• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

ezekial45

Banned
Just beat it.

Such an amazing game. However, i'm gonna go with everyone else in saying that the last part of the game was a let down.
I really loved the setting of Panchea, but everything that happened there felt really rushed. In terms of plot, structure, and content. I'm just gonna assume that they were running out of time and they had to rush it a bit.

Plus those endings were very unsatisfying. Not so much that it was a pre-rendered cinematic of clips and videos from news media, but for the fact that it left so many loose ends with the actual plot. It was just very vague, doing everything in broad strokes. What happened to Sarif industries and Tai Yong medical? What about all the characters in Panchea? (if you decide not to blow up the facility)

Fallout: NV did a similar type of ending, but that did it much better. Way more detailed and a lot more thorough.

Anyway, it's still an amazing game. They had me up until that last part. I'm still looking forward to the DLC though.
My guess is that the hibernation pod has some sort of VR simulation that runs during the sleep period.

Londa said:
What if I don't have a Emp grenade?

Is there a way to shut it off?
If your hacking skills are good and you can find the security hub (computer) it's attached to, you can take it over and have it shoot at your enemies. Or just shut it off.

Also if you make it friendly and have the strength augment, you can walk around with it like it's your portable Gatling gun.

Zeliard

Incendiary said:
This is definitely my biggest complaint so far in the game. There should have been an aug that lets you regenerate more than one battery. I'd totally switch out an extra battery to the total for the ability to recharge two batteries instead.

Would be too overpowered if you could regen more than one cell, unless they never let you increase regen speed. They'd have to re-balance every energy-using augs around it, like cloak.

I think it's pretty goofy that you can't melee someone without energy, but otherwise I'm cool with the energy limit. I think an easy fix to this issue would have been to have takedowns take up nearly an entire energy cell, but not all - maybe 99% but not 100%, simply to allow the cells to regenerate.

The energy limit does make you get a bit inventive. One of my favorite things to do with cloak is to trigger it, peek around the corner and headshot someone with a silenced 10mm, then go back into hiding and de-cloak. Nobody sees anything and my energy cell recharges. If you time your cloak usage like that you can use it indefinitely, especially if you have both cloak and energy regen maxed out. It feels damn cool flipping around the environment, cloaking in and out, landing silenced headshots. Jensen the ninja robot assassin.

Having a grand time with the game. I assume I'm like 80% done, since I recently finished up the second Detroit hub and I'm on my way to Hengsha for the second time soon. If I had to call one section of the game the highlight so far, it'd probably have to be everything in Tai Yong Medical. That's when everything gelled together beautifully, from the level design to the combat options. I also really enjoyed the vocal confrontation with
Taggart
at the Detroit Convention Center. That was well-done on all fronts; his voice actor is also one of the stronger ones in the game.

Londa said:
What if I don't have a Emp grenade?

Is there a way to shut it off?

Yeah, if you find the Security Hub attached to it. Most of those are level 3 security, I believe.

What I like to do is get the turrets on my side (I never merely "disable" them - pfft) and then strut around with them, placing them at chokepoints and laughing as enemies (and occasionally enemy robots) go down in a hail of bullets.

I spent a good chunk of the Tai Yong Medical mission going around with a turret.

Neuromancer said:
Also if you make it friendly and have the strength augment, you can walk around with it like it's your portable Gatling gun.

My friend did this and
carried it into the 3rd boss fight room.
You can imagine what happened next :)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Neuromancer said:

yes, I have to try it.

Dilly

Banned
About seeing Haas back in Detroit

He wanted to shoot me, so I tazed him and dragger him back to my apt and put him on my bed, when I came back later he was dead. :(

ezekial45

Banned
Also for the next Deus Ex game, they should just get Square-Enix to produce the in game cinematic cutscenes. It was pretty jarring to see such a step down in quality from the CG in the trailers to the ones actually in the game.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The third boss either glitched on me, I encountered bad scripting or both:
While I hid behind a wall the guy sat in the corner shooting at me from the other side of the room while coming in and out of cloak. He moved, but never from that area. I took him down by taking shots when it was opened.

Last level spoiler: I'm guessing he's not supposed to look like that?

EDIT: ^
Hard to tell from that picture but he has little specks all over him.

A Human Becoming said:
The third boss either glitched on me, I encountered bad scripting or both:
While I hid behind a wall the guy sat in the corner shooting at me from the other side of the room while coming in and out of cloak. He moved, but never from that area. I took him down by taking shots when it was opened.

Last level spoiler: I'm guessing he's not supposed to look like that?
No that's what he looked like for me.

Edit: oh I don't see the specks

Karish

Just got the game from Gamefly, so I'm a little LTTP.

After playing the first major mission, WOW. This game rocks. Fully realized universe (ala Mass Effect) makes me a huge fan.

