• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

EmCeeGramr said:
i'm doing it

i'm reinstalling the heresy
Wallach said:
At least it'll run alright on today's computers. Game ran like shit on PC back when it released.
Linkzg said:
when I played it again last year or so, it exited out to my desktop every loading screen. if you played it, you know how frequent that could be.

making widescreen work with a fixed interface is can be a chore too.

Okay I played about an hour and a half of "it"

-everything still looks like it's made of modeling clay

-it exits to desktop every time there's a loading screen but luckily goes right back

-the levels are even smaller than i remember. it's honestly fucking shocking to go back to it

-the inventory and ammo systems are so insanely broken it's unbelievable

-people i don't care about keep fucking calling me and talking to me over holograms to do shit i don't care about

-"hey you there, random man, can you burn up a coffee shop or assassinate a man for me? i'm asking you this right in the open" i remember this shit the first time around, and it's even more jarring years later

-i just walk forward and the "choice" is to shoot a dude or not shoot a dude (always shoot the dude) nothing matters at all. the only thing resembling a real choice so far is how you enter a dude's apartment and if you can hold down a button to unlock it or sneak in by a vent but you don't really need to do that or you can just talk to the dude and he's an embarrassing gay stereotype who gives you a key

-nobody talks right, it makes the voice acting and writing in the first and third games sound like the masterstrokes of the English language

-Male Alex D makes JC and Adam sound like excitable emotional individuals, it's like one of his biomods was permanent Novocaine

-i have no fucking clue what is happening at any time because it's all so fucking stupid i'm running around two foot wide blue concrete future shopping malls with nothing in them shooting soldiers and throwing solid blocks that are supposed to be trash cans and running around future offices that don't resemble anything in reality and hitting people with cyber-katanas (the only cool part except they do a tenth of the Dragon Tooth's damage)

-there aren't any computers or anything, it's all datacubes with a fraction of the information that even the ebooks in HR contain

-seriously stop fucking calling me with your ugly cg faces

-there have been at least three or four times that someone has mentioned an "invisible war" with stupid amounts of emphasis on it WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

-the physics are just like how PC Gamer described them back then: Jerry Lewis physics where everything flies around the slightest touch

-combat is standing still and mashing shoot

the only fun thing so far is nudging a burning barrel into a hobo, watching it fail to catch him on fire until it lines up pixel perfect, then he runs around screaming while the girl he was talking to just stands there without reaction, then doing the same thing to her, then throwing their bodies in a dumpster

Londa

Banned
Question about when I get back to Detroit (after the second boss battle)......
What happens when I give the private investigator the last two doses? Should I refuse or do what he saids?

mAcOdIn

The quests in IW were particularly stupid as well if I remember correctly, like attacking coffee shop owners and shit, it was so stupid.

Balphon

Londa said:
Question about when I get back to Detroit (after the second boss battle)......
What happens when I give the private investigator the last two doses? Should I refuse or do what he saids?

He dies. If you refuse it's possible to convince him to wait for an ambulance, but nothing changes either way. There is, however, an achievement for giving him the overdose.

Wallach said:
so what you're saying is it's not bad
the "human revolution is invisible war but without the stupid stuff" line some people have been saying is a completely empty and meaningless statement because invisible war IS the stupid stuff, that's all it is, it's The Stupid Stuff

mAcOdIn said:
The quests in IW were particularly stupid as well if I remember correctly, like attacking coffee shop owners and shit, it was so stupid.

The Steam overlay doesn't work with the Steam version so I couldn't easily take screenshots, but there's two dudes in a "coffee shop" that's literally smaller than Adam's bedroom and bathroom and they're talking about "Heh heh, boy That Rent sure is high. Taxes. Zoning. I wish someone would burn down my competitor's supply. I would pay to see that. Hey. Could you do that? Burn down their stuff? I will pay you Credits. Thank you."

and it's even dumber because i remember how the stupid Coffee Wars sidequest chain ends in the final third and it's meant to parallel another stupid plot development where
the WTO and the Order are the same Illuminati group oooooh FUCK YOUR CHOICES

FStop7

Banned
Megan Reed?

More like Megan Retard.

3rd boss fight

Namir went down like a bitch. 1 EMP and 3 typhon blasts and he was done.

Londa

Banned
Also forgot to mention:

you can damage the power cells in the boss fight and it will actually mess up the hologram face that is in the middle. One cell even had a red ring of death. lol

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm really tempted to reinstall Invisible War now. I played it briefly, but I need to see this again, especially after HR.

