• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

jackdoe

Neuromancer said:
What's the augment that gives me the word 'activate' and 'hold X' on the bottom right hand of the screen, along with an icon of a handgun with a plus sign underneath? I have literally no idea what it's for. Thanks.
It's not an augment. It's a weapon enhancement and varies from weapon to weapon. Combat rifle has auto targeting which is essentially cheating.

Jintor

Neuromancer said:
What's the augment that gives me the word 'activate' and 'hold X' on the bottom right hand of the screen, along with an icon of a handgun with a plus sign underneath? I have literally no idea what it's for. Thanks.

It's your guided bullets weapon upgrade.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DualShadow said:
You could also
deactivate them by hacking the terminal upstairs, that's what I did
Yep. That's actually the way I did it, too.

So have been finally playing this afternoon. Wasn't too excited about the
hostage level until the Zeke Sanders confrontation. I didn't like the fact that I was basically running through the exact same room about 4 times.

I thought the Zeke Sanders confrontation was masterfully done. THIS is the Deus Ex I remember. An ambiguous situation without a particularly clear answer, with potential ramifications for future story points? Loved it. Reloaded several times until I got Sanders to let her go. There was at least three possible outcomes, you let him go and the cops kill him and the girl dies. You fight him and kill him, or you talk him into letting her go. And I'm assuming each one has at least somewhat of an impact on things that happen later in the game -- even if it's no more than a passing mention, it's cool nonetheless.

Wallach

Second boss fight was hilarious.
She lived however long it takes to play the Typhoon animation twice. Even got my two Typhoon rounds back after looting her. Speaking of which, can you loot the first boss, Barrett? When I looted her I realized I don't remember if I even tried to loot the first one.

SenseiJinx said:
So have been finally playing this afternoon. Wasn't too excited about the
hostage level until the Zeke Sanders confrontation. I didn't like the fact that I was basically running through the exact same room about 4 times.

I thought the Zeke Sanders confrontation was masterfully done. THIS is the Deus Ex I remember. An ambiguous situation without a particularly clear answer, with potential ramifications for future story points? Loved it. Reloaded several times until I got Sanders to let her go. There was at least three possible outcomes, you let him go and the cops kill him and the girl dies. You fight him and kill him, or you talk him into letting her go. And I'm assuming each one has at least somewhat of an impact on things that happen later in the game -- even if it's no more than a passing mention, it's cool nonetheless.

You can also
incapacitate him and encounter him later on in the precinct holding cell

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wallach said:
She lived however long it takes to play the Typhoon animation twice. Even got my two Typhoon rounds back after looting her. Speaking of which, can you loot the first boss, Barrett? When I looted her I realized I don't remember if I even tried to loot the first one.
Again, typhoon is the boss killer. There's little other use for it.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I've avoided coming into this topic because I didn't want to get my heart broken again. Huge fan of the original. So they actually did it? They actually did the Deus-ex brand justice? I found that about as likely as us having a Chinese president next year.

Shaheed79 said:
I've avoided coming into this topic because I didn't want to get my heart broken again. Huge fan of the original. So they actually did it? They actually did the Deus-ex brand justice? I found that about as likely as us having a Chinese president next year.

Oh yes. Yes they did.

Shaheed79 said:
I've got good news and bad news...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Neuromancer said:
Which weapon is it for? It's an attachment based upgrade and the effects vary from gun to gun.

Shaheed79 said:

Absolutely, it's not as good as the original but it feels like Deus Ex. It's no Invisible War mark II or anything.

How's the armor augs?

Am kinda running out of rad things to put points into besides cloak, which seems like a cop out to me =/

Can I armor up and go all Arnold slow walk with heavy machine gun and mow down fools without caring about cover?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
chickdigger802 said:
How's the armor augs?

Am kinda running out of rad things to put points into besides cloak, which seems like a cop out to me =/

Can I armor up and go all Arnold slow walk with heavy machine gun and mow down fools without caring about cover?
No. Even with Dermal Armor maxed out you're still pretty vulnerable, it's just not almost instant death anymore.

Balphon

chickdigger802 said:
How's the armor augs?

The immunity to electricity is helpful but the armor upgrades themselves largely aren't.

