• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

raphier

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
I mean, seriously, how many games are good enough to play for 11 hours in one day? I took off work yesterday because my wife was sick and guess what I was doing all day while she was sleeping?

This game is intoxicating.
So far only Stalker and the witcher for me and this game.

beelzebozo said:
not sure what to say that to that. i have the complete opposite reaction to the voice acting. i think the dialogue--particularly when adam is talking--is all pretty great. in fact, i'd go so far as to say i love hearing adam talk about anything. the gravely voice is extremely effective.

Actually I completely agree with you. I generally enjoy Adam's dialogue and the way he's written. There were one or two times where I feel the emotion of the conversation was a little confused, but overall I think Adam, as well as most of the other main characters, are pretty good.

I guess I didn't really make my point clear, but most of the extra and minor characters in this game are just awful. Most of the horrendous voice work comes from the non-white characters (please don't infer any racial remarks from this D:).

Castor Krieg said:
First day I played HR for 17 hours. I don't think I ever spent that much time with any game, and I've been gaming for ca. 20 years.
The thing is, after finishing HR, I can totally understand that. I'm scared to think of how quickly I could have finished this game if I didn't have any responsibilities.

so addictive. just got to heng sha. i love how many different ways there are to do things. heng sha is a much more vibrant city than detroit, even with the terrible asian accents. what an amazing game. not one bit has been boring so far seriously. this and bastion are the two best games ive played this year for sure.

Interfectum

Castor Krieg said:
First day I played HR for 17 hours. I don't think I ever spent that much time with any game, and I've been gaming for ca. 20 years.

The best compliment I can give is I feel like I'm 15 years old again while playing this game. I haven't got so engrossed in a game like this in a long, long time. I always attributed it to growing older and losing interest in gaming... but it's obvious that most developers don't really target someone like me as much anymore.

Autofokus

red731 said:
I don't know if you know this PS3 players.

Hook up your keyboard and write passwords and type codes on numeric.

I wanted that and Eidos fulfilled it. Like in good old Deus Ex.

And while I was playing -

no spoiler but still
Walking around and hearing someone whistling Deus Ex theme? Unatco music playing on radio?
Holy shit this is awesome. When I stumble upon these little things I say no way and laugh away. Cool.
Does the game support the official wireless keypad too? I'm 1 of the two guys who bought one.

red731

Autofokus said:
Does the game support the official wireless keypad too? I'm 1 of the two guys who bought one.

I think so. I am using some random usb keyboard with usb extenter cable and it works.
Not only in this game. I use it to chat in games or home or whereever the typing option is.

Ricker

Zenith said:
Finished it. Game's a bit weird in that it progressively feels more and more rushed.

Had the same problem. Throw an AUD at it then run away and wait for the guards to go from yellow to green.

Haha,that actually worked...I almost gave up on the end of this quest because of that but I`m glad I went throught it,the ending had me grinning,go Malik go lol...

dmshaposv

Still haven't had the chance to start the game, was still having Bastion withdrawls..:(

Listened to some music. Holy fuck, what with this and Bastion, I never thought I'd actually consider buying video game OSTs.
I never asked for this...

Year of the VG OST and RPG, indeed.

I'm playing the mission where
Malik gets killed. Wanted to know if it's possible if she can be saved as I tried a couple of times and failed. I have a feeling she will emerge later on

boundedseven said:
Malik gets killed. Wanted to know if it's possible if she can be saved as I tried a couple of times and failed. I have a feeling she will emerge later on
Yes, you can save her, but you have to act fast. You have to be pro-active too, sitting back and sniping everyone will take too long. Get your takedown on and keep those batteries charged. Also, this isn't coming from experience because I failed to save her myself. :)

I love the part where (fairly late-game spoiler)
Zhao Yun Ru hits the button on that remote and nothing happens. Adam just looks around like, "umm.. what?" The look on her face after that was priceless.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The_Darkest_Red said:
Yes, you can save her, but you have to act fast. You have to be pro-active too, sitting back and sniping everyone will take too long. Get your takedown on and keep those batteries charged. Also, this isn't coming from experience because I failed to save her myself. :)

Im a bit surprised people seem to having so much trouble with this, unless they're specifically going for the pacifist achievement (which would make it much, much harder).
First time I sniped all but one enemy from the platform you start on, sniping the last from the ground, and felt I had more than enough time to take the enemies out quickly and painlessly. One EMP grenade and the mech was down before it got up.

