• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

red731

And one glitch(except another one, the MCB guy in wall in Cloaks & Daggers) that made me rage - playing the normal way, stun and hide eneny in front of the bla bla gardens court yard in Hengsha and then saved the game when on second side of the yard :

after reloading save, one soldier is running through the alleyway right on the place when the stunned guys body is, what the hell was that? I think it was his dupe and game shared the position for both the dead and alive one...

Van Buren

Done with the game. While there’s enough to like to warrant at least a playthrough, I also found it disappointing since a lot of the elements aren’t as fleshed out as they appear initially.

On a second playthrough, it became apparent that the main narrative is mostly a linear affair, with minor changes depending on one’s choices. This wouldn’t matter if the tale the game was trying to tell was a ripping yarn, but I found the writing and story to be largely forgettable; apart from a handful of character interactions, the characters shared far too little screen time for me to care about their fates, and there is a general lack of closure with regards to the fates of most characters, with no hints given as to whether their story arcs are considered finished. The best part of the game’s narrative to me was the constant stream of references to the first game.

In addition to this, the side missions were far too simplistic in their narrative choice. I would have loved to see more choices like choosing to side with one faction over another in addition to the choices of stealth/hacking/combat that the missions offer. For instance, in one of the earliest side missions, it was frustrating that I couldn’t divulge the information I had collected to a third party, like I normally can in CRPGs. Moreover, there was hardly any dilemma to go with any of the side missions, and the one mission which featured an interesting moral conflict, Talion A.D., was also my favorite of the bunch since it featured zero hand-holding and significant consequences for one’s actions.

Moving onto the core gameplay, the game’s unbalanced in how it rewards a hacker who resorts to stealth takedowns. While the hacking minigame is interesting initially, it quickly wore out its welcome, and had me wishing for an auto-resolve option determined by my hacking skill. I could have opted against hacking most terminals, but a lot of the backstory and to a lesser extent, alternate routes, are locked away behind hacking.

As a stealth game, at a glance it appears more than competent when compared to hybrids such as Assassin’s Creed, Alpha Protocol, etc. When compared to games that were designed around stealth though, I didn’t find the stealth gameplay compelling due to a lack of challenge. The chief culprit here is the dumb-as-rocks AI, that when not stuck in an endless loop of trying to activate a hacked alarm panel, is far too near-sighted and lenient in detecting player presence. The Alarmed state should probably have been reworked to be far less forgiving, and there should have been more negative consequences for taking out a patrol than just reduced XP gain(or more, if one took them down non-lethally). For the sake of Thief 4, I hope Eidos Montreal rapidly improves in this regard, by fleshing out stealth to offer a lot more options than HR does.

Speaking of XP, an always-hostile playthrough is easily the most challenging and dynamic playstyle, but paradoxically gives the least xp. I prefer the Bloodlines way of awarding a chunk of xp for the completion of a task, irrespective of the fate that befalls the enemies. Either that, or Ghost should have reserved only for leaving every enemy and turret/camera, etc. untouched. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t matter though, since Praxis points and XP are too abundant, making the planning of character builds feel inconsequential.

While I didn't love the game like I thought I would, going by the leak, I still think it will go down as one the best games of the year, thanks to the strengths of the non-linear Deus Ex design.

SHAZOOM

Finished it. Overall, I love the game, but I'm a bit dissappointed in how few sidequests there were towards the end of the game.

And I missed a sidequest
TALION A.D
. Fuck me.

I need to find
Taggert+Sarif for their endings (already got the Darrow/Sacrifice endings).

Then I'll need a break before I start another play through. For the most part, I think my build was pretty balanced. Got most everything except Poison Ventilation/Stealth Enhancer/CASIE. I don't think I needed a CASIE, since I won most of the social debates in the game in my favor.

Also,
saved MALIK with my explosive pistol skills and a EMP. Ended up being a cake walk.

Sciz

Without reading through 300 pages of thread, have we gone off on a tangent about how great Lazarus is yet? Because he's the best written character in the game.

Nome

Havok said:
No, it doesn't introduce that at all. That explains a lot about why I was confused, actually. It was still a neat moment seeing how Tracer got the name, but Tong kept talking about 'my son' and I didn't know what to make of it.

I think the boat is named after his son. There's an email somewhere that's signed "T. Tong".

