• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

maomaoIYP said:
Yes. You need to be real quick though. And it's extremely tricky if you're going for a pacifist run.

Get that Cloak on, and rush them. Stuff will be blowing left and right but you will still get Ghost.

Yuterald

I just wanted to throw my two cents in regarding the argument between battery life and how it relates to particular augments. A friend and I debated/argued over this for awhile so I just wanted to get some more opinions/thoughts on the issue.

As I was playing through the game I realized how cool the leg augments were and I put all my points into this category. The idea of walking/sprinting up to an enemy from behind and then using a silent take down sounded like the most bad ass thing to me. Now, take downs require a full energy cell to perform. Your battery only regenerates to its default cell. The augment/skill which allows you to silently walk/sprint up to an enemy also drains your cell. So, in this situation, when you get behind someone using this augment you will be unable to take down the enemy unless you pop an energy bar. The idea of this is what kind of bothers me. Someone else on this thread, I believe, described these augments as "mutually exclusive" when I feel they should complement each other.

I understand that the energy bar/supplement items are finite and their purpose is to facilitate the situation I described above. However, I just feel like there should have been an alternative to popping items to perform these actions. Why not offer an augment which allows the player to regenerate up to 2 or more energy cells? I know most would argue the fact that you could just hang around forever, cloak, and take down enemies indefinitely, but why not make the cloak burn cells faster then? If you are trying to finish the game without alarming anyone you would still have to worry about other guards/cameras noticing bodies, etc. I really don't think it would 'break' the game as much as people claim it would. I'm positive there would be ways to re-balance the game around such an idea.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think the game is awesome. No matter how you are playing the game is constantly rewarding and a lot of fun. I just think the skill/augment system needs more options/alternatives and some things need to be re-worked.

WrathOfOtaibah said:
Just beat it:

+Great presentation overall, the visuals, soundtrack, voice acting, art design were top notch.
+Adam Jensen is one of my favorite game protagonists ever.
+I love how it didn't use the generic good/evil for different paths shit and just made it into a different ways of doing the job.
+It was paced perfectly for the 20 hour main game, and the side quests do not negatively affect the flow of the game at all(which is a problem with many games today)
+Stealth gameplay is some of the best out there.
+Interesting world with a good story, characters and a lot to uncover.
+The choices are actually difficult.
+Persuading characters is pretty fun.

-The boss fights are some of the worst in any game out there, broken to the point where you'll get frustrated cause you die all the time and yet when you figure out how to kill the boss it takes less than 20 seconds. The final boss was a complete joke.
-A little too easy at times.
-The AI is pretty stupid.

Overall I'd put it in my top 5 of this generation, can't wait for another one.

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I feel like it's pretty much geared for stealth than all out action because of the dumb one-battery charging and limited bullets. Infiltrating a new location feels awesome.

And yeah, the boss fights are terrible - either lower the damage, or give me some distance from the bosses so that I have some time to figure out what to do instead of dying every 2 seconds after I reload my save. Won't hurt to take some inspiration from Metal Gear boss fights either.

All in all though, a great job of reviving the franchise. Human Revolution actually felt like a remake of Deus Ex because there were so many things that reminded me of the first game, good and bad. Just hope they leave out the bad for the next one.

Yuterald said:
I just wanted to throw my two cents in regarding the argument between battery life and how it relates to particular augments. A friend and I debated/argued over this for awhile so I just wanted to get some more opinions/thoughts on the issue.

As I was playing through the game I realized how cool the leg augments were and I put all my points into this category. The idea of walking/sprinting up to an enemy from behind and then using a silent take down sounded like the most bad ass thing to me. Now, take downs require a full energy cell to perform. Your battery only regenerates to its default cell. The augment/skill which allows you to silently walk/sprint up to an enemy also drains your cell. So, in this situation, when you get behind someone using this augment you will be unable to take down the enemy unless you pop an energy bar. The idea of this is what kind of bothers me. Someone else on this thread, I believe, described these augments as "mutually exclusive" when I feel they should complement each other.

