• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

JohngPR

Dark Octave said:
So the fork in the road for all the endings is near the end of the game?

There is a point in the game where you can save and watch all three endings, yes.

Not sure if the answer to your question is a spoiler so I marked it just in case.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
JohngPR said:
You can walk and listen in on people having conversations which is more than Dragon Age II did. That game really made it seem like the people were only there for you to hear voice acting from. They might as well have had "Press here for me to talk" over the top of their heads. It really gave the world a fake feeling.

I just thought having people walking around, sitting in restaurants, laying down in pods, etc just added something to the ambience. Other RPG's (I'm picking on DAII to make my point) really lack in that area this generation, IMO (The Witcher 2 not withstanding lol).

More like all these people are built like real people. They have their own reasons. While writing is questionable characters were great and consistent. For example
I wanted to punch this chinese brocker in the face and take her money because she sounded pretty arrogant unless I decided to hear her story. I knew people like her and could relate to her situation. So I payed her out.

I love it when the usual quick thinking Adam is at a loss for words. One of my favorite conversations was
between Malik and Jenson in Hensha. You meet her at the Alice Garden Pods, and when I hit "Activate Pheremones" she says "Don't even think about using that CASIE mod on me.

"Oh, um, er, wouldn't dream of it."

Great stuff. I think they did a fanstastic job on Adam's character.

inky

Finished the game yesterday. According to steam it took me some 27hrs to finish. Some short thoughts for those interested:

-The story is OK. I like that it felt gamey (as opposed to 'too serious' or even 'pretentious' or trying to come up with a million insane twists) and if you approach it like that even the couple of revelations are well done, although I admit for all the shit Adam uncovers you'd think he'd trust people less than he does sometimes.

-The gameplay was alright as well. There's a lot of hacking but, honestly, it never felt too boring but I avoided it when I could. For some brief moments there was some awesome potential for platforming as well, but this is never fully realized (or even half-realized really).
Now I don't know if I should make my second playthrough a no-kill stealth one or a murderous rampage. Too bad I went with stealth/sniper thing first, tho I don't really care for achievements.

-It surprises me that some people around the net found any trouble with the boss fights (I played in normal difficulty). I chose the hacker path (by the end of the game I never even bought the typhoon upgrade) and I found them to be super easy. Shotgun + running in circles/cover + grenades did it every time for me. By the second boss fight I already had cloak at max and the third even with the glitches was the same. The last one was even easier. I suspect someone with emphasis on armor + weapon upgrades/typhoon would find them a piece of cake.

-The voice acting is pretty terrible but it only bothered me a couple of times. Meh.

-The AI is not that good. There were some minor bugs as well, like a woman stuck in the T-pose and that side mission that never updated, (I didn't find the boss in the sewers but I'll just go back to a previous save).

-There is some pretty great design in the game and I liked the style a lot. I felt the cities could have done with a little more color/lighting. I get the tone, but there is still something missing imo. Other than that the game is really good at creating atmosphere.

-The last mission was a complete drag and a waste of everybody's time. The
zombie-like enemies
are terrible and you have to wonder why did the devs go that route. It almost ruined the game for me.

-I didn't save
Malik, and finding her body later on felt pretty terrible, especially because there was nothing you could do about it
. I'll fix that on a second playthrough.

tl;dr: There's a lot more I could say, but all in all, it is an incredibly solid game and I enjoyed it like I have not enjoyed any game since the first Mass Effect. I think this has that rough quality to it in which they try different stuff to keep the game good. Sometimes it worked, others it didn't but never (until that final section) I felt unsurprised/unamazed by this game. This is one of the few games that I can honestly say I'm looking forward to some DLC.

Also, concerning the ending, I went with:
the suicide option. Honestly, I never felt like any of the other guys deserved to be listened to. I don't even know what is worse: unregulated corporations with no morality, idiotic abhorrence to any technological advancement, or shadowy groups pulling the strings of every major thing everywhere (even though this option was presented as "conscious regulation" of tech it's BS imo, everyone just ends up being a puppet of people with power.
. The epilogue was interesting, though I have to read up theories as to what is implied by it. Is there a connection to previous games? I've never played them.

Amir0x

Banned
fuck fuck why the fuck did i get <2nd Hengsha spoilers>
that goddamn chip the whole time i was telling myself 'this doesn't feel right' but I was worried I miss out on precious xp or some shit and so I got it anyway lol

Forkball

Branson said:
People can download 10 gigs in minutes? What am I doing wrong with my life.
Hours are made of minutes. Maybe my high speed connection is spoiling me.

