• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

_RT_

Picked this up for my kinda sorta there PC and I'm just not really digging the keyboard and mouse for this game. Really wish I had gone the ps3 route.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
PairOfFilthySocks said:
Just installed the PC version and it is stuttering like a motherfucker. It'll be smooth 60fps at times, then, for no apparent reason, will suddenly stutter horribly, regardless of graphics settings. Anyone else having this problem?

Yep, sometimes the game will just freeze, other times, microstutters.

I'm not sure why it happens either.

abunai

_RT_ said:
Picked this up for my kinda sorta there PC and I'm just not really digging the keyboard and mouse for this game. Really wish I had gone the ps3 route.

use your ps3 controller with your pc then

Doodis

Onion_Relish said:
mark and track is pretty useless
fortify buffs are pretty useless
enabling silence buffs are pretty useless as if youre cloaked guys will be alarmed but not actually press an alarm

And then certain ones are better than others depending on play style
recoil and aiming are worthless for stealth runs but great for lethal runs

I would say the crucial ones are reflex booster, icarus landing, seeing through walls, inventory space and battery augments. Those are all pretty crucial regardless of your play style.

Thanks. I put several points into fortify already. :(

Trojita said:
These games are like my time kryptonite. I spent most of the morning in the police station just looking around and getting stuff. I'd reload after messing around and tripping alarms. I meant to knock out a guy and punched him over the 2nd floor balcony to the room full of policeman below lol.

Yeah, I'm just in the streets of Detroit and am already at 7 hours. Really taking my time.

Speaking of Detroit, I love it. They did such a good job with it. Seems much more alive and organic than the hubs in the original. Seems like there's so much to do, and so many neat secrets to find. Ton of fun.

Dresden

Trying to do the 2nd playthrough but I just can't. Great game still, though. Wish I hadn't done the pacifist/deus ex playthrough for my first run.

Dresden

darkpaladinmfc said:
Do an easy/psychopath-who-punches-everyone-in-the-game- run.
User33 said:
Try a sociopath run?
That's what I was trying to do - no sneaking, killing everything, all lethal takedowns, no hacking even - but it's still boring. I might go play the OG DX, though.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Take a break and come back later. There is no point in forcing it.

Edit: Not sure if it was already posted here.

i-jJRZhDr-XL.jpg

KorrZ

YES!!! Foxiest/Pacifist/Give me Deus Ex achievements finally completed. Now it's time to start my third playthrough as a murdering sociopath and snag up the rest.

Solo

Gamer @ Heart said:
I love the game, and will continue to love the game, but i am already sensing the dying hype on here on gaf. How long till the cycle completes itself and people systematically begin to put down the game as good but not great, as opposed to the heaps of praise of those first couple days?

Precisely what it is. Although I would say its VERY good. But its not a stone cold classic like DX.

I think the game could have done without the return to Detroit and Hengsha, personally. The gameplay itself can become visibly repetitive after 11 hours and it doesn't help that the locations are almost always identical to one another. Technically you're taken to several locations, but 80% of the actual game play takes place inside buildings - or specifically - around walls and behind boxes and objects.

The conversations (dialogue) are boring and you'll find yourself pressing the X/Square button to skip them. The only thing regarding the dialogue that I enjoy are the interact moments when you can use your aug to 'read' the individual's personality traits.

However I'm constantly drawn to the game; the stealth gameplay really sells it. Two days ago I would have said this game is mindblowing, but after some contemplation and more gametime, it's a very good game but I found myself enjoying Fallout and Mass Effect far more. My complaint is that it is just too repetitive in gameplay, environment and the narrative/characters quickly become uninteresting.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Meus Renaissance said:
I think the game could have done without the return to Detroit and Hengsha, personally. The gameplay itself can become visibly repetitive after 11 hours and it doesn't help that the locations are almost always identical to one another. Technically you're taken to several locations, but 80% of the actual game play takes place inside buildings - or specifically - around walls and behind boxes and objects.

The conversations (dialogue) are boring and you'll find yourself pressing the X/Square button to skip them. The only thing regarding the dialogue that I enjoy are the interact moments when you can use your aug to 'read' the individual's personality traits.

However I'm constantly drawn to the game; the stealth gameplay really sells it. Two days ago I would have said this game is mindblowing, but after some contemplation and more gametime, it's a very good game but I found myself enjoying Fallout and Mass Effect far more. My complaint is that it is just too repetitive in gameplay, environment and the narrative/characters quickly become uninteresting.