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The alarm after
Zhao
doesn't count against a Foxiest run, right?

See You Next Wednesday said:
I believe Lazarus is the radio host.

Hi guys, i think i need some help here. I'm trying to find TONG.
conversation with the guy upstairs was fucked up so i had to do the bartender sidemission. I had to collect money from this woman. Completed that sidemission, but now there is no objective anymore...
what to do?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Always-honest said:
Hi guys, i think i need some help here. I'm trying to find TONG.
conversation with the guy upstairs was fucked up so i had to do the bartender sidemission. I had to collect money from this woman. Completed that sidemission, but now there is no objective anymore...
what to do?
I would assume if you screwed up the bartender conversation that your other option is to sneak into the other areas of The Hive without any help.

Dan said:
I would assume if you screwed up the bartender conversation that your other option is to sneak into the other areas of The Hive without any help.
That was my option as well. Just search for the bastard myself. Okay, will try that.
thetechkid said:
I now see why the typhoon is the boss killer.
I now hope i didn't read a spoiler.

malfcn

Ain't trying to be foxy this time, but another alarm question.

Tried to take-down 2 guards, but because one was sitting it wouldn't let me. I immediately took down the second guy. For a second it flashed alarmed on the radar. For the cheevo it has to be a red flashing siren and all for it to be bad, right?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
malfcn said:
Ain't trying to be foxy this time, but another alarm question.

Tried to take-down 2 guards, but because one was sitting it wouldn't let me. I immediately took down the second guy. For a second it flashed alarmed on the radar. For the cheevo it has to be a red flashing siren and all for it to be bad, right?

I think you're OK - I heard that it doesn't matter if your radar briefly goes "Hostile", as long as no actual alarm is set off.

However, to really make sure you get it, I'd probably reload and try the encounter again.

TTG

Finally finished it tonight. This is a case of starting out with all the potential in the world only to end up with an average-above average game. The Deus Ex style gameplay, heavy Ghost in the Shell influence, even the story had an interesting hook! I wish it didn't dissolve into the cringe worthy BS so many games fall into, accompanied by Adam crossing and uncrossing his arms. I actually tried to skip the final cutscene and I'm usually patient with this stuff. The augmentation is ultimitely worthless, considering at most they offer convenience. Every once in a while your weapon choice or augments will truly offer an interesting solution(
hopping around in the dockyard or actually putting all that heavy firepower to good use when saving the pilot
) but these are few and far in between. This lowest possible denominator also makes itself felt in the overwhelming amount of upgrades and money available at any given time. At the end of the game I had over 20k in cash along with the best weapons with the best upgrades and ended with praxis points left over because I couldn't bring myself to buy the "you can sprint 20 feet further now!" stuff. No need to babble on really, at no point is it bad, it's just never great either.

My two favorite games of the year have a similar problem...they start off with a bang and end with a whimper. What shitty final acts (I'm talking about the Witcher 2 and Deus Ex HR)

I got really sick of blowing past all those lame zombies at the end of the game.

Still I love Human Revolution a lot. Just saying it falls off a bit towards the end. Nothing will top the original for me though.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
TTG said:
The augmentation is ultimitely worthless, considering at most they offer convenience. Every once in a while your weapon choice or augments will truly offer an interesting solution(
hopping around in the dockyard or actually putting all that heavy firepower to good use when saving the pilot
) but these are few and far in between.

This was exactly the case with the original game though. They can't block off solutions just because you're not augmented enough to use them.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Nose Master said:
I'm about to leave Hub City 2. Are there only 3 sidequests there? (I'm counting both the hooker quests as one.)

I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say: yes, and keep playing.

Remember, it's very difficult to miss any of the sidequests.

adg1034 said:
So, I'm way too proud of myself. In that... one situation where all the enemies are shooting at... something that isn't you
Malik
, and you get to decide whether or not to engage everyone to try and save that something, I first went through that situation ignoring everything, figuring things would just work out. Oops. Then I realized "ohshitohshitohshit,
I don't have any concussion or gas grenades/mines, and I'm doing a pacifist run, ohshitohshitohshit." Note that I hadn't seen the gas canisters. My first five tries were exclusively tranq gun-based. That just took waaaaay too long. She always died. Reload, rinse, repeat. Then, lightbulb moment ahoy, cloak -> stun gun everybody but the snipers/throw an EMP grenade at the HUGE ROBOT then drag the nearby merc's body away before it had a chance to die by explosion -> tranq the snipers. Only to find that I hadn't gotten to the merc in time, so he died, which meant I needed to reload a Sarif autosave to try it again since the one from the beginning of the fight had been replaced. Then, though, it worked.

