• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

DennisK4 said:
OK

Any PC gamers prefering the 360 controller? Does it make the game harder?

I usually stick to KB/M, the last game I tried both options on was Left 4 Dead 2 and always preferred the mouse. This time I am loving the wired 360 controller though. Aiming left and right in this engine just felt a little off to me, I am actually doing way better in combat with the 360 controller for the first time in a game. They seem to have taken advantage of all the iteration that occurred with fps controls on the gamepad over the last few years, a weapon wheel for quick switching, context sensitive buttons, sometimes tapping one button does one thing but holding does another, it just feels more refined to me than the KB/M which has stayed pretty much the same since the first game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
Third boss was, like the first two, a joke. This time I didn't use my trust stun + headshot method though. I just laser rifled that sorry son of a bitch to death.

Just reached Panchaea. Am I pretty much done?

Yeah, maybe an hour or two left.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Solo said:
Third boss was, like the first two, a joke. This time I didn't use my trust stun + headshot method though. I just laser rifled that sorry son of a bitch to death.

Pretty much.

Solo said:

Yup!

Danne-Danger said:
Ease up there bud.

You have The Eraser album cover as your avatar, so you can't be all bad. :)

On topic; really enjoying my second playthrough. Got way more ammo, weapons and just overall options than my last playthrough, which was around 85-90 percent stealth. Had a little trouble with the boss' in the first time, except with the third boss, where I just shot him 4 times with a grenade launcher and finished him. But this time around, I've killed the first couple boss' within a minute, which is nice.

My love for this game has flourished, even more than before.

EmCeeGramr said:
Even cheaper than
bringing a turret into the third boss fight, or exploiting a glitch to take him out with a single takedown?
The glitch is cheap, but I'd characterise the turret move as working smarter rather than harder ;)

On the subject of the vents, I want a game like this with a notoriety system like Blood Money. If you were sloppy and left vents open all over the place, later in the game you would run into more vents with security lasers inside them. And if you mainly went for frontal assaults the guards would have reinforcements and be more alert.

Riposte

mark spoilers brah.

Anyway encountered a funny glitch while stealthing around. An enemy teleported directly in front of me, floating in the air, and caught me. Think it might have been because I was running back and forth, taking out NPCs slowly.

Ok Im definitley having issues with the Hengsha quest involving
Mei and faking Chans death. I knock him out via my stun gun, plant the drugs and then drag his body to the edge of the roof right across from his front door. I drop the body off the edge and all I get is a pop up with a red X telling me to speak to Mei (which obviously now I cant) and the trophy for "The Fall" doesnt pop. The sidequest then disappears as if I fucked up. What am I doing wrong?

JumpingTheGun said:
Mei and faking Chans death. I knock him out via my stun gun, plant the drugs and then drag his body to the edge of the roof right across from his front door. I drop the body off the edge and all I get is a pop up with a red X telling me to speak to Mei (which obviously now I cant) and the trophy for "The Fall" doesnt pop. The sidequest then disappears as if I fucked up. What am I doing wrong?

Any witnesses? I straight up punched him and no stun gun.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jim-jam bongs said:
On the subject of the vents, I want a game like this with a notoriety system like Blood Money. If you were sloppy and left vents open all over the place, later in the game you would run into more vents with security lasers inside them. And if you mainly went for frontal assaults the guards would have reinforcements and be more alert.

Even though I know it doesn't matter, I always close vent doors behind me just in case.

JumpingTheGun said:
You need to use a takedown on him so you don't leave any marks.

Grisby

JumpingTheGun said:

Er....I think you were supposed to do one or the other, either just
drop him off or plant the drugs. I planted the drugs and left him completeing the quest. You might be boned.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay seriously, I think I'm just playing this game better than ALL of you.

I was unsure of what to use my augs on before I started playing, but now I'm putting pretty much everything on hacking and stealth. It's so satisfying to break into lvl 5 stuff and grab ALL DAT LOOT and aug rewards.

