• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Vistrix said:
I'm running through the whole game again after failing to get the pacifist achievement somehow...
My guess is that you used the turrets to kill enemies, I thought that didn't count as a kill by my own hands neither lol

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Nose Master said:
Just got an achievement for (not plot related)
dropping a basketball in the hoop.
I high fived myself.
I didn't get an achievement for that! D-: And I made it from all the way across the court, too. Bitter nerd tears here.

In other news, I beat the game last night in a final five hour play session. The last sequence of events starting on [real spoilers]
the Hengsha docks
and ending at
Panchaea
were really good.
The final choice at the end was kinda cool, though my sense of ethics is so different than that of the games, so it wasn't much of a dilemma for me. Jensen's argument with Darrow was annoying to me for the same reasons -- the game had this pre-supposed set of ethics/morals/norms/logic that shaped the conversation, and it as annoying that I couldn't break out of that.

But these are minor complaints. Overall fantastic game.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Turfster said:
... Seriously?
Well, a good tranq takedown nets you the most XP, and you can't get the pacifist achievement if you kill people, if that's all you care about...

Really? I've never used a tranq gun but a double melee / non lethal is 145 xp

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
NaM said:
My guess is that you used the turrets to kill enemies, I thought that didn't count as a kill by my own hands neither lol

Another possibility is tossing an EMP grenade at a robot, who then goes into a self destruct sequence, which will kill nearby soldiers if they're sleeping.

Turfster

Gouty said:
Really? I've never used a tranq gun but a double melee / non lethal is 145 xp
Hm... now you're making me hesitate. =p
Either tranq headshot or nonlethal takedown is 50 and the other is 40... anyway, non-lethal options give more xp ;)

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I wouldn't sweat the xp difference between play styles because you still get drowned in it for simply completing missions, going undetected and hacking.

Just finished the game. Final boss is easy if you have a couple of EMP grenades handy.

I was expecting more from the ending but overall a great game.

Enco

Just finished the game.

Steam says at 21 hours but I'm certain that's wrong. Did most if not all of the side quests.

Pros
- It has the best atmosphere of any game I have ever played
- An interesting story
- Very open ended gameplay. Multiple paths to accomplish most things
- The soundtrack is beautiful
- The characters are interesting
- The voice acting is very good for the most part
- Some of the best gaming moments that I can remember (great set pieces)

Cons
- You can only regen on energy bar without food. Worst thing about the game. Seriously limits you
- The bosses are generic like crazy (2nd and 3rd were very hard. 1st and 4th were very easy)
- The cutscene quality is a complete joke
- The lip syncing is a complete joke
- Ending was just a monologue (for me anyway). A proper cutscene would have been nice
- The last mission or two felt rushed

Other Stuff
- Play with object highlight off. It makes the game much more fun
- Play with a FOV of 90 (at least)
- The creepy muscle mannequins were awesome
- The best play through is a mix between lethal and non lethal. For me anyway. I don't care for achievements
- Gonna play a complete terminator run next play through

Overall, definitely in my top 5 games of all time.

Lucius86

Banned
Just completed the game - definitely GOTY contender, but it wasn't as awesome as I hoped it to be. Which is unfair, because my hopes for the game were unrealistic to attain, yet it got so close to it. I would put this above Portal 2 overall, but other juggernauts are on the horizon.

The ending movies were nice, but the build-up was definitely a bit of a let-down - it just didn't seem to have as much momentum going forwards to it compared to previous scenarios. It didn't have as much impact as I hoped. XP balance was skewed, I purchased too many augs than I expected (I prefer the decision of deciding one aug over another like in DE1), boss fights were not great, and some characters just didn't get the decent closure I would have liked.
I really enjoyed Malik, and when I saved her in the firefight I hoped she would be more involved in the story afterwards than she was. A couple of radio transmissions, picked up the scientists, that's it.

All the negatives aside, definitely a great purchase, and nice to see a mature game again.

Thanks for my 35 hours of goodness Eidos Montreal.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Why can't I change the control configuration?

I mean really. Switching this stupid cover shit to R3 and having L1 work the iron sights would make combat 1000x more fun, but for whatever reason the control config is AWOL.

Nice.

Tarin02543

Is the compression quality for cgi cutscenes on consoles as bad as on pc? On pc it sometimes looks like a Real movie from the late nineties.

Anilusion

You guys freezing in cutscenes, I'm guessing you are running the game of a RAID drive? Move it to a non-raid Harddrive to fix the issue. I had the same problem when I first got the game. Moved the installation using Steam Mover, and played 30 hours without a crash or freeze.

