• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

JohngPR

RedSwirl said:
Turning On triple buffeting with VSync off helps the framerate a little bit but not much.

I've found that changing the SSAO from High to Normal did wonders for my framerate. The trade off is totally worth it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't know whether or not it's better than the original. It's certainly less revolutionary, but lives up to its legacy. Beyond that there are just a few ways I'd compare them and HR comes out favorably- though I admit personal preference factors in quite a bit here.

-I'm enjoying the story considerably more than I did the original plot. Maybe it will go off the rails- certainly a possibility- but I just find the ethical quandaries and characters much more resonant than I did in DE1. Not that it was at all a bad game plot-wise, it was great- just less my style.
-I vastly prefer the available augmentations in this game. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, and while their were some very unique options available in DE1 that I miss, on the whole I just love what you can do in this game, and I've barely even spent any Praxis Points yet (7 total). Specifically I would call attention to the synergy between the jump augmentation and the Icarus Drop aug, which completely change the feel of the game to me. Even though the environments themselves might not be as "open" as in DE1, the freedom of movement afforded by this combo, as well as the way it encourages you to take risks exploring- truly awesome.
-Graphics... I know I should be able to simply leave this out of the equation when comparing the games, and I'm no graphics whore, but I just can't ignore it. Deus Ex simply does not hold up well. I admit I haven't tried texture packs and the like and perhaps they do make a huge difference- but comparing the games raw: Both have truly great art design, but are limited technologically. These limitations were simply much more apparent in 2000 than 2011, and looking back it just doesn't lend itself to being replayed anymore. I know some people won't find it as noticeable as I do, I guess, but I feel like looking at DE1 now I can see what they wanted things to look like but just couldn't pull it off, whereas HR is a fully-realized, gorgeous world, even if it's still not the most technically impressive game around. I feel like I couldn't see a time in the future, no matter how amazing graphics get, where I would be dissuaded from playing HR because of how its graphics held up. Maybe this is totally naive, but I feel like a notable threshold in computer graphics was crossed in the intervening decade.

Granted, I haven't beaten HR yet, so I suppose I can't really make a fair comparison at all yet. Oh well.

JohngPR

I like that this game does the same thing that Fallout 3 does where the side quests have little nuggets of story that are good enough to keep you interested in completing them. I'm 30 hours in right now (according to my Steam counter) and I think I still have a bit to go. I'm just about to leave
Picus.

Salaadin

When can I start selling stuff? Im early in the game yet (4 hours) and
The "Sell" option in the clinic is greyed out. I also just ran into the arms dealer in highland park and he only sells me stuff.

L00P

I'm on my second playthrough, but I don't remember
confronting Taggart and Sandoval
at all. I think I had to
sneak through the convention center and hack Sandoval's computer to get the scientists' location
in my first run. I think I did something different somehow, but I'm not sure how. Weird

Salaadin said:
The "Sell" option in the clinic is greyed out. I also just ran into the arms dealer in highland park and he only sells me stuff.

Before the clinic is an abandoned gas station. Inside there will be a guy who you can sell your items to. Get used to him. Many trips will be made. Especially with the default sized inventory.

Salaadin said:
There's two merchants you've missed that you can sell stuff to from the moment you enter the Detroit hub.

Sober

cackhyena said:
The game lets you upgrade too many as it is, bro.
I think they wrote themselves into a corner by making it that Jensen is forced to be augmented and everything is installed but not turned on, and must just Praxis software to turn it on. If they didn't have that, we could've had DX1 style where you hunt for/buy/receive new augs rather than simply upgrading them. Also, I felt some of the augs could've been cut up into more levels or they should've tried to make more of a talent tree out of it where you have to specialize or try to jack-of-all trades it. TW2 still probably did it best this year IMO.

Zeliard

Hawkian said:
-I vastly prefer the available augmentations in this game. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, and while their were some very unique options available in DE1 that I miss, on the whole I just love what you can do in this game, and I've barely even spent any Praxis Points yet (7 total). Specifically I would call attention to the synergy between the jump augmentation and the Icarus Drop aug, which completely change the feel of the game to me. Even though the environments themselves might not be as "open" as in DE1, the freedom of movement afforded by this combo, as well as the way it encourages you to take risks exploring- truly awesome.

I don't mind that they basically combined augs with skills. However, I do take some issue the player eventually getting so many Praxis points that you can essentially become master-of-all-trades. In vanilla Deus Ex you had to consistently pick between two available augs for each slot, and once you installed one, the other was locked out permanently.

DX1 did have some issues with aug balancing (regen + ballistic armor making the other two augs in those slots largely useless), but on the whole I really appreciated their system of choice and compromise. In HR it's relatively earlier on when deciding what to spend Praxis points on can be tricky, but you end up getting so many that it turns into a non-issue.

