• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just solved it :D!

Pushed my monitor back around 7 inches. Turned on all lights in my room. Lowered the brightness on my screen. Changed FOV to 90 and turned triple buffering and V-Sync on!

Just played through some of the tutorial parts and I'm feeling perfectly fine :D!

Thanks GAF ♥

Chiggs

Gold Member
The English Conquistador said:
Genuine question, what about the game feels dumbed down?

The character skills themselves, in comparison to the first. I also feel that some of the environments in the first were actually a little more non-linear and challenging too. This seems like a fusion of MGS and Deus Ex, which isn't bad; it's just not as varied as I had hoped.

RoboPlato said:
The story really picks up after Hengsha. I haven't played the first much at all, it has not aged well, but the story was a bit lackluster for me lately until the past couple segments. It's pretty damn interesting now.

Perhaps I spoke too soon.

Chiggs said:
The character skills themselves, in comparison to the first. I also feel that some of the environments in the first were actually a little more non-linear and challenging too. This seems like a fusion of MGS and Deus Ex, which isn't bad; it's just not as varied as I had hoped.

IMO, the augmentation system being hugely expanded more than makes up for this.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
IMO, the augmentation system being hugely expanded more than makes up for this.

A buddy of mine said the same and thinks I'm wearing rose-tinted glasses.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Lack of swimming could be a result of dumbing down. Or perhaps engine design.

tiff

Banned
Lakitu said:
Thanks. I'll try that too. I used
headshots on the big guys the first time, but she still died. The following times I was just trying to experiment and see what else I could do. All of them failed.
Yeah, I failed one or two times too. You have to work quickly.

33-Hit-Combo said:
And the punch line was that
both Jensen and Megan were living.

It's a shame, that would have made a great side quest for when you go back to Detroit.

She runs into on the street and says "Adam! Your alive! Now take back your fucking dog." And Adam says "I'm trying to save my awful ex from the Illuminati, not sure why, but I'll see if I can find him a home".

Then you could take the dog around to the homes of people you have helped in previous side quests and convince one of them to take him. I think the janitor and his wife or the senile old lady would be great dog owners. Maybe even Haas, except if I gave him the dog I'd always feel like I had to let him go home from work early to walk him.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Snuggler said:
or the fact that nobody likes swimming in videogames

I put my first few points in DX1 into swimming. I figured all the levels would be like Liberty Island, I was such a fool...

Carbonox

I'm on the first boss now.

On the hardest difficulty, this dudebro is causing me problems. I go to cover, stun, shoot, bam bam I'm dead. Tried like 40 times. I do somewhat get the pattern of stunning and gunning but still. Any other easy ways people have figured out? Can't just be the only easy way to do it.

Pertaining to a sidequest in Hengshan
where is Malik in the Alice Garden Pods? Ive already completed the first mission and now i COULD go find Tong at The Hive but I want to knock out some sidequests first for XP. Where is she located?

Pancakes said:
I put my first few points in DX1 into swimming. I figured all the levels would be like Liberty Island, I was such a fool...

I really miss that in HR honestly. Like other people I had nearly every augmentation by the end, even useless ones. If you picked useless skills in Deus Ex you ended up having to find ways to use them later (Sub Base had some swimming opportunities for example, and there was at least one good one in Paris). To really get powerful abilities you had to commit to them.

In HR you can get cloaking by the end of your first mission, in Deus Ex it required a significant investment and was balanced accordingly. The biggest issue with augmentations in HR is that the base Jensen is so effective that it makes 2/3rds of them redundant. Why take the stealth augmentation when the basic toolkit for sneaking is so good?

aeolist

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
Pertaining to a sidequest in Hengshan
where is Malik in the Alice Garden Pods? Ive already completed the first mission and now i COULD go find Tong at The Hive but I want to knock out some sidequests first for XP. Where is she located?
You have to talk to Tong first, then she's there

YoungFa

Carbonox_Ratchet said:

On the hardest difficulty, this dudebro is causing me problems. I go to cover, stun, shoot, bam bam I'm dead. Tried like 40 times. I do somewhat get the pattern of stunning and gunning but still. Any other easy ways people have figured out? Can't just be the only easy way to do it.
Just throw everything at him thats in the room. There are some explosive barrels but also some kind of poisonous gas. 2 Stuns should be enough to throw everything at him and ultimately killing him.

Platinumed. I think the game has some notable flaws, but I hope the style of gameplay actually takes a hold in the industry this time, because this needs to be iterated on.

Pancakes

Carbonox_Ratchet said:

In my experience...

I just threw an EMP grenade at him, which caused him to be stunned. After that, I just chucked every grenade in my inventory and unloaded 1 clip of the combat rifle into him. He went down pretty fast *shrug.

aeolist

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
are all the sidequests triggered after speaking to Tong? thanks man.
I was able to do one for a hooker in the brothel across the street from the Hive but the other two opened up after Tong.

