• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

hamchan

Ventilaator said:
Thanks for that, that worked.

It's pretty stupid that it worked, and my view of this game is still tarnished because that isn't supposed to work, and I still find normally fighting him to be impossible.

But it worked.
Wow, so you even fought him with all augs and still found him hard. Meanwhile I found him incredibly simple and I had all my augs disabled. Staying in cover and blinding works amazingly well, especially with the Laser Rifle. Then you just run away when he throws grenades, rinse and repeat. While the bosses in the game aren't great I don't think you can blame the game for the difficulty in this case, blame yourself. If you're dying in 15 seconds you're doing something seriously wrong.

Uchip

Banned
Ventilaator said:
If I stopped to shoot at him I died. If I stopped from running away I got blown up by a grenade or disabled long enough by an EMP grenade for him to still kill me. The logical conclusion I drew from that was to keep moving. That gave me 15 seconds worth of time to attempt the glitch as shown in the video.

I actually found a pretty cheese way of beating him
The middle wall, if you are on the opposite side, at the end of the wall, he will jump over it
if you move back to the other side, he will repeat this indefinitely until you do enough damage to him

hamchan said:
While the bosses in the game aren't great I don't think you can blame the game for the difficulty in this case.

I can and I will. I still think it's pretty stupid for a game that let's you build your character in a completely non-combaty way to force you into a combat situation where it would be really helpful to have all those health, armor and shooting upgrades that you've been ignoring because you haven't shot anyone for the past 10 hours.

The game needs stealth player bosses. Like that one part where you discover that the
News anchor is a hologram
and suddenly a ton of soldiers flood in and start combing the area. I died a few times there, and I fully blamed myself because I have all the stealth options available to me because that's how I've built my character, so failing is clearly because I goofed up.

I have no idea however the hell you can contrive that, but having 2 doors where one leads to a normal boss fight and the other one leads to a sequence like that would be perfect.

Dakota47

Uchip said:
I actually found a pretty cheese way of beating him
The middle wall, if you are on the opposite side, at the end of the wall, he will jump over it
if you move back to the other side, he will repeat this indefinitely until you do enough damage to him

That's how I beat him. Also, keep in mind that the
laser rifle that is stashed in the room can shoot through glass

mAcOdIn

I dunno, I get the gripe towards some of the mission design with hacking levels and available routes but I don't get the gripe about having to do some combat. It just makes sense to me story wise, I get that it goes against slightly the freedom the game tries to offer you in it's design but it does very much so go against the actual tasks you're undertaking and the main characters role at the company. You're playing Jensen, ex-SWAT and now Chief of Security not Pritchard. You're going up against people that have physically attacked your company who are every bit as capable as you , these people that attacked you are built just for killing people, presumably they're good, I can see them underestimating you at first but eventually they'd come after you as opposed to you just conveniently walking into them. So while I think I could see a way they could have design it so that certain people were fought at other times based on your decisions or at the least in different conditions which might have given you an edge I don't think it'd make sense to not fight them at all nor am I a fan of a lame game mechanic like a kill phrase or something that'd allow you to kill them in some weak fashion.

Still can't beat it. Threw 3 barrels at robot and he still stands. God fucking dammit!

Edit: Where in Detroit can I buy some fucking EMP grenades? If I use one will it kill any soldiers nearby? I am no kill.

dmshaposv

I finally started the game (as gaf has gone into backlash mode, how timely) and I like the stealth and combat mechanics. Will be infiltrating the police station - if only i had more time to play and soak in the world.

Backlash mode can go screw itself, this game is still by far the best non-indie release in a long time and I can't wait to come back home and start my second run through the game. There will be more.

Anybody else experiencing bad sound glitches? Every 10 minutes of so the sound starts glitchng and going out of sync, seems to coincide with a frame drop

Finished it with 1 kill and 0 alerts. I feel totally justified in that one kill.

Things I want adressed in the sequel

1) Boss fights. There needs to be a non-combat way to bybass them, or -endgame spoiler-
They need to look really hard at the final boss fight and realize what that did right. There's both a sneaky way and a shooty way for people to handle it, which is exactly what that game needs. I cloaked to the button, retreated behind a wall and shot the lady that comes out. I couldn't have done that without the cloak (I think) and that was totally awesome. I was fighting a boss without running up to a dude and emptying clips in it's head, I was actually using the stuff I had been using the whole game

2) Batteries. Feel free to continue using the system where only the last battery recharges, but why in the name of JC does a takedown spend my battery. Jensen is just punching the guy in the face, even I can do that without batteries and I don't even have a trenchcoat

3) Mission design. I would really love to see someone make their way through this game without ever hacking anything. Is that even possible? The game makes it seem like hacking/stealth is the "canon" way to play, it really shouldn't do that.