Edit: Sober you trying to read my mind, pal?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Zeliard said:
I don't mind that they basically combined augs with skills. However, I do take some issue the player eventually getting so many Praxis points that you can essentially become master-of-all-trades. In vanilla Deus Ex you had to consistently pick between two available augs for each slot, and once you installed one, the other was locked out permanently.

DX1 did have some issues with aug balancing (regen + ballistic armor making the other two augs in those slots largely useless), but on the whole I really appreciated their system of choice and compromise. In HR it's relatively earlier on when deciding what to spend Praxis points on can be tricky, but you end up getting so many that it turns into a non-issue.

Edit: Sober you trying to read my mind, pal?

I suppose that makes sense. I'm comparing my memory of fully decked out JC compared with the Alex after just a handful of missions, where I have had to make cutthroat choices to get what I wanted.

eek5

Zeliard said:
I don't mind that they basically combined augs with skills. However, I do take some issue the player eventually getting so many Praxis points that you can essentially become master-of-all-trades.
Yeah I agree with you here (although I don't really mind it). I wasn't planning on unlocking a lot of the augs and just focused on building out what I wanted but I finally reached the point where I'm getting praxis points and just unlocking stuff I never had intention of doing (i.e. I wasn't planning on getting the invis aug at all but now I have that tree fully learned).

Seems kind of silly since the level design is so good that there is a path for you even if you didn't learn the "right" augs.

thetechkid

So I just played for 7 or so straight hours since opening the game, and wow this is great. I got to to the police station and explored a bit but couldn't pick up much of the weapons laying around because I have like no room in my inventory, so thinking I should do that upgrade.

eek5

Londa said:
I'm at the
first boss battle someone please help me beat this dude. I keep dying in 15 seconds...
Use your environment. There are a ton of exploding barrels and stuff around; throw them at him or shoot them when hes close. Stun/EMP work great too and will give you time for headshots.

Vaporak

See You Next Wednesday said:
OUTSIDE of headshots on non-armored enemies, which really isn't that feasible during combat when you have to pop up & line up a shot on a strafing target.
I have to upload A LOT more damage on enemies to take one enemy down then they do to me.

Also aiming down the sights doesn't even seem to reduce recoil from just aiming with a laser sight, which seems just stupid.

WTF is with this bullet sponge nonsense. If you can't headshot with the pistol, then the revolver and peps are also 1 hit kills no matter where you hit on most enemies.

eek5

MrPing1000 said:
DF763327857850AFDA4A1349E5FF6F0D95BDF4C9

In the future all life's problems can be solved via intricately placed barrels.
LOL! I did the same with trashcans. I felt like a dummy after though because not only is there a ladder on the other side of that building but I had been in that window before.

thetechkid said:
So I just played for 7 or so straight hours since opening the game, and wow this is great. I got to to the police station and explored a bit but couldn't pick up much of the weapons laying around because I have like no room in my inventory, so thinking I should do that upgrade.
The inventory upgrades are a good idea, especially if you wanna experiment with the arsenal or just wanna carry different kinds of weaps to try out in various situations. I actually upgraded it to max and only just finished the first hub... guess I'm a pack rat lol.

thetechkid

Heavy said:
The inventory upgrades are a good idea, especially if you wanna experiment with the arsenal or just wanna carry different kinds of weaps to try out in various situations. I actually upgraded it to max and only just finished the first hub... guess I'm a pack rat lol.

Yeah, the enhancement pack alone takes up most of my inventory. Also does the game have any kind of New Game Plus or is it a fresh game each time?

The Stealth Fox

I still don't get the criticism that this game isn't as "open" as DX1. The levels certainly are. However, the main quest is definitely shorter, but I'd say the sidequests are definitely more robust in DX:HR.

I feel like each game lacks something the other has. Yes, at the end of the game you are pretty much a walking fortress with having 70-80% of your augs upgraded, but what's wrong with that? I still found myself making hard choices and having to think about my build for at least 75% of my play time.

My first playthrough was stealth and all the augs I didn't upgrade by the end were all the combat augs. I didn't have wall punch, icarus, dermal armor, or the smaller reticule. I didn't even have a fully upgraded inventory by the end.

My current playthrough is combat and all my choices have been geared towards offensive augs like hacking turrets, dermal armor, fully upgraded inventory, wall punch aug, icarus, etc.

One of the beautiful things about this game is how varied people's experiences can be. That's why some opinions say x about the augmentation system and some opinions say y, because the experience, in essence, is largely determined by you, the player.

And the same rings true for DX1, which is why I think this is just as good as DX1.