Derrick01

Banned
Amir0x said:
the fuck i broke out of the wall and instantly killed someone

that sucks for a pacifist. *reloads save*

Yup there's a part of a sidequest in Detroit that involves some people in one of those tiny apartments and it's hard as hell to get through that without any kills or alerts. The wall is the easiest way to normally do it but it kills the guy.

Pancakes

Maleficence said:
Anyone know where the 2nd weapons dealer is in Shanghai? I found the one in the brothel.

I recall him being somewhere in the sewers.

I can't remember exactly where though, sorry.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Maleficence said:
Anyone know where the 2nd weapons dealer is in Shanghai? I found the one in the brothel.
There's one in the supply closet in the first floor of the Alice Pod Gardens.

There's definitely more than 2 in Hengsha, though.

Woorloog

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Yup there's a part of a sidequest in Detroit that involves some people in one of those tiny apartments and it's hard as hell to get through that without any kills or alerts. The wall is the easiest way to normally do it but it kills the guy.
I moved some crates creatively and used stun gun and non-lethal takedowns. It did take like 5+ tries though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Derrick01 said:
That's actually pretty easy.
Throw a box near the front door. One guy will always come out to check it. Trag him. Drag his body back.

Rinse and repeat till the room is cleared.

Derrick01

Banned
Woorloog said:
I moved some crates creatively and used stun gun and non-lethal takedowns. It did take like 5+ tries though.

Basically how I did it too. I moved the fridge next to the door and closed the door, making one of them come out and check while I hid behind the fridge to knock him out, then I just stun gunned the other guy.

I had to get one of the guys on the couch to get up and come to me though, they were spaced enough to avoid a double takedown.

commissar

So (late game area spoilers)
when I was in Singapore there was a vent on an air conditioning unit which led to a gas filled underground room. With nothing in it except for a valve to turn the gas off. There were no breakable walls that I could see either. Unless brick walls count.
was this area just a pointless little spot?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
jim-jam bongs said:
Why take the stealth augmentation when the basic toolkit for sneaking is so good?

Because watching the animation as he comes out of cloak to take somebody down is enormously entertaining. :)

commissar said:
when I was in Singapore there was a vent on an air conditioning which led to a gas filled underground room. With nothing in it except for a valve to turn the gas off. There were no breakable walls that I could see either. Unless brick walls count.

No, beside the valve you can enter through the wall. Vent or weak wall, not sure.

ugh this game seriously needs patching for me on my laptop with nvidia 460m graphics quad core intel i7

runs "well except for 3d vision mode BUT constantly crashes eg

EVERY TIME I try and watch a tutorial it crashes and have to reboot computer to play the game again, does this either in game or from main menu tutorial screen

random crashes where game freezes eg with sound loop, infrequent but need reboot when it happens

horrible stuttering when playing non rendered cutscenes, like stuttering really badly constantly. this ALWAYS happens and sucks because the cutscenes and music are insanely good.

the latest patch didnt help these, though it did make the game load faster.

ugh I have a friend I recommended the game to near the end (without serious problems he has similar laptop but ATI) but I feel like I am missing out if I play any more before a patch (eg knowing that every single non realtime cutscene will horribly stutter)

very very frustrated. any suggestion of a patch coming?

Ourobolus

Banned
Amir0x said:
the fuck i broke out of the wall and instantly killed someone

that sucks for a pacifist. *reloads save*
Put a frag mine or a frag grenade near the wall and trigger it. I found it just knocks out the guy on the other side.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't even know you could go into the sewers until you [mid-game spoilers]
confront Sandoval
. I've explored around them a bit, but can't find anything interesting.

commissar said:
when I was in Singapore there was a vent on an air conditioning unit which led to a gas filled underground room. With nothing in it except for a valve to turn the gas off. There were no breakable walls that I could see either. Unless brick walls count.

In front of the valve there is a breakable wall. That passage is kind of a escape route to get out of the building.

luxarific said:
Because watching the animation as he comes out of cloak to take somebody down is enormously entertaining. :)
Cloak is awesome, I meant the Stealth Enhancer. It's like the analyse addon for your hacking rig, it's cool but redundant.

So who here
saved Malik?
I wasn't even sure it was possible to do so, but I persevered because I really did not want that bitch to
die
. I got major warm and fuzzies when I finally succeeded.

mAcOdIn

MrCookiepants said:
So who here
saved Malik?
I wasn't even sure it was possible to do so, but I persevered because I really did not want that bitch to
die
. I got major warm and fuzzies when I finally succeeded.
I did. I was kinda insulted it was telling me to leave, I was like fuck you, we're all going home damnit.

Top Bottom