• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

StMeph

Honestly, the game started out great. It began on a really high note. High enough for me to dispense with sleep -- about 5 hours combined between two days -- to play the game after work. But then things slowed down.

I feel like Picus was the turning point where the game went from great to just good. It shed the city hubs and immediately passed from one setpiece to the next (Highland Park also didn't sit too well with me for being staged that way). On top of that, the design of Picus wasn't too different from the upper areas of TYM. It just felt too much like doing the same area all over again.

After that you
return to places where you've already been, so new sidequests and Praxis Kits aside, there's nothing really new to discover except some walls that strangely have regenerated. Detroit was at least handled well, but the return to Hengsha really didn't add much, and the Harvesters' Lair felt lazy. Harried along to the docks, and then off again to Omega Ranch.
Go go go; while it might have been the view of the developers that constantly pushing you forward to the next setpiece would crescendo toward the climax, I felt instead like it was poorly paced.

So the return to
Hengsha
I would say was when I felt like the game went from good to mediocre. At that point the game has just about shown you all there is to see; no new mechanics, no new abilities (so much Praxis), no new environmental hazards.

And then there was the end where it falls from grace and ends south of mediocre. It throws away all earlier mechanics, offers a totally disposable final boss, and then bludgeons you in the face with the most simplistic and blunt choices for the ending -- re-explained again if you couldn't remember what you were just told. I don't really have a huge complaint with the actual endings, just the way they were presented.

I ended the game with over 180,000 XP, so that's 36 Praxis. With 10 Praxis available for sale, and at least 5 more (I lost this count) from environmental loot and sidequest rewards, that's over 41 Praxis points. I'm sure I missed a couple more, too.

The first half of the game is amazing. Some of the best that's been available all year, and is enough on its own to carry the rest of the game and make the whole game still worth experiencing. But it definitely loses its charm when it speeds everything up without presenting any new challenges while you grow increasingly overpowered.

Chiggs

Gold Member
StMeph said:
Honestly, the game started out great. It began on a really high note. High enough for me to dispense with sleep -- about 5 hours combined between two days -- to play the game after work. But then things slowed down.

I feel like Picus was the turning point where the game went from great to just good. It shed the city hubs and immediately passed from one setpiece to the next (Highland Park also didn't sit too well with me for being staged that way). On top of that, the design of Picus wasn't too different from the upper areas of TYM. It just felt too much like doing the same area all over again.

After that you
return to places where you've already been, so new sidequests and Praxis Kits aside, there's nothing really new to discover except some walls that strangely have regenerated. Detroit was at least handled well, but the return to Hengsha really didn't add much, and the Harvesters' Lair felt lazy. Harried along to the docks, and then off again to Omega Ranch.
Go go go; while it might have been the view of the developers that constantly pushing you forward to the next setpiece would crescendo toward the climax, I felt instead like it was poorly paced.

So the return to
Hengsha
I would say was when I felt like the game went from good to mediocre. At that point the game has just about shown you all there is to see; no new mechanics, no new abilities (so much Praxis), no new environmental hazards.

And then there was the end where it falls from grace and ends south of mediocre. It throws away all earlier mechanics, offers a totally disposable final boss, and then bludgeons you in the face with the most simplistic and blunt choices for the ending -- re-explained again if you couldn't remember what you were just told. I don't really have a huge complaint with the actual endings, just the way they were presented.

I ended the game with over 180,000 XP, so that's 36 Praxis. With 10 Praxis available for sale, and at least 5 more (I lost this count) from environmental loot and sidequest rewards, that's over 41 Praxis points. I'm sure I missed a couple more, too.

The first half of the game is amazing. Some of the best that's been available all year, and is enough on its own to carry the rest of the game and make the whole game still worth experiencing. But it definitely loses its charm when it speeds everything up without presenting any new challenges while you grow increasingly overpowered.

Good writeup. Return to Hengsha is where I started to lose interest. The story became laughable and poorly told and I didn't like the missions that were presented.

In some ways, this game is nearly as flawed as Invisible War.

Nome

SenseiJinx said:
Adam's apartment was so well done. I felt it gave a lot of character to him...the food strewn throughout the apartment, the unmade bed, the broken mirror. The stacks of books and mechanical parts and electronics on his desk. The pictures of him in SWAT, and with Megan. I felt a real human side to him.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. I've played 9 hours, and haven't even gotten
to the police station yet.
Is that normal, or am I really taking my time? Honestly, I don't really want things to end, and I'm just poking around every nook and cranny. And it feels like there's so much to do and see just in Detroit. I have that compulsive drive to talk to everybody at least twice to see if they say anything different. Heh. Good RPG's always do that to me.

