• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Ok so I only just started playing yesterday and right at the start
in the ofice I just started reading emails, messing around talking to people and that and then BANG, Sarif is on at me about f*cking around too much and now hostages are dead. Goddamn I felt so guilty. I love this game :p

It's not even my first Deus Ex game so I should've seen it coming. I know it's only a small thing but seriously this game is so awesome.

garath said:
That may happen if you go via the door. I went through the vent to the hostage room and was able to rescue them. No one died in my playthrough. I'm a fucking saint

yeah that's the funny thing about what the wiki told me about it,
i never saw a bomb room either. it says that greg is in the room with the hostages and a bomb. i don't remember there ever being a bomb to begin with, or a room that had multiple hostages. all i found was individual hostages in individual rooms. they would get shot before i even got close enough to the door to open it. so maybe it IS scripted, but if you use vents the script says not to let the guards
get bored and trigger happy?

Zeliard

ThoseDeafMutes said:
How does the weapon upgrade achieve work? How many upgrades can my 10mm take?

738px-Widowmaker_Shotgun.jpg

Look at the shotgun's stats, for example. The bolded yellow are the stats you currently have upgraded. The faded yellow are the limit you can upgrade to. Once you hit the grey, it's fully upgraded for that particular category. So the shotgun's damage output can be upgraded to the full maximum.

The add-on upgrades are different. Everyone weapon will have silencer and laser sight on the top left represented by the first two boxes - and they will be crossed out if that weapon can't use them like with the shotgun - plus another "special" mod that each weapon has (which some weapons also share, i.e. the curved bullets for the combat rifle and machine pistol). The special mod for the 10mm is armor-piercing, for the shotgun it's burst fire, revolver it's explosive rounds, etc.

Nose Master

So, I've gathered from reading the thread that you can miss out on some sidequests.

Spoilers regarding a certain eyepatch wearing individual:
I saved the hostages, but the woman died and I didn't feel like reloading. That quest is gone forever, right? I did the one for the hooker and the one for Megan's mom. What's the other one in Detroit?

I just posted this in the HR story thread but it took me so long to write that I thought I might as well put it here also. Do NOT read this if you haven't finished the game, obviously.

My take on the endings:

Sarif's: I thought the ending that Sarif suggested was by far the worst of the four. A terrible disaster has just occurred due to augments and the control they allow evil people to have over others and Sarif wants to continue down that path full steam ahead. How is this a good idea? If the augmentation business continues with absolutely no regulation you are practically sending out an invitation to every crazy, maniacal, power-hungry person in the world to start their own business and find a way to manufacture people however they see fit. How can leaders of the world (of countries or corporations) resist using augments in an unethical manner to allow them the upper hand when there is no one watching them at all? This ending is an unethical means being used to justify an unethical (and, quite frankly, ridiculously idealistic and unrealistically utopian) end.

Taggart's: Once again, this is another somewhat unethical ending choice because you are telling a bold-faced lie to the people of the world and assuming that you are intelligent enough to understand that this is what's best for them. I think Taggart's goal appears somewhat noble at first glance (regulating augmentation) but the way he attempts to accomplish it reeks of arrogance and elitism. The whole, "let the wise people make the decisions" idea seems very tyrannical and arbitrary to me. Who are these "wise people"? Who decides that they are the ones who are smart enough to regulate the entire population of the world from the shadows, a location that conveniently excludes them of accountability? Obviously this is simply a set-up for the rich and powerful to rule over the general populous. To me this ending would only lead to the same result as Sarif's, too much control in the hands of too few people, a scenario that allows and invites rampant evil and misuse of power.

