• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Love this funkiness. Yellow arms and dat face. And a single elongated eyebrow? LOL

2011-09-02_00003.jpg

Branson

So if it says "Warning: if you leave this area current sidequests will be canceled" and I don't have any, does that mean I've missed one somewhere? Or is it just a general warning.

Branson said:
So if it says "Warning: if you leave this area current sidequests will be canceled" and I don't have any, does that mean I've missed one somewhere? Or is it just a general warning.
You'll get the warning no matter what.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Red Blaster said:
The lack of difficulty is killer. The game is pathetically easy even on Deus Ex difficulty because you get a billion praxis points. Being a super armored, cloaking hacker with a souped up silenced 10mm pistol is boring.

And don't forget the air vent shenanigans. Seriously, it's a game breaker. Too easy to kill a building full of mercs.

Damn. I was on the mission where you have to go to David Sarif's office to have an argument with him to progress the story. I went there and saw the mission marker at his desk, but he was nowhere in sight. I reloaded like 10 times and he still wasn't there... except he was. I went behind the desk and his character model was there, crushed like a pancake. Thankfully he became un-pancaked when I talked to him, because I was scared my save was busted permanently.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Red Blaster said:
The lack of difficulty is killer. The game is pathetically easy even on Deus Ex difficulty because you get a billion praxis points. Being a super armored, cloaking hacker with a souped up silenced 10mm pistol is boring.
Its not because you get a billion Praxis points. To be blunt, you don't even need one. The cover system, Crouch, and third person view is all you need.

The problem is the AI responses exactly the same to stealth portions... which the game funnels you down anyways. Being stronger, more damage, quicker. It doesn't matter when they never spot you in the first place.

AI is not aggressive enough at trying to find you. To break up that stealth gameplay.

With more AUGs they could of at least hidden that fact. If you couldn't get every damn useful thing, or force people to invest into one specific style. Then sure.

shintoki said:
The actual mechanics and presentation are fantastic. It really has that golden first run through.

I think the big problem is they needed more AUGs. You can do the quests and missions different, but you really can't change up the style of play. or increase difficulty.

I said it before, its a pity the game has to be on consoles too. Since it would be perfect for an expansion pack. Adding in a new hub, 6-7 new side quests, and 3 missions maybe 5-6 new AUGs. For 20-25$. It would be perfect. Instead, it looks like we are just going to get mission DLC.

Why does being on a console have anything to do with NOT getting an expansion?

Arklite

shintoki said:
The problem is the AI responses exactly the same to stealth portions... which the game funnels you down anyways. Being stronger, more damage, quicker. It doesn't matter when they never spot you in the first place.

I don't agree here. If a guard caught a glimpse of me peeking out he'd come and investigate, through a lobby, up the stairs, and to my position. Late in the game the guards would be alerted in groups.

Of course if I'm sneaking around using my radar and executing them with a silenced headshot from behind as soon as they face away, then they won't see shit. I don't see how that's a problem.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
this game feels monumental. It's very long and well done. I can't stop playing. I'm like "well, I'll play for 45 minutes" and stand up 3 hours later. I rarely play more than 1 hour.

coopolon

The_Darkest_Red said:
I think people will blow the mediocrity of the final mission way out of proportion, as seems to be happening already. Personally I thought the gameplay of the mission wasn't very good but I enjoyed it because of the story and I loved the ending. Even so, that entire mission is probably about 3% of the entire game, although I'm sure that will be enough for some people to write the entire thing off as a "disappointing failure."

Not me though, I'll stick by HR as one of the best games of this generation, if not the best. It's not perfect but it's as close as anything I've played in years and it has completely sucked me in since last Tuesday, even into my second playthrough.

I disagree with you about the quality of the last mission. It wasn't mediocre, it was bad.
Second trip to Hengsha was mediocre.
The entire level was bad, and the boss fight was terrible. You're absolutely right though that it is a minor portion of the game (although I think the quality of the game started to take a dip about halfway through in general, it still remained pretty good until the last mission.) The problem though is it's the last thing you remember about the game.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Hey now... your praise isn't welcome here. We're currently in full on back-lash mode.

