• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

i-Lo

i-Lo said:
So I am about to go the
medical tower belonging to the chinese competitor
and I am at the train station. Before I board the train for what may might as well be a one way trip I wanted to know if I have missed any side quests. So far I have done these (note: The spoiler description aren't exactly too spoiler-iffic except number one from detroit):

Helping the lady of the oldest profession
Helping Malik get justice
Helping Bar tender with the tab

Also in detroit, I did the following side quests:

Saving the manager from Zeke
Brought peace of mind to Reid's mother
Where I had to save my co-worker's ass because he was feeling philanthropic

So did I miss any more in Detroit and am I missing any more from the first part of Heng sha?

Anyone?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Solo said:
HR ends with
spamming the player with aug zombies
and the most anti-climactic boss fight I can recall in several years.
Maybe it's just my imagination, but a LOT of games seem to do this. They completely drop the pretenses set forth earlier in the game, making it extremely linear, and throw braindead hordes of enemies at you.

Solo said:
HR ends with
spamming the player with aug zombies
and the most anti-climactic boss fight I can recall in several years.

Yet another possible MGS influence.
That whole aug freak out shit played out almost exactly like the SOP nonsense in MGS4.

scitek

thetrin said:
Maybe it's just my imagination, but a LOT of games seem to do this. They completely drop the pretenses set forth earlier in the game, making it extremely linear, and throw braindead hordes of enemies at you.

Dead Space 2 and Crysis 2 both did it after having big bosses in the first games. It's a trend I don't like, either.

I played 15 hours of HR and then lost my save due to being an idiot. Played all the way back through the game in the past two days, and beat it an hour ago. Went through all the endings. Don't like how they
went with real footage for the endings. Didn't fit at all and came off as lazy as shit to me since I could literally have made those endings myself and put them on YouTube.

Game's awesome, though, and it's the only one to come along in a LONG time that's got me considering going for the final 7 achievements I've yet to unlock.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
thetrin said:

like Bloodlines for example

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Red Blaster said:
Yet another possible MGS influence.
That whole aug freak out shit played out almost exactly like the SOP nonsense in MGS4.
HR is dripping with MGS influence. The Aug freak out reminded me a LOT of the SOP freak out in MGS4.

Not to mention the endings are all real video, which reminds me of the MGS1 and 2 endings.

coopolon

thetrin said:

Seriously. And I just don't understand it. You have great mechanics that people love and pulled them into your game enough so that they are getting close to the end, now lets completely screw it all up.

I really hope that in a few weeks/months someone does a mod to make this more of a straight-up shooter with augs.

I'm playing stealth, ghost, foxiest of hounds, and freakin' pacifist right now, and I want to absolutely wreck fools on my next play through. But there's no ammo in the game. :-/

Oh what I'd do for a New Game Plus.

coopolon

The_Darkest_Red said:
Really? I thought most of the best parts of the game took place after Detroit...

I agree, I think
Singapore
was the best level in the entire game. Followed by
Panchea
which is far and away the worst.

Dresden

coopolon said:
Seriously. And I just don't understand it. You have great mechanics that people love and pulled them into your game enough so that they are getting close to the end, now lets completely screw it all up.
I think they ran out of time/budget. Sort of like Montreal not being a hub.

That said you can stealth through the last mission just fine, so it's not horrendous - and the enemies we got weren't that much more brain dead than the ones we'd seen before. The boss is very lame, though. It wasn't challenging, engaging, or interesting at all.

raphier

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
Really? I thought most of the best parts of the game took place after Detroit...
Well, when it comes to what you can do and the side missions, I kinda feel that way. It's quite strong beginning imo.

coopolon said:
I don't get why this is such a big deal. It's not like the entire back half of the game was like this, it was just one short sequence at the end.
Omega Ranch felt like a completely satisfying way to wrap up the traditional gameplay of HR and I just saw the rest as something that was driven by the story. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the gameplay at all during those parts but I definitely agree that it wasn't as interesting as what's seen during the bulk of the game.
Still, it wasn't an issue to me because it was short and it served a purpose in the greater context of the game as a whole.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
raphier said:
To me it feels like they got lazy after detroit. Kinda lost the interest, yet had to finish the game.

it only gets better. The first Detroit is good but it's weakest hub in the game (I haven't played it to the end but I'm on my second visit to Hengsha).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How anybody could consider Vandenberg even in the realm of the worst part of the original game is beyond me.

Cut hubs: http://www.next-gen.biz/news/eidos-montreal-planned-more-deus-ex-locations

"There were definitely supposed to be some streets to Montreal," he said. "There were outdoor locations set in one of the most famous neighbourhoods of Montreal, called Plateau. It's got very specific architecture, called tri-plexes, with twirling exterior staircases made of this old metal.