I understand that the energy bar/supplement items are finite and their purpose is to facilitate the situation I described above. However, I just feel like there should have been an alternative to popping items to perform these actions. Why not offer an augment which allows the player to regenerate up to 2 or more energy cells? I know most would argue the fact that you could just hang around forever, cloak, and take down enemies indefinitely, but why not make the cloak burn cells faster then? If you are trying to finish the game without alarming anyone you would still have to worry about other guards/cameras noticing bodies, etc. I really don't think it would 'break' the game as much as people claim it would. I'm positive there would be ways to re-balance the game around such an idea.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think the game is awesome. No matter how you are playing the game is constantly rewarding and a lot of fun. I just think the skill/augment system needs more options/alternatives and some things need to be re-worked.
I'm guessing that Eidos Montreal make a conscious design decision to restrict "free" take-downs after cloaking and/or after sprinting up to someone. What I mean by "free" is possible to do with only one energy cell and not relying on items. I think the game would just be too easy if you could always rely on sprinting up to someone silently and taking them out, just as it would be too easy to crawl up to someone while cloaked and get a takedown.

An augment that allowed 2 cells to recharge would break the game pretty significantly, I think. You could just sprint/takedown or cloak/takedown through the entire game with little to no trouble.

aeolist

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
I'm guessing that Eidos Montreal make a conscious design decision to restrict "free" take-downs after cloaking and/or after sprinting up to someone. What I mean by "free" is possible to do with only one energy cell and not relying on items. I think the game would just be too easy if you could always rely on sprinting up to someone silently and taking them out, just as it would be to easy to crawl up to someone while cloaked and get a takedown.

An augment that allowed 2 cells to recharge would break the game pretty significantly, I think. You could just sprint/takedown or cloak/takedown through the entire game with little to no trouble.
The game could hardly be easier as it is, and Deus Ex 1 had some extremely broken stuff you could do.

The non-recharging batteries just make sure I hardly ever use the cloak/silence/vision augs.

eek5

The_Darkest_Red said:

Sprinting doesn't eat up energy. I think you could just balance cloak/takedown with multiple cells instead. Hell even make stuff like sprinting, breaking falls, etc. take energy to help balance it.

eek5 said:
Sprinting doesn't eat up energy. I think you could just balance cloak/takedown with multiple cells instead. Hell even make stuff like sprinting, breaking falls, etc. take energy to help balance it.
We're talking about sprinting silently.

aeolist said:
The game could hardly be easier as it is, and Deus Ex 1 had some extremely broken stuff you could do.

The non-recharging batteries just make sure I hardly ever use the cloak/silence/vision augs.
You're being so hyperbolic here. Yes, there are very effective strategies that make the game much easier to get through but saying that the game could "hardly be easier" is just a tad short of ridiculous.

Also, if you upgrade the battery duration and the recharge rate the cloak becomes incredibly effective, even if you are always operating with only 1 cell. You use it to get in position invisibly and then wait a short while for it to recharge before going in for the takedown.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
stuminus3 said:
What would be a non-lazy answer? o_O
Well, I'm not saying they're lazy in a bad way. However, the way they answered that makes it seem like they chose to do a prequel because it was TOO HARD to make a sequel to invisible war. Regardless, I'm glad they made it a prequel. It's still a great game.

Yuterald said:

Yep, totally. No idea how though - maybe give us full recharging, just make the extra energy cells really expensive?

Yuterald

The_Darkest_Red said:
I'm guessing that Eidos Montreal make a conscious design decision to restrict "free" take-downs after cloaking and/or after sprinting up to someone. What I mean by "free" is possible to do with only one energy cell and not relying on items. I think the game would just be too easy if you could always rely on sprinting up to someone silently and taking them out, just as it would be to easy to crawl up to someone while cloaked and get a takedown.

