• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

KorrZ

Hawkian said:
It's funny, I feel like hearing complaints about the bosses in this thread made me enjoy the first fight way more than I expected it to. I sort of disagree about it forcing you into direct combat... I expected there to only be one way to win, but my first strategy worked, he barely saw me at any point during the fight, and I didn't use any of the goodies scattered about to win. Won on the third try on Give Me Deus Ex.

Yeah, honestly the bosses are 100% a joke even on Give me Deus Ex. Some people just can't take having to retry a couple of times I suppose ><

I'm of two minds about the bosses to be honest. Aside from a little bit of trouble with the 3rd boss, I didn't think they were awful but I do think that it would have been more appropriate if they were all like the last boss, in that there were a couple of ways to approach each phase. The overall execution of that fight wasn't great, mind you, but the concept was great.

So I've managed to get to the very last boss of the game, if I kill the 3 people plugged into the machine, will that ruin my no kill playthrough? Should I stun gun them? Do they count?

Turfster

KorrZ said:
Yeah, honestly the bosses are 100% a joke even on Give me Deus Ex. Some people just can't take having to retry a couple of times I suppose ><
Yeah sure let's all stop to clean out half our inventory that ONLY contains non-lethal stuff so we're ABLE to pick up the stupid fucking PEWPEW weapon lying around while being shot at by someone that kills you in one hit because you didn't get the armor augs.

Fun!

Dresden

Turfster said:
Yeah sure let's all stop to clean out half our inventory that ONLY contains non-lethal stuff so we're ABLE to pick up the stupid fucking PEWPEW weapon lying around while being shot at by someone that kills you in one hit because you didn't get the armor augs.

Fun!
get typhoon

or toss some nades (four frag mines destroy the first boss, and you always get plenty from disarming them)

or carry a pistol

It's not that hard bro.

Lord_Nergal said:
Stuff that should probably be spoilered

No it won't.

Turfster said:
Yeah sure let's all stop to CLEAN OUT HALF OUR INVENTORY that ONLY contains non-lethal stuff so we're ABLE to pick up the stupid fucking PEWPEW weapon lying around WHILE BEING SHOT AT by someone THAT KILLS you in ONE HIT because you didn't get the armor augs.

Fun!

Why do you have heaps of weapons in your inventory in a game which makes it quite clear that upgrading a single weapon and sticking with it is the most effective approach? Why are you getting shot when the environment is filled with cover?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'VE TALKED MY WAY IN POLICE STATION

I broke the code. You see the mood of a person and then choose alpha, beta or omega type of response. You can do it even without CASIE. Badass.

But background which CASIE provides also helps sometimes.

wutwutwut

Turfster said:

Fun!
Why is emptying your inventory a bit a problem? I had to make some hard choices lots of times, and not just during bosses. That's part of the game.

KorrZ

Turfster said:

Fun!

All you need is a pistol and a stun gun (which your non-lethal run should already have) if you can't fit that into your inventory well....you need some better inventory management dude.

Turfster

jim-jam bongs said:
Why do you have heaps of weapons in your inventory in a game which makes it quite clear that upgrading a single weapon and sticking with it is the most effective approach?
Because you can't really upgrade the tranq ones? So you have the tranq rifle for long range takedowns, the stungun for shortrange takedowns and the peps in case shit goes horribly wrong.
Why are you getting shot when the environment is filled with cover?
It only takes one second. Like when
You evade the bitch, but oh noes, she exploded next to one of the transformers! Have an electrocution death! On the house!
=p

Dresden

Turfster said:
You're missing the point of a non-lethal stealth run, aren't you? =p
Lol.

Typhoon kills robots. Typhoon kills bosses. Two biggest threats to a pacifist run eliminated with 3 praxis points.