The game is really beautiful. The yellowish brown filter doesn't bother me so much once I started playing. The character models and animations are pretty painful to watch, but beyond that I really, really like the look of this game. I wish it ran a bit better though, seems to be a bit jerky from time to time.

It feels like Deus Ex, through and through. I honestly was worried. But Eidos has done a fantastic job, as far as I'm concerned. Not sure if it will surpass the first for me, but it doesn't need to really, and I never expected it to. Seriously, I feel like they got nearly ever single "Deus Ex-ey" detail spot on. I can tell that the developers really knew the source material.

You're definitely taking your time. But that's the right way to play the game!

Heavy said:
Question: Has anyone not used the crazy OP silenced10mm with piercing during most of your playthrough (assuming you're not going pacifist)? Like it's not even in your inventory. How's your experience been so far? Which weap do you find to be the next best and with what attachments... Revolver + laser + explosive? Machine Pistol + laser + silencer + curve bullets? Combat rifle + whatever it gets? The Shotty?

For Stealth walkthrough I decided to roll with only Revolver and Tranq Rifle, I want to have enough space in the inventory and carrying 3 weapons instead of 2 really limits your possibilities. Plus, I never fully upgraded the revolver because the pistol takes so many upgrades.

I one part where you don't care about being stealthy (
Malik's rescue
) you can just blow all of them with one revolver shot, easy as hell, probably even less aiming required than with 10mm.

StMeph said:

After that you

So the return to
Hengsha

Would you rather the game did not revisit Detroit & Hengsha & just ended after TYM level with the ending tacked on?
I mean it would have still felt like a complete game in length by then.

StMeph

See You Next Wednesday said:
Would you rather the game did not revisit Detroit & Hengsha & just ended after TYM level with the ending tacked on?
I mean it would have still felt like a complete game in length by then.

Hmm. I like the way Detroit was handled. It was story related, and
the rioting
suited the plot and themes.

But if it ended there, it would be a tough call. I feel like it could have been adjusted around to make for a tighter narrative, but without the global conspiratorial intrigue, would it still be Deus Ex?

In my ideal version, Montreal would be fleshed out as a full hub instead, as originally intended. After the events of TYM, you would fly to Picus, and do the first part same as before --
look for Eliza in the empty offices, and then escape.
Except you would escape to the city itself, and then have to find a way back in
to access the Illuminati sub-basement.
A new hub would mean new secret nooks to sniff out, and a new contrasting aesthetic to Detroit and Hengsha. One thing I really have to commend Eidos Montreal for has been the art direction and attention to detail in their world building, so naturally I want more of it.

The other issue is still in its mechanics. The game just didn't get any harder while you got more powerful, and there weren't any new kinds of threats to throw against you. If they would have found ways to make the later levels more engaging, it would have sucked less, too.

Card Boy

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I feel kind of inspired to replay Invisible War after this. It gets a lot of hate, but it was my first Deus Ex game and I enjoyed it.

Same, i will pick it up when its $2.50 again at the next Steam sale.

malfcn

Annoyed with
shanghai justice mission.
Does this actually require hacking? Everything else I have been able to sleuth or get around.

thetechkid

malfcn said:
Annoyed with
Does this actually require hacking? Everything else I have been able to sleuth or get around.

I think so,
I just blackmailed Lee and Malik is saying the last thing I need to do is hack the wall panel on the other side of the room. I tried looking for a personal secretary but I can't find one that gives the code.
My hacking skills aren't very high but I don't wanna just upgrade them for this mission alone. :(

Nome

If you don't wanna be arsed with hacking, just buy one of the automatic lock picker things. They're cheap and will fry any panel.

thetechkid said:
I have yet to see such an item in this game.
malfcn said:
Lingitiz said:
Is this a preorder bonus or something?

Pre-order exclusive.

Btw, anyone know the best EXP combo for getting the Police Station done? I just discovered that if you skip using CASIE on
Tyndall
and do what he wants you are better off by 1000EXP points in the end. I'm wondering if the same applies to Police Station.