4) It is way too long. They either need to mix it up some with new ideas instead of "You need to get there and there are people in the way. Shoot them or not." or rope themselves in with the length.
Having to save Malik because you randomly got shot down was great. It came out of nowhere and forced you to use all of your skills in a slightly different way - very very quickly. Game needs more of those mixed in some if it wants to be this long.

That's all I got. Game is great with a few issues that are painful enough to sour me on the experience some, but it did so many things so very right that it's still impossible for me to not reccommend it.

TTG

Anyone else like the crossbow? Quiet to shoot and compact, unlike the sniper rifle. Great damage, good range(although you need the upgrade to counter act for the flight path of the arrows). And unlike the tranq gun, the scope is as steady as a sniper rifle.

Darklord

Banned
Just finished the game. The ending was...ok. I would have liked more for that whole level. Just make sure you watch the credits, there is more after that if you skip you'll miss.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Darklord said:
I loaded up with tons of plasma rounds. Didn't even need them in the end. Piss easy "boss" battle.

yes, it was crazy looking but laughable in its difficulty.

I just read the small comic book that I got with the game. It's pretty neat. I would have liked to see that mission in game, if only for some different flavour. Not sure how connected it is exactly to the game, seeing as the last page has something happen that I definitely should have heard about in-game. That said, I'm not back in Detroit yet, so maybe I will.

Wallach

Finished the game finally (48 hours). I was 5 Praxis short of having every single aug and going into the last area I had over 200 revolver rounds, 35 Typhoon rounds and lord knows what else. Kind of overkill, I guess.

Going to do another run to try the no-kills and no-alarms thing since I did most everything else this time. One annoying thing is that I did find all of the stupid scholar eBooks (I even wrote down where they were as I was going) but one of them I must have not saved after and reloaded without picking it up again.

Solo

Always-honest said:

Welcome to next generation gaming, complete with retailer/pre-order exclusives and content pulled from games in order to fleece you down the line when its packaged as DLC.

I hope you rike it.

_Xenon_

Banned
Just finished the game. Can't tell how long it took because I play on console. Minus some technical issues such as frame loss this game is pretty much my GOTY. The story and gameplay of this game are just superior than TW2 to be honest.

I like where they are going with the boss design but they really need to bring up more challenge and uniqueness for them. 2 of the 4 bosses can be one-shot-kill (get close and go fist fight). The last one is way easy considering how much fire power and abilities I have. Only the first one has some sort of challenge but that only lasted like 5 mins.

BTW the Tranquilizer rifle just makes this game a walk in the park. They should have made the enemy wake up by himself after a certain amount of time or something.

subversus

_Xenon_ said:
Just finished the game. Can't tell how long it took because I play on console. Minus some technical issues such as frame loss this game is pretty much my GOTY. The story and gameplay of this game are just superior than TW2 to be honest.

Let's not get carried away here. While some story elements were performed better, genreal writing in TW2 (and I mean in style) leagues better if we don't take into account verbal battles with CASIE dialogue options on. These are on the level with TW2 and even better in some cases.

stuminus3

Zeitgeister said:
what do you mean exactly when you claim that IW has (more / greater) emergent gameplay in it?
Only in some respects, I mean. For example in Deus Ex you have no choice but to
switch sides and join the NSF
, Warren Spector has always gone on record afterwards about how he hates having that forced on the player. IW doesn't ever do that, you have complete freedom to follow whatever you believe through the entire game.

stuminus3 said:
, Warren Spector has always gone on record afterwards about how he hates having that forced on the player. IW doesn't ever do that, you have complete freedom to follow whatever you believe through the entire game.

Yeah, except you end up doing 99% the same things anyway. You just press "kill X" instead of "free X", and having every option open to you each time. Even if you spent the whole game fucking the WTO in the ass, they still radio you begging for your assistance every time. And instead of getting orders from one person, you get everyone's orders, constantly, and everybody has apparently got a live-feed of everything you see.

