• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

49/49 Achievements and three playthroughs! Time to put the game in the collection for a while. :p

Really proud of the game they did. Big ups to my friends and all the others who helped develop this little gem! :p

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
An enemy just got alarmed by some noise I made and found another enemy on the floor knocked out. Before this enemy could do anything, I knocked him out too.

Does this go against a Foxiest run? Or did he HAVE to set off a proper alarm?

i got foxiest even with the very first sentry gun went full hostile on me. (tried to get the ebook.) i purposed to alert enemy (one at a time), so i can get an easy silent kill or knock out.
also you can snipe people with silent weapons, as long as they dont spot you and going full hostile, you will be fine.
if you see red lights on the wall flashing, or you hear sounds of alarm, then you know you are fucked.

Neiteio

So, I haven't finished the game yet, but I want to know what to expect: When people say the ending is a "letdown," are we talking, like, fighting the Hulk at the end of BioShock?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
jett said:
Finally getting in a groove with this game, just finished the first "boss fight" and I'm ready to go to Hengsha. Can I use my apartment as a storage box of sorts or is that gonna come back to bite me in the ass?

Anything you drop just about anywhere the game will remember. Rooms in the hotel in Hensghai and adams apt or Sarif Industries are all good spots. Not a bad game.. but...

Anyone else feel like it was terribly easy? That revolver gets ridiculous. Barret is the only boss that took me longer than 30 seconds to kill... with the ninja girl clocking in at an impressive 10 seconds. Kind of disappointing. Couple that with a fully upgraded 10mm pistol and there is a serious lack of challenge. I also have to chime in to agree with the energy meter being just weird. Only one bar being a dependable charge is just... frustrating. I never felt like i was a crazy super powered cyborg.

Salaadin

Neiteio said:
So, I haven't finished the game yet, but I want to know what to expect: When people say the ending is a "letdown," are we talking, like, fighting the Hulk at the end of BioShock?

Its kinda hard to explain without playing it yourself. The game as a whole is awesome. The final bits are still good but, when compared to the 90% before it, its "ok". Im not sure how else to explain it without telling you straight out.

The final boss is consistent with the rest of the game though. A big "meh".

I hate focusing on those parts though because I had SUCH a good time with everything else.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Neiteio said:

another joke of a boss fight and pre-canned simple solutions that are explained to you in idiot proof language. No decision made beforehand effects anything about this choice and hitting continue after you decide and see the credits brings you right back to JUST before you enter the room with the 4 options literally presented as buttons which practically goads you into just trying out all 4 to see what they are. Extremely weak.

Replicant

Solo said:
Why? You can just drop shit anywhere in the street, lol

I know but I'm still on my first play-through and I'm not sure when or if I'd ever re-visit those areas again. I don't want to drop something and then later on realizes that I'm fucked because I need the item that I dropped.

I think this is mostly a problem because I got a lot of extra large weapons from the pre-order. I should have left the silenced sniper riffle at the apt since I am on a Pacifist run anyway.

Amir0x said:
It feels like they just looked at the clock and realized they had to ship. And like they crunched this last level in during overtime during the final week or some shit.

I was excited because the initial area to there looked cool and then I was waiting for the other shoe to drop the entire time and it was just :|
The design of the area you "land" in leads me to think it was originally dreamt up with normal enemies and gameplay in mind.

Elios83

Neiteio said:

Of course I won't spoil the details but you are presented with a few options. None of them is satisfactory. After the credit roll the story continues with a short cliffhanger regardless of the choice you have made for the ''ending''.
So for a game with such an interesting story right until the end it's a bit disappointing, imo it was better to have a single ending which left things open for a sequel and not this total mess.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Eppy Thatcher said:
another joke of a boss fight and pre-canned simple solutions that are explained to you in idiot proof language. No decision made beforehand effects anything about this choice and hitting continue after you decide and see the credits brings you right back to JUST before you enter the room with the 4 options literally presented as buttons which practically goads you into just trying out all 4 to see what they are. Extremely weak.

It was disappointing gameplay-wise. But I fucking loved
all of the four endings.

Amir0x

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
The design of the area you "land" in leads me to think it was originally dreamt up with normal enemies and gameplay in mind.