The conversation system, especially at the end of the first mission (with the hostage), really grabbed me.

Zeliard

Karish said:
Just got the game from Gamefly, so I'm a little LTTP.

After playing the first major mission, WOW. This game rocks. Fully realized universe (ala Mass Effect) makes me a huge fan.

The conversation system, especially at the end of the first mission (with the hostage), really grabbed me.

Make sure to snag the Social Enhancer augmentation. Adds a bit of spice to those "conversation battles."

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Damn this game... did a 6 hour marathon session yesterday. Went to sleep and 5AM, proceeded to dream I was playing the game/was Adam Jensen.

Eidos Montreal doubling their staff looks good for another game, but that was a given anyway. I would love to see a remake but would be happy with a new game too.

ezekial45

Banned
Velvet Cyberpunk said:
Eidos Montreal doubling their staff looks good for another game, but that was a given anyway. I would love to see a remake but would be happy with a new game too.

They've got Thief 4 coming up next.

Neiteio

What are the Thief games like? As with HR, I'd rather just wait for the modernization than play one of the older games. (Cringe away, enthusiasts!)

Turfster

Neiteio said:
What are the Thief games like? As with HR, I'd rather just wait for the modernization than play one of the older games. (Cringe away, enthusiasts!)
The thief games were awesome. (Yes, even the third one, altho it wasn't as good overall as the older ones.)

ezekial45

Banned
Neiteio said:

Stealth action game with heavy emphasis on atmosphere and narrative.

subversus

You people seem to forget that Thief is done by the other team. We may have another Conviction on our hands.

I'm not trying to start an argument here but I really don't get people who don't play older games. Do you avoid old movies and TV shows too? I just don't understand that.

Neiteio

subversus said:
You people seem to forget that Thief is done by the other team. We may have another Conviction on our hands.
The "other" team? What, you mean Eidos Montreal is split in two and only one half gave us DEHR?

Also, reading up on the Thief games on Wikipedia, they look like they can be quite suspenseful. Maybe I should play them!

Velvet Cyberpunk said:
I'm not trying to start an argument here but I really don't get people who don't play older games. Do you avoid old movies and TV shows too? I just don't understand that.
It's fine. I just generally choose to spend my limited time playing newer games that have the conventions and such that make gameplay more accessible/enjoyable. That's all. :)

Turfster

The thief series has given me the most suspenseful bits of gaming I've ever experienced. I was actually AFRAID and paralysed in some of the locations.

Zeliard

Neiteio said:
Also, reading up on the Thief games on Wikipedia, they look like they can be quite suspenseful. Maybe I should play them!

It's fine. I just generally choose to spend my limited time playing newer games that have the conventions and such that make gameplay more accessible/enjoyable. That's all. :)

lol, if you want "accessible" games (we all know what that euphemism means) then you should probably stay away from Thief.

Velvet Cyberpunk said:
The barrier to entry for watching an older movie or TV show (having a DVD player and a TV) is a lot lower than the barrier to entry for playing older games (having the systems they came out for, screwing around with settings for older PC games to work properly on new PCs.) And then of course there's having to deal with outdated or archaic game design, which isn't always easy or fun.

Neiteio

Zeliard said:
lol, if you want "accessible" games (we all know what that euphemism means) then you should probably stay away from Thief.
Eh, you're nitpicking terms. I mean "accessible" in the same way DEHR is "accessible," meaning, still for the core gamer but clean, streamlined, etc, like Elder Scrolls going from shitty Excel spreadsheets in Oblivion to gorgeous skillset constellations that intuitively lay out your perks in Skyrim.

Neiteio said:

I can respect that. I am sort of the same way in that I prefer shooters, first person, and less so third person. I don't hate other games, but I would rather spend my time with the games I like best. I guess the people who I am flummoxed by are those who dismiss an amazing game like DE just because it's ugly.

Hellcrow

Landed in Hengsha for the first time. Wanted to find hidden areas and do sidequests before the main one, so I randomly went through doors I could find and hack.
I find a door with a vent behind that leads me to this elevator shaft I climb. On top I find a "penthouse" with some guards and a bombed hole where a terminal I hacked was. Seemed like it was part of the main mission, and I got a bunch of exp and was called to go to the hive. This is before even talking to my contact in Hengsha.
Did I miss a lot?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Velvet Cyberpunk said:

This is a pretty weak argument. I'm not sure why it still comes up. Isn't it accepted knowledge by this point that certain "eras" of games, and certain games in particular, aged better than others?

I tried playing the original Deus Ex before HR came out, and I couldn't really do it. Too clunky... too dated. Things like inventory management, feedback-less stealth, INCREDIBLY bad voice acting, etc. I just couldn't get into it.

This summer I also played Halo 1 for the first time, a game released just one year later. And I played through it just fine. It aged nicely.