Darrow's: Here's where things start to get kind of tricky. I had a hard time choosing between Darrow's choice and the suicide choice because they both seemed like decent enough options to me that were flawed in some way. On the one hand, telling the world exactly what happened and allowing them to sift through the information and arrive at their own conclusions seems like a good idea. On the other hand, you are still presenting one (crazy) man's view of the situation, and it's a view that will greatly impact the future of augmentation, perhaps in an unfairly negative way. Yes, augmentation opens up the potential for crazy dictatorial leaders to control and create people in unethical and immoral ways but is getting rid of it completely throwing the baby out with the bath water? I would say yes, and that's why I chose:

The suicide choice: After much deliberation this option seemed like the most logical one to me. First of all, on a note unrelated to which option is "best" for humanity, I liked the idea of Panchea disappearing in a mysterious way, along with the disappearance of Taggart, Sarif, and Darrow. The potential intrigue associated this choice was very attractive to me, and it took some thinking for me to separate this initial impulse from the logic associated with this and the other decisions.

Anyway, I think this is also the best solution from a logical standpoint because it allows augmentation to continue forward without any input from these men under the belief that humanity as a whole will eventually arrive at the destination that is best suited for them. A bit idealistic, sure, but it's not near as crazy of a stretch as the first two choices (Sarif's and Taggart's). Also, after the incident caused by Darrow I found it logically sound to conclude that humanity will rethink how augmentation is handled by the various corporations and countries of the world, and it will cause them to carry on in a less care-free way that focuses more on accountability. As Darrow said, this is the wake-up call that humanity needed, and now they know that augmentation can have potentially devastating consequences if it isn't kept in check by un-biased, outside sources. The thing is, I didn't find it fair for humanity to be told this from the mouth of one man, as that sort of bias could otherwise skew the conclusions that they would draw from the incident that occurred at Panchea.

To me this choice was the democratic solution to the problem because it assumed that humanity would eventually weigh the pros and cons of each view of the three main players and arrive somewhere in the middle --- namely a world where augmentations exist to better humanity but not to harm it.

Heng Sha is unbelievable. Best hub world ever in any game. My upgraded Machine Pistol is pretty crazy too:

.silencer
.laser targeting system (not the regular laser, but the exclusive one for this SMG and combat rifle that curves the bullets by holding X)
.one ammo capacity upgrade
.one damage upgrade

I like it better than the 10 mm! The sound effects and feel of the gun are fantastic. Lots of ammo in Heng Sha as well

stuminus3

Small observation I haven't seen anyone else mention (so it may just be me) but one of the reasons the devs have given to making this a prequel instead of a sequel was that they didn't want to be too futuristic with it, to make it a bit more "real world" than Invisible War. But... Human Revolution is way futuristic. Am I expected to believe that the world is going to change so much in just 15-ish years? I mean look at Hengsha. That shit is crazy. It doesn't seem all that less futuristic than Invisible War to me, other than there's no Omar. The concept of the entire world being so futuristic in less than a couple of decades because of augs doesn't make sense either, considering the theme of the game.

stuminus3 said:
Small observation I haven't seen anyone else mention (so it may just be me) but one of the reasons the devs have given to making this a prequel instead of a sequel was that they didn't want to be too futuristic with it, to make it a bit more "real world" than Invisible War. But... Human Revolution is way futuristic. Am I expected to believe that the world is going to change so much in just 15-ish years? I mean look at Hengsha. That shit is crazy. It doesn't seem all that less futuristic than Invisible War to me, other than there's no Omar. The concept of the entire world being so futuristic in less than a couple of decades because of augs doesn't make sense either, considering the theme of the game.

Are you kidding? 15 years ago the Internet was barely there, your PC had 2MB of RAM, your mobile phone was the size of a suitcase.

Hengsha is simply impractical, that's videogame talking. Everything else - sure,why not?

stuminus3

Castor Krieg said:
Are you kidding? 15 years ago the Internet was barely there, your PC had 2MB of RAM, your mobile phone was the size of a suitcase.