Also the Double Barrel Shotgun is pretty awesome. I got it as DLC when I bought it on Amazon and it's my weapon of choice if I absolutely need to kill someone.

Sciz

inky said:
Is there a connection to previous games? I've never played them.
The epilogue and a lot of the rest of HR's background world-building details are directly connected to the events of DX1.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amir0x said:
that goddamn chip the whole time i was telling myself 'this doesn't feel right' but I was worried I miss out on precious xp or some shit and so I got it anyway lol

Illuminati got you by the balls.

subversus

EatChildren said:
Illuminati got you by the balls.

lol
I liked the expression on her face when she failed in my case. "fuck, I should've changed the batteries!"

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
4hrs in.

Why the fuck are there cardboard boxes everywhere? Fragile my arse. I might even build a cardboard castle in the middle of Downtown Detroit.

JohngPR

Amir0x said:

I did that too! LOL It's one of those instances where the game is a lot more clever than I give it credit. I thought you had to install the biochip as well to get some kind of bonus but when you think about it, it makes perfect sense to be leery of it and skip it. More games should make you use common sense like that.

speedpop said:
4hrs in.

Why the fuck are there cardboard boxes everywhere?

32f52622420acde41024a079350bf29d.jpg

subversus

speedpop said:
4hrs in.

Why the fuck are there cardboard boxes everywhere? Fragile my arse. I might even build a cardboard castle in the middle of Downtown Detroit.

do it!

and post pics

inky

Sciz said:
The epilogue and a lot of the rest of HR's background world-building details are directly connected to the events of DX1.

I see. I wonder then what will be the canon ending, tho I'm going with the option I chose, which
is a shame because that means no more Adam =( I liked him even though his voice is pretty bad.
Will have to wiki that. I don't think I can get into the first game at this point in time.

Ah, I forgot to mention the most important thing: reading Pritchard's mail is the funniest thing ever.

megalowho

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the last boss fight and how strategic it felt. Maybe I was just overpowered, but it was certainly welcome after fumbling and cheesing my way through the others.

Cloaked security hacking, gas grenades for zombies, EMP's for mechs, Typhoons, dual takedowns, laser guns and the trusty Pistol. Shotgun blasts to break the glass and Typhoons to finish her off. Was fun to finally unleash my full arsenal on something.

Great game, can't wait to play whatever this studio makes next.

Enco

megalowho said:
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the last boss fight and how strategic it felt. Maybe I was just overpowered, but it was certainly welcome after fumbling and cheesing my way through the others.

Cloaked security hacking, gas grenades for zombies, EMP's for mechs, Typhoons, dual takedowns, laser guns and the trusty Pistol. Shotgun blasts to break the glass and Typhoons to finish her off. Was fun to finally unleash my full arsenal on something.

Great game, can't wait to play whatever this studio makes next.
Mine was far more underwhelming.

Press the buttons on the machine, kill those weird women things with my heavy rifle, heavy rifle the zombies and then wait for the robot to destroy the glass so that I could heavy rifle the bitch.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Amir0x said:

Haha
I also knew something was up but got it anyway. Luckily it only comes back to bite you in the ass for one part, albeit a really annoying part.

Enco said:

Press the buttons on the machine, kill those weird women things with my heavy rifle, heavy rifle the zombies and then wait for the robot to destroy the glass so that I could heavy rifle the bitch.

How did you manage to get the robot to do that?

inky

Enco said:

You could kill them? Mine was:

cloak hack the terminals & move from cover to cover, hack the main panel, kill the 2 sentry robots that came out with grenades, zombies died due to electrified floor, protective shield broke on its own, walk up to Zhao and shoot her in the head. End.

Stupidly easy.

Enco

inky said:

cloak hack the terminals & move from cover to cover, hack the main panel, kill the 2 sentry robots that came out with grenades, zombies died due to electrified floor, protective shield broke on its own, walk up to Zhao and shoot her in the head. End.

Stupidly easy.
Oh man :lol

I guess I did it the asshole way.
Had no idea you could hack them. Who were those girls anyway?

Neiteio

JohngPR said:
Yes, forgot to add that one. I think I'm going to watch the other 3 via quick save and save seeing the 4th one for my 2nd playthrough. :)
How do the endings work? Does the game give you four choices at the end and you can only pick to see one of them?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just taking you as an example:
Enco said:
You can disable object highlight.

