• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

KorrZ said:
I've never played IW. Is it even worth bothering? $10 on Steam atm. The UI looks terrible is the only thing I can pick up from the screenshots on the Steam page.
I'd say so yes. Melee is stupidly overpowered, it's quite fun to run through once.

*$10 is a little steep these days though.

Deadbeat

Banned
The Skater said:
Just beat the second boss, no idea how long it's taken me since the save doesn't tell you (PS3). About how far am I? Incredible game, but I'm also excited to start a second playthrough.
You are probably 2/3rds now.

The Skater said:
Just beat the second boss, no idea how long it's taken me since the save doesn't tell you (PS3). About how far am I? Incredible game, but I'm also excited to start a second playthrough.
Like 60%.

Neiteio

I also just beat the second boss.
Sadly, there was no hot Eliza lovemaking scene. I don't care if she's a hologram, dammit.

So far, I think the game's greatest feat is its understated presentation. It's the quietest game I've played this generation, from the subdued (but haunting) chords on the title screen, to the sparse (but effective) use of music to accentuate (rather than dominate) the moment. Case in point: the melancholic music wafting through Jensen's apartment when you return to Detroit. It's almost imperceptible, working your emotions under the radar. (Side note about the apartment: the fact Jensen is studying clockwork is a brilliant metaphor-within-a-metaphor.)

When you start the game, there's no bombastic 15-minute Poseideon/Leviathan-in-GOW3 assault on the senses. Rather, the game wraps you in its warm embrace slowly but surely, enveloping you in its world and sucking you deeper and deeper with each new detail spoon-fed to you by careful exploration, BioShock-style. It's masterful minimalism.

I've already clocked probably 20-plus hours, and apparently I'm only two-thirds of the way through. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty, too. I'm being stealthy, relishing non-lethal solutions to every situation (sans bosses, of course, where I don't have a choice). I have a strong hankering to replay MGS4; in particular, the mechs in this game make me want to revisit Metal Gear's Gekkos.

I just never tire of this game. That's quite something. It never feels like a chore. I already want to go back and play some more. :)

Played another 5 hours today. Got from the meeting with van Bruggen to
using the funicular in Montreal.
Gas grenades are useful for grabbing those Smooth Operator bonuses. Double takedowns- awesome. Cloaking- awesome.

Gonna have to do a proper Pacifist playthrough after this, if only so I can use my silenced 10mm without worry for this first playthrough.

Danne-Danger said:
Not sure! Probably not though. Haha, I knew there was something more to that guy. :D

Well thanks for the assist, your suggestion ended up helping me:
Earlier I'd paid him 5000 to finish the earlier mission and gotten the Praxis kit from him. I did a test KO and discovered he had the 5000 credits on him now, so I used cloak, jumped behind the bar, knocked him out, took the 5000 I paid him back, jumped back over, decloaked and strolled out of the Hive. Then I used the credits to buy a kit from the LIMB clinic and added a point to my hacking. All's well that ends well.

I love the little things in this game that, when it all comes together, makes you feel badass.

Neiteio

Hey, now that I've beat the second boss, I'm wondering: You know that part in the TGS (I think it was TGS) trailer where they show the FMV of her turning half-invisible during a daytime riot and gunning the crowds? Where/when does that happen in the game? She's kind of... out of commission now.

Completed! After the second boss, I thought fuck that and started stocking up on ammo/guns simply for the bosses. Worked like a charm.

The Aug that stops you getting electrified really helped in the last few missions.

End game spoilers:

I hated going past all the insane enemies. Since I didn't really want to kill anyone (Have killed in the past, but I felt bad here), I had to use my cloak and run like fuck past them. Worked most of the time. As much as I really didn't want to, I went to talk to Sarif and the other guy.

The last boss really reminded me of Oni. Oddly. Anyway, the first bit was easy. Cloak up to the machine, press button, shotgun to the head a few times and move on. Heavy rife glass wall while now and again running around for ammo. (The Electicity Aug really helped here. Saved me having to run for a space that wasn't getting light up like a Christmas tree. Once that wall was down, just emptied a few shotgun shots into and boom. I win.

I decided to send his message straight and got the ending where Adam talks about how he resisted killing people. I reckon I killed about 20 people all in all.

Ending really didn't make sense. I get the use of live-action stuff but they didn't actually explain exactly what happened after he sent the message. I mean, they gave us a hint and we can mostly work out, but would've been nice to see.

Still my GOTY.

