• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Wallach

Eppy Thatcher said:
I guess that makes sense ...
i went silenced 10mm most of the fight but rocked the robot with 2 of the triggered blue explosives. And i know the typhoon is wicked strong (instant death to anything on level 2) but the revolver shoots grenades as fast as you can pull the trigger.. holds up to 9 rounds, reloads in seconds and can apply that firepower over distance... no need to get close or be sneaky to make it work like the typhoon... of course.. like i said... i never had to even USE the typhoon.. cause the rest of the game is just so fuckin easy.

I know, I had a max-upgraded 10mm and revolver in my own game. Thing is while you're actually doing the Typhoon thing you're invincible. So for all of the bosses you can pretty much just mash the Typhoon button and they will die without you ever having the chance to even take damage. Nothing is remotely as effective against the bosses (sans final boss) as the Typhoon.

See example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt_SOOpxo9Q

Wallach said:
I just left at that part. Nobody ever saw me.

Protip: Put down a gas grenade or concussion grenade before you trigger the cutscene. When everyone walks in you will either get all non-lethals or everyone will be stunned and you can kill most of them with a single rocket. Pretty awesome to watch everyone going flying.

Kyoufu said:
After a couple hours of gaming in this game, I do like it a lot, but...

So many lies, so many lies...

How is this game played the way you want? Its a stealth game. Want to shoot everyone? Yeah, good luck keeping your ammo count up.

Its a stealth game.

This is bullshit, because I did shoot everyone and never ran out of ammo.

The key is headshots and realizing your pistol defeats everything. Can't remember how many times guards would come through a door, and my pistol would share their thoughts against the wall with 1 shot.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gez said:
After the LIMB clinic?

I believe so. How did you get to sarif? I jumped down a giant hole from an outside area. To get to Taggart I went back to that outside area and went upward.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Onion_Relish said:
Protip: Put down a gas grenade or concussion grenade before you trigger the cutscene. When everyone walks in you will either get all non-lethals or everyone will be stunned and you can kill most of them with a single rocket. Pretty awesome to watch everyone going flying.
I was thinking that too, but I didn't have the mine templates. They group in a circle, so I was figuring if I put two gas mines on each end. It'd take out the whole lot. Or if I just throw one right at them. But I believe I got hostile on that one.

inky

Kyoufu said:
After a couple hours of gaming in this game, I do like it a lot, but...

So many lies, so many lies...

How is this game played the way you want? Its a stealth game. Want to shoot everyone? Yeah, good luck keeping your ammo count up.

Its a stealth game.

I was a stealth char all the way (didn't even lvld typhoon or recoil augs. and by the end of the game I was carrying like 5 different guns and there are some I didn't even get to try like:

Rocket launcher, plasma rifle, crossbow, 2nd sniper rifle model, revolver, combat rifle, machinegun, etc.

There are plenty of weaps/ammo options and most are OP. It's not Halo, you still require some traversal stuff/hacking but there's plenty of ammo for the enemies/bosses.

shintoki said:
I was thinking that too, but I didn't have the mine templates. They group in a circle, so I was figuring if I put two gas mines on each end. It'd take out the whole lot. Or if I just throw one right at them. But I believe I got hostile on that one.

They actually group as a circle shortly AFTER the conversation ends. That being said, they dont all come through in the same time. The scouts come first in a large group with a smaller group of heavies bringing up the rear. Even if they are all in the circle a well place rocket will actually blow up almost everyone. Like i said, cool to see them all blow away

Finally. 1000/1000.

2 playthroughs.

2nd one was a speed run to get Pacifist/Legend.

I'm done with the game now.

Zhao's office was easy too.
Cloak + gas grenade x2.

rofl

Turfster

Okay... that was... intense.
Just managed to save Malik and actually keep my pacifist run going with my little stungun. LOTS of frantic dragging away from the exploding box guard and dodging hails of bullets, trying to make it in time...

Turfster said:
Okay... that was... intense.
Just managed to save Malik and actually keep my pacifist run going with my little stungun. LOTS of frantic dragging away from the exploding box guard and dodging hails of bullets, trying to make it in time...

Saving Malik is really easy if you have cloak, 5 or so gas grenades, and the stungun.