Really?

subversus said:
this game feels monumental. It's very long and well done. I can't stop playing. I'm like "well, I'll play for 45 minutes" and stand up 3 hours later. I rarely play more than 1 hour.
Hey now... your praise isn't welcome here. We're currently in full on back-lash mode.

coopolon said:
I disagree with you about the quality of the last mission. It wasn't mediocre, it was bad.
Second trip to Hengsha was mediocre.
The entire level was bad, and the boss fight was terrible. You're absolutely right though that it is a minor portion of the game (although I think the quality of the game started to take a dip about halfway through in general, it still remained pretty good until the last mission.) The problem though is it's the last thing you remember about the game.
I don't think the second half of the game took a dip,
although exploring the hub-worlds for the first time was definitely one of the high points of the game. As far as the last mission I don't think it was terrible because there were parts I really enjoyed, such as the conversation with Darrow, the art of the level, the final boss encounter (weird as it was), and especially the ending choice and monologues. I just don't think it's nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

coopolon said:
Just jokin' man.

coopolon

The_Darkest_Red said:
I don't think the second half of the game took a dip,
although exploring the hub-worlds for the first time was definitely one of the high points of the game. As far as the last mission I don't think it was terrible because there were parts I really enjoyed, such as the conversation with Darrow, the art of the level, the final boss encounter (weird as it was), and especially the ending choice and monologues. I just don't think it's nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

Just jokin' man.

You're probably right about the
second trips to hub worlds not having as much impact as the first effecting my thoughts about the second half of the game. I was pretty disappointed when I learned you just went back to the same two. At least when you returned to Detroit though the riot was going on and that helped change how it felt.

coopolon

Salaadin said:
What was wrong with it?

It's also much less dramatic than it is on console, to the point where most people thought it simply wasn't working until a developer responded saying it was and it was intentionally so minor.

coopolon said:
You're probably right about the
second trips to hub worlds not having as much impact as the first effecting my thoughts about the second half of the game. I was pretty disappointed when I learned you just went back to the same two. At least when you returned to Detroit though the riot was going on and that helped change how it felt.
I think it's all about keeping expectations in check. I spent 20+ hours exploring two of the coolest environments I've ever seen in a game, and while I would have loved another couple of them I realized that it was probably asking too much. If the missions hadn't been interesting during those return visits I probably would have cared a lot more but I didn't spend much time in either hub on my second trip so it wasn't a big deal to me. I really enjoyed some of the later levels, actually, so it almost balanced the halves for me.

I will admit that overall the first half of the game is better, though.

subversus

The_Darkest_Red said:

sorry! I can't keep up with the thread moving so fast.

Just to pile up some more praise I have to say that until the second visit to Detroit the game was just damn good for me. But after Detroit it has become something special. Ambient dialogue was really well done and three verbal battles were awesome. It's the first game since Planescape Torment (played it last summer, so it wasn't long though) and may be Dead Money DLC where I have to think and analyze as much as it is possible what I'm saying and with what person I'm talking. It's even better with CASIE aug where you can watch persuasion progress (and regress) and plan your response depending on character's trait. Writing isn't that great in this game but it totally works in verbal battles. One particular character even managed to make me angry.

And after that it just keeps going strong.

I need to play it more...

subversus said:
sorry! I can't keep up with the thread moving so fast.

Just to pile up some more praise I have to say that until the second visit to Detroit the game was just damn good for me. But after Detroit it has become something special. Ambient dialogue was really well done and three verbal battles were awesome. It's the first game since Planescape Torment (played it last summer, so it wasn't long though) and may be Dead Money DLC where I have to think and analyze as much as it is possible what I'm saying and with what person I'm talking. It's even better with CASIE aug where you can watch persuasion progress (and regress) and plan your response depending on character's trait. Writing isn't that great in this game but it totally works in verbal battles. One particular character even managed to make me angry.

And after that it just keeps going strong.

I need to play it more...
I really loved the showdown with
Taggart at the convention center. It was so satisfying seeing him back down in front of the world thanks to my dialog choices. I didn't get the CASIE aug at any point in the game because I really wanted to think during those sections.

Enco

I'm towards the end of the game
after the ship segment
and I threw stealth out the window. Going in guns blazing is much easier and more gratifying when you get annoyed with the asshole enemies.

I seem to be having a problem with "static", so to speak, in the game.

I can mainly see it only on people's faces. Hard to get a screenshot of it, since it moves fairly quickly. It looked like a bit of interference, so I thought it was my DVI cable at first, but I was able to test out a few other games, and none are seeing the same problem.

Anyone had this problem at all? It's pretty distracting.

Salaadin

ExMachina said:
Introduces mouse lag, IIRC.

Hmm. I havent noticed it but Im a bad judge for that kinda thing.

coopolon said:
It's also much less dramatic than it is on console, to the point where most people thought it simply wasn't working until a developer responded saying it was and it was intentionally so minor.
That explains why I dont notice a big difference in the SSAO settings. Maybe Ill just turn it off completely then.