I still think there are ways around this. You could have your second cell regenerate much slower than your first cell. Same with the cloak. Just make it burn faster. Also, as I mentioned above, I still think you would have to worry about enemies/cameras patrolling an area and seeing knocked out bodies. Most enemy areas/encounters are pretty dense and populated in this game.

Again, I don't think the game sucks because it doesn't have these options. I'm just kind of questioning the augment system and how everything works in this game.

i-Lo said:
Can you go back and forth between Detroit and Heng Sha on free will later in the game?
Nope.

Yuterald said:
I still think there are ways around this. You could have your second cell regenerate much slower than your first cell. Same with the cloak. Just make it burn faster. Also, as I mentioned above, I still think you would have to worry about enemies/cameras patrolling an area and seeing knocked out bodies. Most enemy areas/encounters are pretty dense and populated in this game.

Again, I don't think the game sucks because it doesn't have these options. I'm just kind of questioning the augment system and how everything works in this game.
I'm sure it's possible to re-balance the game successfully but I personally see no reason for it. All of the decisions regarding augments and energy consumption seem very deliberate and thoughtful to me.

You're right that it wouldn't completely break the game if you could always wait for 2 cells to recharge and rely on a silent sprinting plus takedown combo but it would make things significantly easier, and I would argue too much easier.

I know this has been asked like, a bazillion times but none of the answers help in my situation. :(

Boss 2:

I have Heavy Rife ammo and about 4 shotgun shells, that's it. No 'nades or anything.

Any tips?

eek5

The_Darkest_Red said:
We're talking about sprinting silently.
I see. I still don't see why they couldn't make a compromise. If you could spend 2-3 points on having a 2nd cell recharge you wouldn't be able to upgrade other augs as a result. At the end of the game, you're already crazy OP with the amount of points you get so why not just cut back on points to prevent people from being able to silently do multiple takedowns and if you DO upgrade into that path why shouldn't you be able to feel like a complete badass running around taking people down? I mean is the stun or tranq + cloak any less OP in the current system? You can essentially cloak and stun multiple people which is the same thing as a cloak/takedowns (and even better in some cases)

The way it is now, you end up with so many points that you can upgrade all the AUGs almost and then the game mechanics prohibit you from using them all which is silly. I realize ther are boost bars but those only go so far.

Zenith

Banned
BackwardsSuggestions said:
I know this has been asked like, a bazillion times but none of the answers help in my situation. :(

Boss 2:

I have Heavy Rife ammo and about 4 shotgun shells, that's it. No 'nades or anything.

Any tips?

shoot the
power towers around the edge of the room. They'll turn red and if you shoot them again they'll electrify everything and stun her. Also (as with all the boss fights) there's tons of ammo and weapons lying around.

Boss 2:

Any tips?
There are tons of supplies and weapons in the drawers around the room. Try to grab some of that stuff before you fight back.

Zenith said:
shoot the
power towers around the edge of the room. They'll turn red and if you shoot them again they'll electrify everything and stun her. Also (as with all the boss fights) there's tons of ammo and weapons lying around.

But that just drains all my energy til l have 1-10 left and the boss just blows things up in my face. :(

eek5 said:
I see. I still don't see why they couldn't make a compromise. If you could spend 2-3 points on having a 2nd cell recharge you wouldn't be able to upgrade other augs as a result. At the end of the game, you're already crazy OP with the amount of points you get so why not just cut back on points to prevent people from being able to silently do multiple takedowns and if you DO upgrade into that path why shouldn't you be able to feel like a complete badass running around taking people down? I mean is the stun or tranq + cloak any less OP in the current system? You can essentially cloak and stun multiple people which is the same thing as a cloak/takedowns (and even better in some cases)

The way it is now, you end up with so many points that you can upgrade all the AUGs almost and then the game mechanics prohibit you from using them all which is silly. I realize ther are boost bars but those only go so far.
Like I said, I don't think that the game couldn't be re-balanced in various successful ways but I just don't find it necessary. I like the way things are balanced now and I like how energy is heavily constrained without items because it forces me to think more and be careful about which augs I choose to use in a given situation.