EDIT @Neiteio: It doesn't. =/

Neiteio

BackwardsSuggestions said:
EDIT @Neiteio: It doesn't. =/
That's fine, I was just wondering if I missed something. :)

I don't think they said her name either, now that I think of it.

Btw, with Typhoon, on the easiet difficulty, I literally stood in one place, hit the d-pad once, hit the d-pad twice, and after two hits from Typhoon, she was done. The battle was literally over in, like, five seconds, and the bulk of those seconds were simply the canned attack animation. :)

stuminus3

KorrZ said:
I've never played IW. Is it even worth bothering? $10 on Steam atm. The UI looks terrible is the only thing I can pick up from the screenshots on the Steam page.
Oh man. IW defence force here. I wish you hadn't asked this question because now I feel inclined to have to answer it and I really don't feel like having to get into it with anyone... I could write books on what IW does right and what IW does wrong. Invisible War is pretty much universally reviled by anyone who has a red name on this forum, but I've played through it a few times and really enjoyed it, warts and all.

Go into it with an open mind and preferably without reading too many opinions on either side. Some of its faults were of a technical nature, many of which are irrelevant now because it runs much better on modern hardware, the biggest issue - and the one that can never be fixed - is that the map sizes are tiny so getting through the hubs can become a pain in the ass. Other than that, it does some things kind of differently than DX and HR, or at least the focus is different. HR is literally (and sometimes quite disappointingly) a carbon copy of DX but with modern conveniences. IW is a more... social game I guess? It revolves more around your interactions with the people in it's world and the way you react to them, it's more emergent than DX's smoke and mirrors in that respect. You can't play IW like DX in that if you try to explore every nook and cranny and try to please everyone all the time (you'll understand what I mean), you kind of break the game's narrative. The best way to experience your trip through it's story, and this probably sounds silly, is to just follow your heart. It's short, play it again if you have OCD.

It's an interesting yet misunderstood experiment in emergent gameplay that succeeds and fails on many different levels. The only things off the top of my head that come close to exploring what Invisible War did is the Witcher games and Alpha Protocol. Not too many devs are up to the challenge, apparently.

One thing's for sure though, if HR was IW, some of the things we're taking for granted in HR in 2011 (recharging health, third person stealth etc) would have rendered the series as completely dead to DX fans in 2004 as IW did. Eidos were smart for putting it on ice for a few years.

So i broke into the police station without anyone knowing, but i didnt get the smooth operator due to going in to talk to chet wagner.

Should be fine for foxiest right?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Onion_Relish said:
So i broke into the police station without anyone knowing, but i didnt get the smooth operator due to going in to talk to chet wagner.

Foxiest is *only alarms*. You can have 8000 dudes shooting at you fully hostile, as long as you don't trigger an actual alarm you are fine.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Onion_Relish said:

You should've gotten a silver tongue bonus instead.

And yea, so long as the radar doesn't go hostile, you still have foxiest.

I didnt actually talk to wayne haas, because i know the trophy is disabled if you just stroll through the station, but yeah i know it should be fine, just dont want to do a 4th run just for one trophy

Rufus

Stet said:
Holy shit,
saving Malik
nonlethally was the hardest thing I've had to do in this game up until this point. I probably screwed up my Foxiest of the Hounds achievement because the guards got "Hostile," but it was totally worth it.
Foxiest is about alarms. Not guards being 'alarmed' or 'hostile', just alarms. Stages where there's no alarm to set off don't count.

Hulud

The second Hengsha visit
aggravated my PTSD from when Echo 419 Foehammer went down in Halo 1. I wasn't going to let that happen again, I had to save Faridah!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hulud said:
The second Hengsha visit
aggravated my PTSD from when Echo 419 Foehammer went down in Halo 1. I wasn't going to let that happen again, I had to save Faridah!

I tried the first time but an explosion happened before I could take everyone out so I said screw it and reloaded a save. The second time I snuck past everyone and went straight to the elevator to get away.

I could not believe it.

Instead of it blowing up, there was a cutscene where she was dragged out of the heli, she told the dudes to go fuck themselves as they executed her right in front of me with the executioner dude staring at me intently the entire the time trying to antagonise me.

Really intense, I mean holy shit. That was really left field.

I was considering reloading a save right there and then but I decided I wanted to have the consequences of that scene stay with me as a character as much as it did as player. That and there's a
big-ass robot

oneils

Just finished the game. AWESOME!!!

Is it a spoiler to tell everyone they should watch the credits all the way through?

