• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Lakitu

st5fu
BeeDog said:
Garden Pods spoiler:

What happens if you don't give Bruggie a weapon, and what happens if you do?

If you do:
he will contact you over infolink and give you 1000 credits.

D6AMIA6N said:
Ok so as many have stated before, the only real gripe I have with the game so far is that several of the side missions, two specifically that i can think of (Bar Tab & Shanghai Justice), are only able to be completed via hacking.

For a game this open ended on so many other aspects, it is surprising to see that some objectives are limited to only one solution. I mean seriously, Adam can punch through a concrete wall, but can't punch through a door WITH a window in it?! Sort of ridiculous.
I'm surprised you could even make it that far without getting annoyed at how many locations you were locked out of because of insufficient hacking skills. It didn't take me long to realize how important hacking was in the game, and I honestly can't imagine playing it without throwing a decent number of points towards hacking.

I get your point but I think the game is designed with the assumption that most players will have hacking at least somewhat upgraded by those points in the game. It's made fairly clear from the augment screen that hacking is extremely important regardless of your gameplay style.

I don't really see hacking as a play-style, I see hacking as an almost necessary supplement to every play-style. Stealth plus hacking, stealth combat plus hacking, combat plus hacking, etc.

Solo

BeeDog said:
Garden Pods spoiler:

Nothing happens really. Its not important. Motherfucker didn't get shit from me.

red731 said:
I don't know if you know this PS3 players.

Hook up your keyboard and write passwords and type codes on numeric.

I wanted that and Eidos fulfilled it. Like in good old Deus Ex.

You can do this on X360 also. I leave a keyboard hooked up all the time to chat through messenger and enter redemption codes .

Linkzg said:
yeah, there are a few difference that could be gathered from promotional media. spoilers:
Jensen faces Barret at the Hengsha docks, both in that gameplay footage and the CG trailer.

Another difference is (part of) the conspiracy was "who is the mysterious donor of Adam's military grade augmentations?"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deus-ex-human-revolution-e3-2010-trailer

Adam is nearly killed and must become augmented to save his life. In the world of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, mechanical augmentations are commonplace and can take the form of everything from microchips implanted in the brain to fully replacing limbs.

In Adam's case, he has a host of new augmentations received from a generous donor, some of which are military-grade.

The circumstances of Adam being critically wounded, and the impetus for his life-saving operation, are suspect. Is becoming augmented something Adam was ready for? Or wanted at all? And who supplied him with his military-grade augmentations?

I'm going to be playing my pacifist/no alarm run in Give me Deus Ex difficulty. Does anything change besides how quickly you take damage?
I'm on my first playthrough at that level, and I don't know the main differences, but about three 10mm pistol shots and you're dead as of Detroit's missions. That's with no armor AUGs though, which I'd assume you'd skip anyways for a true ninja build early on.

9 hours in, still in Detroit. The
Police HQ and the morgue
were flat out amazing. The sneaking in this game is so rewarding and wonderful- I said it earlier, but finally, I'm as hyped for stealth as MGS3.

Edit: Definitely agree with Solo on the VA - of course they take themselves seriously, it's Deus Ex! Adam's and Sarif's are the highlights so far.

Lakitu said:
If you do:
he will contact you over infolink and give you 1000 credits.

I had something a bit different;
I gave him a combat rifle, and he called me up and tossed me 2000 credits.

BeeDog

Oh, need to ask; I'm a compulsive save addict, so it seems I've hit the ceiling of 99 saves so I need to find the folder where save games are stored. No real luck so far; can anyone help me out?

D6AMIA6N

The_Darkest_Red said:
I'm surprised you could even make it that far without getting annoyed at how many locations you were locked out of because of insufficient hacking skills. It didn't take me long to realize how important hacking was in the game, and I honestly can't imagine playing it without throwing a decent number of points towards hacking.

I get your point but I think the game is designed with the assumption that most players will have hacking at least somewhat upgraded by those points in the game. It's made fairly clear from the augment screen that hacking is extremely important regardless of your gameplay style.

I don't really see hacking as a play-style, I see hacking as an almost necessary supplement to every play-style. Stealth plus hacking, stealth combat plus hacking, combat plus hacking, etc.

I have fully upgraded the stealth hacking AUG, have capture up to lvl 2, and the camera/robot hack. Again, it's not a a huge issue, but to me if hacking was going to be so predominant of a game mechanic, it should be a default skill, without needing to upgrade it. For example the difficulty of the hack could be more of a challenge, rather then just your hacking level is not high enough to even attempt the hack.

All the other AUG's are totally optional otherwise, aside from the few you have as a default, so to me it just seems sort of broken.

BeeDog said:
Oh, need to ask; I'm a compulsive save addict, so it seems I've hit the ceiling of 99 saves so I need to find the folder where save games are stored. No real luck so far; can anyone help me out?

wat, why do you need 99+?!

BeeDog

33-Hit-Combo said:
wat, why do you need 99+?!

