• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

The_Darkest_Red said:
I just think it's funny when people complain about how you don't have a "choice" when it comes to fighting the bosses, as if that somehow undermines the rest of the narrative of the game or something. The entire point of the boss battles is that Jensen doesn't have a choice because he is trapped with his back to the wall. There is literally no other option for him but to fight and hope to survive, so why does that hurt the overall narrative structure of the game? When he has the option to be either stealthy or go in guns blazing you can make that choice, but sometimes you don't get the luxury because the situation catches you off guard and forces you to work with what you've got.

As far as what the boss battles add or take away from the game in terms of the gameplay that is an entirely separate discussion. Personally I'm with you, I like the change of pace and full on combat focus of the boss battles, it helps keep things interesting. Either way they are short and infrequent enough that I would only see them as a minor issue even if I didn't enjoy them.
Totally agree with all that.

Coldsnap

What version should I get Xbox 360 or PC (will only use controller)? On the Giantbomb coverage the PC version didnt seem to look much better than the xbox plus I don't know how well the controller support is, which is making me leans towards the xbox version.

Coldsnap said:
What version should I get Xbox 360 or PC (will only use controller)? On the Giantbomb coverage the PC version didnt seem to look much better than the xbox plus I don't know how well the controller support is, which is making me leans towards the PC version.
I think the last part of your post you meant lean towards 360 version? Anyway, what are your specs? The controller support is perfect... it instantly recognizes my wireless 360 controller, and I can switch between it and mouse just by moving the mouse. I've used the controller the whole game so far. If your specs are good enough to run it well, get the PC version, unless you're really into 360 achievements.

Coldsnap

Heavy said:
I think the last part of your post you meant lean towards 360 version? Anyway, what are your specs? The controller support is perfect... it instantly recognizes my wireless 360 controller, and I switch between it and mouse just by moving the mouse. I've used the controller the whole game so far.

Oops. My PC is a i5 2500k, GTX 560, and 4 gigs of ram; no overclocking. Glad to hear the support is flawless, I too use a wireless xbox 360 controller and play on my 55' Plasma.

Coldsnap said:
Oops. My PC is a i5 2500k, GTX 560, and 4 gigs of ram; no overclocking. Glad to hear the support is flawless, I too use a wireless xbox 360 controller and play on my 55' Plasma.
Yeah.. jesus dude, just get the PC version. It's also probably cheaper. If you bought it yesterday you could've got it for $34 at greenmangaming.com but it's now $42

maomaoIYP

Meus Renaissance said:
Is there a way to save
Faridah
?

Yes. You need to be real quick though. And it's extremely tricky if you're going for a pacifist run.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I'm going to be playing my pacifist/no alarm run in Give me Deus Ex difficulty. Does anything change besides how quickly you take damage?
Interactive items are never highlighted, you never get waypoint markers on your HUD, and the
convincing segments have the correct answers changed.
I just got these 3 achievements 5 mins ago.

EatChildren said:
You're not the first person to use this reasoning, but its completely meaningless to me. Story should never, ever take priority over game mechanics.
The boss battles are really what you make of them. If you want to go in and typhoon everything it's certainly possible but there are also fun and interesting ways to approach them. I won't deny that there are janky and cheesy ways to beat all of them but I think they can be quite fun if you opt for some alternative strategies. Regardless, I wouldn't argue that HR has better bosses than a game like MGS3.

It's obvious that the bosses have a significant place in the story but they also serve an important role from a gameplay perspective because they mix things up and give the pacing a quick spike of adrenaline from time to time. Whether or not you find that necessary or successful comes down to personal preference but I quite enjoyed their addition to the design formula.

Coldsnap

Heavy said:
Yeah.. jesus dude, just get the PC version. It's also probably cheaper. If you bought it yesterday you could've got it for $34 at greenmangaming.com but it's now $42

hahah, ok. Dang, there's always a deal that was just missed! I will wait next week to buy it, maybe a deal will pop up. I never even heard of greenmangaming.com, odd place.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Solo said:
I like boss battles. I don't care if they're "gamey" - I am, afterall, playing a game.
NO BUT YOU SEE YOU HAVE TO FEEL LIKE YOU'RE EXPERIENCING REAL LIFE! VIDEO GAMES ARE SO 1995

thetrin said:
NO BUT YOU SEE YOU HAVE TO FEEL LIKE YOU'RE EXPERIENCING REAL LIFE! VIDEO GAMES ARE SO 1995
I know, right? I was really enjoying this game until my dog stepped in front of a rear surround speaker and messed up some of the ambient noise that was coming from behind me. That event was so immersion breaking that I just completely hated the game from then on. It really just took me out of the experience permanently.

0/10 for HR.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
thetrin said:

So now we're belittling criticism of the boss battles?

eek5

Solo said:
I like boss battles. I don't care if they're "gamey" - I am, afterall, playing a game.
I don't mind boss battles but the ones in DXHR aren't gamey enough. Something about getting one shotted by a boss isn't fun IMO. After figuring out how to beat the boss, the battles take like 10 seconds.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
EatChildren said:
Hell no. I think the boss fights are total crap, honestly. They're also so broken that one ability negates their existence. I was just making a joke. :p

EatChildren said:
I think he was just responding with one sarcastic criticism that kind of typifies the issue that some people have with the boss battles. It wasn't really an all-inclusive statement that absolutely ruled out the possibility of legitimate criticism towards them.