While the intent behind this aspect design is noble, the execution was very poor.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So... got to the first boss fight. Having been playing completely stealth I'm pretty annoyed to have to fight this guy straight up.

I think this game works as a stealth game, though it's a bit too easy (so far), even on the highest difficulty. As a shooter -- I have another save file I'm going through weapons hot -- I don't think it's very good... combat generally feels really clunky (another dev who sucks at implementing analog aiming) and boring. Well, except for the revolver... which is pretty cool.

Anyway, I'm disappointed that they're forcing me into direct combat. I don't think the game does it very well. It's not fun. As a stealth game this is awesome. As a shooter I feel like I have better things to do. This part really took the wind out of my sails after such a good sneaking section.

I died twice because of the clunky combat and have little interest in trying again. So now I have to put it down for a few hours until I'm in the mood to pick it up later. Probably will power through it first or second try... to get back to the good stuff.

Also I just want to say that I hate limited inventory... any fucking game that makes you constantly micromanage inventory can go suck a dick.

Darklord said:
Just finished the game. The ending was...ok. I would have liked more for that whole level. Just make sure you watch the credits, there is more after that if you skip you'll miss.

MOTHERFUCKER.

Guess I'm replaying it then. Need to sort out some quests I missed anyway. Need those trophies!

My biggest complaint is officially the skill system. The execution is poor and has screwed up progression pacing for me.

I spent 20 hours between Detroit and China and found literally everything I could, hacked everything, and did every quest I could. I have now mastered all of the skills I want and have started upgrading just to upgrade. The problem is that the reward of stealth is now gone. What was once satisfying is now cumbersome. And my upgrades remaining are pretty much the stealth "cheat" skills (I have a surplus of Praxis at this point). The fact that you can purchase them makes this even worse.

As such, I have resorted to a more aggressive play style. I pretty much terminator'd the TYM and the Cassan part of the game. I have just got to
detroit riots
with 26 hours or so and am just interested in advancing the story.

Great game, but should have a larger skill tree or make it not so easy to upgrade. I think I was a master hacker within a couple of hours of play.

Evolved1 said:
I died twice because of the clunky combat and have little interest in trying again. So now I have to put it down for a few hours until I'm in the mood to pick it up later. Probably will power through it first or second try... to get back to the good stuff.

Also I just want to say that I hate limited inventory... any fucking game that makes you constantly micromanage inventory can go suck a dick.

Clunky combat? no, you died because you werent skilled enough to win - the controls in this game are fantastic.

Once you upgrade the inventory to level 3 u can pretty much carry anything - ur not supposed to carry one of each gun around with you - i keep the stun gun, pistol and shotgun and thats enough for me weapons wise. i dont micromanage that much i just dont pick up ammo i really dont need or guns i wont use.

Evolved1

Phat Michael said:
Clunky combat? no, you died because you werent skilled enough to win - the controls in this game are fantastic.

Once you upgrade the inventory to level 3 u can pretty much carry anything - ur not supposed to carry one of each gun around with you - i keep the stun gun, pistol and shotgun and thats enough for me weapons wise. i dont micromanage that much i just dont pick up ammo i really dont need or guns i wont use.

The "herp derp you must suck" argument... whatever man.

subversus

Evolved1 said:
The "herp derp you must suck" argument... whatever man.

might be sticks but combat is piss easy if your aiming is good, so you may be you really suck at shooting in this game (thanks to stick or whatever, I'm playing it with MKB).

Phat Michael said:

Oh please, I'm having no problem with the game or bosses and still think this game has shit combat

subversus

I started my "shoot'em all" walkthrough and DAMN, shooting feels good. I was surprised how well the game works in combat. You can easily move around obstacles and switch cover positions so it's quite easy to own battlefield. Enemies charge and flank you. But they go down really easy if you're aiming for a headshot and headshots are very satisfying.

I didn't expect that. I mean I expected it to be decent but not good.

Also I found new ways to go through the first mission even though I'm playing it for a third time (well, the second time but I watch my friend playing it too).

edit: this post should have been up an hour ago, so it's not a response to "combat sucks" posts.

stuminus3

bonesmccoy said:
Are there consequences for
for executing Darrow after you meet him at Panachea?
Nope. You can pretty much do what you like to anyone on Panachea, it doesn't factor in to the endings.

Herla

Hell Yeah.