Turfster

Adam Blade said:
Saving Malik is really easy if you have cloak, 5 or so gas grenades, and the stungun.
Yeah... I thought I had gas grenades... 'oops'.
I... seem to be missing a few bodies though... does the box guard explosion *vaporise* bodies too? (I've seen it kill a guy in my first attempt, but his corpse was still there.)

Turfster said:
Yeah... I thought I had gas grenades... 'oops'.
I... seem to be missing a few bodies though... does the box guard explosion *vaporise* bodies too? (I've seen it kill a guy in my first attempt)

The explosion shouldn't vaporize the bodies. I counted 10 when I did my Pacifist run. Checked them all twice to make sure they were all asleep.

Turfster

Adam Blade said:
The explosion shouldn't vaporize the bodies. I counted 10 when I did my Pacifist run. Checked them all twice to make sure they were all asleep.
Oh, I've got 10 bodies left. I guess a couple got repopped. Did you do your pacifist run on Give me Deus Ex?

Turfster said:
Oh, I've got 10 bodies left. I guess a couple got repopped. Did you do your pacifist run on Give me Deus Ex?

Yeah. My first playthrough was on normal and I didn't realize that killing the people in the prologue counted. I probably spent about 45 hours doing all the sidequests and stuff and got the Foxiest achievement. Second was on Give me Deus Ex and it probably took about 15 hours or so. I really sped through it and got Pacifist the second time around.

Turfster

Heh, sounds like me. My first was on normal too
I just ran like fuck in the Malik bit like she told me to and then I found the corpse... It was... pretty hard to stay pacifist after that...but I managed (as far as I knew)
and I got tripped up by the prologue killings too. Now I'm redoing a gimme deus ex run and it's going a LOT faster (and for some reason, I've also got a shitload more praxis. I'm at the same amout I was at the end of my normal run I think by now, and you know where I am ;)

Turfster said:
Heh, sounds like me. My first was on normal too
I just ran like fuck in the Malik bit like she told me to and then I found the corpse... It was... pretty hard to stay pacifist after that...but I managed (as far as I knew)
and I got tripped up by the prologue killings too. Now I'm redoing a gimme deus ex run and it's going a LOT faster (and for some reason, I've also got a shitload more praxis. I'm at the same amout I was at the end of my normal run I think by now, and you know where I am ;)

Well, have fun beating the rest of the game. It's pretty awesome how much smoother everything goes the second time around since you know how to cheese beat the bosses and whatnot.

Card Boy

Banned
Just clocked it. 33.8 hours

Heres my final Augs

uCeKZ.jpg

Game has too many Praxis points. Way too many, they should of gone to the Deus Ex 1's branching system instead where you get locked out of certain Aug upgrades.

Turfster

Adam Blade said:
Well, have fun beating the rest of the game. It's pretty awesome how much smoother everything goes the second time around since you know how to cheese beat the bosses and whatnot.
My problem is that
I'm soooooooo not looking forward to fucking Panchaea again. It's not that it's hard, it's just those fucking rage-zombies...

Gez said:
Game has too many Praxis points. Way too many, they should of gone to the Deus Ex 1's branching system instead where you get locked out of certain Aug upgrades.

No, they just need to make it so the XP requirement for getting a new praxis point increases with each one. The game is perfectly fine in terms of number of augs if you're playing it casually, but the people who explore every nook and cranny, find every kit in the environment, hack everything and so forth get too much, because they get so much bonus XP showered on them.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Gez said:
Just clocked it. 33.8 hours

Heres my final Augs

http://i.imgur.com/uCeKZ.jpg[img]

Game has too many Praxis points. Way too many, they should of gone to the Deus Ex 1's branching system instead where you get locked out of certain Aug upgrades.[/quote]

I half agree. I found towards the end I was spending praxi points on augments I thought were sort of neat but not incredibly beneficiary by that point in the game (strength and seeing through walls). I wouldn't want things locked out though. That just creates more balancing issues which is already my third largest criticism of the game (shitty boss fights and only two hubs being my major two).

JEKKI

Im in yo house!

stealin yo shyt!!

seriously, going into apartment places is too much fun!!

and hacking is so free, Ive stocked up on hella nukes n stop worms jus coz theyre so easy to get in hack mode!!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
shintoki said:
Nor was I.