Just beat it:

+Great presentation overall, the visuals, soundtrack, voice acting, art design were top notch.
+Adam Jensen is one of my favorite game protagonists ever.
+I love how it didn't use the generic good/evil for different paths shit and just made it into a different ways of doing the job.
+It was paced perfectly for the 20 hour main game, and the side quests do not negatively affect the flow of the game at all(which is a problem with many games today)
+Stealth gameplay is some of the best out there.
+Interesting world with a good story, characters and a lot to uncover.
+The choices are actually difficult.
+Persuading characters is pretty fun.

-The boss fights are some of the worst in any game out there, broken to the point where you'll get frustrated cause you die all the time and yet when you figure out how to kill the boss it takes less than 20 seconds. The final boss was a complete joke.
-A little too easy at times.
-The AI is pretty stupid.

Overall I'd put it in my top 5 of this generation, can't wait for another one.

Salaadin

Is the main .exe for this game different than the one found in steamapps/common/deus ex human revolution?

Im trying to set up a mouse profile for it so that grenade are bound to one of my extra mouse buttons but it doesnt seem to be working.

froliq

The_Darkest_Red said:
I love the part where (fairly late-game spoiler)
Zhao Yun Ru hits the button on that remote and nothing happens. Adam just looks around like, "umm.. what?" The look on her face after that was priceless.
If you mean the cutscene before the 3rd boss, then that button press does fuck you up if you have visited a LIMB clinic when you are in Hengsha for the 2nd time.

EatChildren said:
Im a bit surprised people seem to having so much trouble with this, unless they're specifically going for the pacifist achievement (which would make it much, much harder).
First time I sniped all but one enemy from the platform you start on, sniping the last from the ground, and felt I had more than enough time to take the enemies out quickly and painlessly. One EMP grenade and the mech was down before it got up.
Oh okay, well I guess I just took too long to snipe everyone then. I only tried that section twice and I decided to stick with my result so I'm not really sure how difficult it is to save her but I was assuming it would be fairly challenging. I'm going to try and get the achievement on my next play-through (which will be a pacifist run) but I'll probably just run around as a cloaked madman and try to use non-lethal take-downs on everyone.

froliq said:
If you mean the cutscene before the 3rd boss, then that button press does fuck you up if you have visited a LIMB clinic when you are in Hengsha for the 2nd time.
I know, that's what makes it so awesome! I was just about to get the new chip and then I started thinking about it and decided not to. I'm so glad that decision had an interesting payoff.

KAOz

Short bus special
froliq said:

You can still visit the LIMB clinic. :p You can agree or disagree to implant the chip there. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to buy the 2 extra Praxits Kits there.

froliq

KAOz said:
You can still visit the LIMB clinic. :p You can agree or disagree to implant the chip there. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to buy the 2 extra Praxits Kits there.
Yeah, I meant that. Didn't explain it correctly :p At that point in the game I thought I needed that chip though.

froliq said:
Yeah, I meant that. Didn't explain it correctly :p At that point in the game I thought I needed that chip though.
I read or saw somewhere that the chips were coming from TYM and that was enough reason for me to not get a new one. There was no way they could be up to any good. There's also a radio I heard in the Harvester hideout where a guy was talking about how something was up with the whole chip recall. He pointed out that these companies have never shown accountability for augmentation screw-ups so why would they start doing it now by paying for a new chip for every single augmented person?

YuriLowell said:
Can someone help me finish off the boss in montreal?