SenseiJinx said:

I can mainly see it only on people's faces. Hard to get a screenshot of it, since it moves fairly quickly. It looked like a bit of interference, so I thought it was my DVI cable at first, but I was able to test out a few other games, and none are seeing the same problem.

DId you overclock your GPU at all?

I had a similar static issue in the Witcher 2 that was solved when I removed my GPU overclock. Witcher 2 was the only game with these issues and my GPU still passes any heat/stability tests I throw at it...it just doesnt like TW2 unless at default clock settings.
Something similar here, maybe?

Enco

SenseiJinx said:

Yea I think I get this.

Black spots on the faces of NPCs when you talk to them. Nothing major but it's there.

edit: my gpu is factory overclocked. I haven't touched it

Timber

Hengsha docks and Singapore are near the end of the game. A++ levels, very DX1. Though if you were expecting another hub, I can see how it would be disappointing to some. Honestly though, the game is long enough as it is.

Last level wasn't great. Don't think it was that bad, either. I was thinking about that last area of DX1 with the infinitely respawning spiderbots and the alien monsters roaming the ground floor and the elevators and the asinine objectives, and System Shock 2 with the wading through fleshy gooey muck and moving molar platforming. HR just respects it heritage.

subversus

Timber said:
Last level wasn't great. Don't think it was that bad, either. I was thinking about that last area of DX1 with the infinitely respawning spiderbots and the alien monsters roaming the ground floor and the elevators and the asinine objectives, and System Shock 2 with the wading through fleshy gooey muck and moving molar platforming. HR just respects it heritage.

yeah and Bloodlines.

Enco said:
Yea I think I get this.

Black spots on the faces of NPCs when you talk to them. Nothing major but it's there.

edit: my gpu is factory overclocked. I haven't touched it

Yeah, same thing I was seeing.

Salaadin said:
DId you overclock your GPU at all?

I had a similar static issue in the Witcher 2 that was solved when I removed my GPU overclock. Witcher 2 was the only game with these issues and my GPU still passes any heat/stability tests I throw at it...it just doesnt like TW2 unless at default clock settings.
Something similar here, maybe?

I have overclocked it in the past, but I put it down to stock speeds to see if that would make a difference. Nothing.

I think I found what was causing it, though. I went through all of the settings disabling things until it went away. When I disabled tessellation, it went away completely. Weird! Hopefully there'll be a patch for it or something. Or maybe it's just a compatability problem with my GPU and tesselation? I'm using a GTX 460, which should handle it fine...

Enco

SenseiJinx said:

I have overclocked it in the past, but I put it down to stock speeds to see if that would make a difference. Nothing.

I think I found what was causing it, though. I went through all of the settings disabling things until it went away. When I disabled tessellation, it went away completely. Weird! Hopefully there'll be a patch for it or something. Or maybe it's just a compatability problem with my GPU and tesselation? I'm using a GTX 460, which should handle it fine...
I'm on a 580. I'll be keeping tessellation on. Just because I can :lol

cjsnapp

Neo Member
I'm pretty upset at the fact that on the return trip to Hengsha
I went apeshit to kill everyone and save Malik but didn't have much to take out the mech with. So I reloaded and just snuck past everyone =( Looking back I guess I could have thrown some explosive barrels or something at it but I've put so many more hours past it already.

Planning on doing a second and maybe third playthrough anyways. I'm thinking psychopath first, then a pacifist/foxiest hounds run.

Salaadin

SenseiJinx said:

Not to alarm you but my first ATI 5850 had tesselation issues too. It was perfect outside of DX11 games with tesselation (mainly Dirt 2 since there werent many other DX11 titles at that time) so I ended up downloading Heaven Benchmark and running that on max with DX11/tesselation to see if the issues existed on there as well. They did and one RMAed 5850 later, things are perfect again.

This was more than just simple black spots on faces though. I had artifacts as well as long, stretched out lines that I cant even begin to describe. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Salaadin said:
Not to alarm you but my first ATI 5850 had tesselation issues too. It was perfect outside of DX11 games with tesselation (mainly Dirt 2 since there werent many other DX11 titles at that time) so I ended up downloading Heaven Benchmark and running that on max with DX11/tesselation to see if the issues existed on there as well. They did and one RMAed 5850 later, things are perfect again.