:p
Another little thing I found out a few days ago
Stun gun works on Cameras without making an alarm. They reset after about 10 seconds, but it lets you do a quick hack or move pass. Not like you really need it, but its nice.
That could have come in handy a few times, just to make things easier.

Could you hack cameras and turn them off in the original Deus Ex? I want to say yes, but my memory is fuzzy.

Wallach

Dan said:
That could have come in handy a few times, just to make things easier.

Could you hack cameras and turn them off in the original Deus Ex? I want to say yes, but my memory is fuzzy.

Yeah, you could use a multitool on them and shut them down locally, or you could hack the terminal connected to them and turn them off. The UI is actually a little better in the original since you could manually control the camera's view once you hacked the terminal.

Truant

Kinda sucks how you basically become a master of all trades during the game, because I don't really have an incentive to play it again, in terms of playstyle.

Lingitiz

Truant said:
Kinda sucks how you basically become a master of all trades during the game, because I don't really have an incentive to play it again, in terms of playstyle.
Well to be fair you don't really get maxed out at alot of things till near the end of the game anyways, so you'll be able to choose pure combat, stealth, or hacking early on I suppose.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
shintoki said:
I remember so many whining about Zhao's Office being too hard.

were you sitting in airduct and exploiting AI? Because that would explain this shot.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Yay got my 80th platinum with Deus Ex

1 playthrough, multiple saves used for efficiency, took me 4 days total (around 30 hours), with-in a 6 day span (labor day weekend cut into it)

It was a bitch going for Pacifist, Foxiest if the Hounds, and Give me Deux Ex (hardest difficulty) in 1 playthrough, plus juggle different side quests that could risk derailing you from any of those trophies

It started out good, in the middle it got boring, but by the end it left me wanting me more of the outcome
I give it a solid 8/10
(I enjoyed Alpha Protocol more, sue me =/)

overcast

So I assume 35 dollars at TRU is a steal for this game? Based off the impressions in here, and my actual interest, it should go well.

daviyoung

Banned
Finished my first playthrough last night on the hard difficulty, 21 hours, missing 15 or so cheevos, not that it matters. Did a few sidequests, and going back for a second run. Game is really good, but seems like a template (rather a template than a one-off) for more complex, more precise games to follow, whether through a sequel or a spiritual successor.

There are numerous modern games it reminds me of: Bioshock, Half Life 2, Alpha Protocol and Singularity and only on a very few occasions does it feel like its own beast. I haven't played a Deus Ex game since the original all those moons ago so I can't really compare it to that.

My main problem with this game is that the RPG elements are too damn light. By the end you're super human. I had about 8 Praxis points unspent, and didn't feel the need to upgrade at all. I had about 20k in credits and had bought everything I wanted. I had the all-powerful laser rifle and heavy machinegun so could easily just mow through enemies without giving it a second thought. It is possible to upgrade pretty much everything you want to.

Ammo is littered everywhere (energy packs in office desks, really?), and great guns are just left lying there in anticipation of one of the boss battles so firepower really isn't a problem. In fact, because I was a universal solider I had to force myself to sneak around. Stealth is definitely the way to go, it feels much better than balls-out shooting and the takedowns, dragging of bodies etc is really well implemented.

The augs that aren't your standard RPG upgrades feel either under-utilised like the personality checker, which popped onto my HUD maybe four times, or overly-showy like the Icarus landing and its drama-cam. The latter would have been much better left in first person.

Dialogue, story and pacing are all serviceable and par for the course. Nothing outstanding outside of the little details like references to stuff you'd done earlier in the game, or the NPCs' chit-chat when you're roaming a hub world. The over-arching story of global conspiracies, evil corporations and corrupt governments does a good job of emulating its influences from OTT futuristic manga, but comparing it to a movie's story it would fall short of The Matrix: Revolutions. Nonetheless, it's all right, and the music makes it all seem worthwhile.

I think Eidos Montreal have a bright future so long as they focus, delve into the details and don't attempt to make their games too grandiose. The best parts of DX:HR were the small things, not the boss battles, not the guns, and the not the story. There is plenty of room for improvement, and I hope they get on the right track.

NBtoaster

This is crahsing about every hour for me. Seems like I'll have to wait until they fix that soemhow, hopefully along with the stuttering before I can finish it.