I forgot to check my email before a certain point and missed out on the final achievement in my second run lol

stealth playthough was waaaaaay better than shooter playthrough. shooter playthrough was still surprisingly fun.

third run will be non-lethal hybrid. no more worrying about alerting guards, but no more murdering everyone.

guys - got the armour piercing upgrade for my pistol - but it wont let me apply it? the combine item is greyed out. any idea why this is? it says its for the 10mm pistol but it wont let me put it on?

malfcn said:
Annoyed with

thetechkid said:
I think so,
I just blackmailed Lee and Malik is saying the last thing I need to do is hack the wall panel on the other side of the room. I tried looking for a personal secretary but I can't find one that gives the code.
My hacking skills aren't very high but I don't wanna just upgrade them for this mission alone. :(

That's the part I was complaining about being stuck at just a few hours ago earlier in the thread. Yeah, it requires hacking. As far as my vast Google-fu is concerned, there is no code for that panel. I ended up having to upgrade, and even then the actual hacking is a bitch, I needed a nuke and a stop! worm just to make it through.

Really really loved the
Picus
mission. I think it's probably the best in the game thus far. The stealth was so intense, especially the last few rooms with tons of guards, cameras and robots patrolling. I loved slipping into the cloak and shadowing the guards to get past the laser grids, very reminiscent of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory's bank heist mission. The terminals were also well written -
really gave you an idea of how corrupt and evil a corporation they were
. One story element I didn't get though was
why did Elisa trick you initially and then later help you? I understand the latter because of the Illuminati twist, but she could have possibly avoided the former and made Adam's life easier

Finished this up earlier tonight. All in all I think it's a very good game with some really glaring flaws.

- Hostile AI is just piss poor. Some sort of advanced tactics on their part would have gone a long way.

- The boss fights were awful and felt out of place.

- I didn't like how hubs were ditched and you were just pushed from area to area towards the end of the game.

Even still i really enjoyed dragging the incapacitated into vents in front of their mates. Made me feel like an alien.

Eusis

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I feel kind of inspired to replay Invisible War after this. It gets a lot of hate, but it was my first Deus Ex game and I enjoyed it.
I haven't played through it seriously, BUT regardless of quality I'd wait until another sale. The series has gone on sale for $5 together for more than a few times $2.50 as Gez indicated, and I don't see IW entering the same territory as Vampire Bloodlines in rarely ever going on sale. Only reason to get it now is if you played through this and the original and are craving something more NOW... and hell, it's probably not a bad idea to distance it anyway.

Coxswain

Heavy said:
Question: Has anyone not used the crazy OP silenced10mm with piercing during most of your playthrough (assuming you're not going pacifist)? Like it's not even in your inventory. How's your experience been so far? Which weap do you find to be the next best and with what attachments... Revolver + laser + explosive? Machine Pistol + laser + silencer + curve bullets? Combat rifle + whatever it gets? The Shotty?
On my lethal playthrough, I used the Revolver (+laser + explosive rounds + maxed 'generic' upgrades) for heavy enemies and robots, with the Combat Rifle (+laser +silencer +leftover generics) for light and medium enemies.

The Combat Rifle basically ends up being a less overpowered, more versatile pistol; its headshots won't one-shot enemies with helmets, but you can fire in full-auto, and with the augs that eliminate recoil, it's a steady stream of bullets that all hit the exact same spot, which is pretty cool.
The Revolver, once upgraded, is basically the hand of god. At the end of TYM, when
all those soldiers bust in to ambush you in Zhao's penthouse
, I just emptied the clip into the crowd without really bothering to aim, and by the time I had to reload, there were just two heavies left, half dead and stumbling around from the force of the explosions. The only problem with the revolver (other than noise, if you're a wimp and care about stealth on your lethal playthrough) is that it's pretty much impossible to have enough ammo to use it on everything you run into. You need a backup weapon, which is not really the case with the 10mm, Combat Rifle, or (I'm guessing) Machine Pistol.

I carried the Rocket Launcher around for a huge section of the game to use on bosses, but I ended up finding it less effective and less fun than the Revolver anyway. The Plasma Rifle is really cool, but by the time you get it there aren't really any tough enemies to use it on so it feels like a bit of a waste. The Laser Rifle is pretty similar, except that I found it feels a little more appropriate to use on the enemies in the last area, as they're weak and you can use an appropriately small amount of ammo to kill them.

Castor Krieg said:
Pre-order exclusive.