Stitch

Gold Member
the game get's kinda boring and monotonous after hengsha :|
sneak here, sneak there... i want to interact with more NPCs.

Tarin02543 said:
Is the compression quality for cgi cutscenes on consoles as bad as on pc? On pc it sometimes looks like a Real movie from the late nineties.

Why would the console be better when the reason the compression is this shitty is 360's DVD space? =P

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
boundedseven said:
Just finished the game. Final boss is easy if you have a couple of EMP grenades handy.

I was expecting more from the ending but overall a great game.
It's even easier if
you have a laser rifle.

1) destroy turrets
2) Move up
3) Aim at Zhao through the glass
4) Profit

I literally took zero damage the entire fight as a result.

vaelic

Banned
Anilusion said:
You guys freezing in cutscenes, I'm guessing you are running the game of a RAID drive? Move it to a non-raid Harddrive to fix the issue. I had the same problem when I first got the game. Moved the installation using Steam Mover, and played 30 hours without a crash or freeze.
no RAID drive here

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
vaelic said:
no RAID drive here
Yeah, me neither. I've gotten freezes on a few of the ending cinematics, but nowhere else.

My specs:

Phenom II X4 840 3.4ghz
8GB DDR RAM
Radeon HD 6950 2GB

The ending cutscenes look fine on my machine, but holy shit, the others look terrible on my 40".

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Enco said:
Just finished the game.

It's refreshing to see someone acknowledge a games many flaws but yet realize that still, in their eyes, the game can be one of the best one has ever played.

I agree with almost everything you say.

Neiteio

Stitch said:
the game get's kinda boring and monotonous after hengsha :|
sneak here, sneak there... i want to interact with more NPCs.
You'll do plenty of that on your return trip to Detroit.

Speaking of which, anyone love following the DPD boxguard around Detroit? What a slick robot it is. I love the way it makes the controller rumble as it shambles along, and how it regards you with the blue light on its camera eye. The boxguards in Deus Ex, along with the Gekko in MGS4, are probably the most "convincing" creatures in videogames this generation, which is ironic since they're virtual takes on non-living robotic concepts. But there's so much personality and presence infused in the way they move and sound... It makes them alive in a way that the human NPCs can't quite match. I love it. :)

DX3_Boxguard_Droid_3d.jpeg

<3 <3 <3

I'm on my second trip to Hengsha. Here's hoping I can control a boxguard at some point. :)

Zenith

Banned
thetrin said:
It's even easier if
you have a laser rifle.

1) destroy turrets
2) Move up
3) Aim at Zhao through the glass
4) Profit

I literally took zero damage the entire fight as a result.

The grenade launcher is even easier. For any fight. But it is kind of a cheat, like a debug mode that spawns an explosion anywhere you point.

Enco said:
Cons
- You can only regen on energy bar without food. Worst thing about the game. Seriously limits you

This is definitely my biggest complaint so far in the game. There should have been an aug that lets you regenerate more than one battery. I'd totally switch out an extra battery to the total for the ability to recharge two batteries instead.

Neiteio

jett said:
Are there any repercussions to killing randoms?
What do you mean by killing randoms?

If I killed a gangster outside of a mission, one down in the sewers, that would still count against my pacifist run, right?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
eravulgaris said:
So is it worth it to play the original Deus Ex if I liked this one? Will I enjoy it?

If you can look past the terrible graphics, the outdated game design, terrible gunplay and some other jankiness then yes, you might enjoy Deus Ex 1.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Incendiary said:
This is definitely my biggest complaint so far in the game. There should have been an aug that lets you regenerate more than one battery. I'd totally switch out an extra battery to the total for the ability to recharge two batteries instead.
Yeah, I never even bothered spending Praxis points on extra batteries, cause they're largely worthless without recharge.

Edit - Just realized: I never found a Laser Rifle or a Grenade Launcher in my playthrough! I feel cheated, hah.

Neiteio

Wallach said:
OK, I'm glad that gangster's death would still count against me, because while that was an accident, it allowed me to go in guns blazing when I had to rescue
Malik
. Can't lose the pacifist award killing the Chinese soldiers if I was already disqualified by an accident back in Detroit!

