• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Solo said:
a4c1af7e1e9c65938ad4558ac21dd4a63e427eb5.gif
You can't get any more triple A than Inception, bro!

Finally finished this game last night. I must have clocked in over 35+ if not 40 hours.

I was disappointed with the game & at the same time very glad I bought it.
It definitely does things right & things no other game is doing & yet the game as a whole was very flawed. I'd give it a 8/10 & feel generous giving that.

Pros:
+Great art designs, especially the interior locations.
+The same great non-linear & multi options to traverse levels from previous Deus Ex games.
+Great story & atmosphere throughout.
+Some absolutely kickass 'thinking outside the box' game design (the way the 3rd boss fight is affect by you know what or if you don't actually get to your boss when he tells you to at the start).
+Hub worlds with lots of secrets & side-quests.
+Best dialog mini-game ever (if you get the biomod for it).

Cons:
-The combat & gun mechanics were very sub-par & discouraged in favor of a stealth route.
-The A.I. is flat out terrible.
-The stealth felt contrived, outdated & forced. It basically played out like an inferior clone of the original 1998 Metal Gear Solid game.
-The design of the game really hasn't been improved from the original 10 year old game. I mean vents & stacking boxes to get through isn't cutting edge design.
Even the hub levels don't feel like actual cities as much as a cubic labyrinths similar to the original games that were designed with technology in mind that were over a decade old.
-The hacking mini-game wears out its welcome & becomes tedious & mundane (I must have hacked 150 terminals & doors in my 40 hour play through).
-The Hud is very clutter & no way to get rid of it.
-The highlighting is very essential to playing the game, but ugly as sin.

mAcOdIn said:
Err, really? It's a response to a hypothetical game intro, don't see how I can spoil something that doesn't exist.

Did you not just say that
Malik dies
and then talk about a hypothetical sequel. Apologies if this is wrong. If it does happen though I'm coming back for you.

cackhyena

See You Next Wednesday said:
Finally finished this game last night. I must have clocked in over 35+ if not 40 hours.

It definitely does things right & things no other game is doing & yet the game as a whole was very flawed. I'd give it a 8/10 & feel generous giving that.

Pros:
+The same great non-linear & multi options to traverse levels from previous Deus Ex games.
+Some absolutely kickass 'thinking outside the box' game design (the way the 3rd boss fight is affect by you know what or if you don't actually get to your boss when he tells you to at the start).

Cons:
-The combat & gun mechanics were very sub-par & discouraged in favor of a stealth route.
-The stealth felt contrived, outdated & forced. It basically played out like an inferior clone of the original 1998 Metal Gear Solid game.
-The design of the game really hasn't been improved from the original 10 year old game. I mean vents & stacking boxes to get through isn't cutting edge design.
Even the hub levels don't feel like actual cities as much as a cubic labyrinths similar to the original games that were designed with technology in mind that were over a decade old.
-The hacking mini-game wears out it's welcome & becomes tedious & mundane (I must have hacked 150 terminals & doors in my 40 hour play through).
Agree with every point. Great game, but could stand to use improvements. Can't wait for another one. Right now, I'm happy to go back in time for a ne Thief.

mAcOdIn

Bungieware said:
Did you not just say that
Malik dies
and then talk about a hypothetical sequel. Apologies if this is wrong. If it does happen though I'm coming back for you.
No, he said Malik and Jensen are shot in the head by Paul and JC Denton as the setup for Deus Ex: HR 2. To which I replied anyone who kills Malik will die, so if I controlled Paul or JC I guess I'd make him walk off the roof and die or something thus ending this hypothetical game immediately.

Solo

I've never gotten into Thief. I've tried but none of them have grabbed me. So them doing Thief 4 doesn't make me think "oh sweet, they're doing Thief 4!", it makes me think "oh shit, its going to take even longer for HR2 to come".

TL;DR fuck Thief 4, man

Salaadin

So if I stealth knock out a dude and he falls into electrified water, does it count as a kill? Because I didnt mean to!! It just happened!!

cackhyena

Solo said:
I've never gotten into Thief. I've tried but none of them have grabbed me. So them doing Thief 4 doesn't make me think "oh sweet, they're doing Thief 4!", it makes me think "oh shit, its going to take even longer for HR2 to come".

TL;DR fuck Thief 4, man
Shit man, that's just too bad. Great series. Another set of games with pretty great atmosphere.

Zeliard

Thief is awesome. If Eidos can make a solid follow-up then we're in for a treat.

Red Blaster said:
I have no idea what people are talking about when they say gunplay is weak in this game. HR's revolver is so fun to use.

Headshotting fools with a silenced 10mm is also quite responsive and fun.

mAcOdIn said:
No, he said Malik and Jensen are shot in the head by Paul and JC Denton as the setup for Deus Ex: HR 2. To which I replied anyone who kills Malik will die, so if I controlled Paul or JC I guess I'd make him walk off the roof and die or something thus ending this hypothetical game immediately.

Oh ok. I apologise then. It sounded to me like you said Malik dies in HR because you went on to say sequel after that. Sorry.