But that just drains all my energy til l have 1-10 left and the boss just blows things up in my face. :(
There are platforms that you can stand on to avoid the electricity.

aeolist

Banned
It seems pretty simple to me, they should have just made the higher level upgrades cost more.

Getting the first aug in a set for 2 points and then the rest for 1 each doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Boss 2:

Any tips?

Lol this reminds me - how about autosaves for the start of every new chapter so that I can restart if I want to? I overwrote on of my saves (PS3) and pretty pissed I couldn't restart a particular chapter.

So no clues on forcing SSAA on ati hardware? I fixed all my DX11 crashing issues (turns out having the asus software that came with the card installed is what was doing it) just want better IQ since even with everything cranked I'm not twitching below 60

aeolist said:
It seems pretty simple to me, they should have just made the higher level upgrades cost more.

Getting the first aug in a set for 2 points and then the rest for 1 each doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Even with the abundance of Praxis points I didn't really feel "overpowered" at the end of the game. I think this is mostly due to the fact that the majority of the augs are fairly passive and don't all contribute towards making the game easier. If anything I would say that I felt diverse and well equipped to handle various types of situations.

EDIT: Except for hacking. Overpowered is an understatement for how awesome of a hacker I was at the end of the game. What am I supposed to do with 35+ nukes?

garath

Yuterald said:

If you invest in the extra battery bars then you can sprint silently, cloak and run up and takedown someone quite easily. You won't be able to do it over and over though without energy bars. Being able to wait out the recharge for more than one battery without consumables would be very very strong.

Where? I've just had another few goes and keep getting destroyed. :( I suck at games.
If you look at the ground you'll notice a gooey, bluish, liquid-like material on most of it. In a few spots (at least one that I can remember) the floor is solid metal. Stand on that/those spots and the electricity won't hurt you.

garath said:
If you invest in the extra battery bars then you can sprint silently, cloak and run up and takedown someone quite easily. You won't be able to do it over and over though without energy bars. Being able to wait out the recharge for more than one battery without consumables would be very very strong.

Late game, I'm having trouble finding energy replenishing consumables, which is really increasing the challenge and my enjoyment. The limited energy is making me really think about how I approach some situations and also making me use a lot of the items I've had stored up in my inventory the whole game (luring enemies into gas mines by firing at the doors their behind ftw).

Also, recently discovered that you can take down cracked walls with a few shots from the revolver w/explosive ammo.

MrCompletely said:
Late game, I'm having trouble finding energy replenishing consumables, which is really increasing the challenge and my enjoyment. The limited energy is making me really think about how I approach some situations and also making me use a lot of the items I've had stored up in my inventory the whole game (gas mines FTW!)
I don't think I used more than 10 battery recharging items in the entire game. I just got so used to operating with one that I didn't even need them. The only time I used them was when I really needed another takedown fast or I needed to stay cloaked for a long time (maybe once).

Atruvius

Just finished, and man, this is my goty this far.
End boss was confusing. I pressed some buttons and hacked a keypad. Something started happening. Crazies showed + some bots. I hear voices speaking but explosions garble it. And then it ends. I don't know what I did to beat the boss but I'm glad I got over it with zero deaths.

Ending was great. I spent several thinking with which one I should side with. At first I wanted to be truthful about what happened, about the Illuminati and everything. I pressed the button and Eliza said that humans will stop pursuing technological advances. I didn't want that so I pressed Sarif's button. I liked that none of the options were black and white, everything had its pros & cons.

Now I'll start a new playthrough on hard with zero alarms and kills. Gotta get dem trophies.

pahamrick

Decided to do a Terminator style run, and I'm using a script for cheat engine to cause all energy bars to recharge. Lethal take downs galore. Mouth off to Jensen? Blade through the chest.

Feels good man.

Kyoufu

Never played Deus Ex back in the day but F it, just ordered the Augmented Edition. I would love an FPS RPG but this doesn't really look like much of an "RPG" from what I've seen of it. Hope I'm wrong...

