• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

12 hours in and I'm still in Detroit. Haven't gone to the police station yet. Just exploring and doing sidequests.

I'm not sure what it is but this game is really clicking for me. It is easily one of my favorite games this generation, and that's saying a lot.

Finished detroit on my second play though.

I'm letting the gangs live, but the mercs are getting headshotted to hell. Killing everyone in the base made exploration much easier, and I found an entire area I didn't know existed after getting the password from 2 security guards.

Oh and the aug to break through walls is totally useless, because 1, all walls can be destroyed by anything (u can pistol them to death) 2. If you use the aug, you will kill the person on the other side. I occidentally discovered that a frag mine will knock out the person on the other side, not kill them.

TJswE.jpg

DarkChronic said:
12 hours in and I'm still in Detroit. Haven't gone to the police station yet. Just exploring and doing sidequests.

I'm not sure what it is but this game is really clicking for me. It is easily one of my favorite games this generation, and that's saying a lot.
Same boat. I did the Police Station, but not much beyond that. 17 hours. This game is dense.

Solo

Good christ. It took me 27 hours to beat the entire game including all sidequests, hacking everything I found, etc.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
It's cool man. My meticulous nature is leading to massive fits of save/load nonsense.

Spotted me did you?

No you didn't/reload

My next play through will be a real smash mouth job, whatever it takes. Alarms, sloppy stealth work, weaponry, death everywhere.

I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU

XeroSauce

BeeDog said:
Because it's a pain in the ass to re-use the same top 3-4 slots when it's easier to just assume that higher save file number equals more game progress.

I don't fucking understand some people's insistance on questioning things instead of trying to help out or answer the question at hand, jesus. Does it exactly matter why I use many saves? I simply asked for the location/folder for the save files, nothing else.

I just scrolled back to Save #2 (scroll up past 99) and I started again. Makes it easy to keep track off since the newer saves are put on top of the older ones anyways and you still keep count.

I hate that I can't just seem to accomplish certain quests without certain skills. I have a sidequest where I need to get evidence but the room it's in is, I think, a level 4 hack job and I'm at level 2. :/

sflufan said:
I took me 25 hours to leave Detroit.

that just sounds silly

The Broken Ska Record said:
I hate that I can't just seem to accomplish certain quests without certain skills. I have a sidequest where I need to get evidence but the room it's in is, I think, a level 4 hack job and I'm at level 2. :/

theres always a way to do something different

cackhyena

cackhyena said:
So the main menu music. When I load this game up, it's very hard for me to not just let it play for a bit. I can't find it on Youtube, though. Can someone point me in that direction?
Anyone?

thetechkid

Gouty said:
It's cool man. My meticulous nature is leading to massive fits of save/load nonsense.

Spotted me did you?

No you didn't/reload

My next play through will be a real smash mouth job, whatever it takes. Alarms, sloppy stealth work, weaponry, death everywhere.

I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU

This is how I am right now. My next playthrough is going to be a bloodbath of murder and boxes.

Gouty said:

Spotted me did you?

No you didn't/reload

HA.
I did the same thing. I probably made more saves than I did in Fallout/Oblivion & I put over 100 hours into each of them.

Derrick01 said:
They've already had a full team working on Thief for quite a while now. I think there's 3 teams there right now and we don't know what the 3rd one is working on yet. They're already working on both at once.

maybe the third one is a new IP

or if they're doing revivals, something Soul Reaver related would be great.

or Daikatana 2

Saren is Bad said:
that just sounds silly
It's really not, it took me 26 to get out of Detroit. I explored every nook and cranny, did every quest, read every book, and talked to most NPCs twice multiple times because they flesh out the world and you learn more about the current state of things. They change dialogue after each big quest and gain 2 new dialogue interactions. I just soaked it all in.