It really, really does. I mean, there are multiple ways into the place for goodness sake. Yet there's not a single enemy in forever. Why do I need multiple insertion points lol

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Yurt said:
It was disappointing gameplay-wise. But I fucking loved
all of the four endings.

Obviously i went back through and watched them all ... but they were all kind of the same thing. Moving forward with one groups help. I did like that only in the "kill everyone and let the world decide" ending does the AI give you any props on your choice... and the bionic baby in the Sarif ending was cool ... but the fact that the choices were literal buttons on a panel ... i dunno. Seems so cheap to me...

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I was wondering the same thing lol....I thought I entered the wrong door prematurely or something.

Eppy Thatcher said:
but the fact that the choices were literal buttons on a panel ... i dunno. Seems so cheap to me...

Yeah haha..

inky

Eppy Thatcher said:
another joke of a boss fight and pre-canned simple solutions that are explained to you in idiot proof language.

It's even funnier that they present the ending like that when
It's really clear "your choice" won't even carry on. They might as well showed you all the videos as one and be done with it.

I would have preferred a single fleshed out ending, but yes, it seems like they have different plans ans jut ran out of time or something.

Amir0x said:
It really, really does. I mean, there are multiple ways into the place for goodness sake. Yet there's not a single enemy in forever. Why do I need multiple insertion points lol

Worse thing is I combed the place from top to bottom to "plan ahead" and even set up some stuff. I thought it was going to be a big battle or something. =/

Is it just me or does Jensen act like a real dick to Pritchard later in the game? Pritchard lightens up and stops being so snarky about halfway through, but Jensen is sarcastically douchey to him for pretty much the entire game no matter what Pritchard calls him about.

Ricker

Question about an event quite a bit into the game...not ending stuff but I just want to make sure,probably been asked a few times lol

Is there anyway to save Malik at all or does she always die....

Dartastic

I just got back to
Hensha, and I just entered the hackers place or whatever it is after I saved my helicopter pilot. I could have gotten some chip to fix the glitches if I go to limb.
Should I? Also, where is the point where I can save to see multiple endings?

Rufus

Jintor said:
1315239391215.gif
Dogmentation. Copyright that ish.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Dartastic said:
I just got back to
Hensha, and I just entered the hackers place or whatever it is after I saved my helicopter pilot. I could have gotten some chip to fix the glitches if I go to limb.Should I? Also, where is the point where I can save to see multiple endings?

latest auto-save, don't worry about it.

mango drank

Dartastic said:
I just got back to
Hensha, and I just entered the hackers place or whatever it is after I saved my helicopter pilot. I could have gotten some chip to fix the glitches if I go to limb.
Should I? Also, where is the point where I can save to see multiple endings?

This is a situation where you'll have to make a choice and hope for the best, because you don't see anything different until farther down the road. But if you just want an answer,
......don't get the new chip.

Also, re: the endings, you really can't miss it.

Turfster

... okay. Typhoon makes the boss fights ridiculously easy.
2nd boss this time on deus ex mode? 5? seconds. She never even hit me. I just did 3 typhoons in a row and boom, she went down.
That's some great game balancing, guys!

Rufus

Yup. It really is the 'skip boss' button.

Dartastic said:
I just got back to
Should I?
That's for you to decide. Saying anything more specific would spoil it. If you want a hint anyway, highlight away ->
How do you deal with bosses? If you don't have problems with them, go ahead, you'll be fine.

Dartastic said:
Also, where is the point where I can save to see multiple endings?
It will be made very, very clear and you can save right before that.

Kyoufu

After a couple hours of gaming in this game, I do like it a lot, but...

So many lies, so many lies...

How is this game played the way you want? Its a stealth game. Want to shoot everyone? Yeah, good luck keeping your ammo count up.

Its a stealth game.

Septimius

I feel like a total bad-ass when I clear a room of 3 without any one of them understading what just happened.

I wonder if it counts as a kill when I smash through a wall and snap the neck of the guy behind it. I mean, it obviously is, but I did want to kill that guy, it just happened.

Salsa

Kyoufu said:

How is this game played the way you want? Its a stealth game. Want to shoot everyone? Yeah, good luck keeping your ammo count up.

Its a stealth game.

keep playing

Kyoufu said:

Its a stealth game.