And that, dear readers, is how Adam Jensen, the
cloaked stungun badass, saved Malik
without killing anyone.

You must have nerves of steel.
I would have had a stroke just trying to attempt that

TTG

thelatestmodel said:
This was exactly the case with the original game though. They can't block off solutions just because you're not augmented enough to use them.

Optional objectives and sidequests would be a good start. Both of the scenarios I mentioned do just that. In one, if you don't have the firepower to deal with the ambush, or you're playing a certain way, you're forced into a really hard situation(as described by the poster above). In the other, jumping high and a couple environmental abilities allow you to get on a level above the patrolling guards, which cuts down on your exposure, which WOULD be beneficial if you weren't maxed on everything by that point. Too bad 9 times out of 10 there's just a vent for that. Also, after about a third of the game, there are no longer even the problems you face when getting into the alley behind the police station(in that
if you don't have the jump aug you can't just hop over the fence and if you don't have the anti-electricity thing for the passage through the electrified corridor, you're then forced to go through the gang infested sewers
). Why? Because you have the ability to upgrade just about everything at any time.

And this is just the stuff I thought of in the 5 minutes it took me to type this out, certainly nothing extraordinary... solutions can be found. The question is, did they bother? I'm guessing they thought that turning the player away or limiting him in any way at all would be met with criticism, so why bother?

Nose Master

TTG said:
Optional objectives and sidequests would be a good start. Both of the scenarios I mentioned do just that. In one, if you don't have the firepower to deal with the ambush, or you're playing a certain way, you're forced into a really hard situation(as described by the poster above). In the other, jumping high and a couple environmental abilities allow you to get on a level above the patrolling guards, which cuts down on your exposure, which WOULD be beneficial if you weren't maxed on everything by that point. Too bad 9 times out of 10 there's just a vent for that. Also, after about a third of the game, there are no longer even the problems you face when getting into the alley behind the police station(in that
if you don't have the jump aug you can't just hop over the fence and if you don't have the anti-electricity thing for the passage through the electrified corridor, you're then forced to go through the gang infested sewers
). Why? Because you have the ability to upgrade just about everything at any time.

And this is just the stuff I thought of in the 5 minutes it took me to type this out, certainly nothing extraordinary... solutions can be found. The question is, did they bother? I'm guessing they thought that turning the player away or limiting him in any way at all would be met with criticism, so why bother?

I got over that fence by stackin' dumpsters. Didn't have the jump yet.

TTG

Nose Master said:
I got over that fence by stackin' dumpsters. Didn't have the jump yet.

But you had the strength aug! Playing around with that stuff is great. One of the best augs that look very niche at first glance. Same goes for the adrenaline/double take down, loads of fun.

kitch9

Banned
TTG said:

You can get through the electrified passage with no augs at all if you wanted.

daviyoung

Banned
Got onto the last level last night. My GOTY 2011 so far.

Eidos Montreal seem to have come out of nowhere, and although this is nowhere near as deep as Deus Ex it's the best WRPG-lite I've played since Mass Effect 1. Hopefully they'll get a bit deeper into the world/story/mechanics with DX:HR DLC, or subsequent games. It's been nicely dumbed-down and modernised, but I found it all way too easy.

Would like to hear impressions from people unaccustomed to these sorts of games, and gauge the popularity of them.

red731

thelatestmodel said:
I'm on my second playthrough and still can't put it down. Games aren't supposed to do that to me any more!

You just have been augumented.

daviyoung said:
Is there a New Game + for this? I have about 10 unspent Praxis points.

I red that NG+ isnt possible. Maybe they can add that with some DLC or patch.

Oh, I LOVE THE MUSIC.

Just discovered the suppressor on my second playthrough. Bravo to the sound guy, it sounds fantastic, best I've ever heard in a game.

The AI being absolutely helpless as I pick em off one by one with my silenced pistol is hilarious too - can't trigger an alert, can't come up the stairs after me, can't even get behind cover... hahahaha...haha....ha :\

FStop7

Banned
Oh you have got to be kidding me.

mid/late game

Finding Malik's corpse being cut up in the Harvesters' lair and having to just walk away from that because of that fuckface Tong? I wanted to blow his head off.

