• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Eccocid

I am having some sort of mouse lag in this game and it makes things very difficult when i try to aim in combat.
I am playing on 2011 macbook pro with bootcamp which has a ati radeon card.
Is there anyway to reduce this weird mouse thing. It is almost like Killzone 2.

Wow, this is really bad. I launched the game in German to practice my Deutsch, and ALL the environment is in English. I'm not talking only about FMVs, also LIMB posters, directions in Hengsha, etc. Was it really that difficult to code German into these things?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Castor Krieg said:
Wow, this is really bad. I launched the game in German to practice my Deutsch, and ALL the environment is in English. I'm not talking only about FMVs, also LIMB posters, directions in Hengsha, etc. Was it really that difficult to code German into these things?

these are textures. they're not coded, they are drawn.

Castor Krieg said:

Srs?

Zenith

Banned
Castor Krieg said:

Why would Detroit have signs in German?

Turfster

Castor Krieg said:
How many textures feature text? I'm not talking about every single texture in the game.

Also, stuff in Detroit is in English, stuff in Hengsha is mainly in hanzi. Both cities still aren't in Germany (or Italy or Spain or France or whatever other language you're playing it in), so it makes more sense to have stuff in the language the people that live there use, no?

Castor Krieg said:
In Poland I'm used to poor localizations ("cinema type" - subs + text only). I figured Germany is much more important market, that's all.

How many games can you think of that have multiple textures to account for languages?

Rufus

subversus said:
I loved how he lost it when I pointed out
that he hates augmented people because he can't be augmented himself due to his genetic incompatibility with augs
. Truth hurts, bitch.
Yeah, but the thing is...
We have pretty advanced prosthetics now. Ones that don't depend on your genetic make-up to work. I'd imagine those to be even more advanced, without actually connecting nerves to wires. It rang so hollow for me that this was his reason in light of that. So your artificial limb doesn't plug right into your nervous system, big fucking deal. And that it was this pathetically easy to point it out to him was a massive let down. He just looked like a fool to me after that.
And did anyone else expect him to actually reveal that
he was augmented? Particularly the arm you never see? I couldn't see how he would have survived the chaos otherwise, but I guess he can swing that crutch of his really hard. Or he somehow programmed people to not attack him, I suppose...

subversus

Castor Krieg said:
In Poland I'm used to poor localizations ("cinema type" - subs + text only). I figured Germany is much more important market, that's all.

Damn, I wish such "poor" localization were mandatory for all countries.

Castor Krieg said:

Usually the localization of games for the German market is very poor, due to several reason. For example, the voice acting sometimes is exaggerating to much, but then it is sometimes too drowsy. Also it is seldom lip synced.

But the worst point is, that very often the German version of a game is cut, i.e. no blood/black blood or robots instead of humans. That is how the government tries to protect its citizens from gore and brutality. Like in the US with sexual content ;)

Carbonox

Finished the game just now.
Should have found Taggart as his ending suggestion is the only one I need for that ending trophy but I'll do it in my next run

Truly brilliant game I think. Takes a while to get in to its stride story-wise but I really enjoyed it. Also has the best soundtrack of the generation IMO. It, combined with the great art style, really sets a solid atmosphere.

Solid 9/10 I think.

Kyoufu said:
Controls on the PS3 version make me cry. You can't even change them...
i'm perfectly fine with them. What's the problem? Although i think options to customise should be there too.

cleveridea said:
nice to see the game still at number 1 in UK.

amazing. This is not a popular franchise. Great timing and great mouth to mouth exposure. I allready made three people buy it who never even heard of it.

JohngPR

Beat it last night! Took me 40 hours total

Awesome game. Seriously on my short list of GOTY contenders so far (note that this is before Gears 3, Uncharted 3, and Skyrim come out LOL).

What's great about the game is the world and the people in it. The game does a great job of making them feel like people that are actually in the world as opposed to little kiosks you walk up to in order to get some voice acting (I'm looking at you Dragon Age II!). The towns are also packed with details and atmosphere (still looking at you DAII!).

The shooting mechanics are serviceable, but nothing to write home about. Keep in mind I didn't use weapon stabilizer augs since I was a stealth build so I don't know of those augs makes the shooting mechanics a little tighter. Still they get the job done for the most part and I loved the stealth mechanics in the game. It's straight up classic Metal Gear, which I LOVE so it's a given that I loved that aspect of the game.

The boss fights are totally pedestrian and one of them is so fucking cheap and rage inducing. Luckily, there's only three of them and 2/3 are incredibly easy. It's easily the worst aspect of the game, but at least there aren't a lot of them.

