of those, I should be fine :(
Do you have triple buffering enabled?

Yoshichan

Gattsu25 said:
Should be in an INI file somewhere..
How do I find this? I downloaded it through Steam.

Woorloog

Banned
Some thoughts about the game:

My brother pre-ordered this game (360), he likes cyberpunk and liked the first Deus Ex quite a lot (and, AFAIK, never managed to finish DE:IW). Me, i wasn't really interested, didn't pay attention to any info etc and i haven't played the original Deus Ex. But i did try the game... and got hooked. Very good.

Sneaking around looking for alternative routes or trying to figure how to dispatch guards without killing them is a lot of fun (trying to do a pacifist first playthrough). This game feels like a puzzle game rather than RPG or action game... But then it is a mixture of genres. Boss fights (currently finished only one boss, i'm in Sanghai) are shit though, luckily i have a rocket launcher (which takes a lot of valuable inventory space).
Augmentations are a fun way to develop a character, each one gives something tangible (well, mostly anyway, augmentation upgrades just make them more powerful but there ain't many of these). Some do, however, feel redutant and/or marginal, like hacking analyzing addons.
I like the graphical style though lack of motion blur is a bit annoying. I like subtle motion blur like Reach and Crysis 2 have. Also, character models and NPC animations feel a bit dated/stiff/repetive. But those are minor things, the game's gameplay is excellent.

I've notice that lack of ammo is often criticised but if ammo were plentiful, people would stick to one weapon and a shooting. This way one needs to explore (good way to get more ammo), plan and try different weapons. If this were pure shooter, lack of ammo wouldn't be good, i always hated how Halo 2 and 3 didn't have much SMG (and generally human weapon) ammo despite it being basic stuff.

As for the story and themes... I haven't made my mind up about the story yet as i'm in the middle of the game but it feels good... a bit of mystery in it. Combined with gameplay, it works. Exploration/puzzles and mystery get along well. The themes are far more interesting for me than the story, as i'm an advocate of transhumanism and very interested in it. Though i'd rather have it done through genetic engineering than cybernetic prosthethics and modifications. Genetic engineering happens to be hereditary and any future generations get use of it. Hopefully for good.

I've seen only two glitches so far, some hooker was standing midair and i pulled a big trashbin through a wall but then i rarely/never observer any bugs or glitches even in games that are (supposedly) very buggy like Fallout New Vegas.

Will post some more impressions later, maybe.

pahamrick

thetrin said:
There are at least two silenced snipers in the game proper. The first is in
Tai Yong Medical

Has it been confirmed that it shows up for people who don't have the pre-order DLC? I went through the area again recently and still couldn't find it.

TheBear

Hey guys, just got around to finishing all the objectives for the Motherly Ties mission. When I talk to Cassandra, I have three speech options. When I've done all of them, the two of us just stand there awkwardly moving our heads and the speech option is blank and I can't progress. Is this is a bug?

Yoshichan

Anilusion said:
regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Eidos
Deus Ex

In there are basically your "ini files", except slightly more complicated.
Thanks, but now to find smooth mouse... what's the "term" for smooth mousing?

edit: shit, doesn't appear to exist ._.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
pahamrick said:
Has it been confirmed that it shows up for people who don't have the pre-order DLC? I went through the area again recently and still couldn't find it.
I have the DLC but this is where I found it.
If you hack the terminal in the room with the two scientists at the beginning (right after saving the guy in the gas room), then move and use the crane as a bridge, there's one in a room on the way. You pretty much can't miss it.
If it isn't there then I guess you can't get it without the DLC.

Chiggs

Gold Member
After about 10 hours of play, not really sure how I feel about this game. The gameplay is good, but it's somewhat dumbed down, and the story is meh. And it's not like Deux Ex had some amazing narrative; it was just more compelling. This is far better than Invisible War, but not as memorable as the first.

The boss battles are sort of crappy and are far too linear. There should have been ways to bypass them or knock them off in an "off the rails" sort of way.

So far, this is a B- or B+ at best. Honestly, I'm glad I got it for free with my video card.

cackhyena

So, twice while playing so far, I have had this weird thing happen. This was stretched over different session by the way. I would be walking down a hall and Adam's vision goes all digitally funky/haywire. First time it happened, I thought I walked into something that caused it. After it would settle down, I looked around and there wasn't any signs of some trap or anything. No enemies. Happened last night and I am confused as it was the same situation. Is it part of the story or something? Something that might progress?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Chiggs said:
After about 10 hours of play, not really sure how I feel about this game. The gameplay is good, but it's somewhat dumbed down, and the story is meh. And it's not like Deux Ex had some amazing narrative; it was just more compelling. This is far better than Invisible War, but not as memorable as the first.

The boss battles are sort of crappy and are far too linear. There should have been ways to bypass them or knock them off in an "off the rails" sort of way.

So far, this is a B- or B+ at best. Honestly, I'm glad I got it for free with my video card.
The story really picks up after Hengsha. I haven't played the first much at all, it has not aged well, but the story was a bit lackluster for me lately until the past couple segments. It's pretty damn interesting now.

cackhyena said:
So, twice while playing so far, I have had this weird thing happen. This was stretched over different session by the way. I would be walking down a hall and Adam's vision goes all digitally funky/haywire. First time it happened, I thought I walked into something that caused it. After it would settle down, I looked around and there wasn't any signs of some trap or anything. No enemies. Happened last night and I am confused as it was the same situation. Is it part of the story or something? Something that might progress?
It's story related.

abunai

cackhyena said:

plot device :)

Yoshichan

pahamrick

RoboPlato said:
I have the DLC but this is where I found it.
If you hack the terminal in the room with the two scientists at the beginning (right after saving the guy in the gas room), then move and use the crane as a bridge, there's one in a room on the way. You pretty much can't miss it.
If it isn't there then I guess you can't get it without the DLC.

Yeah, I never saw it or the double-barreled shotgun anywhere in the game.

Top Bottom