I'm doing a second run for the rest of the achievements and for the one where you have to grab all 29 eBooks, there's one in
Tong's office in The Hive
. The thing is, I didn't talk to him at all and triggered the cut-scene while in the air vent and now his office is locked. Am I fucked? O_O

bathala

Banned
Turfster said:
Because you can't really upgrade the tranq ones? So you have the tranq rifle for long range takedowns, the stungun for shortrange takedowns and the peps in case shit goes horribly wrong.
wait u have all that?
I just have a stun gun. Gas grenade and sniper rifle (boss battle)

if ur going for stealth run u don't have to stun everything that moves. Ur stealth, find an alternate path.

Turfster

I only really had praxis points to spare waaaay past the second boss (the only one I had a problem with =p). On the stealth run, I had to keep putting points into specific things to be able to progress with the path I'd chosen. (
Especially the rooftop entrance into the Row. More running speed, higher jumping, wall breaking, Icarus... that's a LOT of praxis
)

So I just saved
Malik
with just my tranq rifle & EMP grenades, but I was searching bodies afterward as one of the 15 guards I tranqed has a Skull status. Did that ruin my Pacfist run, or it just a display error? That was a tough fight and I'm not eager to redo it.

Thanks.

The bosses are ridiculously easy if you have the right equipment or the correct build for direct combat. I've seen tazers and a few grenades or three typhoons in a row take a boss out, I used blind fire and four shots of a grenade launcher to defeat the second to last boss in a few seconds.

If you know what to do, you can really cheese the bosses in Human Revolution. If you don't know how to cheese them, if you don't have the right equipment and ammo, if you don't have the right skill set, they can be a royal pain in the ass.

The last boss at least offered a partial non-combat solution to the encounter. Every boss battle should have had a non-combat solution.

bathala

Banned
Epyon MX said:
So I just saved
Malik
with just my tranq rifle & EMP grenades, but I was searching bodies afterward as one of the 15 guards I tranqed has a Skull status. Did that ruin my Pacfist run, or it just a display error? That was a tough fight and I'm not eager to redo it.

Thanks.
ruins it. did u kill anybody during the tutorial?

subversus

I tried Typhoon on the 2nd and 3rd bosses and it sucked. I personally wouldn't recommend it.

phinious said:
So my pc is out dated. Should I get this for Onlive, 360, or ps3?

PS360

Turfster said:

It only takes one second. Like when
You evade the bitch, but oh noes, she exploded next to one of the transformers! Have an electrocution death! On the house!
=p

At most you should have a primary and a backup weapon. If you're not playing a combat oriented build, don't carry a PEPS around for when the shit hits the fan because it's more or less a combat way of saving your bacon. Concussion grenades and cloaking are both much more effective when things get hectic, as is Reflex Booster.

As for the electricity, it sucks without EMP shielding, but if you have super jump just spam jump while the water is electrified then pop a Hypostim as soon as it's not. The jumping should keep you out of the water long enough to survive, and don't forget that she's not able to attack while that is happening.

Your best bet sounds like using the stun gun. Don't forget that it kills bosses, albeit slowly. When Eliza calls out that "she's coming" watch your radar. Turn to face away from where she's coming and sprint until she uses her Claymore thing, turn around and either hit her with an EMP or the stun gun depending on distance. If you can get into stun gun range you can literally stand on the spot while she flails helplessly and hit her with it until she dies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So note to self...

when you hire an architect

to design the HQ of, like, a security firm or an evil company

don't put so many ground level vents

jfc

Y2Kev said:
So note to self...

jfc

Not to mention all those 4ft crates everywhere.

Of all the bosses, I found number 3 to be the easiet. I had the
see through walls augment, and used it and the laser gun that just happened to be lying there, to kill Nasir in about 2 minutes.

Turfster

jim-jam bongs said:
At most you should have a primary and a backup weapon. If you're not playing a combat oriented build, don't carry a PEPS around for when the shit hits the fan because it's more or less a combat way of saving your bacon. Concussion grenades and cloaking are both much more effective when things get hectic, as is Reflex Booster.
PEPS came in really handy with the crazies at the end. Fucking crazies.