I explained it perfectly clear, I'm a compulsive save addict (I have saved almost 2700 times in Fallout: NV) and it's worse now since new saves can't be done.

D6AMIA6N said:
I have fully upgraded the stealth hacking AUG, have capture up to lvl 2, and the camera/robot hack. Again, it's not a a huge issue, but to me if hacking was going to be so predominant of a game mechanic, it should be a default skill, without needing to upgrade it. For example the difficulty of the hack could be more of a challenge, rather then just your hacking level is not high enough to even attempt the hack.

All the other AUG's are totally optional otherwise, aside from the few you have as a default, so to me it just seems sort of broken.
Capture is MUCH more important than stealth hacking, so that's probably the first issue that's really holding you back. The reason it isn't a default skill is because you don't have to complete those side-quests and you don't have to access any high-level areas to complete the game, it's just strongly recommended (at least it appears that way to me). Some people may feel that other augs are more important even considering the fact that they will miss out on some locked areas and computers so they gave you the choice.

If you want to be able to access some of those highly restricted areas and complete some of those side-quests you are going to have to sacrifice a few augs in other areas. I think that's an intentional design decision and I personally have no problem with it.

BeeDog said:
I explained it perfectly clear, I'm a compulsive save addict (I have saved almost 2700 times in Fallout: NV) and it's worse now since new saves can't be done.

Okay... I'm going to leave it at that. Right.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
BeeDog said:

That's not an explanation though. Why are you addicted? You could just overwrite your previous saves

BeeDog

Superimposer said:
That's not an explanation though. Why are you addicted? You could just overwrite your previous saves

Because it's a pain in the ass to re-use the same top 3-4 slots when it's easier to just assume that higher save file number equals more game progress.

I don't fucking understand some people's insistance on questioning things instead of trying to help out or answer the question at hand, jesus. Does it exactly matter why I use many saves? I simply asked for the location/folder for the save files, nothing else.

garath

BeeDog said:
Garden Pods spoiler:

I don't know what happens if you don't, but if you do he survives and later he gives you 2000 credits

BeeDog said:
Because it's a pain in the ass to re-use the same top 3-4 slots when it's easier to just assume that higher save file number equals more game progress.

I don't fucking understand some people's insistance on questioning things instead of trying to help out or answer the question at hand, jesus. Does it exactly matter why I use many saves? I simply asked for the location/folder for the save files, nothing else.

We're just curious, it's not that big a deal. You don't have to respond to us.

We'd also help if we could.

Lakitu

st5fu
bonesmccoy said:
I had something a bit different;
I gave him a combat rifle, and he called me up and tossed me 2000 credits.

Yeah, I was mistakened,
it's actually 2000, not 1000.
My memory is lame.

Superimposer

BeeDog said:

Whatever man, you're crazy. I don't see how it's a pain in the ass, the latest save goes right up to the top so you have to press one extra key.

ctrayne

BeeDog said:
Yep. No reason to hate on this guy, I know a few people who do this.

Bread

Banned
BeeDog said:
Garden Pods spoiler:

I didn't have a spare weapon to give him, and when I later got a combat rifle from an unconscious soldier I couldn't give it to him. :(

BeeDog

33-Hit-Combo said:
We're just curious, it's not that big a deal. You don't have to respond to us.

We'd also help if we could.

I didn't mind your reply nearly as much as Superimposer's whose post accomplishes absolutely nothing other than throwing personal insults and ignoring the question at hand.

Anyway, was digging around and found the folder, seems it's:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\XXX\28050\remote

Where XXX will be one's Steam user ID.

In the middle of a 2nd runthrough and I'm starting to get the feeling that this game will not hold up as much as DX1 did. You get a billion praxis points and the game is just way too easy even on the highest difficulty, combine that with the more directed level design and lesser emphasis on exploration than DX1 and the cracks start to show. What a shame, at least that first playthrough was gold.

Superimposer

ctrayne said:
Yep. No reason to hate on this guy, I know a few people who do this.

No one was hating on him, if I knew the answer I would have told him, but I don't, so where's the problem

Red Blaster said:
In the middle of a 2nd runthrough and I'm starting to get the feeling that this game will not hold up as much as DX1 did. You get a billion praxis points and the game is just way too easy even on the highest difficulty, combine that with the more directed level design and lesser emphasis on exploration than DX1 and the cracks start to show. What a shame, at least that first playthrough was gold.

Agreed. It feels like I did everything on the first playthrough, though it took a long time. Subsequent playthroughs of Deus Ex were different.

It's a disappointment, but not necessarily bad. I'm still having a blast replaying it as I would replaying most games. It just doesn't feel like a new experience like Deus Ex did.

Linkzg said:
Agreed. It feels like I did everything on the first playthrough, though it took a long time. Subsequent playthroughs of Deus Ex were different.