Damn this game is perfect sometimes

edit: btw where do I buy hacking-gear? Like undetectable-stuff.

Yoshichan said:

I was unsure of what to use my augs on before I started playing, but now I'm putting pretty much everything on hacking and stealth. It's so satisfying to break into lvl 5 stuff and grab ALL DAT LOOT and aug rewards.

1. Gun Merchant
2. By hacking

Snuggler said:
Even though I know it doesn't matter, I always close vent doors behind me just in case.
Me too. It matters to me, that's the important part. Though I also found myself turning an unconscious body around inside the vent in which I'd stowed it because I felt certain that, when the guy eventually woke up, he'd freak out if he couldn't see where the way out was and have a fatal panic attack.

hiverbon

Neo Member
What those guys said; if you want to kill him
you drop him off the edge, if you want the non-lethal approach, just leave him unconscious with drugs

Riposte

Selling in this game is pretty dumb. It encourages a lot of backtracking for what I assume is a broken amount of credits. When you have x gun in your inventory you can sell it for several hundred, but any additional copies of that gun will just get you ammo which sells for pennies.

With the number of praxis points being restricted I don't see this breaking the game though. Maybe once I can buy stronger guns?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
shagg_187 said:
1. Gun Merchant
This guy only sells that item that automatically disables locks :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oops...
Pmt3K.png

Left it running after gaming til 5AM... I haven't even left Detroit. :lol

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
gamerecks said:
Question about the ending

I thought there were 4 endings but only 2 are open to me, self destruct and sending Darrows message. DId I miss something?

Did you save Sarif and Taggert?

JumpingTheGun said:

Takedown only!

Riposte said:
Selling in this game is pretty dumb. It encourages a lot of backtracking for what I assume is a broken amount of credits. When you have x gun in your inventory you can sell it for several hundred, but any additional copies of that gun will just get you ammo which sells for pennies.

With the number of praxis points being restricted I don't see this breaking the game though. Maybe once I can buy stronger guns?
The guns don't really get stronger, they're just useful for different situations in my opinion. The best option is to focus on fully upgrading a single weapon, so save your credits for mods and praxis.

Yoshichan said:

I'm on my second playthrough & breezing past everything. It took probably 25 minutes for me to get from the room with Megan at the start to steeping foot in the hub world in Detroit.

Just as long as you know the correct routes, it is easy as hell to speed run through this without even trying. Just need the strength aug to move heavy crates that lead to vents & the high jump to get through fences.

eek5

JumpingTheGun said:
You can only do one, not both.

Finally gave up on expecting my pre-order ever coming through the mail and decided to buy the game today. It's been amazing so far, I've decided to try and go through it like I did the first game with an upgraded pistol. Would have probably gone for the pacifist achievement if I knew about it before killing everyone in the prologue given how op the tranq gun is.

With that said I've spent my first few hours doing nothing but hacking peoples apartments and steal their shit. Adam's such a dick.

iavi

I just sacrificed my pacifist play-through to (Hengsha second trip spoilers)
Save Malik
Do I get a different ending for that?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is it just me or was this game pretty short and limited? The choices seemed more like Mass Effect than Deus Ex save for a few nice ones... It felt like they were on a shoestring budget in some ways too, namely the city parts which seemed like a more polished Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines than actual cities, especially evident when there were supposed to be riots (or other such events) going and all you saw changed were a few extra robots and patrols here and there for the most part... The various barriers at the level edges were often silly too, while most of the environments were pretty restricted and some of them samey looking... There were other oddities like the completely pointless FMV parts that didn't do anything they couldn't show with in-game scenes (and often the game switched back and forth which was jarring) and the annoying bosses or invincible NPCs. Still, it was a fun, if easy, game overall, except for the few final bits and some other sections. I'll probably replay it once to choose different things (story wise, the game warns you to choose your skills wisely but by the end I had upgraded most of the stuff that matters fully or close to that) but yeah, I personally hoped for more after all the praise. At least I didn't hate it like IW (which I really feared would happen as initially that was praised by most of the early reviews and such also) so, yay.