Also, I finished the game days ago. I'm just still sore about that boss fight =p

eznark

Banned
A couple hours in and loving it, but is anyone getting random crashes to desktop? I've got plenty of rig to run it and am on the latest nvidia drivers. Every 30-60 minutes it freezes and crashed though.

Foxix Von

jim-jam bongs said:

Now I feel like I'm playing the game wrong haha. Anytime the game gets that hectic I usually just load up the last save and try a different approach. God forbid I ever play a drinking game for every time I load up a save...

Turfster said:
PEPS came in really handy with the crazies at the end. Fucking crazies.

Also, I finished the game days ago. I'm just still sore about that boss fight =p

On my pacifist/foxiest run I just
walked right past all those crazy mofos.
It's really easy to get by most of them since they tend to
stare directly at walls muttering to themselves.

Anyway, I understand being annoyed at the bosses. Like I said earlier, I wish they put more effort into making the boss fights feel more like the rest of the game. For a game which so heavily rewards creativity and thinking outside the box the boss fights are pretty unimaginative.

Foxix said:
Now I feel like I'm playing the game wrong haha. Anytime the game gets that hectic I usually just load up the last save and try a different approach. God forbid I ever play a drinking game for every time I load up a save...

Oh don't mind me, I'm just a min/max nerd from way back. I usually do exactly that myself, but I like to experiment with encounters before restarting them.

Y2Kev said:
So note to self...

jfc
what, is a midget going to sneak in and assassinate people

subversus

Y2Kev said:
So note to self...

jfc

yeah, there's even a joke about that in the game.

Nose Master

For the people crying about having to beat the stupid easy bosses with a non-lethal build: Why aren't you carrying random weapons just from looting guys, for selling?

So with V-Sync off, mouse aim aint no pain ! Anyway ....

Im fucking loving this, just how similar to the original is it ? Im surprised how PC-ish the game feels what with it being multiplatform (guns dont take up half the screen, the hot-bar and "small" hud etc), guess thats Nixxes being awesome ?

Playing this is making want to attempt another go at the original which ive tried so many times but gave up like a pussy.

Turfster

Nose Master said:
For the people crying about having to beat the stupid easy bosses with a non-lethal build: Why aren't you carrying random weapons just from looting guys, for selling?
What's the point if you only have like, 5 bullets in the gun and no extra bullets because, you know, you were never going to use it anyway?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't know... complaints about not being equipped in terms of inventory are silly because you could always drop stuff, pick up the good killing stuff from the environment, then vice versa after you win.

Epyon MX said:
So I just saved
Malik

Thanks.
I had to redo this part like 4 times to avoid having anyone accidentally die to the robot's self-destruct.

I need some serious help here.

Hacking the Media Server in the Hive. HOW. THE. FUCK. IS. THIS. DONE!?

I have failed so many times. It's only Level 3, the hell!?

No Nukes No Stops :(

Epyon MX said:
So I just saved
Malik

Thanks.

Damn, I didn't know you could save
her
. I'm a few hours past there, I almost want to go back and try again.

I'll probably do it like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zSn28-mrgI (SPOILERS obviously).

Turfster

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I need some serious help here.

Hacking the Media Server in the Hive. HOW. THE. FUCK. IS. THIS. DONE!?

I have failed so many times. It's only Level 3, the hell!?

No Nukes No Stops :(
I assume you didn't get a preorder/bought the 'limited' (read: normal) european edition?
If you did, just use one of the automatic hackers ;)

Edit: If you do, let the bodyguard calm down before you walk away from it tho, otherwise he's going to take you down ;)

subversus

dmshaposv said:
I feel I should ramp the game up to "give me deus ex", I'm finding it too easy. 3-4 hours in and already up with Barett. :/

Do sidequests.

Also I presume you aren't doing much stealth.

Top Bottom