Ken

thetechkid said:
Yeah, the enhancement pack alone takes up most of my inventory. Also does the game have any kind of New Game Plus or is it a fresh game each time?

No New Game+ so it's a new game each time with nothing carrying over.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
heliosRAzi said:
I thought she married the janitor at the plant?

The janitor just knows the arms dealer.
And this is why I shouldn't play DXHR while drunk.

TacticalFox88 said:
So...is this better than original in everyone's opinion?
I think so, yes. It's simply more fun to play. Being more complex doesn't equate to more fun... a common fallacy in games these days (i.e. "consolization"). This is coming from someone who only just played the original for the first time this Summer so maybe my opinion would be different if I played it 10 years ago and judged it in context of what else was out during that time period.

The Stealth Fox

Heavy said:
I think so, yes. It's simply more fun to play. Being more complex doesn't equate to more fun... a common fallacy in games these days (i.e. "consolization"). This is coming from someone who only just played the original for the first time this Summer so maybe my opinion would be different if I played it 10 years ago and judged it in context of what else was out during that time period.
I played it this summer too for the first time and am pretty in line with how you feel.

Finally installing it, got the Augmented edition off of Amazon for $40. 2 MB/S downloads, heck yes. (You've got to realize, this is coming from someone who's last apartment would have a pretty typical 200KB/s downloads.)

Pretty excited to play. I replayed the first once a few months ago, and then about halfway through again awhile later.

How is the PS3 version? I bought it originally on the 360 and I'm just not a fan of the controller. If I had a PC that would run this I'd totally join the superior race.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Damn guys, this game sure is something.

Wallach

TacticalFox88 said:
So...is this better than original in everyone's opinion?

I'd say so, but a lot of people seem to disagree. There's only a couple other things from the original I'd like to see them do in the inevitable sequel (limb damage, more skills/augs, melee weapons) but other than that I've enjoyed the game more than the first so far.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
I completely botched the first mission you get when
returning to Sarif by spending too much time exploring instead of immediately reporting to Sarif which resulted in the hostages being killed
. Should I go back and restart or just continue?

WWGD?

edit:Sorry about the spoilers!

watershed

Banned
Guts Of Thor said:
I completely botched the first mission you get when returning to Sarif by spending too much time exploring instead of immediately reporting to Sarif which resulted in the hostages being killed. Should I go back and restart or just continue?

WWGD?
I did a similar thing, I beat the mission without rescuing the hostages but I reloaded and rescued them because I wanted to be a good guy :) it really just depends on whether or not you care about rescuing them/if you want the exp points.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Stealth Fox said:
I still don't get the criticism that this game isn't as "open" as DX1. The levels certainly are. However, the main quest is definitely shorter, but I'd say the sidequests are definitely more robust in DX:HR.

Hubs aside, there's nothing in Human Revolution quite like Vandenberg. Human Revolution has plenty of flexibility in play, but even at its most open the levels still funnel you towards specific rooms and objectives. Compartively, Vandenberg just dumps you on the roof of a giant complex, and gives you the complete freedom to tackle your objective from any direction. The police station infiltration is probably the closest representation of this classic Deus Ex level design.

Deus Ex was guilty of doing the same style of gameplay though. It wasn't 100% open 100% of the time.

maomaoIYP

How to beat the
3rd boss with augs disabled
with only the stun gun.
Works great since I play pacifist and I don't have a single gun.
- Stay in the center area that has a transparent wall.
- Shoot him once and run to the other side of the transparent wall.
- Since the wall is transparent you can see exactly where he is jumping over it.
- Shoot him again when he lands, and then run to the other side of the wall again.
- Repeat! Will take roughly 20+ shots though, but it's easy to do it without taking any damage. Will be faster if mines/grenades/C4 are used as well.

TTG

Finally have some time to put into this game, quick question on the weapons upgrades... They're piling up in my inventory, except I'm not sure on which weapon to upgrade, any advice? I've got a shotgun, combat rifle, some sort of non lethal police pulse thing, the tranq long range gun and the machine pistol to go along with the regular 10mm. Which of these will prove to be most usable/upgrade worthy? Granted, reload speed on the wrong gun won't ruin my experience playing, but I'm always fretting over this BS.

Ken

TTG said:
Finally have some time to put into this game, quick question on the weapons upgrades... They're piling up in my inventory, except I'm not sure on which weapon to upgrade, any advice? I've got a shotgun, combat rifle, some sort of non lethal police pulse thing, the tranq long range gun and the machine pistol to go along with the regular 10mm. Which of these will prove to be most usable/upgrade worthy? Granted, reload speed on the wrong gun won't ruin my experience playing, but I'm always fretting over this BS.
10mm Pistol.

Top Bottom