Btw, anyone know the best EXP combo for getting the Police Station done? I just discovered that if you skip using CASIE on
Tyndall
and do what he wants you are better off by 1000EXP points in the end. I'm wondering if the same applies to Police Station.
I'm not sure about XP rewards, but in quite a few places the CASIE mod (at least the pheromone function) is just a way to get things done more quickly, rather than more effectively. It's not the best way to handle a fair number of the situations where it can be used - in the police station, using it on the desk sergeant instead of actually out-talking him normally results in a pretty different (less friendly) outcome.

Alright I'm done. The third boss fight is impossible, and you are all insane. Some people in this thread are going "Phffft, I beat him in 15 seconds"

15 SECONDS IS THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF TIME I'VE MANAGED TO STAY ALIVE

And that I achieved by constantly running and cloaking without even trying to attack the boss.

I have a wide variety of weapons available to me. I have the stun gun, some EMP grenades, the PEPS gun, assault rifle, pistol, machine pistol and the like, BUT I CANNOT USE ANY OF IT BECAUSE THE FIGHT STARTS AND I DIE.

Fuck this game. Seriously. I don't plan on going back and getting killed the 901st time.

It amazes me how shit like this can exist quietly while Demon's Souls gets contantly chastized for being made for masochistic maniacs. Demon's Souls seems kind of pisseasy now, because at least that game gave me a chance.

So yeah, I'm too bad at video games to enjoy this game anymore, I'll go back to waiting for Dark Souls.

KAOz

Short bus special
Onion_Relish said:
I didnt actually talk to wayne haas, because i know the trophy is disabled if you just stroll through the station, but yeah i know it should be fine, just dont want to do a 4th run just for one trophy

I guess you are talking about Foxiest of the Hounds trophy? It doesn't get disabled for talking to him. Strolling through is the easiest way to come in, and get all the stuff. And you're not setting off an alarm then. So, yeah, you do kind of get a Smooth Operator for it.

At least that's how I did on my Foxiest playtrough. And got it.

Ventilaator said:
Alright I'm done. The third boss fight is impossible, and you are all insane. Some people in this thread are going "Phffft, I beat him in 15 seconds"

And that I achieved by constantly running and cloaking without even trying to attack the boss.

I have a wide variety of weapons available to me. I have the stun gun, some EMP grenades, the PEPS gun, assault rifle, pistol, machine pistol and the like, BUT I CANNOT USE ANY OF IT BECAUSE THE FIGHT STARTS AND I DIE.

Fuck this game. Seriously. I don't plan on going back and getting killed the 901st time.

It amazes me how shit like this can exist quietly while Demon's Souls gets contantly chastized for being made for masochistic maniacs. Demon's Souls seems kind of pisseasy now, because at least that game gave me a chance.

So yeah, I'm too bad at video games to enjoy this game anymore, I'll go back to waiting for Dark Souls.

play on easy man?

i dont think this game is THAT hard. ive died a few times and had to reload a few games but i never thought it was THAT difficult. Do you have the Typhoon? it really does hurt the bosses big time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ventilaator said:

You don't die the moment you start, because the boss doesn't immediatly attack. Toss an EMP grenade, run to the side so you don't get hit. Then go and shoot the boss up with whatever. Repeat. You can die in one hit(especially with no armor upgrades), but the attack is telegraphed and you just need to back off more. It's really easy to run away from this particular boss and regain health, so it's a good idea to save.

Ventilaator said:

Drop the difficulty to easy mode.

Also, I do agree that the game kind of lags a bit at the end.

It's not like I don't appreciate lengthy - meaty games. I just think they kind of ran out of ideas at the end. But, it was still fun, because while you weren't presented with anything new - what was there was established fun.

Ken

Ventilaator said:

Typhoon?

If no Typhoon, then it's just cover > EMP/stun > shoot.

Help

I am trying to save Farrida in a no-kill run. My stun gun has zero fucking ammo, but I have plenty of peps and tranq ammo. I am trying to use the fucking aim assistant on tranq gun, but it still doesnt seem to fucking work!

Deus Ex: Invisible War had a really fantastic bit of music at the main menu screen. Then you chose the New Game option and it was literally all downhill from there.

Ken

The_Inquisitor said:
Help

I am trying to save Farrida in a no-kill run. My stun gun has zero fucking ammo, but I have plenty of peps and tranq ammo. I am trying to use the fucking aim assistant on tranq gun, but it still doesnt seem to fucking work!

For aim assistant, don't you just aim for the smaller white circle and move that within the larger white circle for a hit?

Since most of the enemies have helmets and armor though, it takes a few extra seconds for the tranquilizer to take effect.