Hulud

Dani said:
I tried the first time but an explosion happened before I could take everyone out so I said screw it and reloaded a save. The second time I snuck past everyone and went straight to the elevator to get away.

I could not believe it.

Instead of it blowing up, there was a cutscene where she was dragged out of the heli, she told the dudes to go fuck themselves as they executed her right in front of me with the executioner dude staring at me intently the entire the time trying to antagonise me.

I was considering reloading a save right there and then but I decided I wanted to have the consequences of that scene stay with me as a character as much as it did as player. That and there's a
big-ass robot
Wow. I had no idea that could happen.

Dani said:
I could not believe it.

Holy shit indeed.

JohngPR

Dani said:

I could not believe it.

big-ass robot

That's crazy, love they have so many different ways that can play out.

I found a good run through that area where I could pull it off with no one dying, so I tried that just to see if I could.

Mission Accomplished...pacifism maintained. :)

Just beat it! Eidos Montreal should be proud of what they put together. First RPG in a long time that actually treated me like I was intelligent. It made me remember of older RPG's that made me fall in love this genre, where you actually felt like you play a role in the story. Bioware should take a lesson from these guys, I think they've forgotten too.

bs000

Game kept crashing in the
capsule
hotel area D:. I started turning random crap off in the settings and it seems to be fixed. I think it may have been DX11. Having fun other than game crashing hiccups though.

I've been pretty indecisive when it comes to what augmentations to get. I'm sitting on ten points 'cause I'm afraid I'll regret not spending them on something else later. Tell me what to get 'cause I can't make decisions for myself.

stuminus3 said:
Oh man. IW defence force here. I wish you hadn't asked this question because now I feel inclined to have to answer it and I really don't feel like having to get into it with anyone... I could write books on what IW does right and what IW does wrong. Invisible War is pretty much universally reviled by anyone who has a red name on this forum, but I've played through it a few times and really enjoyed it, warts and all.

Go into it with an open mind and preferably without reading too many opinions on either side. Some of its faults were of a technical nature, many of which are irrelevant now because it runs much better on modern hardware, the biggest issue - and the one that can never be fixed - is that the map sizes are tiny so getting through the hubs can become a pain in the ass. Other than that, it does some things kind of differently than DX and HR, or at least the focus is different. HR is literally (and sometimes quite disappointingly) a carbon copy of DX but with modern conveniences. IW is a more... social game I guess? It revolves more around your interactions with the people in it's world and the way you react to them, it's more emergent than DX's smoke and mirrors in that respect. You can't play IW like DX in that if you try to explore every nook and cranny and try to please everyone all the time (you'll understand what I mean), you kind of break the game's narrative. The best way to experience your trip through it's story, and this probably sounds silly, is to just follow your heart. It's short, play it again if you have OCD.

It's an interesting yet misunderstood experiment in emergent gameplay that succeeds and fails on many different levels. The only things off the top of my head that come close to exploring what Invisible War did is the Witcher games and Alpha Protocol. Not too many devs are up to the challenge, apparently.

One thing's for sure though, if HR was IW, some of the things we're taking for granted in HR in 2011 (recharging health, third person stealth etc) would have rendered the series as completely dead to DX fans in 2004 as IW did. Eidos were smart for putting it on ice for a few years.

what do you mean exactly when you claim that IW has (more / greater) emergent gameplay in it?

TTG

I guess I should have started the game on the hardest difficulty instead of medium... So I'm in the second hub area and I have a whopping 10 paraxis points available. Any suggestions? So far I have hacking all the way up(but not the turrets and robots), I got a some strength enhancements to help me carry shit around and I have the typhoon level 1 and a little armor. Do I go for cloaking? Upgrade armor all the way? What's gonna be useful in the future?

Dresden

TTG said:
I guess I should have started the game on the hardest difficulty instead of medium... So I'm in the second hub area and I have a whopping 10 paraxis points available. Any suggestions? So far I have hacking all the way up(but not the turrets and robots), I got a some strength enhancements to help me carry shit around and I have the typhoon level 1 and a little armor. Do I go for cloaking? Upgrade armor all the way? What's gonna be useful in the future?
Max out typhoon, cloaking, and the lower detection rate for hacking; grab high jump, icarus drop, wall punch, and since you have points in armor, go for the anti-emp/electricity aug.