Hengsha is simply impractical, that's videogame talking. Everything else - sure,why not?
These things already existed 15 years ago though, albeit in slower/larger form. It's not a huge leap from then to now (I'd have gone for affordable wifi networks as an example of something that's changed the world in 15 years). Human Revolution has crazy cloaking devices and machine guns that fire bullets around corners and dudes that can jump down hundreds of feet with magic parachutes that appear out of nowhere. I think you're gonna be bitterly disappointed come 2027...

stuminus3 said:
These things already existed 15 years ago though, albeit in slower/larger form. It's not a huge leap from then to now (I'd have gone for affordable wifi networks as an example of something that's changed the world in 15 years). Human Revolution has crazy cloaking devices and machine guns that fire bullets around corners and dudes that can jump down hundreds of feet with magic parachutes that appear out of nowhere. I think you're gonna be bitterly disappointed come 2027...
I wouldn't be surprised if all of that stuff already existed and we just didn't know about it.

stuminus3 said:

there's a LOT of additional fiction written into the backstory of the setting. financial collapses, war, political issues, etc. etc. that transformed the world into what it is in the game. it's not *just* augs that cause it all to be that way.

as far as DX1 and DX2 seeming less futuristic, the devs said that there were some collapses and crazy shit that went down, and mechanical mods became less popular because nano augs (tiny robots in your blood) rise to become the preferred method. things become pretty grim around the time of DX1 it seems. not too hard to imagine considering how the world has always gone back and forth with those renaissance eras and dark eras.

stuminus3

The_Darkest_Red said:
I wouldn't be surprised if all of that stuff already existed and we just didn't know about it.
Well, yeah. But I don't think the Illuminati are handing it over to us regular Joes any time soon. O.O

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
there's a LOT of additional fiction written into the backstory of the setting. financial collapses, war, political issues, etc. etc. that transformed the world into what it is in the game. it's not *just* augs that cause it all to be that way.
I guess, it's just odd that the devs would go on record that they wanted to make Human Revolution a bit more real world-ish like Deus Ex was, then go all out with some absolutely bat shit crazy sci fi, regardless of the fiction written to explain it.

Man i feel like an idiot, all this time i was wondering why it was so damn hard to hack level 3 terminals even though i had max hack stealth upgrades and then i read today that if you fortify your node it instantly alerts them.

I was stupidly fortifying my first node everytime to ensure i had some protection and BAM straight away i would be frantically trying to outbeat the computer. Should be much easier now if i dont fortify my nodes.

Thank god i am still only in detroit so plenty more hacking to come.

Evlar

Banned
Can I just say that Redbox game rentals are fantastic at times like this? Because, at times like this, they are fantastic.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
AusRoachman said:
Man i feel like an idiot, all this time i was wondering why it was so damn hard to hack level 3 terminals even though i had max hack stealth upgrades and then i read today that if you fortify your node it instantly alerts them.

I was stupidly fortifying my first node everytime to ensure i had some protection and BAM straight away i would be frantically trying to outbeat the computer. Should be much easier now if i dont fortify my nodes.

Thank god i am still only in detroit so plenty more hacking to come.

Fortify doesn't automatically trigger the alarm. It has a percent chance just like hacking.

Zaptruder

Banned
stuminus3 said:

Look at it another way... a lot of our 2027 tech won't be present in HR either.

I mean, we're very likely going to have wearable displays that provide us with all the augmented functions that Adam's visor gives him. And it's probably going to be way more advanced. We'll also have better wifi connections (DIDO wireless) - so you don't need to install neural augmentations (which was a throw away comment from one of the guys standing around the police station in detroit).

We'll also have things like self driving cars - no confirmation on whether or not the cars in HR were self driving (as you couldn't drive them).

stuminus3 said:
I guess, it's just odd that the devs would go on record that they wanted to make Human Revolution a bit more real world-ish like Deus Ex was, then go all out with some absolutely bat shit crazy sci fi, regardless of the fiction written to explain it.

yeah. i think they should have gone into detail as to what they meant when they said that. i don't think the visual style and technology in the game are what they were talking about. maybe story, or the dialog of NPC's, or the world-issues, etc.

yeah i used to fortify at first too and then i realized it was always alerting. i pretty much haul ass toward the little cubes and as soon as im about to click on it i will use a stop, grab it, and then haul ass to get the end node. sometimes i end up wasting a stop because it was simpler than i assumed, despite being a higher level terminal.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I just posted this in the HR story thread but it took me so long to write that I thought I might as well put it here also. Do NOT read this if you haven't finished the game, obviously.