"Hi! I'm Alex D. A guard just died because a vent blew up or something."
"Are you the new recruit? I heard you came from Chicago and Chicago just blew up. I hope you didn't have family there."
"My foster parents."
"Ohhhh my gooodness. your parents. i am so sorry. How do you like it here in Seattle?"
"There was an attack here. Do you know anything?"

i'm exaggerating (slightly) but that is pretty much how a conversation actually went

Wallach

EmCeeGramr said:
"Hi! I'm Alex D. A guard just died because a vent blew up or something."
"Are you the new recruit? I heard you came from Chicago and Chicago just blew up. I hope you didn't have family there."
"My foster parents."
"Ohhhh my gooodness. your parents. i am so sorry. How do you like it here in Seattle?"
"There was an attack here. Do you know anything?"

i'm exaggerating (slightly) but that is pretty much how a conversation actually went

Well, to be honest that is a problem the original game has sometimes. Like the conversation you have with Paul right at the start if you keep talking to him is really awkward.

Unfortunately that's about the only area IW is in the same ballpark with the original.

What would get me more exp - clearing out a room of 8 guys with an AR (so like, 10 and 20 points each depending on headshots) or hacking a turret (so, 75xp for the hack) and letting it handle them?

I've already cleared out the room by force, cause I got spotted mid-stealth, and used take-downs and the AR to finish the job. Just wondering, since I've proven to myself that I can handle it, if I should risk going through my quick save and trying for the sneakier (cooler) method.

Thoughts?

Wallach said:
Well, to be honest that is a problem the original game has sometimes. Like the conversation you have with Paul right at the start if you keep talking to him is really awkward.

Unfortunately that's about the only area IW is in the same ballpark with the original.
No! Not like that! Even there, there was meaning! Talking about their parents, a hint at their past, giving you understanding of Paul's personality, his notable unwillingness to use lethal force on the NSF,
foreshadowing his turn to their side
, foreshadowing of the Triads and Hong Kong that would tie into the main plot.

EVERYTHING in IW is terrible and awkward. Everyone speaks like the game's writer was a computer that read a book of one-dimensional tropes and spat them out.

Wallach

The Antitype said:
What would get me more exp - clearing out a room of 8 guys with an AR (so like, 10 and 20 points each depending on headshots) or hacking a turret (so, 75xp for the hack) and letting it handle them?

I've already cleared out the room by force, cause I got spotted mid-stealth, and used take-downs and the AR to finish the job. Just wondering, since I've proven to myself that I can handle it, if I should risk going through my quick save and trying for the sneakier (cooler) method.

Thoughts?

Well, if you headshot all 8 yourself you'd get 160 XP. The turret will likely get some headshot bonuses for you, so you'll probably get more than 160 with the turret. You'd get more taking them down yourself with tranquilizers or stun gun, and more yet if you went through and used takedowns on all of them.

Wallach said:
Well, if you headshot all 8 yourself you'd get 160 XP. The turret will likely get some headshot bonuses for you, so you'll probably get more than 160 with the turret. You'd get more taking them down yourself with tranquilizers or stun gun, and more yet if you went through and used takedowns on all of them.

Yeah, I always try for take-downs and non-lethal. Sometimes I succeed and get through the whole place undetected, other times I'm found and I juist break out my upgraded pistol and AR for headshots.

It's actually shockingly easy to surprised rush a group of guys, take one or two out with the takedown, use the tazer on the closest to him, and then jump to the nearest cover, switch to lethal and clean-up. It's not the most effective way to earn XP, granted, but it does make you feel like a badass. :D

DieH@rd

Banned
Goddamnit, bossfight #3 is a fucking nightmare. Terrible design choice, it almost totally ruins the game for me [and i really like this game].

Fucking designers, terrible choice.

DieH@rd said:
Goddamnit, bossfight #3 is a fucking nightmare. Terrible design choice, it almost totally ruins the game for me [and i really like this game].

You can actually do a takedown on him as he's jumping over a wall. Try to bait him into doing it and go for it before he lands. Instantly beats him, and it's hilarious.

Wallach

EmCeeGramr said:
No! Not like that! Even there, there was meaning! Talking about their parents, a hint at their past, giving you understanding of Paul's personality, his notable unwillingness to use lethal force on the NSF,
foreshadowing his turn to their side
, foreshadowing of the Triads and Hong Kong that would tie into the main plot.

EVERYTHING in IW is terrible and awkward. Everyone speaks like the game's writer was a computer that read a book of one-dimensional tropes and spat them out.

There's definitely more thought in most of them, just that sometimes they're super awkward because the responses don't jive. Like the conversation with Paul is fucked up not because of what Paul is saying but because the shit JC says in response doesn't really make sense. Like Paul is only sort of pretending to listen to what JC says and just keeps on talking.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How do you even play Invisible War on Windows 7 64 bit? Every time I try to start a new game, it simply hangs at a black screen after confirming my character selection. I haven't been able to find a reliable solution to get it to work.

Carbonox

An enemy just got alarmed by some noise I made and found another enemy on the floor knocked out. Before this enemy could do anything, I knocked him out too.