"It's very specific to Montreal, and we'd drawn concept art of how these streets would look in 20 or 30 years from now. We even tried them in-game. Walking around them felt quite special - that architecture had never been in a game before, and never realised alongside a vision of 2027. It was really cool."

"We had planned for a lot more city hubs," he told us. "Montreal was supposed to be one. Upper Heng Sha was actually built, but it was never finished.

"At the beginning of the project we even planned to go to India. But as we constructed the city hubs, and understood the amount of work it took, we had to pare it down."

More at the link.

Shouta

So I just finished the game on the normal setting and it was really good until the very last mission, holy crap that last mission was awful. They enemies didn't even attack me at all for some reason and the boss battle was terribad. I had gotten all the new toys too and didn't get to use them at all >=(

KorrZ

The_Darkest_Red said:
That would be so amazing. An entire hub as DLC, complete with 3 side missions and 3 story missions for $15 - $20.

I REALLY REALLY hope that if they do DLC for this game that it's a new hub and not just a mission level. I would easily pay 15$ if they just added Montreal into the game. Like you said, a couple side missions and a story mission or two, 4-6 hours of gameplay with new goodies to explore. SOLD.

Grisby

Solo said:
Yai Tong Medical was the best mission in the game.

I would agree. It had an interesting structure with some memorable areas, such as the
laser room
and some good plot stuff. Oh, and that vista was something nice.

Zeliard

Stallion Free said:
I would buy a hub-based expansion so fucking fast.

Yeah they should just do it in the form of a meaty expansion pack. But I fear we won't see that stuff till a sequel, with the DLC being smaller adventures. Remains to be seen.

Sullichin

Stallion Free said:
I would buy a hub-based expansion so fucking fast.

I'm not even done with the game and I agree. A hub with a couple of story missions, a couple of side missions, and maybe a couple of new Augs.

evilgreg

Neo Member
Zeliard said:
738px-Widowmaker_Shotgun.jpg

Look at the shotgun's stats, for example. The bolded yellow are the stats you currently have upgraded. The faded yellow are the limit you can upgrade to. Once you hit the grey, it's fully upgraded for that particular category. So the shotgun's damage output can be upgraded to the full maximum.

The add-on upgrades are different. Everyone weapon will have silencer and laser sight on the top left represented by the first two boxes - and they will be crossed out if that weapon can't use them like with the shotgun - plus another "special" mod that each weapon has (which some weapons also share, i.e. the curved bullets for the combat rifle and machine pistol). The special mod for the 10mm is armor-piercing, for the shotgun it's burst fire, revolver it's explosive rounds, etc.
I still don't get it. Do they level up automatically, or do you have to go into the menu and select which stats to raise? Hurr durr

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
evilgreg said:
I still don't get it. Do they level up automatically, or do you have to go into the menu and select which stats to raise? Hurr durr
You apply upgrades that are found/bought to the weapon. The upgrades sit in your inventory until you apply them.

You will only find enough upgrades throughout the course of the game to fully upgrade 1-2 weapons.

Pete Rock

angular graphics said:
"We could fill an Ikea catalogue with all the furniture we designed."
Speaking of, who is going to be the one who recreates the lighting fixtures in this game for commercial purposes? I cannot be the only one who would pay money for the organic "rope" & "cylinder" lights on flexible shafts, in like every goddamn color. Even that stupid candelabrum with the green shafts. Buy buy buy

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Beat the game last night. The end was indeed a letdown but oh well. Game was still great. I'll probably start right back up again, maybe try to go completely stealth.

Dresden said:
After reading River of Gods (greatest cyberpunk novel ever), I want an India-based Deus Ex so bad.
Hell yeah, River of Gods is awesome, and it definitely made me want a game like Deus Ex in future India. Hopefully since Eidos Montreal was already considering that for this game it might be a priority for a sequel. That's one of my top demands for the next Deus Ex title.

FStop7

Banned
Neuromancer said:
How hard is the hardest setting, particularly with bosses? I'm debating whether I even want to bother.

It's not that hard except it makes the bosses kind of a pain in the ass if you're playing a non-lethal character. Especially the second boss.

Neuromancer said:
How hard is the hardest setting, particularly with bosses? I'm debating whether I even want to bother.
I'm not sure because I haven't made it to one yet in my Give Me Deus Ex playthrough but I don't imagine them being a problem if you've got the Typhoon Explosive System.

KorrZ

Neuromancer said:

Not any harder than the other difficulties. Honestly as long as you make room in your inventory for a couple of EMP grenades every single one of the bosses is a freakin joke. Playing Give me Deus Ex right now and have beat the first 2 bosses on the first attempt in under 30 seconds.

Top Bottom