Anyway, after spending a couple hours in Heng Sha I must say this is quite possibly the most incredible hub world of anything I've ever played. I wouldn't be surprised if Heng Sha alone took them 2 years out of the 4 it took to make this game -- it's that ridiculously detailed and well-designed. On top of that, the art design is just gorgeous. I didn't think the game could get any better after Detroit but this is taking it to another level. Holy fuck.

Early Heng Sha stuff:
So I just completed the whole side quest with
Mei the prostitute in the hotel.
I'm wondering if I should continue to just walk around and explore and find other side quests or maybe hit the first main quest. I don't wanna miss a single side quest!

MrPing1000 said:
Oh and the aug to break through walls is totally useless, because 1, all walls can be destroyed by anything (u can pistol them to death) 2. If you use the aug, you will kill the person on the other side. I occidentally discovered that a frag mine will knock out the person on the other side, not kill them.

Never knew you could destroy cracked walls by just shooting them, would have made several areas easier for me early on.

Yeah, I found several places throughout the game that needed hacking skills to proceed or get a quest done.

Coxswain

I've generally found a way around it, but I can't seem to figure out another way for this one.
It sounds like you're talking about the Motherly Ties quest,
getting evidence out of the safe in the storage locker?
If so, your options for completing that portion are to either raise your Hacking or to get the Social Enhancer aug.

Unless you can just blow safes open with weapons or something, anyway, but I kinda doubt it.

Also, there isn't always a way to do things differently, when it comes to hacking and sidequests. You need level 3, minimum, to complete three sidequests, and the one you're on now is going to require you to either get level 2 or to look up a computer password on a FAQ.

If that bums you out, though, two of the quests give you a Praxis Kit as a reward, so it quite literally pays for itself, on top of the extra experience you get for completing the quests and the oodles of money, items, and experience you get from hacking in general.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Solo said:
Good christ. It took me 27 hours to beat the entire game including all sidequests, hacking everything I found, etc.
Same here. I explored a lot too. I have no clue how people spent more than 10 hours in Detoit alone.

RoboPlato said:
Same here. I explored a lot too. I have no clue how people spent more than 10 hours in Detoit alone.

19.2 hours for me, but I didn't hack everything. I did all the sidequests I got, but I know I missed at least one.

Here is a fun little 'moral' question.

Is 'non lethal' kills against those soldiers/guards/mercs during 'missions' (No jacket time!) worse than killing them?

Reading up on emails and watching the 'news' and what not. It does seem to imply, that even though you 'survived' the intrusion of 'Sarif dog', your pretty much fucked in more ways than 1.

At the very least if you died, you might have some life insurance or something for the family >.>"

Coxswain said:
It sounds like you're talking about the Motherly Ties quest,
getting evidence out of the safe in the storage locker?
If so, your options for completing that portion are to either raise your Hacking or to get the Social Enhancer aug.

Unless you can just blow safes open with weapons or something, anyway, but I kinda doubt it.

Also, there isn't always a way to do things differently, when it comes to hacking and sidequests. You need level 3, minimum, to complete three sidequests, and the one you're on now is going to require you to either get level 2 or to look up a computer password on a FAQ.

If that bums you out, though, two of the quests give you a Praxis Kit as a reward, so it quite literally pays for itself, on top of the extra experience you get for completing the quests and the oodles of money, items, and experience you get from hacking in general.
Actually it was the quest with
O'Malley
. Getting the
evidence from his apartment.

Forkball

Did this quest glitch out? I'm on Cloak and Daggers.
I went into that guy's apartment, knocked out Double T, and then I found the weapon stash and it gave me a bunch of XP, but it still says I need to find the weapon stash. But the marker disappeared and now there are now blue markers anywhere. I went back to Jenny but she acts like I haven't finished it yet.

I am enjoying the game so far. But what the fuck is up with the character models in this game?

Every women has the same body and large breasts with the exception of one who had the really bad voice acting.