Adam's apartment was so well done. I felt it gave a lot of character to him...the food strewn throughout the apartment, the unmade bed, the broken mirror. The stacks of books and mechanical parts and electronics on his desk. The pictures of him in SWAT, and with Megan. I felt a real human side to him.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. I've played 9 hours, and haven't even gotten
to the police station yet.
Is that normal, or am I really taking my time? Honestly, I don't really want things to end, and I'm just poking around every nook and cranny. And it feels like there's so much to do and see just in Detroit. I have that compulsive drive to talk to everybody at least twice to see if they say anything different. Heh. Good RPG's always do that to me.

The game is really beautiful. The yellowish brown filter doesn't bother me so much once I started playing. The character models and animations are pretty painful to watch, but beyond that I really, really like the look of this game. I wish it ran a bit better though, seems to be a bit jerky from time to time.

It feels like Deus Ex, through and through. I honestly was worried. But Eidos has done a fantastic job, as far as I'm concerned. Not sure if it will surpass the first for me, but it doesn't need to really, and I never expected it to. Seriously, I feel like they got nearly ever single "Deus Ex-ey" detail spot on. I can tell that the developers really knew the source material.

Does anyone else feel like this game excessively rewards stealth to a fault? When I attack enemies with lethal weapons, I feel like I'm playing the game wrong. Not only are there massive XP bonuses for playing stealthily, but Jensen is also extremely fragile and he often seems to get killed in one or two shots even with maxed out dermal armor. From what I recall, JC Denton was far more resistant to damage, especially with the fully upgraded ballistic protection augmentation. But in Human Revolution, I feel like you're punished for not being stealthy. A non-stealthy approach doesn't even seem like a viable option in certain situations.

SenseiJinx said:
I'm really enjoying the game so far. I've played 9 hours, and haven't even gotten
to the police station yet.
Is that normal, or am I really taking my time?
Perfectly normal. People have spent 20+ hours in Detroit alone (including me!). I started the police station after like 12 hours.

ColonelColon said:
Does anyone else feel like this game excessively rewards stealth to a fault? When I attack enemies with lethal weapons, I feel like I'm playing the game wrong. Not only are there massive XP bonuses for playing stealthily, but Jensen is also extremely fragile and he often seems to get killed in one or two shots even with maxed out dermal armor. From what I recall, JC Denton was far more resistant to damage, especially with the fully upgraded ballistic protection augmentation. But in Human Revolution, I feel like you're punished for not being stealthy. A non-stealthy approach doesn't even seem like a viable option in certain situations.
Yeah, there's definitely some balance issues with the XP system. You only get like 10-20 points for lethal, which is a shame because the weapons are so cool and feel very satisfying. I dunno how I'm gonna do the guns-blazing playthrough with the XP being gimped.

aeolist

Banned
The biggest imbalance is the armor penetration for the pistol which makes it waaaay better than the combat rifle or machine pistol later in the game when everyone has helmets and body armor.

One headshot is a kill on almost every non-boss.

aeolist said:
The biggest imbalance is the armor penetration for the pistol which makes it waaaay better than the combat rifle or machine pistol later in the game when everyone has helmets and body armor.

One headshot is a kill on almost every non-boss.
Can't believe I forgot that. Yeah, the armor piercing attachment to the pistol is insanely OP and has a big influence on the game if you're going lethal. I'm pretty sure they did this on purpose after the original DX but I kinda wish they didn't. It would make the game harder and force you to try the other weaps. As it is now you just basically have to will yourself to not use the 10mm because it's that good and one-shots the armored guys. I'm even thinking about dropping it... currently up to Heng Sha and have a bunch of other weaps (SMG silenced, Heavy Rifle, Revolver with explosive upgrade, Tranq rifle, stun gun)).

never throw a refrigerator at an npc, causing them to stagger into a wall and start floating

because then they will transform into this

CHtY3.jpg

behold the metatron of god

Question: Has anyone not used the crazy OP silenced10mm with piercing during most of your playthrough (assuming you're not going pacifist)? Like it's not even in your inventory. How's your experience been so far? Which weap do you find to be the next best and with what attachments... Revolver + laser + explosive? Machine Pistol + laser + silencer + curve bullets? Combat rifle + whatever it gets? The Shotty?

Heavy said:
Can't believe I forgot that. Yeah, the armor piercing attachment to the pistol is insanely OP and has a big influence on the game if you're going lethal. I'm pretty sure they did this on purpose after the original DX but I kinda wish they didn't. It would make the game harder and force you to try the other weaps. As it is now you just basically have to will yourself to not use the 10mm because it's that good and one-shots the armored guys. I'm even thinking about dropping it... currently up to Heng Sha and have a bunch of other weaps (SMG silenced, Heavy Rifle, Revolver with explosive upgrade, Tranq rifle, stun gun)).