For me the object highlighting wasn't enabled by default. Neither were the object marker on the screen. I only saw them from youtube videos that have been linked around.

I was playing on PS3. Give me Deus Ex.
Isn't that so for the PC version?

If it was like the PS3 version, doesn't that completely deflate the Deus Ex hardliner's argument you see everywhere? If you have to go out of your way to enable an option that you claim is making the playthrough for "console peasants" isn't that a bad argument? :p

subversus

Neiteio said:
How do the endings work? Does the game give you four choices at the end and you can only pick to see one of them?

you can save and experience all of them.

Enco

bandresen said:
Just taking you as an example:

For me the object highlighting wasn't enabled by default. Neither were the object marker on the screen. I only saw them from youtube videos that have been linked around.

I was playing on PS3. Give me Deus Ex.
Isn't that so for the PC version?

If it was like the PS3 version, doesn't that completely deflate the Deus Ex hardliner's argument you see everywhere? If you have to go out of your way to enable an option that you claim is making the playthrough for "console peasants" isn't that a bad argument? :p
I played on Give me a challenge. It's disabled for give me deus ex.

Best without it.

Balphon

inky said:

Stupidly easy.

For the last boss I
didn't move from the entrance, cloaked and shot Zhao in the head with the laser rifle. She died in about 5 seconds.
Kinda wish I hadn't, since it seems like that fight goes interesting places if you let it.

Carbonox

Salaadin said:
Icarus - Main Theme on the soundtrack is kind of awesome.

I still haven't put in the DVD with the bonus features. I primarily chose the Augmented Edition for the soundtrack so I need to whip that in. The track that plays first during the credits sequence is probably my favourite game track of the generation.

Lime

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
I still haven't put in the DVD with the bonus features. I primarily chose the Augmented Edition for the soundtrack so I need to whip that in. The track that plays first during the credits sequence is probably my favourite game track of the generation.

The Augmented Edition soundtrack is incredibly bare-bones. You should probably hit youtube for the whole soundtrack.

Turfster

ColonelColon said:
The problem with disabling object highlight is that the environments are full of static, non-interactive objects.
Seriously?
It took me all of 5 seconds to distinguish what was useable and not without highlights...
(All useable drawers are pretty much identical, etc)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
ColonelColon said:
The problem with disabling object highlight is that the environments are full of static, non-interactive objects.

This is utter nonsense. It takes less then 10 minutes to sort out what you can and can't interact with. It's really not that complicated.

mAcOdIn

ColonelColon said:
Is that really an issue? Whether or not an object is highlighted or not it's still the same objects that are interactive, so if you see a computer with that tell-tell screen you know you can hack it, it's not that different than the real world. I mean, I can interact with everything but I also don't want to and purely by recognition do I go and pick up my wallet and keys when leaving the house and not get stuck fiddling around with the paper towel dispenser and cutlery. You don't need image highlighting. All you can interact with are computers, terminals, drawers, bodies, PDAs, newspapers and the various weapons and accessories. Needing to mess with the boxes is rare and generally obvious without the highlighting.

I just don't get it, fuck highlighting!

MNC

Man, I love the game and I just got to Hengsha. But
I feel like I have only had like 2 real missions, the first one being Sarif Plant and the second one being the FEMA building.

Also, I went past the first mission, then activated my DLC. Can I still get the stuff?

hiverbon

Neo Member
Turfster said:
Seriously?
It took me all of 5 seconds to distinguish what was useable and not without highlights...
(All useable drawers are pretty much identical, etc)

Drawers maybe, but the use of cardboard boxes and crates as pickabke/non-pickable is ridiculously inconsistent. The trade off yellow outlines is far and away worth the non-frustration of walking up to a crate not knowing if i'll be able to pick it up.

Carbonox

Wait what? You can de-activate shit in the game's options? Things aren't activated in Hard mode like they are in easier modes? Man...

I've only played on Hard mode.

Not even worth wasting brain processing cycles determining on the fly what is static and what is usable. It's not an element that adds any strategy or challenge of any sort, so I turned highlighting on on Hard mode as soon as I heard you could. Easier on my eyes.

It's fine in Deus Ex 1 because the environments are so featureless, usable objects stand out like a door about to opened in a Scooby Doo cartoon.

Top Bottom