End game spoilers:
The game has three endings similar to those of the original Deus Ex. I went with Darrow's ending where you tell the truth and let humans figure it out from there. It was pretty sweet to throw in his face why he's not augmented. Sick burn! LOL

The other endings dealt with helping the Illuminati directly and basically covering everything up for the "greater good", which didn't feel right. I quick saved right before I chose so I'll go back and see the other endings and save one of them (probably blowing everything up, including yourself) for my 2nd playthrough.

I got the pacifism achievement which apparently only 1% of people have gotten according to Steam, so I feel pretty good about it. I didn't get the Foxiest of Hounds achievement though, but I'm not pissed off because I honestly didn't think about going for it until I was a few hours into the game so I probably got that alarm in the opening prologue. :(

Also for those that beat it, stay until after the credits. You'll get a nice little surprise if you do. ;)

Solo

Wallach said:
I just double checked, and it is reload rate.

If you look through the windows you won't see the shelves, though you'll find them still when you go through the door on the same ledge as that sniper.

A gentleman and a scholar, you are!

Sciz said:
Without reading through 300 pages of thread, have we gone off on a tangent about how great Lazarus is yet? Because he's the best written character in the game.

Lazarus is awesome. Perfect combination of Rush Limbaugh and Art Bell. He sounds like a nutjob, but he's always right...

cackhyena

JohngPR said:
What's great about the game is the world and the people in it. The game does a great job of making them feel like people that are actually in the world as opposed to little kiosks you walk up to in order to get some voice acting (I'm looking at you Dragon Age II!).
While I think the atmosphere is really good, for me, it's def not the people that make it that way. I'd say kiosks are a pretty good way to label these people. They hardly move from their little spots. I'm hoping a sequel has more intelligent AI and NPC stuff going on. More diversity in all areas.

adg1034 said:
So, I'm way too proud of myself. In that... one situation where all the enemies are shooting at... something that isn't you
Malik
, and you get to decide whether or not to engage everyone to try and save that something, I first went through that situation ignoring everything, figuring things would just work out. Oops. Then I realized "ohshitohshitohshit,
I don't have any concussion or gas grenades/mines, and I'm doing a pacifist run, ohshitohshitohshit." Note that I hadn't seen the gas canisters. My first five tries were exclusively tranq gun-based. That just took waaaaay too long. She always died. Reload, rinse, repeat. Then, lightbulb moment ahoy, cloak -> stun gun everybody but the snipers/throw an EMP grenade at the HUGE ROBOT then drag the nearby merc's body away before it had a chance to die by explosion -> tranq the snipers. Only to find that I hadn't gotten to the merc in time, so he died, which meant I needed to reload a Sarif autosave to try it again since the one from the beginning of the fight had been replaced. Then, though, it worked.

And that, dear readers, is how Adam Jensen, the
cloaked stungun badass, saved Malik
without killing anyone.

This is a great story.

...I killed them all in a thrilling shootout, where I alternated between an invisible sniper and a very visible one-man assault team.

And that's the beauty of the game. Beat it last night, will play again in a few months, great game.

Also for those that beat it, stay until after the credits. You'll get a nice little surprise if you do. ;)

That was a nice little surprise.

subversus

JohngPR said:
End game spoilers:
The game has three endings similar to those of the original Deus Ex. I went with Darrow's ending where you tell the truth and let humans figure it out from there. It was pretty sweet to throw in his face why he's not augmented. Sick burn! LOL

The other endings dealt with helping the Illuminati directly and basically covering everything up for the "greater good", which didn't feel right. I quick saved right before I chose so I'll go back and see the other endings and save one of them (probably blowing everything up, including yourself) for my 2nd playthrough.

didn't you get 4 endings??

feel

Why is this $46 on Amazon? Didn't it just come out and with pretty positive reception.

My once huge hype for this disappeared when I started seeing all the 3rd person stuff in gameplay vids, and the outlines, the typical current gen handholding, etc. But the praise has been hard to ignore, was gonna wait for a bit to see if it was deserved or just people excited at a deus ex game not being completely atrocious, but that price made me jump in much sooner. I hope the story, exploration, atmosphere and interactions out of missions are nice and good enough to make up for the possibly underwhelming combat/stealth gameplay during missions.

Sullichin

Letters said:
Why is this $46 on Amazon? Didn't it just come out and with pretty positive reception.