Now that you guys mention it, i noticed how OP it was as well, but its really nice to have due to the ease of finding ammo for it. I always have the combat rifle affectionately nicknamed "my buddy", silenced sniper rifle (nicknamed ol poppy) and ive started carrying around the rocket launcher although i might stop due to lack of ammo early in the game. Too bad the
laser rifle and plasma rifle
are recieved so late in the game otherwise i would rock those.

Heavy said:
Question: Has anyone not used the crazy OP silenced10mm with piercing during most of your playthrough (assuming you're not going pacifist)? Like it's not even in your inventory. How's your experience been so far? Which weap do you find to be the next best and with what attachments... Revolver + laser + explosive? Machine Pistol + laser + silencer + curve bullets? Combat rifle + whatever it gets? The Shotty?

I would say double barrelled shottie and silenced sniper rifle.

EmCeeGramr said:
never throw a refrigerator at an npc, causing them to stagger into a wall and start floating

http://i.imgur.com/CHtY3.jpg[IMG]

behold the metatron of god[/QUOTE]Hahaha wow

Onion_Relish said:
Now that you guys mention it, i noticed how OP it was as well, but its really nice to have due to the ease of finding ammo for it. I always have the combat rifle affectionately nicknamed "my buddy", silenced sniper rifle (nicknamed ol poppy) and ive started carrying around the rocket launcher although i might stop due to lack of ammo early in the game. Too bad the
laser rifle and plasma rifle
are recieved so late in the game otherwise i would rock those.
It's really BS. You can clear out an entire room of armored guys with barely any trouble at all. Just point at head and shoot once, then the next guy, then the next guy, and on and on.

Now let's say it wasn't a one-shot kill on them... you'd probably get hostiled, flanked, and *gasp* maybe even die!

If they flanked you and were close, you could pull out your shotty or spray em down with the SMG or blast away with your exploding revolver or fire a PEPS round to stun and then charge and melee/shotty them or pick them off with your combat rifle... so many options.

But hey, forget all that! Just point and click with the 10mm...insta-win. That one little attachment changes so much grrr!

KorrZ

stuminus3 said:

Thank you for the post. I'm such a huge Deus Ex fan that I think I owe it to myself to at least check it out. Not like I'm going to feel to burned over 10$ anyways.

I wonder, would having a Grim Reaper XP bonus that rewards 500 exp for killing every single hostile in the mission help with the game's balance? Just thinking out loud.

The Quiet Man said:
I wonder, would having a Grim Reaper XP bonus that rewards 500 exp for killing every single hostile in the mission help with the game's balance? Just thinking out loud.
Definitely, 250 to 500. I'm kinda surprised that's not in there already.

Salsa

well im at the end, but i quit the game on purpose to properly finish it tomorrow. Ive dragged it as long as i could cause i really dont want it to end, but hey! DLC is something, i guess.

Anyway, i totally saw the
new biochip screwing with you
thing a mile away, and i dont like the way they handled it really.

suddenly the only detail i get for a quest mission is GET A NEW BIOCHIP TO STOP GLITCHES and then when i do it i even get a cutscene? yeah.. they're definetly not gonna screw me over/control me with this or something.

the best part is that i actually skipped that at first, but right before advancing i said "fuck it wanna see what happens" and got it, lol.
boss fight was still easy

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:

behold the metatron of god

*Slowly puts down the refrigerator and backs away*

george_us

Finally beat it.

Pluses:
-Great art style
-Great soundtrack
-The amount of freedom you is pretty nice
-Great level design
-Side missions really help flesh out the world. I enjoyed those a lot more than the main missions

Negatives:
-Main story is terrible, completely falling apart towards the end. Felt like playing a far less interesting version of Metal Gear Solid 2
-Didn't really like any of the characters besides Jensen and Malak
-Final mission and boss fight wasn't really interesting
-Gun play wasn't all that great, especially with the bullet sponge enemies
-Boss fights as a whole were terrible and not interesting at all

Dresden

Heavy said:
I'd use the stun gun and the revolver+explosive attachment.

Dani said:

I could not believe it.

big-ass robot

Wow that shit sounds intense. I played through 3 times and
saved her each time. The little exchange between Adam and Malik after she takes off gives me chills each time. Only other time it happened for me in game was choosing the ending that destroys Panchea. Eliza saying it's been a pleasure right before you and everyone else dies, so good.

Top Bottom