My take on the endings:

The suicide choice: After much deliberation this option seemed like the most logical one to me. First of all, on a note unrelated to which option is "best" for humanity, I liked the idea of Panchea disappearing in a mysterious way, along with the disappearance of Taggart, Sarif, and Darrow. The potential intrigue associated this choice was very attractive to me, and it took some thinking for me to separate this initial impulse from the logic associated with this and the other decisions.

Anyway, I think this is also the best solution from a logical standpoint because it allows augmentation to continue forward without any input from these men under the belief that humanity as a whole will eventually arrive at the destination that is best suited for them. A bit idealistic, sure, but it's not near as crazy of a stretch as the first two choices (Sarif's and Taggart's). Also, after the incident caused by Darrow I found it logically sound to conclude that humanity will rethink how augmentation is handled by the various corporations and countries of the world, and it will cause them to carry on in a less care-free way that focuses more on accountability. As Darrow said, this is the wake-up call that humanity needed, and now they know that augmentation can have potentially devastating consequences if it isn't kept in check by un-biased, outside sources. The thing is, I didn't find it fair for humanity to be told this from the mouth of one man, as that sort of bias could otherwise skew the conclusions that they would draw from the incident that occurred at Panchea.

To me this choice was the democratic solution to the problem because it assumed that humanity would eventually weigh the pros and cons of each view of the three main players and arrive somewhere in the middle --- namely a world where augmentations exist to better humanity but not to harm it.

I choose darrow because at least the average person would be informed and have a choice. The suicide option only opens the path for the Illuminati to control things. Given that they can operate without restraint as long as no one know they are there.

Jintor

stuminus3 said:

Aug tech is existant but infantile - DARPA's mechanical limbs aren't yet at the equivilent stage of a human one, let alone more powerful, etc. Neural augmentation stuff is similarly slow, but it exists. The world actually already has sentry turret tech, for example, I think there's a couple on the Israeli border and in the DMZ in Korea, while auto-anti-missile turrets exist on most US navy ships. But really, it's all about breakthrough technology. Something might just trigger a spark...

Zeliard

as far as DX1 and DX2 seeming less futuristic, the devs said that there were some collapses and crazy shit that went down, and mechanical mods became less popular because nano augs (tiny robots in your blood) rise to become the preferred method. things become pretty grim around the time of DX1 it seems. not too hard to imagine considering how the world has always gone back and forth with those renaissance eras and dark eras.

The single biggest difference between HR and the sequels is that it's all about mechanical augmentations. By the time of DX they start to become progressively less popular with the advent of nano-augmentations, though several characters still had them since nano-augs
kill you if you aren't compatible with them
. I know some people find it odd that Deus Ex takes place in "the future" because HR is so much more visually detailed, but the technological upgrade to nano-augs works well enough to mitigate that issue for me. By the time of Invisible War, mechanical augs are totally obsolete.

I think the next Eidos DX game's theme could surround the controversy between going from mechanical to nano-augs and introduce more class warfare there, since this one was largely about augmenting oneself in the first place. There was also a different style of augs which served as an intermediary between the mech and nano-augs, and also what the
Majestic 12 and Illuminati
were all about, but those were basically secretly produced augs as I recall. It's possible the game could still largely focus on mech augs and introduce nano-augs towards the end with
Paul Denton, since he was the first
. Haven't beaten HR yet but I assume the ending(s) give an indication of where the story is headed.

maomaoIYP

Otheradam said:
I think it's 100% trigger rate unless you put points into certain hacking augs,

No it's not, it depends on the strength of the node. But fortify tends to have a higher detection percentage than capture.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Otheradam said:
I think it's 100% trigger rate unless you put points into certain hacking augs,
It's just a much higher detection rate than simple capturing. I think fortifying a low level node was something like a 60% detection chance for me, so I only fortify stuff if I get caught.