What the fuck?

edit:

[/spoiler]
You didn't finish the investigation yet. Did you do the part where you have to
stealth into the guard ridden shanty area and find the stuff?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ThoseDeafMutes said:
19.2 hours for me, but I didn't hack everything. I did all the sidequests I got, but I know I missed at least one.
I managed to get all of the sidequests, thankfully. It would have driven me crazy if I had missed them.

RoboPlato said:

I hacked everything unlocked 90ish% of the achievements and only missed one side quest and I finished the game in 19 hrs on the hardest difficulty.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Forkball said:
I went into that guy's apartment, knocked out Double T, and then I found the weapon stash and it gave me a bunch of XP, but it still says I need to find the weapon stash. But the marker disappeared and now there are now blue markers anywhere. I went back to Jenny but she acts like I haven't finished it yet.
you have to physically pick up a suitcase with weapons at the weapon stash. Its kinda weird.

Forkball said:
check behind boxes

Just finished the game.

Zombies... really now? Ending was crap. The game could have been a lot better, best parts were the two first city hubs. As the game progresses, you realize that the plot is as clichéd and silly as any other big title's released this gen (corporates are evil, patient X). Considering how shallow it is, the science bits seem like they were thrown in only to impress the players because of how irrelevant they were. Moreover, you realize everything you do is useless/not fun. Money is useless, exp/augs are useless save for a couple, reading pocket secretaries and e-mails is useless, multipath is useless (either hack your way in, rambo your way in, or find a vent). I love cyberpunk but I don't find Deus Ex HR to be memorable at all.

Edit: forgot spoiler tags, shit, hope no one read that. editted as fast as i could.

How do I get past
the bombs set up in the room in the guys apartment that I'm helping the undercover prostitute girl do for a sidequest?

^early sidequest spoiler

Edit: I read it, and I really didn't like that first word I saw :(

coopolon

I beat it. I loved it except for the boss fights up until the last level. The last level is atrocious. Truly horrendous. Enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth for the game because I can't understand why the hell they would do that. The last boss fight is bad (but they all were.) The ending was good but not as inspired as DE.

If I could skip from the last persuasion point to the end it would have been a significantly better game.

Swifty

robotzombie said:
How do I get past
the bombs set up in the room in the guys apartment that I'm helping the undercover prostitute girl do for a sidequest?

^early sidequest spoiler
Crouch and walk. Then press the Use button twice on the mines to disarm and acquire them.

robotzombie said:
How do I get past

^early sidequest spoiler

Edit: I read it, and I really didn't like that first word I saw :(

Walk slowly and carry a strong Use button.

Bread

Banned
hengsha before boss spoilers help please
OK I hope I'm wrong, but did this game just put me into a situation with 2 sentry bots and no EMP grenades to be found? I'm actually getting pissed off here, I have nothing to fight these things and I have nothing to fight them with! Please tell me I'm overlooking 2 hidden EMP grenades in this hangar

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Bread said:
OK I hope I'm wrong, but did this game just put me into a situation with 2 sentry bots and no EMP grenades to be found? I'm actually getting pissed off here, I have nothing to fight these things and I have nothing to fight them with! Please tell me I'm overlooking 2 hidden EMP grenades in this hangar
You can just sneak by them.

Bread said:

there's one in the control booth

Goddamit. Clicked on the story thread by accident, saw a bunch of spoilers. Was about to yell "fuck you guys, spoiler tags please" before I read too much and realised where I was. think I might have spoiled some things for myself.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Bread said:
it says the hangar door won't open until they're deactivated

don't I need 2?
Ah, sorry. I was thinking of another room. There are a few around. You just have to be sneaky about it and look everywhere. You can also catch them both in one blast.

hteng

Banned

you;'ll most likely have to find the code somewhere, is this the dirty cop quest?

What's the augment that gives me the word 'activate' and 'hold X' on the bottom right hand of the screen, along with an icon of a handgun with a plus sign underneath? I have literally no idea what it's for. Thanks.

Top Bottom