Obviously I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth but that's just how I see it. I have no problem with anyone not liking the boss battles, especially if they really do have some legitimate complaints that are gameplay related. I think the complaints with how boss battles affect the narrative are a little out there, though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
thetrin said:
Hell no. I think the boss fights are total crap, honestly. They're also so broken that one ability negates their point. I was just making a joke. :p

I can dig it.

thetrin

Grisby said:
I just think the boss battles could have been better and the characters themselves used more in the plot.
I think that's what annoyed me THE MOST, especially after the CG trailers that insinuated that they would have a large hand in the game itself. They don't. In fact, you almost never see them. You see Fedorova maybe twice the entire game. You see Barrett twice, and you see Namir...three times? Each occurrence is no longer than 20 seconds.

Grisby said:
I just think the boss battles could have been better and the characters themselves used more in the plot.
I think that's fair. The bosses were definitely pretty underdeveloped as characters.

thetrin said:
I think that's what annoyed me THE MOST, especially after the CG trailers that insinuated that they would have a large hand in the game itself. They don't. In fact, you almost never see them. You see Fedorova maybe twice the entire game. You see Barrett twice, and you see Namir...three times? Each occurrence is no longer than 20 seconds.
You know, this actually makes me think that they are really just there for gameplay reasons and not because the story actually required them or anything.

Carcetti

In the Alice Garders I
didn't give him a gun since I only had my 2 super pimped guns. However, I made sure to kill anything moving in the whole level with my god pistol, so I'll be very sad if it turns out that he didn't live after all.

Other than the boss battles I'm loving this game, can't see how anyone who likes Deus Ex could not like it.

thetrin

Carcetti said:
In the Alice Garders I
didn't give him a gun since I only had my 2 super pimped guns. However, I made sure to kill anything moving in the whole level with my god pistol, so I'll be very sad if it turns out that he didn't live after all.

Other than the boss battles I'm loving this game, can't see how anyone who likes Deus Ex could not like it.
I'm pretty sure the only thing that defines
his status is whether or not you give him a gun.

Danj

Meus Renaissance said:
Is there a way to save
Faridah
?

I did it with a sniper rifle. But like others are saying, you do have to be real quick about it. It might be worth saving just before that scene, making a note of where all the dudes are, then reloading and just knocking them down bam-bam-bam.

Sullichin

Grisby said:

I agree with this. I found the conversations with the persuasion meter to be more fun "boss fights" because they were interactions with established characters. The merc bosses seem to lack any personality.

ironcreed

Banned
Heavy said:
Totally agree with all that.

As do I. Because I would imagine that if such a scenario was really playing out, some encounters that hinge on life or death where you have no other choice would be inevitable. Not to mention that you want revenge from the get-go on these assholes (at least that is the case with me), so it just fits. At any rate, the game itself is a perfect example of the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts.

The Bookerman said:
just did what Xav from Weekend confirmed did in his playthrough... Bring a turret to a boss fight. Boom. Sucka got killed.
Yeah I brought a turret too. It's called the Typhoon Explosion System.

In all seriousness though, that's pretty cool.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The_Darkest_Red said:
Yeah I brought a turret too. It's called the Typhoon Explosion System.
It sucks if you got the biochip. The third boss is an absolute bitch then.

I was all ready to
Save Malik without killing anybody
with my expert use of cloaking, takedowns and energy bars, but then a fucking mech appears. I just assumed running the other way is the only possible solution there.

kayos90

Ventilaator said:
I was all ready to
with my expert use of cloaking, takedowns and energy bars, but then a fucking mech appears. Is it even possible to solve that situation in any other way than just running the other way or
getting Malik dead
?
EMP

Ventilaator said:
I was all ready to
with my expert use of cloaking, takedowns and energy bars, but then a fucking mech appears. Is it even possible to solve that situation in any other way than just running the other way or
getting Malik dead
?

Go right first, stun/takedown everyone, climb upstairs, take out the sniper. Tranq the guy in the building opposite. Icarus drop down and take em out from the back. Careful where you take them out and you can EMP nade the machine (wait, does that count as a kill?).

thetrin

kayos90 said:
It sucks if you got the biochip. The third boss is an absolute bitch then.
That's why you don't
get your biochip replaced by a multinational corporation when you're in the middle of uncovering a fucking global conspiracy plot involving multinational corporations!

I don't know how any of you actually thought it would be a good idea to get it replaced.

kayos90

thetrin said:
That's why you don't
get your biochip replaced by a multinational corporation when you're in the middle of uncovering a fucking global conspiracy plot involving multinational corporations!

I don't know how any of you actually thought it would be a good idea to get it replaced.
I knew it was going to screw me in some way. I chose to get it because I wanted to know HOW it was going to screw me. I didn't know it was going to be for a freaking boss fight.

thetrin

kayos90 said:
I knew it was going to screw me in some way. I chose to get it because I wanted to know HOW it was going to screw me. I didn't know it was going to be for a freaking boss fight.
I didn't know how it was going to screw me, but I just assumed it was going to add a killswitch to my biochip, a major plot point in DX1.

kayos90

thetrin said:
I didn't know how it was going to screw me, but I just assumed it was going to add a killswitch to my biochip, a major plot point in DX1.
Never played DX1.

iavi

I'm almost sure that it's impossible to
save malik
on 'Give me Deus Ex' without killing someone. You're almost forced to use the barrels.
she dies in seconds

Neiteio

How many sidequests are in Hengsha prior to the TYM shuttle? I've done
the one finding the missing hooker, the one with Malik and the murder, and the one with the relays/woman who owes money
. Any more?

kayos90

Solo said:
Meh, I can live with this fact. Still, I wish I could play this game when it first came out. I wanted to know what people thought of it back then and how it changed the industry.

OG Kush

Miri said:
I'm almost sure that it's impossible to
save malik
on 'Give me Deus Ex' without killing someone. You're almost forced to use the barrels.
she dies in seconds
Those are all for now.

Top Bottom