• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Damn it why do I have to go to bed?

LATE LATE GAME SPOILERS:
Just beat the third boss and found Megan. She revealed the plot twist about Jenson that was so blatantly obvious, and then Darrow pulled the crazy shit he just did.
So right after that scene ends I look at the clock and realize I need to go to bed so I can wake up in 6 hours.

:(

IoCaster

Just finished the game and it's quickly jumped to the number one spot on my GOTY list. Skyrim is really going to have to bring something special to push past TW2 and this game. Good times.

IoCaster

XeroSauce said:
Hell, when I had passcodes, I hacked. The PrAXIS IS TOO GOOD.

Same here. I usually loathe hacking mini-games (fucking Alpha Protocol), but the one in this game is kinda similar to the one in Shadowrun (Sega Genesis) which I really liked.

Uchip

Banned
IoCaster said:
Same here. I usually loathe hacking mini-games (fucking Alpha Protocol), but the one in this game is kinda similar to the one in Shadowrun (Sega Genesis) which I really liked.

its certainly better than bioshocks hacking (if you can call it that)

IoCaster

Uchip said:
its certainly better than bioshocks hacking (if you can call it that)

Pipe Dreams? Yeah, that was a bit of classic gameplay needlessly resurrected, but it pales in comparison to some others I can think of. The hacking in Alpha Protocol especially. The first time I had to hack in that game I raged at the implementation and for the rest of the game I carried nothing but EMP kits in my inventory just so I wouldn't have to ever do it again. To this day I think whoever came up with that concept is an asshole.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey guys regarding ZEKE :

At first
I let the dude go, talked him out of that hostage situation and he says something along the lines of " I owe you, or something"
but then the next
time you see him, in sandovals apartment he just goes balls out and tries to kill me over and over again.
Is that how it is or did I screw something up ?

Riposte

My only problem with hacking is that it makes me be really careful when selecting my action. It seems to get really loose and imprecise and for the first couple of hours(don't remember how I felt about it in the preview build) I keep fucking it up and wasting viruses. Now I do it rather slowly. (Gave me Alpha Protocol flashbacks, but not nearly as bad.)

Corky said:

At first
I let the dude go, talked him out of that hostage situation and he says something along the lines of " I owe you, or something"
but then the next
time you see him, in sandovals apartment he just goes balls out and tries to kill me over and over again.

It's a plot device, he will always be hostile to you when you go talk to Sandoval - they're brothers.

P.S. 48/49 achievements done. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

red731 said:
I don't know if you know this PS3 players.

Hook up your keyboard and write passwords and type codes on numeric.

I wanted that and Eidos fulfilled it. Like in good old Deus Ex.

And while I was playing -

no spoiler but still
Walking around and hearing someone whistling Deus Ex theme? Unatco music playing on radio?
Holy shit this is awesome. When I stumble upon these little things I say no way and laugh away. Cool.
The details in this game are insane.
I'm really taking it slow and sucking it up. So awesome.

Corky

Castor Krieg said:
It's a plot device, he will always be hostile to you when you go talk to Sandoval - they're brothers.

P.S. 48/49 achievements done. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Yeah that I knew but I thought since what I did for him it could've ended differently than him lying in his own pool of blood.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I am having this delivered in an hour or so.
This will be the first Deus EX game I have ever played.
What can I expect?

Untracked

Corky said:

At first
but then the next
He got me good with the
Praxis trap
in that apartment.
I died like 6 times before I figured out WTF was going on. I thought it was a bug lol.

Corky

Untracked said:
He got me good with the
Praxis trap
in that apartment.
I died like 6 times before I figured out WTF was going on. I thought it was a bug lol.

yeah same here that was awesome :D, after I got him I moved the
corpse and saw the little nifty trap he had hidden under the body

L00P

Corky said:
Yeah that I knew but I thought since what I did for him it could've ended differently than him lying in his own pool of blood.
Did you
get the message from Pritchard and meet him somewhere? Because if you did he'll give some pocket secretary with access codes and stuff and he'll say that his debt is paid

Corky

L00P said:
Did you
get the message from Pritchard and meet him somewhere? Because if you did he'll give some pocket secretary with access codes and stuff and he'll say that his debt is paid

Oh shit I missed that quest, had no idea they were related.

Zenith

Banned
Some of the speech battles have 3 different variants of each line, and even if you choose the same order of responses it can turn out differently. So good.

There were some issues with the game, and I'm going to record them here for posterity in case 6 months later when everyone's dissecting the game I'm accused of leaping on the bandwagon.