I don't see the complaints about ammo, using a pistol you can pretty much 1 shot kill everyone then loot their body + gun to get more ammo.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I almost want to replay it already, even after beating it just yesterday. Feels too soon though and besides, I'd want to play through the game heavily modified. I know some tools are opened up but how much exactly?

Grisby

Watching the Making of DVD. Pretty well done so far.

-The first line they have the Jensen VA say in his segment is "I never asked for this." :D
-Girl voicing Eliza is cute
-They had a real Dr guy thats into helping vets with prosthetics on the team giving advice. Good stuff.
-Had a private showing for Warren Specter, who told the team the game looked like a real Deus Ex experience.

Going back to watch more. Oh, nm its done! Kinda short, maybe 30min?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
EatChildren said:
Yes, its pretty stupid how it works. Having five full bars is to allow you to pull off multiple aug powers in quick succession, eg: silent run, and multiple take downs against mutliple opponents without having to recharge.

The balance was necessary, but the execution is eh.

While I don't regret using my points to get five cells, it just didn't seem fair I ended up only using one for 80% of the game because of how sparse energy refilling items are. I think it would have been better to restrict the player to three bars but allow regeneration for all three. This probably wouldn't have been enough to balance it, but it's a start.

That's one change I would do if I would go through a modified game. I also think I would have limb clinics sell unlimited items. The shady traders having limited supplies made sense but not the limb clinics. I'd balance it out (if possible) by reducing items laying around in the world.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
About returning to Hengshai -

How do you save Malik? i killed everyone there... quickly as well... and she still died... what's the trick? Also the typhoon is not even needed for easy win button. The revolver does everything and more. Explosive rounds/max damage/reload speed upgrades turn it into a hand cannon... seriously.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Eppy Thatcher said:

How do you save Malik? i killed everyone there... quickly as well... and she still died... what's the trick? Also the typhoon is not even needed for easy win button. The revolver does everything and more. Explosive rounds/max damage/reload speed upgrades turn it into a hand cannon... seriously.

I'm guessing you just didn't go fast enough.

Wallach

Eppy Thatcher said:

It's just speed. You need to eliminate all of the targets faster. Kill that box guard the second it drops into the fight with an EMP grenade or mine, it does the most damage.

As for Typhoon, the revolver is great but the Typhoon is in a different class. Especially against bosses. I probably won't get it next playthrough.

Here are some things that I would like people to consider:

The endings: Are the endings perfect? not at all. Does the game goad you into quickly saving just so you can see them all? kinda. But think of that moment when you
are first presented all of the endings by eliza
. Wasnt that moment orgasmic? I was utterly blown away.

Ammunition: Is this more of a stealth game? yeah. Is it more of a hacking game due to to the fact that you gain huge monetary and xp bonuses? yeah. However, I just did a lethal run and I have to say that there is a LOT of ammo for certain weapons and less for some others. The game tries to have a kind of controlled violence. I found that if you really chose your spots you can use controlled bursts with most weapons and have plenty of ammo left, and this is in keeping with the fact that on no difficulty level can you run out in the open unless you want to get turned into swiss cheese. Maybe people should preface their lament over lack of ammo with the fact that they wanted to go full postal, because saying there is not enough ammo is straight up false.

enemy ai: are the enemies part of a recessive gene pool? probably. Do they seem to lack a sense of self preservation by walking into corners without any back up? definitely. But this is a game. When two guys come, youre basically fucked, and thats not fun. In some play styles you can stealth away, but in some you can't. It can make it a bit easy sometimes, but it is just the lubricant of the game itself.

FStop7

Banned
Finished at nearly 40 hours, but I think that's high by about 8 because I forgot to quit the game before I went to bed one night.

I thought it was a great game overall. Definitely has its share of flaws. It's too linear. It's (mostly) too easy. The plot has weaknesses, especially the endgame. But it's still probably the best overall experience I've had since the original Deus Ex.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
aeolist said:
A few grenades and 10mm armor piercing headshots made it easy as fuck

Pistol is OP
A few? A single stun round + Gas Grenade. You can also do it with only stun rounds, which made it even better(No hostile at all).

