• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Neuromancer said:
How hard is the hardest setting, particularly with bosses? I'm debating whether I even want to bother.

It feels exactly the same to me, for the most part, because I only rely on stealth and it doesn't seem like anything changes except damage given and taken. So of course the bosses are noticeably harder to kill and more annoying. I just cheesed them with the stun-gun or Typhoon.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Neuromancer said:
OK thanks. Yeah I would not be doing a pacifist thing on that difficulty. I may give it a shot.
It's piss easy as a stealth character. Just make sure you bring 3-5 mines on the relevant missions for bosses.

Even doing pacifist on it wasn't bad.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
KorrZ said:
I REALLY REALLY hope that if they do DLC for this game that it's a new hub and not just a mission level. I would easily pay 15$ if they just added Montreal into the game. Like you said, a couple side missions and a story mission or two, 4-6 hours of gameplay with new goodies to explore. SOLD.

I'm pretty sure Montreal has said they wont be using any cut content for DLC, and that the plan for DLC is to add extra adventures and side missions. I guess they dont want to rip up the existing game too much.

Personally, I'd have no problem with them building a huge expansion pack of sorts that essentially overhauls the last third of the game to include a new hub and missions. A director's cut of sorts. Alas, it wont happen.

EatChildren said:
I'm pretty sure Montreal has said they wont be using any cut content for DLC, and that the plan for DLC is to add extra adventures and side missions. I guess they dont want to rip up the existing game too much.

Personally, I'd have no problem with them building a huge expansion pack of sorts that essentially overhauls the last third of the game to include a new hub and missions. A director's cut of sorts. Alas, it wont happen.
That article about the cut hubs made me think of the same thing. I wonder if any SP experience has ever been significantly altered in gaming's history through DLC. I can't think of any but it would be really interesting.

KorrZ

EatChildren said:

I would absolutely prefer an expansion pack type deal as well. It doesn't have to be Montreal but really just any new Hub would be ideal. It's not that I hate the actual missions in this game, a lot of them are really well done and
Picus
is probably my favourite area in the game. It's just, I can't see paying 10$ for a quick mission. Walking around the hubs and finding all the little hidden secrets and paths are what I love about this game.

Deadbeat

Banned
I would like a DLC expansion that continues the story a bit. Just for more closure on certain characters. But levels that are equivalent to the first mission in the game.

DryvBy

Finally got my copy and I love it. Game is hard. I'm playing Hard as John McClane. Angry at the terrorist, he's just throwing everything at them and giving smart remarks to everyone he talks to. Yippie-ki-yay!

Enco

The_Darkest_Red said:
That would be so amazing. An entire hub as DLC, complete with 3 side missions and 3 story missions for $15 - $20.
Yup.

I wouldn't need any other single player game (save for Skyrim). Between this, BF3 and Skyrim, I'm set for life. FOR LIFE!

Enco said:
Yup.

I wouldn't need any other single player game (save for Skyrim). Between this, BF3 and Skyrim, I'm set for life. FOR LIFE!
I just want an augment wired into my brain that gets a steady stream of new hubs and missions for HR.

Salaadin

PhatSaqs said:
Im interested in this and coming in totally blind. Not reading any reviews. What says you GAF?

Its a steaming pile of crap. Dont waste your time with this garbage. Also, today is opposite day.

Sullichin

PhatSaqs said:
Im interested in this and coming in totally blind. Not reading any reviews. What says you GAF?

if you like fallout or mass effect, you'd like this. if you want an FPS game, you might not like it.

Enco

I felt like a HUGE asshole after walking over
the dead bodies covered in white sheets near the end of the game

Also, I should have known better than to
get the biochip upgrade
. Those
moving muscle mannequins
were super creepy.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Epyon MX said:
I really hope that in a few weeks/months someone does a mod to make this more of a straight-up shooter with augs.

I'm playing stealth, ghost, foxiest of hounds, and freakin' pacifist right now, and I want to absolutely wreck fools on my next play through. But there's no ammo in the game. :-/

Oh what I'd do for a New Game Plus.
I plan to do that in my next playthrough. I'm just doing whatever I want in my first playthrough (stealth but lethal), and I don't understand the mentions about ammo. There's plenty of ammo to be had in the game. I'm near the end now, and I'm overflowing on the ammo for the guns that I use the most often.