Does this go against a Foxiest run? Or did he HAVE to set off a proper alarm?

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
An enemy just got alarmed by some noise I made and found another enemy on the floor knocked out. Before this enemy could do anything, I knocked him out too.

I think if the word 'alarm' came up above your radar, you screwed your run.

Wallach

Carbonox_Ratchet said:

If he didn't set off an alarm it doesn't matter.

Basically you need to always get the Smooth Operator bonus when it is possible to get that bonus. That is all Foxiest of the Hounds means.

Amir0x

Banned
Beat it. was really good, although the final location was a big let down. It was lame to instead of having
intelligent path based enemies with weaponry, they just had a bunch of crazy people huddled together that would run at you in groups. It was lame, unchallenging, and just sort of meh. I understand the story justification, but it was just lame. The level design altogether of the final location was just rushed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amir0x said:
Beat it. was really good, although the final location was a big let down. It was lame to instead of having
intelligent path based enemies with weaponry, they just had a bunch of crazy people huddled together that would run at you in groups. It was lame, unchallenging, and just sort of meh. I understand the story justification, but it was just lame. The level design altogether of the final location was just rushed.

Yeah, the final chapter is literally the worst possible note to end on. Shitty rushed level design, bad ideas, a crappy boss fight, and lame endings.

Amir0x

Banned
It feels like they just looked at the clock and realized they had to ship. And like they crunched this last level in during overtime during the final week or some shit.

I was excited because the initial area to there looked cool and then I was waiting for the other shoe to drop the entire time and it was just :|

Carbonox_Ratchet said:

Proper Alarm.

I got 'alarmed' and 'hostile' in a few places, so those are okay.

EmCeeGramr said:
the "human revolution is invisible war but without the stupid stuff" line some people have been saying is a completely empty and meaningless statement because invisible war IS the stupid stuff, that's all it is, it's The Stupid Stuff

That's more or less what it is. If Invisible War didn't have all the technical issues from being on Xbox hardware you would basically have this game, with a few less issues (like ammo, inventory) and a few more modern "improvements".

Wallach

EatChildren said:
Yeah, the final chapter is literally the worst possible note to end on. Shitty rushed level design, bad ideas, a crappy boss fight, and lame endings.

What I was really hoping for was a big series of social battles. Darrow, Sarif, Taggart, then being forced to pick an ending. I thought that would have been pretty cool.

I don't mind the endings so much. The crazy people were really lame though and the final boss was neat but badly executed.

inky

Amir0x said:
I was excited because the initial area to there looked cool and then I was waiting for the other shoe to drop the entire time and it was just :|

Yes. I think the layout was pretty cool actually. When I got in and
everything was deserted I actually believe I would have to fight my way out or make my last stand. There were a couple of clever hidden passages, but when it turned to: oh, clusters of dumbfuck enemies running at you I took out my plasma gun and just rushed to the end.

Extremely underwhelming and almost broke up the good experience I had. Thankfully it was a good game so I kept the highs with me and will simply forget that final level.

Replicant

Carbonox_Ratchet said:

Alarmed =! Alarm

Jintor

1315239391215.gif

charsace

EatChildren said:
Yes, its pretty stupid how it works. Having five full bars is to allow you to pull off multiple aug powers in quick succession, eg: silent run, and multiple take downs against mutliple opponents without having to recharge.

The balance was necessary, but the execution is eh.
I think they should give you a two cell recharge. This way you can do a takedown and then something.

Confidence Man said:
That's more or less what it is. If Invisible War didn't have all the technical issues from being on Xbox hardware you would basically have this game, with a few less issues (like ammo, inventory) and a few more modern "improvements".
I'm playing it right now, and it's fundamentally different from DX1 and HR in so many ways that that's like saying Christopher Nolan is like Uwe Boll but without the bad stuff. It's a meaningless comparison that's devoid of any rationality.

Not to Godwin it up, but it's like saying that a politician is like Hitler, but without the dictatorship, genocide, or invasion of Europe. Those are sorta the defining features at the core of the thing. Without those things, there is no problem.

Those technical issues (and a variety of game design decisions that are not present in Human Revolution) are the foundation of Invisible War and what it is as a game and a sequel. To remove those from the equation to make an incredibly weak and ill-fitting comparison is simply intellectually dishonest.

Deadbeat

Banned
So I finally ran into the Detroit Convention Center bug with
Sandoval and taggart. For my first playthrough I hacked the computer but I got sandoval trying to kill himself with because taggart was dumping all the blame on him. It turns out Im only supposed to see that if I confront Taggart. In my second playthrough I confronted Taggart and got Sandoval trying to shoot me. Funnily enough if I try hacking the backstage computer I get Sandoval still trying to kill me. Apparently the game has a bug that corrupts all your saves to be broken so I can never redo this issue without restarting from the beginning.

