• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Kaldea

I absolutely love this game. Finished my first play through and I want to get started on a second. I'd love to try no kills/alarms, but it just seems so intimidating.

zethren

Banned
In Hengsha for the first time, and having some issues with a hacking terminal in one of the side quests:

It's the quest for the bar tender in the Hive where I have to hack 3 terminals to allow him to track down Jaya. I've hacked 2 terminals thus far, but the 3rd one is giving me issues. It's the terminal closest to the alley way filled with officers (the blocked off apartment building from the first main quest of the Hengsha questline).

I guess I'm just not hacking it fast enough, but the detection alarm is super fast on this one it seems. I've only upgraded my hacking to level 2, which should suffice seeing as how this is only a level 2 terminal. Any tips? :/

Just finished the first boss. So excited. Stealth build pacifist characters do so well against bosses.

I'm having Alpha Protocol flashbacks oh god.

Of course, my stealth build isn't as tight as it could be, so that could be a problem, but it's alright. Beat it after a few trial and errors. Really enjoying the game. Definitely in my top three of this year.

_Xenon_

Banned
Does
saving Malik
affect the foxiest of hounds achievement? I don't care about killing though since I've already screwed it in the tutorial level.

zethren

Banned
HeadlessRoland said:
You can "take over" multiple nodes at one time. You can also just hack the red ICE deals if its not enclosed in one way paths.

Yeah, the ICE was isolated behind a closed circuit.

Just hacked it successfully. I knew I could take over multiple nodes at once, but I guess I just wasn't doing it quickly enough. Thanks for the tips though :)

zethren said:
In Hengsha for the first time, and having some issues with a hacking terminal in one of the side quests:

It's the quest for the bar tender in the Hive where I have to hack 3 terminals to allow him to track down Jaya. I've hacked 2 terminals thus far, but the 3rd one is giving me issues. It's the terminal closest to the alley way filled with officers (the blocked off apartment building from the first main quest of the Hengsha questline).

I guess I'm just not hacking it fast enough, but the detection alarm is super fast on this one it seems. I've only upgraded my hacking to level 2, which should suffice seeing as how this is only a level 2 terminal. Any tips? :/

dude u dont just upgrade the hacking level, upgrade the one on the right which decreases the % of you being caught. by the time i got to that terminal i had 3/3 that hacking stealth so i RARELY get caught if ever.

_Xenon_ said:
Does
saving Malik
affect the foxiest of hounds achievement? I don't care about killing though since I've already screwed it in the tutorial level.

No, it does not. The achievement is only failed if the Alarm system gets triggered.

when upgrading weapons (ive got pistol and shotgun fully upgraded - all three slots)

how can i change upgrades? how do you know which upgrade ur replacing?

like i think i have burst rounds, extended clip and faster reload on the shotgun - if i found a new upgrade (more power or something) how can i change ONE of those? its not very clear

Hearing so many good things about this game, but I'm hesitant to pick it up as it sounds reminiscent of Splinter Cell and MGS, both games which I'm not a huge fan of... The Amazon $35 PC download deal is tempting though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
mikekennyb said:
Hearing so many good things about this game, but I'm hesitant to pick it up as it sounds reminiscent of Splinter Cell and MGS, both games which I'm not a huge fan of... The Amazon $35 PC download deal is tempting though.

don't pick it up

Phat Michael said:
when upgrading weapons (ive got pistol and shotgun fully upgraded - all three slots)

like i think i have burst rounds, extended clip and faster reload on the shotgun - if i found a new upgrade (more power or something) how can i change ONE of those? its not very clear
those upgrades increase the weapon stats
738px-Widowmaker_Shotgun.jpg

mikekennyb said:

It can be played as a cover shooter. You are a badass in this game, stealth isnt mandatory, but it is rewarded.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Started up my no-kill, no alarm playthrough on hard tonight. Just exploring more of the levels this time, they're so well done.

Question, does killing robots count against the Pacifist achievements?

malfcn

Still sitting at 13 points and 32k+ in credits..only spent 2 points. (And didn't buy any Praxis)..

I have such a hard time picking a path. I want to do a stealth run next time, but for some reason don't want to arm up.

mikekennyb said:
How would you like to play it?

Phat Michael said:

Upgrades don't get replaced. Examine a weapon to see what upgrades you have installed. Every weapon can have its capacity, reload, damage, and rate of fire upgraded multiple times. Things like silencers and laser sights can only be placed on certain weapons, and they'll tell you in the upgrade description when you examine them. The three slots next to a weapons picture are for these special upgrades. Some can only have one special upgrade like the shotgun's burst fire.

malfcn

_tetsuo_ said:
Praxis kits

That's all it is worth. But I just bought a few Praxis kits and still have 22,000 credits left. Looting everything racks up more than you could ever need (at least for me so far). Don't have to buy anything, since there is plenty of ammo (knock-out and loot).

jackdoe

Haha. The second boss was such a cakewalk. Got caught on geometry, though I wasted two EMP grenades before I realized the boss couldn't do anything.

Hellsing321 said:
Upgrades don't get replaced. Examine a weapon to see what upgrades you have installed. Every weapon can have its capacity, reload, damage, and rate of fire upgraded multiple times. Things like silencers and laser sights can only be placed on certain weapons, and they'll tell you in the upgrade description when you examine them. The three slots next to a weapons picture are for these special upgrades. Some can only have one special upgrade like the shotgun's burst fire.

ok thanks man thats more clear. cheers

maomaoIYP

malfcn said:
That's all it is worth. But I just bought a few Praxis kits and still have 22,000 credits left. Looting everything racks up more than you could ever need (at least for me so far). Don't have to buy anything, since there is plenty of ammo (knock-out and loot).