-Live-action endings were lame. Even Invisible War showed you the results of your choices. Instead we get Jensen philosophising.
-Each area felt incrementally more rushed than the last. So it goes from excellent (the hubs) to the mid-tier (Picus) to the rushed (Panchea). To the extent that the ending decision is literally nothing more than 4 different buttons in front of you.
-Hugh Darrow's reasons for what he did made no sense. I read all his lectures, he's been doing excellent augmentation research for decades and suddenly he throws around lines like "God never meant us to have this", and then it turns out he's just annoyed that he can't benefit from it. And then we undo his whole motivation in one conversation.
-I did not like Picus, their news was so blatent it was insulting to my intelligence. I know it's probably meant as a dystopic prediction of Fox News and the like but still when you hear a newsreader say "I don't know about you folks but it sounds like Sarif has something to hide" I just shake my head. It would have been so much better if it had sounded even-handed and then when you got to Picus you find out all those counter-arguments that had sounded so reasonable were fabricated bullshit and you had been played just like the rest of society.
-Also they cheat. What's the point of gathering evidence or them planning intricate plans to sway public opinion if they can just fabricate videos of Augs stomping on bunnies?

Enco

Vulcano's assistant said:
That was the chick's fault, she was going to spend more than 5k yearly in neoropozyne anyway. When i learned about how low were the fees asked I came back to her apartment and punched her in the face.
Hmm.. Bitch fooled me. I punched the bar tender in the face.

edit: If I get the chance to go back, I'll punch her too

Veidt said:
I am having this delivered in an hour or so.
This will be the first Deus EX game I have ever played.
What can I expect?

It's my first deus ex game also.

It's a game full of detail and AWESOME sound, with a good story and great gameplay.

Imagine a game that has elements of Blade Runner, Mass Effect, Splinter Cell, MGS, Rainbow Six Vegas and covers it in awesome saus. And on top of that, you play as Seth Bullock from Deadwood.

Feeld good man. I'm so glad i bought it.

Zenith said:
-I did not like Picus, their news was so blatent it was insulting to my intelligence. I know it's probably meant as a dystopic prediction of Fox News and the like but still when you hear a newsreader say "I don't know about you folks but it sounds like Sarif has something to hide" I just shake my head. It would have been so much better if it had sounded even-handed and then when you got to Picus you find out all those counter-arguments that had sounded so reasonable were fabricated bullshit and you had been played just like the rest of society.
-Also they cheat. What's the point of gathering evidence or them planning intricate plans to sway public opinion if they can just fabricate videos of Augs stomping on bunnies?

Umm...
You realize Picus CEO is Morgan Everet, who becomes the leader of the Illuminati in DX1? The whole news channel is the Illuminati storefront.

IoCaster said:
At the end of the day though, I'd say it would be better to remove the mini-game entirely (for most games). Even here, which is the best I've seen, it gets tiresome by the end. And the bonuses make hacking way too powerful to omit from your build. Just make me hold a button to fill a bar, it doesn't need to be harder than that.

Zenith

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
Umm...
You realize Picus CEO is Morgan Everet, who becomes the leader of the Illuminati in DX1? The whole news channel is the Illuminati storefront.

Yes. How does that relate to anything I just said?

vordhosbn

Banned
Always-honest said:
It's my first deus ex game also.

It's a game full of detail and AWESOME sound, with a good story and great gameplay.

Imagine a game that has elements of Blade Runner, Mass Effect, Splinter Cell, MGS, Rainbow Six Vegas and covers it in awesome saus. And on top of that, you play as Seth Bullock from Deadwood.

Feeld good man. I'm so glad i bought it.
true

_Xenon_

Banned
How many reload speedup mod can you get in one run?

I'm back to Detroit and I've got 3, but I have spent them all on different weapons. Does it mean I'm screwed for gun nuts achievement?

Well I guess a second run is inevitable...

Balphon

_Xenon_ said:
How many reload speedup mod can you get in one run?

I'm back to Detroit and I've got 3, but I have spent them all on different weapons. Does it mean I'm screwed for gun nuts achievement?

Well I guess a second run is inevitable...

I think I ended up with 6 or 7. A few of the shopkeepers have one to sell later in the game so you might try checking them.

I finally managed to beat this game last night. At this point I have nothing but positive things to say about it, and I'm starting to feel like this may end up being my favorite game from this entire generation. There isn't a single complaint I've heard that I can relate with.

(end game spoilers)
I absolutely loved the ending. I chose the suicide ending because of the mystery and intrigue that came along with it as well as the belief that humanity should be able to choose their direction for themselves without the influence of myself or any of the other three major players. Jensen knew his role and he played it well. The monologue at the end was fantastic and it gave me some serious chill bumps when the main theme started playing during the credits.

I've never played a game that caused me to pause and seriously think about the implications of my dialog choices. HR managed to get this out of me multiple times, and I credit it to wonderful writing and a truly intriguing plot.

In all honesty though, this game is just a combination of everything I'm interested in. Deep philosophical questions, Metal Gear Solid gameplay, a western-RPG shell, and a game that is quite simply superbly designed in every aspect that I care about. I won't forget this one anytime soon.

This is the most dangerous game out there for someone that has to be up at 5 in the morning for work. :mad: Thought I would play an hour or so yesterday.... played for 6.5 hours. Game is so damn good. I never play that long, ever. Especially during the week. I cant imagine this NOT being my GOTY, and if the game continues like this, my game of this gen.