Akuun said:
I plan to do that in my next playthrough. I'm just doing whatever I want in my first playthrough (stealth but lethal), and I don't understand the mentions about ammo. There's plenty of ammo to be had in the game. I'm near the end now, and I'm overflowing on the ammo for the guns that I use the most often.
The reason you aren't having problems with ammo is because you're playing stealth but lethal. If you play straight up combat as if the game were a normal FPS or TPS I would imagine that you would find yourself running out of ammo quite frequently.

(._.)

Banned
I've decided I hate the hacking mingame in this game. It's just annoying and the cool down is such a waste of time. Also some amount of change goes into it and it makes it unfair. One of the few faults in this game.

OG Kush

Can someone explain this?
Met the polcie guy at the convention center.. I ask about
bomb
and he says some shit then adam says "Did he have the shirt too?" police guy then goes "what?" and continues on another topic. is this some inside deus ex joke?

OG Kush said:
bomb
and he says some shit then adam says "Did he have the shirt too?" police guy then goes "what?" and continues on another topic. is this some inside deus ex joke?

Che shirts.

eek5

(._.) said:
I've decided I hate the hacking mingame in this game. It's just annoying and the cool down is such a waste of time. Also some amount of change goes into it and it makes it unfair. One of the few faults in this game.
If you're about to lose, disconnect and you don't have to wait for a cooldown but it eats up one of your tries

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
OG Kush said:
bomb

The guy was quoting Che Guerva, and Jensen was joking about the shirts featuring the guy's mug that all the 'viva la revolution' wanker uni students wear. You know, this one:

che-guevarax8yy.jpeg

Akuun said:
There's plenty for playing as a stealthy character. And I'm non-lethal, so maybe my concerns are unfounded, but I want to play unstealthy shooter focused next just to see how diverse the play experience can be. So when I pick up a machine pistol with 2 bullets in it, I'm not sure that unstealthy violence is an option.

I love the game, and will continue to love the game, but i am already sensing the dying hype on here on gaf. How long till the cycle completes itself and people systematically begin to put down the game as good but not great, as opposed to the heaps of praise of those first couple days?

coopolon

Gamer @ Heart said:
I love the game, and will continue to love the game, but i am already sensing the dying hype on here on gaf. How long till the cycle completes itself and people systematically begin to put down the game as good but not great, as opposed to the heaps of praise of those first couple days?

The game starts off really strongly and ends really poorly. I think all it takes is a playthrough for the cycle you're talking about to finish.

EatChildren

Gamer @ Heart said:
coopolon said:
The game starts off really strongly and ends really poorly. I think all it takes is a playthrough for the cycle you're talking about to finish.

This, basically. The very final chapter is rubbish, so its easy for a lot of people to end on a sour note.

Seems to be a curse for a lot of games like this. Bloodlines too had a shitty final act, and yet it remains one of my favourite games of all time.

coopolon said:
I can see that. I however, strangely liked the last level, especially my second play through as stealth.

I just love that 200 foot icarus drop.

coopolon said:

Absolutely this. Unexpectedly it was not my expectations from the original game that caused this, but the expectations set in the first half or so of the game. After that it really tapers off to the point that I was kind of mindlessly sneaking through everything without much knowledge or concern over what was happening in the story.

Still a good game, but leaves a bitter sweet feeling where I just wish they had spent more time on it.

Gamer @ Heart said:

When people start their second playthroughs and realize they've pretty much seen everything there is to see with the game on their first playthrough. Game doesn't have anywhere near the lasting appeal that the original had.

coopolon said:
I think people will blow the mediocrity of the final mission way out of proportion, as seems to be happening already. Personally I thought the gameplay of the mission wasn't very good but I enjoyed it because of the story and I loved the ending. Even so, that entire mission is probably about 3% of the entire game, although I'm sure that will be enough for some people to write the entire thing off as a "disappointing failure."

Not me though, I'll stick by HR as one of the best games of this generation, if not the best. It's not perfect but it's as close as anything I've played in years and it has completely sucked me in since last Tuesday, even into my second playthrough.