I loot whored, sold every individual weapon separately, never bought anything other than praxis kits and ended my first playthrough with over 50K left over =(.

_Xenon_

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
No, it does not. The achievement is only failed if the Alarm system gets triggered.
Woot that's good. I felt really shitty when her last message passed over while I was busy slipping away. Thanks.

Aselith

ThoseDeafMutes said:
How does the weapon upgrade achieve work? How many upgrades can my 10mm take?

Best thing to do to get that is put three reload speed upgrades on the tranq dart gun and it will be fully upgraded.

sniper fully upgraded, shoots heavy machinegunners to the head, BOOM HEADSHOT!
pistol fully upgraded, shoots heavy machinegunners to the head, ALARM!!!
makes me wonder if armor penetration really works after all?

Fox1304

So ... I'm about to start the game, and kinda hesitate for the difficulty setting.
I don't have much time to game those days, and wouldn't like to be frustrated by having to redo a mission about 10 times.
But I don't want to miss the depth of the game either.
So, I was going for the Medium setting, but seeing various frustrated players on bosses or else, I'd like to know if that's the right setting for me.
Waddya think gaf ?

Angst

Fox1304 said:
So ... I'm about to start the game, and kinda hesitate for the difficulty setting.
I don't have much time to game those days, and wouldn't like to be frustrated by having to redo a mission about 10 times.
But I don't want to miss the depth of the game either.
So, I was going for the Medium setting, but seeing various frustrated players on bosses or else, I'd like to know if that's the right setting for me.
Waddya think gaf ?
I would recommend medium for you. You can always change the difficulty whenever you want as long as you don't care about achievements.

The way the game is designed difficulty level doesn't make a huge impact. You wont be shot if you don't want to be, and the same stuff dies in one headshot. I don't believe it changes anything beyond hps/dmg of the uber stupid mobs.

Nugg

Angst said:
You can always change the difficulty whenever you want as long as you don't care about achievements.
That's why I would recommend Hard. You should try to shoot for the hardest challenge the game can offer, and switch when (or if) it becomes frustrating

Kind of starting to burn out. This game just. won't. end. I'm at
Singapore
and almost ready to forget my sneaking ways and murder everything that gets in my way to make some parts move faster.

This looks like an FPS but it has RPG length, and that is confusing my brain.

What I love about this game though is that I literally cannot imagine myself getting through some situations I've been in without the cloak. There are loads of people who have finished the game without even touching the cloak button, and that is amazing.

Ladyboy101 said:
sniper fully upgraded, shoots heavy machinegunners to the head, BOOM HEADSHOT!
pistol fully upgraded, shoots heavy machinegunners to the head, ALARM!!!
makes me wonder if armor penetration really works after all?

I am 99% sure that not all heavy machine gunners are the same. Some would take one head-shot with the pistol and others 2 and while I am not certainly I think a few took 3. Either way only takes .1 second to put a second round to the dome.

Kind of starting to burn out. This game just. won't. end. I'm at Singapore and almost ready to forget my sneaking ways and murder everything that gets in my way to make some parts move faster.

Happened to me as well. After I realized I was at no point in any real danger and didn't have to adapt to anything that I had not experienced in the first hour.

Wallach

The_Inquisitor said:
Game is getting fucking better and better. Holy shit it has completely blown away all my expectations.

It really is fantastic. Easily my top game this year so far, and I think only Skyrim has a chance of knocking it out of that spot.

I'm not quite done yet at 39 hours in, and I'm already planning my next run. Though next time I am certainly going to be doing things differently with a priority on speed.

itxaka

Defeatist
SenseiJinx said:
So have been finally playing this afternoon. Wasn't too excited about the
hostage level until the Zeke Sanders confrontation. I didn't like the fact that I was basically running through the exact same room about 4 times.

I thought the Zeke Sanders confrontation was masterfully done. THIS is the Deus Ex I remember. An ambiguous situation without a particularly clear answer, with potential ramifications for future story points? Loved it. Reloaded several times until I got Sanders to let her go. There was at least three possible outcomes, you let him go and the cops kill him and the girl dies. You fight him and kill him, or you talk him into letting her go. And I'm assuming each one has at least somewhat of an impact on things that happen later in the game -- even if it's no more than a passing mention, it's cool nonetheless.

I convinced him that he was being played by someone so he leaved. He appears later to help you with some info and some codes :D

itxaka said:
I convinced him that he was being played by someone so he leaved. He appears later to help you with some info and some codes :D
you can also stun him and he is taken into custody.
just did this for my second playthrough so I'm excited to see the consequences of doing so.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Zenith said:
Ugh, there's a stun gun and explosives in the same damn room as you, you whiner.

people won't bother. Tunnel vision - you see a threat, you fight it.

Ventilaator said:
What I love about this game though is that I literally cannot imagine myself getting through some situations I've been in without the cloak. There are loads of people who have finished the game without even touching the cloak button, and that is amazing.

i havent used the cloak yet (havent bought the upgrade) is it worth it?

Jintor

Zenith said:
Ugh, there's a stun gun and explosives in the same damn room as you, you whiner.

If you don't run like a motherfucker immediately you die. The point being made is not that you're incapable of defeating him, it's that you've played through stealthily and hackily and suddenly those skills are no longer applicable to the situation at hand - it's fight or nothing.

people won't bother. Tunnel vision - you see a threat, you fight it.

Or you hack it or you stealth pas- wait...

Top Bottom