Alextended said:
Is it just me or was this game pretty short and limited? The choices seemed more like Mass Effect than Deus Ex save for a few nice ones... It felt like they were on a shoestring budget in some ways too, namely the city parts which seemed like a more polished Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines than actual cities, especially evident when there were supposed to be riots going and all you saw changed were a few extra robots and patrols here and there for the most part... Most of the environments were pretty restricted too... Still, it was fun overall, except for the few final bits and some other sections and I'll probably replay it once to choose different things (story wise, the game warns you to choose your skills wisely but by the end I had upgraded most of the stuff that matters fully) but yeah, I expected more. At least I didn't hate it like IW.

I fully agree. While it took me 40+ hours to complete it, it's purely because I took my sweet time and went through levels with a comb. The story appears to have been cut short and spliced together, somewhat evident in the late 2010 cinematic trailer (almost like an alternate reality).

A lot of the areas are also actually really small, with a shit ton of copy/paste jobs on shops, desks, whatever.

Nevertheless I really enjoyed it, but it seems like they weren't particularly varied in creativity and still managed to score a success with me. I applaud them.

Is there a way to tweak SSAO to make it look more like the console versions? Its more defined on those sytems. At times it looks like its barely being used on the PC.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
gamerecks said:
Wait what? I never got that option or was told to me I could.

It's not pointed out as a main objective but they both sent out distress signals.

Miri said:
I just sacrificed my pacifist play-through to (Hengsha second trip spoilers)
Save Malik
Do I get a different ending for that?

Nope.

Most of the "choices" are illusionary. I also felt the whole "dungeon in the shape of a city/building" throughout the entire game. The rails are not hidden very cleverly either. The game feels somewhat unfinished, it has the pretense of being sandboxy but in reality it is not. And it gets very convoluted and thin in the last 25%.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Oh well, fingers crossed for a sequel that keeps what it did right (most of the action) and fully develops (rather than ditch it altogether which is possible, lol) the areas it lacks in.

The engine seems capable enough of doing more, a couple scenes are pretty impressive but never done much with, and the final bits show it can handle lots of NPCs together.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
HeadlessRoland said:
Most of the "choices" are illusionary. I also felt the whole "dungeon in the shape of a city/building" throughout the entire game. The rails are not hidden very cleverly either. The game feels somewhat unfinished, it has the pretense of being sandboxy but in reality it is not. And it gets very convoluted and thin in the last 25%.

I don't think anyone ever implied that Deus Ex is sandbox-like other than that you can freely choose from a variety of options to approach most situations.

So I just finished your
first mission after being Augmented and didn't save any of the hostages.
Did I have the ability at some point during that mission to save them?

aristotle

Is the rocket launcher worth keeping for the boss fights? I only used it on the first one so far. I'm still in the hub after that. I'm just wondering if I should ditch it or not.

aristotle said:
Is the rocket launcher worth keeping for the boss fights? I only used it on the first one so far. I'm still in the hub after that. I'm just wondering if I should ditch it or not.

it's too damn big. revolver + explosive upgrade or typhoon are better.

Danne-Danger said:
Cloak on middle mouse, super vision on F and cover on Mouse 4.

That's how you do it, if not you're playing it wrong (people with controllers get bonus "wrong"-points to add to their total score).

I have a logitech g700 so four buttons on the side and generally a crazy array of commands on my mouse hand.

I kept right mouse as hold cover. I kinda liked it in Splinter Cell and R6 Vegas, but it feels better here because it's more of a stealth game. In my head it's like "if you let go, they will find you"...although you're still ducking behind cover and that works fine.

If they make a sequel, I really want the ability to take enemies hostage. That's the one stealth game staple I feel like I'm missing here, other than hanging off ledges.

Top Bottom