This was more than just simple black spots on faces though. I had artifacts as well as long, stretched out lines that I cant even begin to describe. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Hm, I have run Heaven Benchmark before with this card, with things set high and tessellation on, and didn't have any problems with it. This is the first game that I've seen issues with it.

Enco said:
I'm on a 580. I'll be keeping tessellation on. Just because I can :lol

Yeah, I'm just going to leave tessellation off for now. The game doesn't seem to utilize it much, and the black specks are really annoying. Heh.

stuminus3

Chiggs said:
What gets me is that IW's lighting engine from 7 years ago is more advanced than HR's. Never would have believed that if you told me back in 2004.
Just checked on that, and... holy shit! :-O

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
lol@ some of the AI. I haven't run into it yet because I still haven't been seen yet (mostly), but some of the stuff on youtube is rather hilarious.

Mindlog

Tweakinig the augs part 1:
The default radar should not have arrows and should refresh more slowly. Arrows and live refresh should be benefits in their respective aug trees.

Rufus

Mindlog said:
Tweakinig the augs part 1:
The default radar should not have arrows and should refresh more slowly. Arrows and live refresh should be benefits in their respective aug trees.
Yeah, the arrows make the vision cone aug completely redundant.

SenseiJinx said:

You have an nvidia GPU.
You are using DX11.
You have MLAA enabled.

Am I right? If I am, switch to FXAA.

Nixxes Software works with nvidia to resolve the issue with a patch/driver.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
These games are like my time kryptonite. I spent most of the morning in the police station just looking around and getting stuff. I'd reload after messing around and tripping alarms. I meant to knock out a guy and punched him over the 2nd floor balcony to the room full of policeman below lol.

angular graphics said:
You have an nvidia GPU.
You are using DX11.
You have MLAA enabled.

Am I right? If I am, switch to FXAA.

Nixxes Software works with nvidia to resolve the issue with a patch/driver.

Awesome, that did it. I can leave tessellation on if I switch to FXAA. Thanks!

Trojita said:
These games are like my time kryptonite. I spent most of the morning in the police station just looking around and getting stuff. I'd reload after messing around and tripping alarms. I meant to knock out a guy and punched him over the 2nd floor balcony to the room full of policeman below lol.
Yeah I clocked in at about 31 hours for my whole playthrough. Definitely a game where you want to take your time.

Just installed the PC version and it is stuttering like a motherfucker. It'll be smooth 60fps at times, then, for no apparent reason, will suddenly stutter horribly, regardless of graphics settings. Anyone else having this problem?

So a couple pages back i noted that during my attempted pacifist run I managed to "kill" some people. It seems like gang members in particular are vulnerable to a glitch that SAYS they are dead when in fact they are not. I probably "killed" about 4 people but none of them actually counted and i successfully got my pacifist trophy

now to do my gruff mc badass kill em all run while simultaneously getting foxiest of the hounds. We will see how that goes hah

Doodis

Without going through all 300 pages of this thread, is there any consensus on what augs to get or to avoid? I keep stockpiling my praxis points because I'm afraid to upgrade the wrong thing.

Onion_Relish said:
So a couple pages back i noted that during my attempted pacifist run I managed to "kill" some people. It seems like gang members in particular are vulnerable to a glitch that SAYS they are dead when in fact they are not. I probably "killed" about 4 people but none of them actually counted and i successfully got my pacifist trophy

now to do my gruff mc badass kill em all run while simultaneously getting foxiest of the hounds. We will see how that goes hah

quoting myself for a new page. Just to make sure that anyone one else doing pacifist isnt too scared

As long as you get the merciful bonus (ie: non lethal) anything showing up as dead should be fine.

On a side note, during the
saving malik mission
i noticed that if i threw an emp at the giant walking robot the guard behind it would die due to the self destruct sequence. Not sure if that would have counted against me as I immediately rebooted and shot him and dragged him off far enough so that he wouldnt die, but that might be one that is a deal breaker

Doodis said:
Without going through all 300 pages of this thread, is there any consensus on what augs to get or to avoid? I keep stockpiling my praxis points because I'm afraid to upgrade the wrong thing.

mark and track is pretty useless
fortify buffs are pretty useless
enabling silence buffs are pretty useless as if youre cloaked guys will be alarmed but not actually press an alarm

And then certain ones are better than others depending on play style
recoil and aiming are worthless for stealth runs but great for lethal runs

I would say the crucial ones are reflex booster, icarus landing, seeing through walls, inventory space and battery augments. Those are all pretty crucial regardless of your play style.

Top Bottom