My once huge hype for this disappeared when I started seeing all the 3rd person stuff in gameplay vids, and the outlines, the typical current gen handholding, etc. But the praise has been hard to ignore, was gonna wait for a bit to see if it was deserved or just people excited at a deus ex game not being completely atrocious, but that price made me jump in much sooner. I hope the story, exploration, atmosphere and interactions out of missions are nice and good enough to make up for the possibly underwhelming combat/stealth gameplay during missions.

The stealth is awesome and you can turn object highlighting off if that's not your thing.

Enco

Letters said:

You can disable object highlight.

subversus

Letters said:

Because they always do that:

IGDA said:
Amazon steeply discounts (or makes completely totally free) a hit game at a time when the game is currently promoting extremely nicely. This sort of promotional activity may possibly attract buyers away from competing markets and into Amazon’s arms. But it may well actually represent a net loss for the developer, which was already performing fairly effectively and didn’t need to firesale its game at that moment in time.

Enco said:
You can disable object highlight.

and automatic inventory handling.

and so on.

Letters said:

Just because there is a sale doesn't mean it is doing poorly.

The game is good. Stealth, combat, story, everything works well.

My only gripe so far is the insane over reaction of the npcs. Chasing me down with gunfire until I'm dead is not a great tradeoff for throwing a cardboard box at you. No sane person would ever do that. But I just remember that I'm playing a game and move on. Also, everyone moves strange when they talk for some reason.

Branson

Forkball said:
The PC version digital download is $35 right now on Amazon. That means you could be playing it in minutes. MINUTES.
People can download 10 gigs in minutes? What am I doing wrong with my life.

subversus

Dark Octave said:
My only gripe so far is the insane over reaction of the npcs. Chasing me down with gunfire until I'm dead is not a great tradeoff for throwing a cardboard box at you. No sane person would ever do that. But I just remember that I'm playing a game and move on.

I saw people almost killing other people for lesser reasons. But they weren't sane!

Turfster

Dark Octave said:
Chasing me down with gunfire until I'm dead is not a great tradeoff for throwing a cardboard box at you. No sane person would ever do that.
I dunno, if you threw a cardboard box at me, I'd hunt you down and kill you... and your little doggie too! ;)

WHAT THE ...

It has been a very long time since I made the effort to buy a physical copy of a video game on PC (bar collector edition such as Starcraft, Oblivion and the likes).

So that's what it has come to? Knowing the franchise very well, I was a expecting a great manufactured manual. Like you would expect for such a game.

What the Fuck man? Keyboard layout + installation code?

No, seriously, what the hell!

Do the people who bought the augmented edition scored a nice game manual? Fuck me seriously, why did I even bothered to buy the game from a local retailer? Yeah I'm mad. What happened to our game manuals?!

I enjoyed reading a very nicely made video game manual, info on the different characters, story background while in the bathroom but no...

Excuse the nerd rage. I will hopefully enjoy the game, but damn that was irritating.

PS : No I don't want to print it from a .pdf. I bought the damn game, I want the manual that goes with it!!! Yes I'm raging!!

JohngPR

cackhyena said:
While I think the atmosphere is really good, for me, it's def not the people that make it that way. I'd say kiosks are a pretty good way to label these people. They hardly move from their little spots. I'm hoping a sequel has more intelligent AI and NPC stuff going on. More diversity in all areas.

You can walk and listen in on people having conversations which is more than Dragon Age II did. That game really made it seem like the people were only there for you to hear voice acting from. They might as well have had "Press here for me to talk" over the top of their heads. It really gave the world a fake feeling.

I just thought having people walking around, sitting in restaurants, laying down in pods, etc just added something to the ambience. Other RPG's (I'm picking on DAII to make my point) really lack in that area this generation, IMO (The Witcher 2 not withstanding lol).

subversus said:
didn't you get 4 endings??

Yes, forgot to add that one. I think I'm going to watch the other 3 via quick save and save seeing the 4th one for my 2nd playthrough. :)

JohngPR said:
You can walk and listen in on people having conversations which is more than Dragon Age II did. That game really made it seem like the people were only there for you to hear voice acting from. They might as well have had "Press here for me to talk" over the top of their heads. It really gave the world a fake feeling.

I just thought having people walking around, sitting in restaurants, laying down in pods, etc just added something to the ambience. Other RPG's (I'm picking on DAII to make my point) really lack in that area this generation, IMO (The Witcher 2 not withstanding lol).

Yes, forgot to add that one. I think I'm going to watch the other 3 and save seeing the 4th one for my 2nd playthrough. :)
So the fork in the road for all the endings is near the end of the game?

Septimius

Hahah, I just found this

dxlol.png

Top Bottom