Gamer @ Heart said:
It basicly starts after your post. Soo.. since i'm still very hyperbolicly positive about this game, i'll just elave this thread till i'm done.

stuminus3

Red Blaster said:
When people start their second playthroughs and realize they've pretty much seen everything there is to see with the game on their first playthrough. Game doesn't have anywhere near the lasting appeal that the original had.
Which is ironically where I wish they'd taken more cues from Invisible War.

That game is super short (compared to DX and HR at least), but the nature of the mission structure means you can play it twice over and have half the game literally be completely different. HR is too rigid.

I guess the downside is that if you had a game that was structured like Invisible War but the main game lasted as long as Human Revolution you'd either run out of money or be developing it for decades. Which was always Warren Spector's issue.

Also food for thought on the "HR's last mission is garbage" thing: people say the same about Half-Life, and that's a classic.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Red Blaster said:
The actual mechanics and presentation are fantastic. It really has that golden first run through.

I think the big problem is they needed more AUGs. You can do the quests and missions different, but you really can't change up the style of play. or increase difficulty.

I said it before, its a pity the game has to be on consoles too. Since it would be perfect for an expansion pack. Adding in a new hub, 6-7 new side quests, and 3 missions maybe 5-6 new AUGs. For 20-25$. It would be perfect. Instead, it looks like we are just going to get mission DLC.

First playthrough...

Give Me Deus Ex...

Yelena Fedrova has me inventing swear words.

I'm sitting on 9 praxis points so I'm thinking I might...

Destroy the electrical thingies AFTER I make myself immune to electricity...and then shoot the hell out of her.

But man...these boss fights are for the fuckin birds.

Arklite

stuminus3 said:

That game is super short (compared to DX and HR at least), but the nature of the mission structure means you can play it twice over and have half the game literally be completely different. HR is too rigid.
I don't remember that being the case with IW at all. Where did it shift?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Arklite said:
I don't remember that being the case with IW at all. Where did it shift?

Your alignment with the factions and the ability to kill of major characters?

What gets me is that IW's lighting engine from 7 years ago is more advanced than HR's. Never would have believed that if you told me back in 2004.

shintoki said:
The actual mechanics and presentation are fantastic. It really has that golden first run through.

I think the big problem is they needed more AUGs. You can do the quests and missions different, but you really can't change up the style of play. or increase difficulty.

I said it before, its a pity the game has to be on consoles too. Since it would be perfect for an expansion pack. Adding in a new hub, 6-7 new side quests, and 3 missions maybe 5-6 new AUGs. For 20-25$. It would be perfect. Instead, it looks like we are just going to get mission DLC.

The lack of difficulty is killer. The game is pathetically easy even on Deus Ex difficulty because you get a billion praxis points. Being a super armored, cloaking hacker with a souped up silenced 10mm pistol is boring.

stuminus3 said:

I guess the downside is that if you had a game that was structured like Invisible War but the main game lasted as long as Human Revolution you'd either run out of money or be developing it for decades. Which was always Warren Spector's issue.

Also food for thought on the "HR's last mission is garbage" thing: people say the same about Half-Life, and that's a classic.

Personally I don't think it's so much that the last mission is garbage, it's poor and that is a small piece of it. More challenging and more interesting enemies should be standard closure for an action game, not easier/stupider. In the very least, a challenging boss and exciting boss fight at the end.

Much more than that though, for me at least, was the severe cut of story presentation towards the end. In detroit you are presenting with cut scenes, in depth conversations with main characters, side conversations with other characters, and lots of conversations to listen in on to further flesh out the world. All of this becomes virtually non-existent by the end of the game, when the story should be getting MORE interesting and MORE exciting, the presentation drastically tapers off. That is the biggest problem for me, not the actually gameplay or length of the ending, but how it is presented.

Still an amazing game, and still one of the best this year - but I don't exactly like many new games these days. Witcher 2 blows it out of the fucking water with pure fun and grin factor. Even though that also gets complaints about the ending, you get epic boss fights, epic new scenery, epic new armor, and solid focus on closing out the story in the end.

Top Bottom