Really? I loved the convention center level. In fact, most of the major locations were very memorable to me, even more so than in the first game (although there were far more stages in Deus Ex).

Solo said:
Precisely what it is. Although I would say its VERY good. But its not a stone cold classic like DX.

Game needs time to become a "Classic". I can see DX HR to becoming a classic in a few years, esp. if other developers won't follow.

Btw, after all that racist controversy I went and talked to Tabitha - did you know that when you give her 4 bottles of beer you get a PDA? :D

Solo

I think it might be high time to replay IW. Unlike DX which I play almost annually and have beaten like 10 times, I only beat IW once in 2004.

Zefah said:
Really? I loved the convention center level. In fact, most of the major locations were very memorable to me, even more so than in the first game (although there were far more stages in Deus Ex).

If that's the building where you see the sunset/sunrise, then I agree.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dresden said:
Trying to do the 2nd playthrough but I just can't. Great game still, though. Wish I hadn't done the pacifist/deus ex playthrough for my first run.
Maybe it was because my save deleted, but same problem

Pimpbaa

Chiggs said:
Your alignment with the factions and the ability to kill of major characters?

What gets me is that IW's lighting engine from 7 years ago is more advanced than HR's. Never would have believed that if you told me back in 2004.

That's like saying Doom 3 had better lighting than current games. Sure it looked nice, but you would have to make too many sacrifices on current console hardware.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Just returned to Detroit after beating the second boss with 21 hours clocked in. The boss reminded me of another boss I'd fought in a different game, but I'm not sure what. The best I could come up with is the
Vamp fight in MGS2.
I was more prepared than the first boss, but I still found it annoying and lame.

Lakitu

st5fu
Completed it today. Not a huge fan of the last mission (
the psychopathic crazy workers running after me at any given opportunity gave me hell on my stealthy playthrough
). But all in all, incredible game and experience. Looking forward to do a no-kill playthrough now.

Meus Renaissance said:

I find it really odd that you critique HR for repetitive gameplay then praise Fallout and Mass Effect.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
So I finished, and a very good game overall though I would refrain from using the word great. Could've done with more hubs, I thought there were going to be more than just the two.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Spirit of Jazz said:
I find it really odd that you critique HR for repetitive gameplay then praise Fallout and Mass Effect.

Mass Effect 2, in particular. Goddamn, everything but the conversations in that game was so boring.

Spirit of Jazz said:

Fallout is a more conventional RPG, at least in its emphasis on exploration of vast areas. Mass Effect's dialogue interaction was brilliantly done, and the combat scenes were fun; I can't say the same for Deus Ex. Despite that, you're right, those games also suffer from repetitive elements but the difference is traversing through the environment, or in other words the non-combat gameplay, in those titles are more diverse than what we have here.

Detroit and Heng Sha, individually, have more atmosphere and more detail than any level on Mass Effect or Fallout. But once you've seen one sewer, and gone through all the alleys and staircases and streets, you really don't want to have to traverse through it again. It's a small area and you're effectively walking through it countless times to get from Point A to Point C, to Point B. I'm talking specifically about having to revisit these locations. First time experiencing them was great, I was hoping for more locations but then you're brought back and eventually all you see after that are walls and boxes. At one point I was in Singapore? I think there were wired gates and a lot of crates. At the end, the atmosphere I felt in the first 2 hours in the game eventually evaporated sadly.

Those are the negatives, though. I look forward to replaying this game in the next few months - I'm a sucker for stealth gameplay.

Solo

Castor Krieg said:
Game needs time to become a "Classic".

I dunno. When I played DX in 2000 it was an instant classic for me. Same with HL2 in 2004 or Red Dead Redemption in 2010 - games I knew I'd still be enamored with 10 years down the line.

Wallach

Solo said:
I dunno. When I played DX in 2000 it was an instant classic for me. Same with HL2 in 2004 or Red Dead Redemption in 2010 - games I knew I'd still be enamored with 10 years down the line.

I feel like my reaction to my first DX play and my first DX:HR play are kind of similar, though the overall experience has been a bit more favorable with the latter. Really great games with a few really significant flaws. For me DX:HR's main flaws are just more palatable, and the things that I think DX does better than DX:HR I don't think resonate with me as much as the things that DX:HR does better than DX.

It doesn't help that I fucking hate the entire Area 51 and aliens shit from the first game. Such a stain on the plot of that game.