This doesn't mean I am claiming that Halo 1 is "better" than Deus Ex. Games are a reflection of the time period they came out.

Fans of specific old games FLIP OUT when someone says they couldn't get into something retro but... it's nothing personal. Like... I couldn't get into Deus Ex, but I don't think the game "sucks." Video games have just moved on, and DE1 was just too hard for me to enjoy. If you played it when it came out, I understand it's still awesome.

Example: I played Zelda 1 on the NES in the 80s. So I still think Zelda 1 is awesome. But I DIDN'T play Metroid 1... started with Super Metroid. So I had a very hard time going back and trying to play the original. This is not rocket science.

These sorts of discussions always devolve in the exact same way:

1) People will be insulted and say you have "no taste" and only like your "dumbed down modern shit" if you say you didn't like bombing random walls in Zelda 1 in 2011, or didn't like Deus Ex 1.

2) Someone else will come in and claim THEY played the game for the first time this year too, and liked it just fine. So something is wrong with you.

3) Some folks will actually understand, and agree with you.

subversus

Neiteio said:
Eh, you're nitpicking terms. I mean "accessible" in the same way DEHR is "accessible," meaning, still for the core gamer but clean, streamlined, etc, like Elder Scrolls going from shitty Excel spreadsheets in Oblivion to gorgeous skillset constellations that intuitively lay out your perks in Skyrim.

yes, and that's why you should probably stay away from old Thief games.

Old PC games are clunky by nature. DX:HR has this slick japanese console influence. Japanese games may be not that "liberating" as old-school western games but their core mechanics tend to be extremely polished and fun.

Neiteio

subversus said:

Old PC games are clunky by nature. DX:HR has this slick japanese console influence. Japanese games may be not that "liberating" as old-school western games but their core mechanics tend to be extremely polished and fun.
Ah, I understand you now. OK. :)

Well, I'm hoping Thief 4 won't be too long a wait and that it's as well-done as DEHR. I also hope it modernizes the franchise in a similar way, making it just as easy to pick up and play as, say, console BioShock.

In the meanwhile, maybe there's a good playthrough to watch on YouTube? Hmm.

Just beat it without getting pacifist. WTF. I think near the end I shot a mine and then I heard a guy (on the other side of a wall) yell. Maybe I can go back. Was wanting to be lethal next time.

subversus

Neiteio said:
Ah, I understand you now. OK. :)

Well, I'm hoping Thief 4 won't be too long a wait and that it's as well-done as DEHR. I also hope it modernizes the franchise in a similar way, making it just as easy to pick up and play as, say, console BioShock.

In the meanwhile, maybe there's a good playthrough to watch on YouTube? Hmm.

yeah, there was a good walkthrough to watch on youtube.
I did it and it was... fun. I wouldn't be able to get in the game though but I thought it was genius for its time.

I'll try to dig it up and post it here.

is it possible to get into panchaea without electro feet augmentation? I've always had it so i never did look for an alternate path. I'm doing a foxiest speed run and i am at a lack for praxis points. Would prefer to save where i can.

Wallach

subversus said:

Not sure I'm really feeling you on the Japanese influence thing.

Onion_Relish said:
is it possible to get into panchaea without electro feet augmentation? I've always had it so i never did look for an alternate path. I'm doing a foxiest speed run and i am at a lack for praxis points. Would prefer to save where i can.

Climb the containers on the left side and enter through the wall a couple stories up.

Neiteio

Velvet Cyberpunk said:
I can respect that. I am sort of the same way in that I prefer shooters, first person, and less so third person. I don't hate other games, but I would rather spend my time with the games I like best. I guess the people who I am flummoxed by are those who dismiss an amazing game like DE just because it's ugly.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing any older games. At some point, if I felt I had the time, I wouldn't mind watching a playthrough of the original DE, especially if I had some context (by way of an essay or some such) to help put in perspective what it was doing that was revolutionary at the time. I know the original DE contributed a great deal to the gaming world and was a trailblazer in many respects, and I recognize it as special. And even games that aren't credited with "contributing" anything, and that are also a bit dated in their design, I can recognize as special. They might be inaccessible to me, coming from them at the point of time where I'm at, but I respect that there was something intrinsic to their "personality" that charmed other people at the time. I never assume I wouldn't have been equally taken had I just tried the game in its proper time and place.

Deadbeat

Banned
Wallach said:
Not sure I'm really feeling you on the Japanese influence thing.
Its because some of the art style is similar to mgs2. Since one thing is like a japanese game it means the entire game is like a japanese game.
Neiteio said:
I wouldn't have been equally taken had I just tried the game in its proper time and place.
I didnt play Deus Ex till a couple years ago. You can still play the game and be amazed how far it is over so many other videogames out there.

Top Bottom