Its funny because the first time through, I came out with an entire route to take out everyone. When I can just cheese it to the max. God I love weak-ass AI.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
aeolist said:
A few grenades and 10mm armor piercing headshots made it easy as fuck

Pistol is OP

Pistol(s) - 10mm with armor piercing and silencer laser sighted... quite death
revolver with explosive rounds reload and ammo cap maxed + laser sight = everything dies.

I just don't understand how they could not have play tested these down a little...

Card Boy

Banned
Where is
Bill Taggart
on the last level? I have already talked to
David Sarif.
Do i keep going towards the yellow X where that
Gas room
room is? Try to remain as spoil free as possible. Just am i on the right track?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Wallach said:
It's just speed. You need to eliminate all of the targets faster. Kill that box guard the second it drops into the fight with an EMP grenade or mine, it does the most damage.

As for Typhoon, the revolver is great but the Typhoon is in a different class. Especially against bosses. I probably won't get it next playthrough.

I guess that makes sense ...
i went silenced 10mm most of the fight but rocked the robot with 2 of the triggered blue explosives. And i know the typhoon is wicked strong (instant death to anything on level 2) but the revolver shoots grenades as fast as you can pull the trigger.. holds up to 9 rounds, reloads in seconds and can apply that firepower over distance... no need to get close or be sneaky to make it work like the typhoon... of course.. like i said... i never had to even USE the typhoon.. cause the rest of the game is just so fuckin easy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gez said:
Where is
Bill Taggart
on the last level? I have already talked to
David Sarif.
Do i keep going towards the yellow X where that
Gas room
room is? Try to remain as spoil free as possible. Just am i on the right track?

IIRC he's quite a few floors above sarif. I don't think he's near the yellow X.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
_tetsuo_ said:
I was never even seen
Nor was I.

:p
Another little thing I found out a few days ago
Stun gun works on Cameras without making an alarm. They reset after about 10 seconds, but it lets you do a quick hack or move pass. Not like you really need it, but its nice.

Cartman86

Banned
shintoki said:
I remember so many whining about Zhao's Office being too hard.

Done in less than a minute, Deus Ex Difficulty.
EC1702F82C6F12E16602A0CA47997FA365DB94AE

Got it on second try after deciding it was too hard to stealth, but it's funny that my game looked exactly the same.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Onion_Relish said:
Here are some things that I would like people to consider:

The endings: Are the endings perfect? not at all. Does the game goad you into quickly saving just so you can see them all? kinda. But think of that moment when you
are first presented all of the endings by eliza
. Wasnt that moment orgasmic? I was utterly blown away.

Ammunition: Is this more of a stealth game? yeah. Is it more of a hacking game due to to the fact that you gain huge monetary and xp bonuses? yeah. However, I just did a lethal run and I have to say that there is a LOT of ammo for certain weapons and less for some others. The game tries to have a kind of controlled violence. I found that if you really chose your spots you can use controlled bursts with most weapons and have plenty of ammo left, and this is in keeping with the fact that on no difficulty level can you run out in the open unless you want to get turned into swiss cheese. Maybe people should preface their lament over lack of ammo with the fact that they wanted to go full postal, because saying there is not enough ammo is straight up false.

enemy ai: are the enemies part of a recessive gene pool? probably. Do they seem to lack a sense of self preservation by walking into corners without any back up? definitely. But this is a game. When two guys come, youre basically fucked, and thats not fun. In some play styles you can stealth away, but in some you can't. It can make it a bit easy sometimes, but it is just the lubricant of the game itself.

Seems like your trying to hard to argue for the game... The endings.. when she presented them to me.. did not blow me away at all because i already KNEW what the options were via talking to all these people and playing the game. Ammo... i never even considered it a point or issue... i never ran low on anything besides 10mm and i alternated between super stealthy and straight mass murderer on varying occasions. And the AI ... well... it's just garbage. The first silencer you get basically ruins the game.

It's fun... but the complaints are valid. And at points.. numerous.

I didn't intend to play through the game as non-lethal, but I seem to always take that route. I've got loads and loads of pistol and revolver and shotgun ammo that I never use...haha. Going around killing everybody just doesn't seem in Jenson's character to me, and my initial runthrough I'm trying to play as "in character" as possible. Later playthroughs will yield more options. :)

Top Bottom