I'm having a hell of a time trying to finish it.
The easiest way to beat him is with the Typhoon Explosive System if you have it. Just run up to him at the beginning of the fight and nail him with it then run back to the wall that's in between the outer and inner sections of the room and take cover. Blind-fire with your gun of choice (I used the laser rifle) at him until he flips over the wall. Then you can just blind-fire around the other side of the wall and keep repeating that as he changes sides. If he throws grenades either run away or rush him and Typhoon him again. If you really want to cheese him then just Typhoon him a bunch of times until he's dead and don't worry about shooting him at all.

If you don't have the TES then you just have to take cover somewhere and make sure that he can't get a clean shot on you with his plasma rifle. Use blind-fire and grenades to your advantage also. If you have mines then place those around the hallways and try to lure him into them.

Balphon

grkazan12 said:
Anyone have any idea?

I believe you need to:
(A) get Serif to give up the information on the security hole while talking with him in his office after the first boss fight; (B) speak to Pritchard about it afterwards; and (C) read the emails on Jensen's computer Serif sent after the conversation. It should then start when Pritchard calls you while you're on the way to the Convention Center after returning to Detroit.

If you did all that, no idea.

kitch9

Banned
EatChildren said:

The revolver with explosive bullets and laser sighting dropped em all in in about 10 seconds for me. (Including the Mech.)

Very easy with that.

Akia

Wow, that first mission was tough. I only had 1 traq sniper bullet for half of the whole mission. My goal was to play stealth and to avoid enemies instead of shooting. It made the entire experience so much harder and annoying. Also
I didn't save the hostages because I didn't know where to find them
. Now I don't feel like playing it over because it took a couple hours alone just to get through it once.

WrathOfOtaibah said:
Just beat it:

+It was paced perfectly for the 20 hour main game, and the side quests do not negatively affect the flow of the game at all(which is a problem with many games today)

I have a problem with this. A lot of the side quests do have that typical out of place missions that distract from the main game.

I mean you land in Hengsha to look into the death of your scientists & oh yeah, to help a hooker take out her pimp along the way.

boundedseven said:

If you're going for pacifist, let her die. If not, and you want to keep her alive, your best bet is going lethal and going for headshots. An EMP helps as well, for a robot that enters into the fight. I used my revolver with laser site and explosive rounds, which seemed to do the trick. Toss the EMP at the robot as soon as it appears.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think I might be done with this game. Just talked to hologram girl post-second city and have to go find real girl. I have no attachment to any of the story going on around me, side-quest or otherwise, and the best parts of the game seem to be the bits that aren't actually tied to any story set-pieces (randomly finding hidden parts of the city or stumbling into a new code or key item). I don't think the feedback loop the stealth path offers is particularly engaging, and the combat side of things feels either super-cheap because of ridiculously stupid AI or ridiculously hard because of odd player movement quirks.

I just can't bear the dialogue. So many lines that feel like a first draft or something. People don't talk like that.

Everything is just feeling really artificial and fake to me. The combat, the exploration, the story... it's all there, I can see it, I can feel the developer trying really hard, but nothing actually resonates or really ingrains itself in my memory. It's like a poor man's Mass Effect with a couple of extra paths to the goal. Maybe that sounds absurd to some of you, and it might be, but maybe it communicates just how much I'm missing the point, be it the game's fault or my own.

But credit where credit is due, I absolutely love what they did with the transitions between third and first-person. It never feels jarring, even to some asshole like me who has a very small ideological problem with the switching perspectives idea in the first place.

I went in having seen nothing of this game before its release and having not played Deus Ex. I don't get it. At all. There's nothing in the game that emotionally interfaces me as a player with what is supposed to be happening on screen, on ANY level, and that's super weird. I wish I could be more articulate.

Solo

The_Darkest_Red said:
Yes, you can save her, but you have to act fast. You have to be pro-active too, sitting back and sniping everyone will take too long.