Treemonkeys said:
You can tranq some of them but you're going to need enough energy regen items to sprint and do lots of takedowns, how I did it at least.

And an EMP grenade.

The_Inquisitor said:
I have 1 2-bar energy pack. I have a save back in detroit, would the clinic be open for selling me food?

Think so.

The_Inquisitor said:
Help

You can tranq some of them but you're going to need enough energy regen items to sprint and do lots of takedowns, how I did it at least.

Treemonkeys said:

I have 1 2-bar energy pack. I have a save back in detroit, would the clinic be open for selling me food?

Papercuts

Ventilaator said:
Thanks for that, that worked.

It's pretty stupid that it worked, and my view of this game is still tarnished because that isn't supposed to work, and I still find normally fighting him to be impossible.

But it worked.

If you did what he did in the video, you moved over to the wall and didn't "immediately die". The boss starts that fight the same way every time.

syoaran

The_Inquisitor said:
Help

I had the same problem in my first playthough, I gave up.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The_Inquisitor said:
Help

Don't bother with the aim assist. Just aim for the bodies if the heads are too far away or too small a target, they'll go down eventually. Your main focus should be the heavies on the ground, then the guys on the right, then the guys on the left, then the tank.

Some tips:

One EMP grenade or mine will one-shot the tank. Don't have one? There are about 4 explosive barrels scattered throughout the map, throw them as you go along, and finish off the tank with one of the heavy rifles. Of course, do this fast.

Don't bother with the topmost guy on the right side, climbing the ladder takes too much time. Just tranq him. I usually leave him for the very last. The topmost guy on the left side can be accessed with stairs.

If you have the jumping aug you can also start immediately on the right side since there's a dumpster you can jump on that'll take you right to the second floor of the right building. There's about 3 guys here.

Since your stun gun is out, you'll want to rely on takedowns. If you just have one battery, use it on one of the heavies. If you have a gas grenade, use it on the other heavy. Get in close and headshot quickly with the tranq rifle for the normal soldiers.

EDIT:
The_Inquisitor said:

There's also a lot of energy packs hidden in Sarif Industries.

Papercuts said:
If you did what he did in the video, you moved over to the wall and didn't "immediately die". The boss starts that fight the same way every time.

I also said that I managed to stay alive for 15 seconds by just running and never stopping. I count running away and getting killed without even seeing the boss as "immediately dieing"

Sub_Level said:
Don't bother with the aim assist. Just aim for the bodies if the heads are too far away or too small a target, they'll go down eventually. Your main focus should be the heavies on the ground, then the guys on the right, then the guys on the left, then the tank.

Some tips:

One EMP grenade or mine will one-shot the tank. Don't have one? There are about 4 explosive barrels scattered throughout the map, throw them as you go along, and finish off the tank with one of the heavy rifles. Of course, do this fast.

Don't bother with the topmost guy on the right side, climbing the ladder takes too much time. Just tranq him. I usually leave him for the very last. The topmost guy on the left side can be accessed with stairs.

If you have the jumping aug you can also start immediately on the right side since there's a dumpster you can jump on that'll take you right to the second floor of the right building. There's about 3 guys here.

Since your stun gun is out, you'll want to rely on takedowns. If you just have one battery, use it on one of the heavies. If you have a gas grenade, use it on the other heavy. Get in close and headshot quickly with the tranq rifle for the normal soldiers.

EDIT:

There's also a lot of energy packs hidden in Sarif Industries.

So I kind of just found the helipad stash on a whim. I now have 10 stun gun darts. I do have the jump upgrade so I will try that path. Standby.

Edit2: Shit, almost had it first try. Try 2 underway.

Papercuts

Ventilaator said:
I also said that I managed to stay alive for 15 seconds by just running and never stopping. I count running away and getting killed without even seeing the boss as "immediately dieing"

If you run to the wall the boss can't hit you. All he does is jump the wall, wait, throw a grenade/charge a shot, which is plenty of time to attack. There's never a reason to ALWAYS run from him, there's nothing he can do to you.

Papercuts said:
There's never a reason to ALWAYS run from him, there's nothing he can do to you.

If I stopped to shoot at him I died. If I stopped from running away I got blown up by a grenade or disabled long enough by an EMP grenade for him to still kill me. The logical conclusion I drew from that was to keep moving. That gave me 15 seconds worth of time to attempt the glitch as shown in the video.

Top Bottom