Zenith

Banned
FStop7 said:

mid/late game

Finding Malik's corpse being cut up in the Harvesters' lair and having to just walk away from that because of that fuckface Tong? I wanted to blow his head off.

There are several rare occasions where critical NPCs are out in the open in a place where you can use guns. Unfortunately the game turns them invulnerable then.

Salsa

FStop7 said:

mid/late game

oh shit

now i wish i hadnt saved her

lol

daviyoung

Banned
FStop7 said:

It's great that the game has these discovery moments. I remember when Pritchard told me to stay away from the ladies toilets because I'd wandered in there before talking to him.

Salsa

daviyoung said:
It's great that the game has these discovery moments. I remember when Pritchard told me to stay away from the ladies toilets because I'd wandered in there before talking to him.

that's a reference to the first game, where the same thing happened

Riposte

The final conversation encounter with
Hugh Darrow
was my favorite one and made him a cool character to me alone. However, the game does almost nothing with
Darrow
before or after.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Riposte said:
The final conversation encounter with
Hugh Darrow
was my favorite one and made him a cool character to me alone. However, the game does almost nothing with
Darrow
before or after.

I loved how he lost it when I pointed out
that he hates augmented people because he can't be augmented himself due to his genetic incompatibility with augs
. Truth hurts, bitch.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
CosmicGroinPull said:
The AI being absolutely helpless as I pick em off one by one with my silenced pistol is hilarious too - can't trigger an alert, can't come up the stairs after me, can't even get behind cover... hahahaha...haha....ha :\

Do you play it on consoles? They all do this on PC. Come up on stairs, get behind the cover very fast, search for you, chase you and storm into rooms. It seems that console versions were gimped pretty nice in this regard. Or PC version was improved as they had promised.

Sotha Sil said:
I wish Pritchard was... normaler. Jacobson was a pretty chill dude.

Yeah Jacobson wasn't bad. He was normal but pretty chilled out.

Pritchard was just a straight stereotypical annoying prick. And they had to make the dude British to imply they're all assholes or something. I had my fill of these characters in those shitty AC games.

Sotha Sil

Playing it both on console and PC for various reasons, and I chose to play stealth on the PS3, as I found the AI is just awful when it comes to fighting/searching. Breaks the immersion.

TTG

Sotha Sil said:
Playing it both on console and PC for various reasons, and I chose to play stealth on the PS3, as I found the AI is just awful when it comes to fighting/searching. Breaks the immersion.

I thought it was pretty serviceable. It would definitely make a better stealth/splinter cell type game than a fps. Occasionally you'll still get that moment where everyone is instantly aware of your location because you missed one shot and with a silenced weapon at that, but most of the time it's fine. The different levels of awareness is a good mechanic, take down stuff works well. I thought the searching was good too, they'll open doors and walk past the spot where shit breaks down, but their persuit/attention span is just good enough without being annoying

Riposte

What they should have done with the second boss fight:

Have it take place in the Picus TV studio, but as totally optional(if you skip it, she appears as normal). Have her sneaking around in the first room before/after you see Eliza. Would have fit the atmosphere perfectly.

Riposte

I had an issue with the FPS -> TPS(cover) transition. In really tense situations(mainly the bosses), I'd run at enemies with no gun in my hands or with the gun being unloaded because it was easily to lose track of what my hands were doing. That could have been handled more smoothly.

EDIT: Oh, a double post.

CosmicGroinPull said:
Just discovered the suppressor on my second playthrough. Bravo to the sound guy, it sounds fantastic, best I've ever heard in a game.
I've mentioned this before but I don't think the gun sound effects are getting enough praise. We're kinda taking it for granted. They all sound SO meaty and satisfying, and the fact that you have limited ammo makes you appreciate it that much more.

Revolver and revolver + explosive attachment
10mm and silenced 10mm
Shotty
Sniper rifle (so strong... love the slight echo. Wish I could try the silenced version but damn DLC exclusive!)
Machine pistol silenced
Plasma rifle
Most of the explosive ordinance sounds great as well

All these sound so good. I think only the BF Bad Company series (and BF3 soon) has better gun sound fx... those guys at DICE are wizards.

Top Bottom