Flunkie

Banned
Just got the Motherly Ties bug. And I
killed Double-T
on accident and it overwrited my "previous auto save" and so the quest is gone forever. :(

Mindlog

Wallach said:
Nope.
His corpse is a fine mist in the air.

For the tranq rifle hold x is the target lead system.

On the topic of activated weapon mods, I'm having a hard time seeing what the target leading system for the tranquiliser rifle or crossbow actually does. I assumed from the name that it would lead the shot on a moving target automatically but it never seems to "lock on" properly. Or is that not what it actually does?

Varna

jim-jam bongs said:
On the topic of activated weapon mods, I'm having a hard time seeing what the target leading system for the tranquiliser rifle or crossbow actually does. I assumed from the name that it would lead the shot on a moving target automatically but it never seems to "lock on" properly. Or is that not what it actually does?

You have to activated first (default key is E on keyboard). It only shows you where you need to fire to hit a target. Doesn't lock-on or anything for you.

Varna said:
You have to activated first (default key is E on keyboard). It only shows you where you need to fire to hit a target. Doesn't lock-on or anything for you.

Ohhhhhh that makes a LOT more sense then. I was activating it but firing at the wrong circle obviously.

Dresden

Balphon said:
The immunity to electricity is helpful but the armor upgrades themselves largely aren't.
Useful for not getting gibbed by a single shotgun blast. I don't like loading up just for a botched alarm or something (working through your mistakes if half the fun) so it's always helpful.

Wallach said:
Ah, right. Duh.

I had a great time in the area leading up to the second boss. Really fun area.

It really is, I wish there were more bits like that actually. It reminded me of the Safe-cracker mission from NOLF. Fuck I want to play NOLF right now.

Coxswain

Dresden said:
Useful for not getting gibbed by a single shotgun blast. I don't like loading up just for a botched alarm or something (working through your mistakes if half the fun) so it's always helpful.
You can still get one-shotted by a close-range shotgun blast with max Dermal Armor, at least on Give Me Deus Ex. Dermal Armor isn't entirely useless, but it's definitely underpowered. It's basically half as strong as I think it needed to be. It's worthwhile mostly so you can get EMP shielding and walk all over electrified shit.

iavi

jim-jam bongs said:
He'd have a better chance than you or I, to be fair.

Haha, I guess.

Her concept art was one of the first I saw for the game and really took to,
so the fact that she didn't play a larger role blows. hard.

E: Watching the behind the scenes vids, and I can't help but crack up at Adam the art director a bit. I'm sure he asked for this.

ACE 1991

Anyone know how to redeem my free copy of Human Revolution? The Radeon 6950 I ordered a week ago from Newegg said it came with a coupon for a free copy, but I can't seem to find it.

Neiteio said:
Eh? Something about her I don't know?

Ask no questions, just play on friend :)

Miri said:
Haha, I guess.

Her concept art was one of the first I saw for the game and really took to,
so the fact that she didn't play a larger role blows. hard.

I kind of liked how she's always there in the background reporting on what you're doing or have just done. Whenever I found a TV which was off I'd usually switch it on and watch the short video loop, it added a little extra authenticity to the world.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Snuggler said:
My pipe dream would be for EM to revive the Bloodlines series, but they would need to hire Brian Mitsoda first.

fixed

But yes, this game is like hybrid between Bloodlines and original Deus Ex in terms of gameplay. It's closer to Bloodlines.

cackhyena said:
I really hope this hits big enough on consoles as well. I need this team to do more.

There is a report out that SE is looking to double the size of the studio over the next 4 years (to 600+ !!), which i view as a very good sign for that team. It helps that canada is so friendly to game devs.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
A Human Becoming said:
The scene at the Tai Young Medical headquarters where
Zhao flees into the panic room was really lame. I didn't believe her BS and was disappointed Jensen got played so easily. It's a shame there wasn't a split path there.

Knocking out the ~8 guards that came after that scene with a gas grenade greatly made up for it.
3AQmK.gif

DSN2K

great game! completed it last night. Must have put 20+ hours in....highlight was certainly smashing walls down yet not alarming anyone lol.

Top Bottom