It would sure be nice if they fixed this bug. Someone yell at Nixxes for me. It would be sweet.

jett

D-Member
Finally getting in a groove with this game, just finished the first "boss fight" and I'm ready to go to Hengsha. Can I use my apartment as a storage box of sorts or is that gonna come back to bite me in the ass?

AEREC

jett said:
Finally getting in a groove with this game, just finished the first "boss fight" and I'm ready to go to Hengsha. Can I use my apartment as a storage box of sorts or is that gonna come back to bite me in the ass?

That should be fine...I left a bottle of whiskey and an SMG on the table in Adam's aprtement and it's still there when
you come back to Detroit later in the game after Montreal

reflecting on the level design compared to the original, there original is the clear victor. HR is fantastic regardless but the levels aren't as complex and lack the verisimilitude of the original's. Some of the levels feel too much like 'levels' instead of a place that could exist in the real world.

I've seen other complaints about the prevalence of vents and their over-importance in the 'multiple paths'. Sometimes vent placements don't make sense. The one blocked by a vending machine in the apartment sticks out the most. A simple fix would be having the vent above the vending machine, simply requiring you to jump on top of it, then into the vent. Doesn't change the vent as a path, but it would be more "real."

There are concession that must be made for gameplay but it's more the essence of reality than literal. I would never think "oh, the vent/alternate path is behind this vending machine" because I'd never encounter that design in real life.

EmCeeGramr said:
I'm playing it right now, and it's fundamentally different from DX1 and HR in so many ways that that's like saying Christopher Nolan is like Uwe Boll but without the bad stuff. It's a meaningless comparison that's devoid of any rationality.

Not to Godwin it up, but it's like saying that a politician is like Hitler, but without the dictatorship, genocide, or invasion of Europe. Those are sorta the defining features at the core of the thing. Without those things, there is no problem.

Those technical issues (and a variety of game design decisions that are not present in Human Revolution) are the foundation of Invisible War and what it is as a game and a sequel. To remove those from the equation to make an incredibly weak and ill-fitting comparison is simply intellectually dishonest.

The foundation of Invisible War was to make the Deus Ex experience more accessible and more marketable. Human Revolution is the evolution of that concept, executed with more skill, but still in the same spirit.

Wallach

Linkzg said:
reflecting on the level design compared to the original, there original is the clear victor. HR is fantastic regardless but the levels aren't as complex and lack the verisimilitude of the original's. Some of the levels feel too much like 'levels' instead of a place that could exist in the real world.

This is a problem in all three of the games, though. If anything the original is probably the worst about it. I think they're more interesting from a design and approach standpoint, but they're definitely the most "game-y" at the same time.

Confidence Man said:
The foundation of Invisible War was to make the Deus Ex experience more accessible and more marketable. Human Revolution is the evolution of that concept, executed with more skill, but still in the same spirit.
The idea means little if the reality is drastically different. In practice, Human Revolution hews far closer to the original with a few concessions that are mostly inoffensive to all but the most reactionary, while Invisible War practically feels like it's from a different series from the other two titles.

Invisible War is defined by its failures. As a description, "Invisible War sans failure," is remarkably poor. "Deus Ex Lite" or "Deus Ex, but somewhat streamlined for better or worse," would be far more accurate descriptions.

EmCeeGramr said:
The idea means little if the execution is different. In practice, Human Revolution hews far closer to the original with a few concessions that are mostly inoffensive to all but the most reactionary, while Invisible War practically feels like it's from a different series from the other two titles.

I don't think so at all. Both sequels have aspects that feel like the original, and both have aspects that make them feel like dumbed-down approximations. And the concessions are more than a few.

Replicant

jett said:

This game needs a proper storage container at your apartment. My inventory is full of items and I've upgraded everything storage-related.

Solo

Replicant said:
This game needs a proper storage container at your apartment. My inventory is full of items and I've upgraded everything storage-related.

Why? You can just drop shit anywhere in the street, lol

charsace

I think they can bring back melee weapons. You can have all takedowns be a tree and use power cells. While weapons that can takedown could have a charge timer or ammo. And plain old melee weapons would work the way they always worked.

The Antitype said:
Yeah, I always try for take-downs and non-lethal. Sometimes I succeed and get through the whole place undetected, other times I'm found and I juist break out my upgraded pistol and AR for headshots.

It's actually shockingly easy to surprised rush a group of guys, take one or two out with the takedown, use the tazer on the closest to him, and then jump to the nearest cover, switch to lethal and clean-up. It's not the most effective way to earn XP, granted, but it does make you feel like a badass. :D

Hack the turret, then pick it up, and walk into the room while holding it. And get ready for a surprise.

You installed the chip?

Top Bottom