yeah i was thinking the same thing. that will probably be what they next game is, but after that they don't really have anywhere to go but to have either a side story to DX1 (or around that time, before or after) or to 'reimagine' DX1. :\

staticneuron said:
I choose darrow because at least the average person would be informed and have a choice. The suicide option only opens the path for the Illuminati to control things. Given that they can operate without restraint as long as no one know they are there.
I see what you're saying, and I think that's the second best option, but I still feel like it's an overly biased choice. The average person is still going to be informed of the dangers of augmentation because of the Darrow incident, and I don't think they need to understand every detail to comprehend the fact that there are dangers associated with unregulated augmentation. The thing that scares me about the Darrow ending is the idea that augmentation should be done away with entirely, which doesn't seem smart because it would still carry on illegally and allow people who thought they were above the law to have power over everyone else through augmentations.

The thing about it is, as I've said in the spoiler thread, there is really no good option. Knowing that the Illuminati will continue to control things regardless of your choice here means that you can spin any ending in a negative light. With that in mind I tried to pick the best one given the crappy circumstances.

ironcreed

Banned
Enco said:
Heavy rifle was useless against her. Utterly useless. Shotgun from the lockers worked great.

This is the only game where I've aimed to explore as much as possible. The only other game that came close is Fallout NV.

The Heavy Rifle is what I used to beat her. I simply rope a doped her every time she charged at me by circle-strafing far enough away to avoid damage and unloaded on her after she did her attack. Then chased after her when she cloaked and ran away to recharge, shot her more, rinsed and repeated until she died. Easy peasy

Sullichin

ironcreed said:
The Heavy Rifle is what I used to beat her. I simply rope a doped her every time she charged at me by circle-strafing far enough away to avoid damage and unloaded on her after she did her attack. Then chased after her when she cloaked and ran away to recharge, shot her more, rinsed and repeated until she died. Easy peasy

I had a similar strategy + used the EMP mines in the lockers. You can also manage to unload nearly a whole heavy rifle magazine into her as she's charging you for the first time.

Does anyone have a link to a good site that shows you all the side missions and where to start them? I must have missed one or two. Thanks.

ironcreed

Banned
Sullichin said:
I had a similar strategy + used the EMP mines in the lockers. You can also manage to unload nearly a whole heavy rifle magazine into her as she's charging you for the first time.

You know, I am not getting all of the complaints about boss battle difficulty here. Sure, you can die quickly, but it does not take long to figure out how to kill them rather quickly as well. I mean, it is not like this is Ninja Gaiden or anything, lol.

Zeliard

yeah i was thinking the same thing. that will probably be what they next game is, but after that they don't really have anywhere to go but to have either a side story to DX1 (or around that time, before or after) or to 'reimagine' DX1. :\

Yeah it's going to be really interesting. I mean, depending on what they do with timespan it's possible they could have more than one game between HR and DX1, but the difficulty will be in making things fresh and interesting. HR works beautifully because it's largely an entirely new story set in the same universe, while leading up to something already set in stone. Invisible War would have worked if it didn't suck, but that game also advanced time by something like 20 years, similar to how HR went back in time 25 years.

So to have these smaller increments of time between DX games is gonna be tricky when it comes to making things interesting and "new," and offering some different thematic elements (or at least putting them in a new light).

ironcreed said:
You know, I am not getting all of the complaints about boss battle difficulty here. Sure, you can die quickly, but it does not take long to figure out how to kill them rather quickly as well. I mean, it is not like this is Ninja Gaiden or anything, lol.
I think it's probably because a lot of people who are really into RPG's are buying this game and they aren't used to fast-paced, action game type battles.

But yeah, I completely agree with you.

ironcreed

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
I think it's probably because a lot of people who are really into RPG's are buying this game and they aren't used to fast-paced, action game type battles.

Could be for some, but that is not the case with me. What attracted me to this game was it's role playing elements, but I am always down for a good boss fight as well. Anyway, as great as the game on the whole is, these boss battles really are nothing to write home about at all. Getting revenge is nice, though.

i-Lo

So I am about to go the
medical tower belonging to the chinese competitor
and I am at the train station. Before I board the train for what may might as well be a one way trip I wanted to know if I have missed any side quests. So far I have done these (note: The spoiler description aren't exactly too spoiler-iffic except number one from detroit):

Helping the lady of the oldest profession
Helping Malik get justice
Helping Bar tender with the tab

Also in detroit, I did the following side quests:

Saving the manager from Zeke
Brought peace of mind to Reid's mother
Where I had to save my co-worker's ass because he was feeling philanthropic

So did I miss any more in Detroit and am I missing any more from the first part of Heng sha?