Wrong. I saved her by sitting behind cover and sniping every baddie with a headshot from my 10mm god-pistol, and EMP'd the bot.

dyergram

So im about 4 hours in and im enjoying what iv played but im not really happy with the performance im getting. Im on a quad core with 4gb ram and a 5850 what should I tweek to get a consistent frame rate I am playing in 1080p with every on full would just dropping down to dx10 do the job?

Salaadin

dyergram said:
So im about 4 hours in and im enjoying what iv played but im not really happy with the performance im getting. Im on a quad core with 4gb ram and a 5850 what should I tweek to get a consistent frame rate I am playing in 1080p with every on full would just dropping down to dx10 do the job?

I have a similar setup and I turned tesselation off, SSAO to normal, and AA to MLAA and its been pretty smooth. I get a few drops from 60-45 when I first enter an area but then it smooths out. You can probably start from there and maybe lower a few others to get it perfectly smooth. Its been fine for me like this.

One thing I notice about this game is that fps drops are pretty noticeable. Some games seem so smooth that you dont realize when it drops from 60 to 45 but thats not the case here.

Solo said:
Wrong. I saved her by sitting behind cover and sniping every baddie with a headshot from my 10mm god-pistol, and EMP'd the bot.
Point taken, it looks like I was just too slow in the two times I tried it. I think it would actually have been easier with my pistol versus the super-slow bolt-action sniper rifle I was using.

Either way though, when I said "sniping" I was implying "using the sniper rifle." :p

erragal

MrCompletely said:
If you're going for pacifist, let her die. If not, and you want to keep her alive, your best bet is going lethal and going for headshots. An EMP helps as well, for a robot that enters into the fight. I used my revolver with laser site and explosive rounds, which seemed to do the trick. Toss the EMP at the robot as soon as it appears.

I got Pacifist and saved Malik. It took a few tries to do, mostly because of the exploding robot. Cloak is almost a must to do it easily. Immediately on arriving I cloaked, ran to the lower first guy and stun gunned him, turned to the left and tossed a gas grenade to take out the heavies, stunned the guy hiding behind boxes to the right. Then you have to drag the unconcious body of the heavy guy that takes point or he'll die when you explode the robot. EMP grenade the robot and make sure no one else is close; the rest of the cleanup is really easy and lacking pressure because only the robots/heavy guys do any damage to Malik. Was really satisfying to do it successfully though!

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
My thoughts so far:
The last game I remember playing religiously was God of War and before that, Uncharted 2.
I have not in a long time played a game, and wilfully had to stop myself from playing it, or else it would suck me in too much.
The first thing I noticed here was the soundtrack. I mean seriously, I cannot believe video games have gotten this far. It's so illusive, non intrusive, and lends itself to the atmosphere in such a manner that you can't separate it from the game. It's not the generic blast your way through and kill shit music you get in other games. This, much like the soundtrack for the uncharted series, appears to have been composed to actually enhance the immersion.

The gameplay:
The game play feels natural. It doesn't take too long to get used to things, and even the more unique aspects of it ( hacking, augmentation)- are explained so thoroughly, that you will often succeed in your first attempt. Plus, tutorial chick has got one hot voice.

The world:
Where to start?
Am I the only one that loves the way the FPS mode feels in this game? It isn't artificial. It's quite smooth,and the movements are fluid and as natural as possible. When you run, you feel like you're running. And the best part:
You don't feel like a midget.
Most FPS make you feel as if you have to look up at everyone. It's an annoying trait.

I have never played an fps, or indeed an action game that comes this close to the sandbox level of interaction, especially in this day and age where it's all just about shooting your way through things. You can choose so many different paths. Vents, so many vents! I
I regretted
letting the hostage taker go. When I saw that my action led to the death of the hostage, fairly immediately. Of course it also didn't help that everyone thought I was an asshole/incompetent. In fact, the regret level was so high, that I even went as far as restarting the level, just to try and change. Too bad autosave had already kicked in by the that time. So I have to live with that mistake.