LuF0J.png

GOTY, for me. Though, the last part was a bit...anticlimactic? I dunno, I expected a bit more...but GOTY nonetheless.

Uchip

Banned
Herla said:
Hell Yeah.

LuF0J.png

GOTY, for me. Though, the last part was a bit...anticlimactic? I dunno, I expected a bit more...but GOTY nonetheless.

its easy to criticize when they do everything else so well

Ventilaator said:
I can and I will. I still think it's pretty stupid for a game that let's you build your character in a completely non-combaty way to force you into a combat situation where it would be really helpful to have all those health, armor and shooting upgrades that you've been ignoring because you haven't shot anyone for the past 10 hours.

The game needs stealth player bosses. Like that one part where you discover that the
News anchor is a hologram
and suddenly a ton of soldiers flood in and start combing the area. I died a few times there, and I fully blamed myself because I have all the stealth options available to me because that's how I've built my character, so failing is clearly because I goofed up.

I have no idea however the hell you can contrive that, but having 2 doors where one leads to a normal boss fight and the other one leads to a sequence like that would be perfect.

I played stealth on my first playthrough and I killed him quickly with the
laser rifle
that had been stored nearby while stunning him with my EMP stuff.

On my second playthrough I'm going to kill him without ever facing him or taking a single shot, not by that glitch, but by
hacking a turret and carrying it into the fight

stuminus3 said:
Nope. You can pretty much do what you like to anyone on Panachea, it doesn't factor in to the endings.

Wow! It's like Inverse-Invisible War, where you can pretty much do whatever you like to anyone in the entire game, and it won't factor at
Liberty Island
!

stuminus3 said:

oh. I have to admit, I never noticed that while playing it. But that's probably because I only played it once. (I also played the original only once, actually)

Maybe I should replay them. But oh what's that... and that and that and...
(probably not gonna happen)

bumclot

Phat Michael said:
guys - got the armour piercing upgrade for my pistol - but it wont let me apply it? the combine item is greyed out. any idea why this is? it says its for the 10mm pistol but it wont let me put it on?

Anyone know the answer? I'm having the same issue. I assume it's because I've already equipped a silencer and laser sight.

Rufus

Coxswain said:
I'm not sure about XP rewards, but in quite a few places the CASIE mod (at least the pheromone function) is just a way to get things done more quickly, rather than more effectively. It's not the best way to handle a fair number of the situations where it can be used - in the police station, using it on the desk sergeant instead of actually out-talking him normally results in a pretty different (less friendly) outcome.
I talked him into moving on with his life and look for better opportunities. He showed up later, thanking me for it, upon which Jensen offers him a job at Sarif. Private security pays better anyway, yadda yadda. I think I went with 'crush' every time, using the CASIE on the very last one. I don't know if you can get this outcome normally. The second time I did it, I just told him that it wasn't his fault (which isn't true, really), which he seemed really thankful for.

That conversation btw is the first one where the facial expressions really impressed me. Really well done.

bumclot said:
Anyone know the answer? I'm having the same issue. I assume it's because I've already equipped a silencer and laser sight.

You can have all three of those at once. Maybe attempting to apply it to the revolver?

Evolved1

subversus said:
might be sticks but combat is piss easy if your aiming is good, so you may be you really suck at shooting in this game (thanks to stick or whatever, I'm playing it with MKB).

It's not the shooting... I mean I really dislike the the analog settings, but generally vs reg enemies the game, like you said, is easy. I find the clunkiness, and of course this is just my opinion, to come from moving around during the fight. Like you want to take cover, but you're just slightly too far away, or there's a bit of a delay in getting in and out of cover, and especially coming out of cover and moving to the next spot.... or it sticks to the wrong side of what you intend... or the slightly disorienting camera coming in and out of cover. This stuff isn't a huge issue during most gameplay, it's just very apparent during the boss fight, in my experience with the game so far.

That's what I mean by clunky. And I don't really like the idea of forced boss fights to begin with... you know, and I don't really enjoy the game as a shooter.

I've been extremely positive with my impressions so far... very positive... so it's not like I'm hating for the sake of it, or trying to troll or some stupid shit like that. I'm just saying. Not feeling this boss fight, at all.

Neiteio said:
Hmm, I think I accidentally knocked a gangbanger into electrified water earlier in the game. Hope it didn't kill him.

It does. Even if a hand dips in... they're dead.

Top Bottom