Atruvius said:
Just finished, and man, this is my goty this far.
End boss was confusing. I pressed some buttons and hacked a keypad. Something started happening. Crazies showed + some bots. I hear voices speaking but explosions garble it. And then it ends. I don't know what I did to beat the boss but I'm glad I got over it with zero deaths.

Ending was great. I spent several thinking with which one I should side with. At first I wanted to be truthful about what happened, about the Illuminati and everything. I pressed the button and Eliza said that humans will stop pursuing technological advances. I didn't want that so I pressed Sarif's button. I liked that none of the options were black and white, everything had its pros & cons.

Now I'll start a new playthrough on hard with zero alarms and kills. Gotta get dem trophies.
I'm right there with you, man, I had no idea what was going on during that final boss fight. I just hacked stuff and pushed buttons until I got a chance to shoot Zhao with a plasma rifle. Worked for me!

I watched all four endings and Sarif's was definitely my least favorite. My favorite ended up being the first one I chose, the suicide choice. It was followed by a very convincing and democratic monologue.

Kyoufu said:
Never played Deus Ex back in the day but F it, just ordered the Augmented Edition. I would love an FPS RPG but this doesn't really look like much of an "RPG" from what I've seen of it. Hope I'm wrong...
It is very much an RPG.

aeolist

Banned
pahamrick said:
Decided to do a Terminator style run, and I'm using a script for cheat engine to cause all energy bars to recharge. Lethal take downs galore. Mouth off to Jensen? Blade through the chest.

Feels good man.
How did you do this exactly?

Actually, I'm going to be honest, (end game spoiler)
I really don't understand what the Hyron Project is. Either it wasn't explained very well or I just missed it, I'm not sure which. I could try to describe what I think I know but that would probably make me look even more dense. Can anyone help me out?

The_Darkest_Red said:
I really don't understand what the Hyron Project is. Either it wasn't explained very well or I just missed it, I'm not sure which. I could try to describe what I think I know but that would probably make me look even more dense. Can anyone help me out?
Did you do Darrow's side quest?

The_Darkest_Red said:

I think the project is a huge super computer, that is controlled by the human brain(s). It's also tied to everybodies biochip because Zhao attempts to control it.

It's not particularly explicit or expanded upon, which annoyed me a bit.

darkpaladinmfc said:
Did you do Darrow's side quest?
I did but I didn't get any information out of the woman I brought the chip back to because I didn't have the social augment.
I wanted all of my social battles to be "pure" on my first run-through.

33-hit-combo said:
I think the project is a huge super computer, that is controlled by the human brain(s). It's also tied to everybodies biochip because Zhao attempts to control it.
Who is the woman in the machine?

The_Darkest_Red said:

Panchea was supposed to stop Global Warming by injecting iron into the planet's crust. Hydron Project manages that. Because the "hole" runs pretty deep, there are mili-second fluctuations in sea pressure, which can destroy the facility. Because of that the project needs to be managed by human, not A.I., hence these girls.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Who is the woman in the machine?

It's not explained. Also it's 3 women, right? I don't know why they'd wanna strap up like that anyway, looks fairly full-time.

EDIT: I also thought that Panchea was just a front to store the project. It may have solved global warming anyway, but that probably was just a convenient excuse to operate ina remote location.

Marco1

Just finished this and all I can say is, I am glad the studio expanded.
What a wonderful game and I so happy it didn't get lost amongst all the big hitters this Autumn/Winter.
Will be re-playing this next year and the one after that.

33-Hit-Combo said:
EDIT: I also thought that Panchea was just a front to store the project. It may have solved global warming anyway, but that probably was just a convenient excuse to operate ina remote location.
I definitely think you're right about this.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I definitely think you're right about this.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it does also function as advertised, because
Darrow's dialogue options paints him as somebody who does not want to be forgotten, and needs to remind people how important he is to mankind.

Top Bottom