Doodis said:
Thanks. I put several points into fortify already. :(

the only benefit to that is that the stronger the fortify the less you have to put into hacking efficiency (ie: less chance of getting discovered). Even if youre discovered you can buy yourself the time that you didnt get from the hacking efficiency with bigger walls for the tracer program to bust through, but yeah, stop putting points into fortify. All you need is hacking level and hacking efficiency

Solo said:

Oh man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efIItnkyLr4

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Damn, I have never been that perplexed in a game.

I need to decide. The one I want to choose is linked with the man I despise. But it's the most sane and neutral choice. Although the game won't be over and this will be a shameful copout.

But I don't want to choose that 4th ending. Something feels wrong about it.

Okay, I'm kind of stuck and need a little help. Second hub sidequest spoilers:

So I'm in the middle of doing the Shanghai Justice sidequest for Malik. I interrogate Lee, get him to confess. All is well. Except now Malik wants me to hack a level 3 terminal. I have not upgraded my hack skill above level 2. I have no available Praxis points, so I think to myself, I'll just do the Tai Yong Medical mission, get some experience, and I'll level up my hacking. Except it says I lose all sidequests if I board the shuttle. So am I fucked? I even looked online to see if there was a code for the particular terminal as an absolute last resort, but apparently there isn't. It looks like I just apparently lost this quest now. That's annoying.

Incendiary said:

So I'm in the middle of doing the Shanghai Justice sidequest for Malik. I interrogate Lee, get him to confess. All is well. Except now Malik wants me to hack a level 3 terminal. I have not upgraded my hack skill above level 2. I have no available Praxis points, so I think to myself, I'll just do the Tai Yong Medical mission, get some experience, and I'll level up my hacking. Except it says I lose all sidequests if I board the shuttle. So am I fucked? I even looked online to see if there was a code for the particular terminal as an absolute last resort, but apparently there isn't. It looks like I just apparently lost this quest now. That's annoying.
Have you knocked out the
bartender in The Hive
? He carries a praxis point, just do it
in the bar outside the vision of the camera

SlickVic

Tattooth said:
I haven't been keeping up with this thread recently, but does anyone else get really bad stuttering on the pc version?

I get some stuttering when I first load up the game but it seems to go away for the most part after 5-10 minutes.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
that was awesome

what the fuck with people who hated endings (I only saw one) and the last level?! everything was excellent.

I'll post my detailed impressions tommorow. There are some cons (boss fights aren't one of them btw) and a lot of pros. All I can say for now is that it is my GOTY. I never thought that this game could beat The Witcher 2 in my mind. Both games are excellent but I think there's more passion in Deus Ex. TW2 just had to build on success while Deus Ex had to prove itself. And it did.

Also I waited until the end of credits and was rewarded!!

Danne-Danger said:
Have you knocked out the
bartender in The Hive
? He carries a praxis point, just do it
in the bar outside the vision of the camera

I already did the Bar Tab mission and got a Praxis point from him that way. Can I knock him out and get another one?

Stet

Banned
Holy shit,
saving Malik
nonlethally was the hardest thing I've had to do in this game up until this point. I probably screwed up my Foxiest of the Hounds achievement because the guards got "Hostile," but it was totally worth it.

I feel like the entire setting of the game felt grounded in reality, especially the ending.

FINAL BOSS:
Most games have you up against some super crazy mecha, and this was quite subdued. Having humans being integrated into the machinery was nice reversal from the science of augmentation. Also (stolen from TVTropes), in the battle with Zhao, she attaches herself to the Hyron Project quantum computer, and the interface cables resemble wings. She realizes she can't handle the Hyron's power, and when Adam shoots her she burns up like Icarus.

Incendiary said:
I already did the Bar Tab mission and got a Praxis point from him that way. Can I knock him out and get another one?
Not sure! Probably not though. Haha, I knew there was something more to that guy. :D

Chiggs said:
Your alignment with the factions and the ability to kill of major characters?

What gets me is that IW's lighting engine from 7 years ago is more advanced than HR's. Never would have believed that if you told me back in 2004.

Believe

lhkww.gif

Deus Ex did a lot of things right over the ordinal & HR.

Incendiary said:

You may be able to look for the code online - I believe they're fixed.

KorrZ

I've never played IW. Is it even worth bothering? $10 on Steam atm. The UI looks terrible is the only thing I can pick up from the screenshots on the Steam page.

paparazzo

Just beat the second boss, no idea how long it's taken me since the save doesn't tell you (PS3). About how far am I? Incredible game, but I'm also excited to start a second playthrough.

Top Bottom