Solo said:

TL;DR fuck Thief 4, man

Thief 4 is just the codename for the Paul Denton game they're making.

cackhyena

EmCeeGramr said:
Read Wednesday's posts. He's very bad at the game.
The gun play isn't that great, though. Same for the stealth. they are good enough, but they don't really excel. Has nothing to do with being "good". The mechanics are passable. I love the game, but it's not with out it's flaws.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Pros:

Cons:
-The hacking mini-game wears out it's welcome & becomes tedious & mundane (I must have hacked 150 terminals & doors in my 40 hour play through).

I agree completely. But you have to say, for a team making a DX game for the first time, straining under the pressure of having to live up to the legend set forth by the first game, they did swimmingly. It's rare for a COMPLETELY new team to take an existing IP, and hit it out of the park on the first try. It's really not often that you see people love a game you love for the same reasons you love it.

I can't wait to see what they do if they intend to make another DX game.

cackhyena said:
The gun play isn't that great, though. Same for the stealth. they are good enough, but they don't really excel. Has nothing to do with being "good". The mechanics are passable. I love the game, but it's not with out it's flaws.
Gunplay is fine, stealth is among the best of this generation.

Solo

I actually can't think of a better stealth game. Splinter Cell and SC: Chaos Theory are the only two coming to mind.

Its a genre that really has a lot of room to improve and grow.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anyone who says the stealth sucks, I would love to hear what you consider to be fantastic stealth gameplay.

Qwomo

Played the over the first half of the game with it off & missed a crap load of stuff & I was very thorough.
That's a personal problem, not a fault of the game's.

thetrin

Clevinger said:
And it's in a hybrid game no less, not a full fledged stealth game.
My one and only complaint with the gunplay is how slowly grenades come out, and the fact that there isn't an aug that tells you where a grenade is going to land after bouncing.

Outside of that? The gameplay is stellar. Not without its flaws, but an incredibly awesome first attempt at DX.

cackhyena

The stealth doesn't suck. The Splinter Cell games easily beat it out, though. But that's expected. I never did expect anything great from a game trying to do this much.

Solo

Man, the laser gun is a fucking weird weapon. Here I am, shooting a frikkin' laser beam into a guy's midsection, yet I have to sustain the beam for like 5 seconds before he dies.

thetrin

Solo said:
Man, the laser gun is a fucking weird weapon. Here I am, shooting a frikkin' laser beam into a guy's midsection, yet I have to sustain the beam for like 5 seconds before he dies.

It is the weapon of choice for
the last boss

I would just not use it, and save it.

Zeliard said:
Thief is awesome. If Eidos can make a solid follow-up then we're in for a treat.

Headshotting fools with a silenced 10mm is also quite responsive and fun.

Unless they have a helmet (which over half of them have after the half way point of the game), in that case no headshot will kill them. I even tried with the armor piercing mod on the silenced 10mm, it just makes them grunt & alerts everyone because of that.

thetrin

cackhyena said:
The stealth doesn't suck. The Splinter Cell games easily beat it out, though. But that's expected. I never did expect anything great from a game trying to do this much.
To be honest, I was always a Metal Gear guy, rather than a Splinter Cell guy. I can see why one would love the stealth in Splinter Cell, but it (outside of Conviction, which I quite enjoyed) always felt sort of...vague. Maybe that means I like archaic stealth gameplay, but I like knowing for sure that based on certain variables, I currently cannot be seen.

Unless they have a helmet (which over half of them have after the half way point of the game), in that case no headshot will kill them. I even tried with the armor piercing mod on the silenced 10mm, it just makes them grunt & alerts everyone because of that.
This is not true. Damage upgrade + armor piercing oneshots anyone in the game (outside of bosses).

Seriously. I can record some gameplay for you if you'd like. :p

Solo

thetrin said:
My one and only complaint with the gunplay is how slowly grenades come out, and the fact that there isn't an aug that tells you where a grenade is going to land after bouncing.

Outside of that? The gameplay is stellar. Not without its flaws, but an incredibly awesome first attempt at DX.

There's a problem with mines too, which I learned the hard way - you can't "blind fire" them like guns. If you lean out from cover you can throw them, no problem. But from the blind fire position? Instead of throwing them, Jensen ends up attaching them to the edge of whatever you're taking cover against, and you go kablooey.

thetrin

Solo said:
There's a problem with mines too, which I learned the hard way - you can't "blind fire" them like guns. If you lean out from cover you can throw them, no problem. But from the blind fire position? Instead of throwing them, Jensen ends up attaching them to the edge of whatever you're taking cover against, and you go kablooey.
Hahahah, that is brilliant. Sounds like Eidos was trolling.

The fully upgraded 10mm kills nearly every human (non-boss) enemy in the game in 1 headshot, if not every one of them. That includes armor and helmets.

thetrin

TacticalFox88 said:
So...is this better than original in everyone's opinion?
No. It's not. Is it amazing? Yes. Is it better than the best western developed game ever forged by human hands?

No. It's not. But that doesn't make it bad. In fact, it's fucking amazing.

EmCeeGramr said:
The fully upgraded 10mm kills nearly every human (non-boss) enemy in the game in 1 headshot, if not every one of them. That includes armor and helmets.
Yep. If you take upgrades into consideration, the 10mm comes out on top as the best weapon to use in almost every situation.

Top Bottom