I didn't want to kill the Chinese soldiers, though. When they closed in on her, I did what I felt a cop would do -- I spared no time fending off the threat to save the innocent life. I was quick (
well, save that needlessly fancy arm-blade finisher I did on the last sniper
).

omg.kittens said:
Yeah, I never even bothered spending Praxis points on extra batteries, cause they're largely worthless without recharge.
One of the game's best moments is
using a fully upgraded cloak to run straight past Zhao's bewildered guards when they storm you after the panic room
. Praxis points well-spent in that case. :)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Well fuck I just lost my foxiest run and I don't think I can reload.

During the Picus mission it would appear that an NPC discovered on the bodies I left in the hall and triggered an alarm when I wasn't there. So when I get deeper into the facility and noticed all the cameras were red I realized I was screwed.Even previous auto-save doesn't take me far back enough.

I don't suppose there is a way to completely restart the mission is there? I might just switch into a sociopath run if I can't.

Hello everyone! I can only find a copy of the game on the PS3, should I just go for it? Is there anything bad with the PS3 version? I don't have a good enough PC to run the game.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Doing my no kills or alarms run...

Question on a Hengsha sidequest:
Does dropping the pimp off the roof count as a kill? Is there another way to end that quest without doing that? I don't recall running into another option on my first time through.

Zeliard

Pancakes said:
If you can look past the terrible graphics, the outdated game design, terrible gunplay and some other jankiness then yes, you might enjoy Deus Ex 1.

This is starting to become a bad meme.

Dan said:

Does dropping the pimp off the roof count as a kill? Is there another way to end that quest without doing that? I don't recall running into another option on my first time through.

If you confront her about having to kill the dude
she gives you a package of drugs to frame him with. If you didn't you might be able to go back and talk to her. Dunno.

Wallach

Dan said:

Yeah it does. You need to ask her about another way of getting rid of him, she'll give you some drugs to plant in his apartment after you knock him out.

Neiteio

Sleeplessnights said:
Hello everyone! I can only find a copy of the game on the PS3, should I just go for it? Is there anything bad with the PS3 version? I don't have a good enough PC to run the game.
I'm loving the PS3 version. Close studies show the two console versions are virtually identical. You can't go wrong with either of them, so you'll be golden with PS3.

Derrick01

Banned
Incendiary said:

I would have been happy if they let you recharge everything except for 1 bar, but slightly slow down the recharge a bit. Like if you had 5 it would recharge up to 4. That way you don't have limits but if you needed to use a few bars somewhat quickly you could still pop some energy bars to help you out.

Neiteio

Stitch said:
ehh the trip back to detroit was really short.
But you do talk to
post-fired Haas
, and
Bradford
, and
Taggart
, and
Michelle
, and
Sandoval
, and
Nicky
in that time, and possibly others I'm forgetting. All RPG-style, with the dialogue choices... I really loved the return to Detroit. I kept a save before the second boss so I can easily revisit all the cool cutscenes leading out of Montreal and all the fun sidequests that go down in post-riot Detroit.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Zeliard said:
If you confront her about having to kill the dude
she gives you a package of drugs to frame him with. If you didn't you might be able to go back and talk to her. Dunno.
Wallach said:
Yeah it does. You need to ask her about another way of getting rid of him, she'll give you some drugs to plant in his apartment after you knock him out.
Cool, thanks guys.

Just finished my first play-through. Got Foxiest and Pacifist, which was a relief after reading so many stories of unnoticed accidental kills. 24 hours total time. No crashes, DX11 mode.

Great game, my favorite so far this year I think. This is the game I always wanted when I was playing other stealth action, shooter-rpg, and even open world games. It does so many things right and delivered exactly what I wanted out of this type of game.

One thing that surprised me is how many praxis points the game gives you. You get tons of experience from getting the hidden data while hacking and there are a few praxis kits just sitting around in the world. I ended with probably 12 more than I ever expected to have. I put a lot of my final points into stuff I didn't really care about. I might go out of my way to spec differently on my next play-through just for variety.

Andrew.

Banned
Evolved1 said:
Why can't I change the control configuration?

I mean really. Switching this stupid cover shit to R3 and having L1 work the iron sights would make combat 1000x more fun, but for whatever reason the control config is AWOL.

Nice.

I felt the same way at first. BUT, this isnt COD which is where your control scheme desire is from. just keep at it...it becomes fluid after a while.

Londa

Banned
Zeliard said:
An EMP gren will fuck up mechanical enemies of all sorts. Aug'd bosses get fried and mechs, robots, turrets die on the spot.

What if I don't have a Emp grenade?

Is there a way to shut it off?

Top Bottom