It's a disappointment, but not necessarily bad. I'm still having a blast replaying it as I would replaying most games. It just doesn't feel like a new experience like Deus Ex did.
I think the level design outside of the hub-worlds is extremely reminiscent of MGS 2 and 3. I haven't played the original Deus Ex and MGS 3 is my favorite game ever so I would imagine that my opinion is more biased towards a favorable view of HR's level design.

It may not be as open as some would like, especially huge fans of the original, but for someone like me it is exactly what I'm looking for.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
See You Next Wednesday said:
I have a problem with this. A lot of the side quests do have that typical out of place missions that distract from the main game.

I mean you land in Hengsha to look into the death of your scientists & oh yeah, to help a hooker take out her pimp along the way.
Dude, the game is taking place six months after the scientists died in the intro, you don't exactly need to rush your investigation. I mean if it was that important, Sarif would have started investigating using someone else six months earlier.

Stallion Free said:
Dude, the game is taking place six months after the scientists died in the intro, you don't exactly need to rush your investigation. I mean if it was that important, Sarif would have started investigating using someone else six months earlier.
Not to mention, most of the side-quests are much more relevant to the main story than that one.

Dyno

People are bitching about the bosses but they're not anything to get caught up on. The purpose they serve is that Jensen gets his revenge on the people who fucked him up.

I did the first one:
Everything to beat that guy was given in the room. I found three EMP grenades and I couldn't even use them fast enough before the guy died. The first EMP stunned him for so long that I was able to throw all three red barrels at his head. There was Typhoon ammo and PEPS ammo (though I never found that weapon.) In the end I finished that guy off with blind-fire shotgun blasts while behind cover

I'm actually looking forward to the other bosses because it's a chance for your character to go crazy with all the stuff they have found. Throughout the game I'm using a certain level of restraint in order to be stealthy and not too lethal. These bosses, they will get all my hate. It's pallet cleansing!

Typhoon Challenge! What's the most you got with the Typhoon? I dropped six guys in one go. That was all right, that made me feel good inside.

thefil

Popping in to make a recommendation: this game is way better with objective markers off, object highlights off, quests inactive and never opening the map window.

Try it.

In the Alice Gardens,
I gave the hacker a revolver with a single bullet in it, Jack-Sparrow-Marooned-on-an-island style; I'd only just gotten it and since the 10MM is such a beast, I was just hanging onto it to sell it. I gave it to him, he thanked me. Later on, he infolinked me giving me 2000 and thanking me for saving his life. God knows what he did with that one bullet, but it was clearly effective.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
thefil said:
Popping in to make a recommendation: this game is way better with objective markers off, object highlights off, quests inactive and never opening the map window.

Try it.
I'm really terrible at getting my bearings (even in real life), so objective markers were a savior for me, especially for side quests in Hengsha. Others are welcome to try it, but I would not be able to finish the game without objective markers.

eek5

Kaltagesta said:
In the Alice Gardens,
I gave the hacker a revolver with a single bullet in it, Jack-Sparrow-Marooned-on-an-island style; I'd only just gotten it and since the 10MM is such a beast, I was just hanging onto it to sell it. I gave it to him, he thanked me. Later on, he infolinked me giving me 2000 and thanking me for saving his life. God knows what he did with that one bullet, but it was clearly effective.
To be fair NPCs have ammo duplicating augs. :lol

raphier

Banned
Deadly said:
Is the crossbow lethal if not shot through the head?
Yes.

Alas, now that I know with every mission, there is a ventilation system leading straight to it, this game kinda lost it's charm on me.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Kaltagesta said:
In the Alice Gardens,

Clearly :
The One Free Bullet
Finish the game firing exactly one bullet. Grenade, crowbar, rocket, and Gravity Gun kills are okay!

ruxtpin

Banned
See You Next Wednesday said:
I have a problem with this. A lot of the side quests do have that typical out of place missions that distract from the main game.

I mean you land in Hengsha to look into the death of your scientists & oh yeah, to help a hooker take out her pimp along the way.

The scientist is the pimp

/thatsthetwist

Dyno said:
People are bitching about the bosses but they're not anything to get caught up on. The purpose they serve is that Jensen gets his revenge on the people who fucked him up.
I just think it's funny when people complain about how you don't have a "choice" when it comes to fighting the bosses, as if that somehow undermines the rest of the narrative of the game or something. The entire point of the boss battles is that Jensen doesn't have a choice because he is trapped with his back to the wall. There is literally no other option for him but to fight and hope to survive, so why does that hurt the overall narrative structure of the game? When he has the option to be either stealthy or go in guns blazing you can make that choice, but sometimes you don't get the luxury because the situation catches you off guard and forces you to work with what you've got.

As far as what the boss battles add or take away from the game in terms of the gameplay that is an entirely separate discussion. Personally I'm with you, I like the change of pace and full on combat focus of the boss battles, it helps keep things interesting. Either way they are short and infrequent enough that I would only see them as a minor issue even if I didn't enjoy them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dyno said:

You're not the first person to use this reasoning, but its completely meaningless to me. Story should never, ever take priority over game mechanics.

Top Bottom