Dragging bodies. Yess. So far, this feels like Metal Gear Solid + Mass Effect. It has been a long time since I've loved a game enough for me to play more than an hour.

Can't wait to get to this in a few hours time again.

Hakkuei

erragal said:
I got Pacifist and saved Malik. It took a few tries to do, mostly because of the exploding robot. Cloak is almost a must to do it easily. Immediately on arriving I cloaked, ran to the lower first guy and stun gunned him, turned to the left and tossed a gas grenade to take out the heavies, stunned the guy hiding behind boxes to the right. Then you have to drag the unconcious body of the heavy guy that takes point or he'll die when you explode the robot. EMP grenade the robot and make sure no one else is close; the rest of the cleanup is really easy and lacking pressure because only the robots/heavy guys do any damage to Malik. Was really satisfying to do it successfully though!
Yeah it's not that hard on pacifist once you get a good pattern going.

charsace

Lostconfused said:
What the hell. Why do you have to keep making posts that I find entirely agreeable with my opinions? It almost makes me doubt my whole stance on this issue.

But yes I do think the action aspect of the game could be improved. Some weapons are definitely a lot weaker than they should be without upgrades and even some upgrades aren't as good as you would expect them to be.

Hell it would be easy to add like six or eight levels of new augs just to support a more action oriented play style. One aug split into four tiers that buffs max health to 200, another one that buffs health regen also split into several tiers.
With the augs that are already in the game I can clear a room out with a mech in it while mostly not using cover. They give you grenades, damage buff, super strength, invisibility and a shotgun. You can go to town with just these. The only thing I want is the ability to shield yourself with a body.

grendelrt

Salaadin said:
I have a similar setup and I turned tesselation off, SSAO to normal, and AA to MLAA and its been pretty smooth. I get a few drops from 60-45 when I first enter an area but then it smooths out. You can probably start from there and maybe lower a few others to get it perfectly smooth. Its been fine for me like this.

One thing I notice about this game is that fps drops are pretty noticeable. Some games seem so smooth that you dont realize when it drops from 60 to 45 but thats not the case here.

I have a 5970 and everything maxed, in some spots it doesnt matter what I do the framerate still will drop to 45fps. There are two very specific spots in Detroit i happens, I dont think its anything to do with the card, I think its some weirdness in those two spots in the game.

D6AMIA6N

Ok so as many have stated before, the only real gripe I have with the game so far is that several of the side missions, two specifically that i can think of (Bar Tab & Shanghai Justice), are only able to be completed via hacking.

For a game this open ended on so many other aspects, it is surprising to see that some objectives are limited to only one solution. I mean seriously, Adam can punch through a concrete wall, but can't punch through a door WITH a window in it?! Sort of ridiculous.

raphier said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-deus-ex/702811

wtf? spoiler alert: The first boss fight turned out absolutely different. Or what am I missing here.
lots of changes since 2010. Why they did so? I thought the 2010 version was amazing.

EDIT: well, apparently devs didn't want to make a 60hour game. Wouldn't have that DLC value, I guess.

yeah, there are a few difference that could be gathered from promotional media. spoilers:
Jensen faces Barret at the Hengsha docks, both in that gameplay footage and the CG trailer.

She wanted me to knock out a guy and throw him off a building? Well, Madam, I'll do that, but when I come back to do the same to you, complain to Buddha, not me.

Salaadin

grendelrt said:
I have a 5970 and everything maxed, in some spots it doesnt matter what I do the framerate still will drop to 45fps. There are two very specific spots in Detroit i happens, I dont think its anything to do with the card, I think its some weirdness in those two spots in the game.

The transit station area (I forget what its called in game) in Detroit always brings me drops regardless of what I do. Its weird considering thats a pretty small, tight area with not a lot going on. I always assumed it was there to help mask some loading and the fps drops were due to that.

Top Bottom