Akuun

I finished the
third
boss battle yesterday, and the fight was somewhat disappointing to me.

Used typhoon: WRECKED the guy.
Used newly found laser rifle: beamed the guy forever and he wouldn't die. Eventually died myself.
Used explosive revolver that I had with me since very early in the game: Took him down without much trouble.

tl;dr: I'm disappointed at how the laser rifle sucked when compared to the revolver.

i-Lo

malfcn said:
Cameras can be suspicious, but not alarmed for cheevo, right?

Afaik, yes.

Also, an enemy can even go into a state of "Hostile" and you can still save it from ruining the foxy streak if you take care of him before he can "Alert and call in back up".

malfcn said:
Cameras can be suspicious, but not alarmed for cheevo, right?
I would definitely guess so. In any missions where you can set off an alarm you should check at the end of the mission to make sure you get the "smooth operator" experience bonus.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Akuun said:
I finished the
third
boss battle yesterday, and the fight was somewhat disappointing to me.

Used typhoon: WRECKED the guy.
Used newly found laser rifle: beamed the guy forever and he wouldn't die. Eventually died myself.
Used explosive revolver that I had with me since very early in the game: Took him down without much trouble.

tl;dr: I'm disappointed at how the laser rifle sucked when compared to the revolver.
Don't toss away the laser rifle. It will become insanely useful at the end of the game.

Varna

The_Darkest_Red said:

Personally I just found them to be bad. They aren't really challenging and just clash with the rest of the game. I haven't defeated them all yet, but they don't even seem necessary from a story point of view other then to have boss battles in the first place.

Akuun

thetrin said:
Don't toss away the laser rifle. It will become insanely useful at the end of the game.
Crap, too late. XD
I tossed it in favor of the plasma rifle.

Zeliard said:
Yeah it's going to be really interesting. I mean, depending on what they do with timespan it's possible they could have more than one game between HR and DX1, but the difficulty will be in making things fresh and interesting. HR works beautifully because it's largely an entirely new story set in the same universe, while leading up to something already set in stone. Invisible War would have worked if it didn't suck, but that game also advanced time by something like 20 years, similar to how HR went back in time 25 years.

So to have these smaller increments of time between DX games is gonna be tricky when it comes to making things interesting and "new," and offering some different thematic elements (or at least putting them in a new light).

they will need to absolutely NAIL it with the aspect of "more of the same" but also with adding enough fresh gameplay and variety that it doesn't just feel like a second chapter or just an expansion. they can't put any less effort into the story as they did with HR either. just because it's a sequel to the reboot doesn't mean that they shouldn't put that much thought and care into it. i would be sad if a sequel focused small. ie: trying to find out who armed two gangs in detroit and save a sick dying lady.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
........it is sad i used rocket launcher for all the bosses??

my first playthrough involved only tranquilizer shots/gas grenades/CQC(non-kills), i had a rocket launcher just in case my darts couldnt finish the job lol. I am now starting a new "evil" run, kill kill kill!

Also, i didnt get the pacificst trophy because maybe i killed the guards in the intro chapter and
save malik, a dam tranquilzer is near impossible to use on that part.

Solo

User33 said:
If you're talking about gameplay, DX's final stretch was easily the worst part of the game (from Vandenberg to the end). The game almost completely drops the multiple paths, and the game becomes much more combat heavy. Remember how linear Ocean Lab was? HR is much better in that regard.

HR ends with
spamming the player with aug zombies
and the most anti-climactic boss fight I can recall in several years.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Akuun said:
Crap, too late. XD
I tossed it in favor of the plasma rifle.
Laser rifle is better for what I'm alluding to. Not that it matters. It's still easy.

Top Bottom