Solo

Treemonkeys said:
Any ideas about the extra achievements? Steam says I have 11 left to unlock but it only actually shows 4. DLC probably?

Hidden achievements. Which aren't really hidden as you can easily find a list of them all if you search on Google.

Also, don't worry about achievements.

1stStrike

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
I finally managed to beat this game last night. At this point I have nothing but positive things to say about it, and I'm starting to feel like this may end up being my favorite game from this entire generation. There isn't a single complaint I've heard that I can relate with.

(end game spoilers)
I absolutely loved the ending. I chose the suicide ending because of the mystery and intrigue that came along with it as well as the belief that humanity should be able to choose their direction for themselves without the influence of myself or any of the other three major players. Jensen knew his role and he played it well. The monologue at the end was fantastic and it gave me some serious chill bumps when the main theme started playing during the credits.

I've never played a game that caused me to pause and seriously think about the implications of my dialog choices. HR managed to get this out of me multiple times, and I credit it to wonderful writing and a truly intriguing plot.

In all honesty though, this game is just a combination of everything I'm interested in. Deep philosophical questions, Metal Gear Solid gameplay, a western-RPG shell, and a game that is quite simply superbly designed in every aspect that I care about. I won't forget this one anytime soon.

Pretty much how I feel too. I can't stop listening to the soundtrack either - especially the song "Endings". So good.

I'm working on a Deus Ex 1 play through and then I'm going to go back to Deus Ex: Human Revolution and do a different path. Can't wait to play as Jensen again!

froliq

Finished the game last night. What an amazing ride it has been. Easily my GOTY and I don't see anything beating it this year. Maybe even my favortie this gen.

Seems like I missed out on a couple of small things, the last sidequest and good e-mails. A shame, but there's always next time! Didn't care about going stealthy for the last hours and I just gunned every guard down. I was packed with ammo and credits thanks to looting pretty much everything and checking out every path.

Zenith

Banned
Uchip said:
So like
the main HR theme song is great
but i dont think i ever heard it in the game? whats the deal

3 places

someone whistles it in Detroit. Don't know who.
Megan's gramophone in the pure white room plays a scratchy version of it.
Wait for who the credits to go by for the Bob Page cutscene and after that it plays the full theme.

edit: sorry, mistook that for the main DE theme.

I mean, seriously, how many games are good enough to play for 11 hours in one day? I took off work yesterday because my wife was sick and guess what I was doing all day while she was sleeping?

This game is intoxicating.

I've been going through this game at a pretty casual pace so far and just recently got to the Chinese district. I got a total nerdgasm when I entered the city because nothing makes me happier than claustrophobic cyberpunk cityscapes. The level of immersion was awesome and the art direction for this part of the game is simply superb.

There is one thing, though, that completely removes me from the game and hurts the experience to such a degree that I just cannot enjoy the game. The voice acting in this title is beyond horrendous. I could deal with some of the bad voices in the starting area as they were at least partly American sounding, but the Chinese district is just over the top. There are a couple of bugs that I don't really hold against the game where approaching some of the Chinese citizens starts dialogue with an english voice actor. It's just a real shame that my immersion is completely broken while I explore this wonderfully crafted city by simply walking by an NPC.

The hyperactive animations during dialogue doesn't help either. I do hope we see mods for this game in the future or patches down the road that address the animation issues during conversations.

I'll probably see this game through on its art direction alone, but I can't believe they couldn't spend a bit more to get some decent voice actors.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
not sure what to say that to that. i have the complete opposite reaction to the voice acting. i think the dialogue--particularly when adam is talking--is all pretty great. in fact, i'd go so far as to say i love hearing adam talk about anything. the gravely voice is extremely effective.

Solo

The_Darkest_Red said:
I mean, seriously, how many games are good enough to play for 11 hours in one day?

For me? None. When I was a kid I could play for hours on end, but now I find about 4 hours is about the absolute max time I can spend gaming in a single session, no matter how much I like the game. After that time, my brain and eyes are sore and I need a break.

Like, I'll beat the game finally today. That marks 10 days to complete it. If I were 12 years old I would have done that in 2 days.

Solo said:
For me? None. When I was a kid I could play for hours on end, but now I find about 4 hours is about the absolute max time I can spend gaming in a single session, no matter how much I like the game. After that time, my brain and eyes are sore and I need a break.

Like, I'll beat the game finally today. That marks 10 days to complete it. If I were 12 years old I would have done that in 2 days.
I know what you mean, I usually get this "wow, I really need to stop playing this" feeling after 3 or 4 hours, usually due to a combination of mental and physical factors. The thing is, I never got that from HR. I played the game as long as I could whenever I could and that is beyond rare for me these days.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I know what you mean, I usually get this "wow, I really need to stop playing this" feeling after 3 or 4 hours, usually due to a combination of mental and physical factors. The thing is, I never got that from HR. I played the game as long as I could whenever I could and that is beyond rare for me these days.

First day I played HR for 17 hours. I don't think I ever spent that much time with any game, and I've been gaming for ca. 20 years.

Top Bottom