Nose Master

Zhao's office was stupid easy.
I immediately tossed a gas grenade and killed most of them. Then I went down the vent, popped out and said hi, returned to the other side of the vent. Tossed another gas grenade to finish off the rest of them bumbling around the other vent entrance.

Narag

Zhao's office?
Tossed a concussion grenade in a corner where i spawned and took the vent around behind them while the entire group advanced.

Narag said:
Zhao's office?
Tossed a concussion grenade in a corner where i spawned and took the vent around behind them while the entire group advanced.

I just cloaked and ran straight past them to the elevator. No resistance.

Well, my platinum run blew up in my face last night. I somehow missed one of the 29 Darrow books and the Foxiest of the Hounds trophy didn't trigger for some reason, even though I'm sure I didn't set off any alarms. :(

Neiteio

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I just cloaked and ran straight past them to the elevator. No resistance.
Ditto. Most badass moment so far. I cloaked my way past them, and as I slipped in the elevator one of the guards goes, "Do you hear someone... running?" I snickered as the elevator doors closed.

_tetsuo_ said:
2nd trip to Detroit was fantastic.
Ditto. The second trip to Detroit was all sorts of amazing. I like looking through the windows on the police baricades and seeing riot control beating their shields and firing into the crowds as the rioters throw firebombs at them.

Solo

They should have included some form of a hardcore mode in this game. The hardest difficulty as it stands is a joke.

Solo said:
They should have included some form of a hardcore mode in this game. The hardest difficulty as it stands is a joke.
Yeah it was a lot easier than I expected, although a large part of that was probably due to me avoiding combat entirely this time around.

Still, I've got no complaints. Difficulty is tough with a stealth game because it's hard to really crank it up without creating purely frustrating situations.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The_Darkest_Red said:
Well, my platinum run blew up in my face last night. I somehow missed one of the 29 Darrow books and the Foxiest of the Hounds trophy didn't trigger for some reason, even though I'm sure I didn't set off any alarms. :(

Trophies/Cheevs do have a point of glitching

On GAF XMB chat I think RUthe1 (just condensed his name) played it 7 times just to get the hard difficulty trophy to appear...insane amount (some other that didn't want to pop for whatever reason)

I got super lucky

Sometime alarms that are mandatory to the story don't count towards it but if you get caught and the alarm gets triggered again it stacks, so no way on knowing =/

GraveRobberX said:
Trophies/Cheevs do have a point of glitching

On GAF XMB chat I think RUthe1 (just condensed his name) played it 7 times just to get the hard difficulty trophy to appear...insane amount (some other that didn't want to pop for whatever reason)

I got super lucky

Sometime alarms that are mandatory to the story don't count towards it but if you get caught and the alarm gets triggered again it stacks, so no way on knowing =/
Well I got Pacifist and I was extremely dedicated to remaining unseen so I have no idea how I didn't get it. There were times when guards became alarmed but it was only for a split-second before I took them out and no one ever triggered an alarm. I had a few cameras go suspicious on me but never hostile. Oh well.

had a LOT of trouble with the first boss. playing on hardest difficulty. took me 9 tries to finally win, despite the combat against regular enemies being pretty easy. someone please tell me how stupid i am, and why:

got the tactical DLC so i have combat rifle + silencer and ammo capacity mods, double barrel + the dual shot and extra damage mods, whisperhead sniper rifle, and revolver. 2 emp grenades and a conc grenade. a few mines. lots of hacking augs, a few inventory upgrade augs, see through walls aug, and no dermal armor yet. (only have 1 praxis to spend)

i tried immediately tossing emp grenade and then shot the barrel. unloaded 1 clip of combat rifle into him, and then frantically tried to run away and take cover from the grenades he threw. i kept fighting with the controls and the cover system because i needed to quickly escape and then take cover. it would sometimes require me hitting L1 over and over to finally get him to take cover. the same thing happened with throwing grenades. i kept dying because i would hit the button to toss a grenade and either he wouldn't do anything or he'd stick it to the wall he's taking cover on.

i finally got him by tossing EMP, blowing barrel up, unloading a clip of combat rifle, running immediately to his flank and throwing the other 2 barrels at him, throwing another emp, unloading on him again, and then using double barrel two-shot mod at him 2 or 3 times, throwing a conc, and then unloading another combat rifle clip on him. one shotgun shot later and he died. i almost feel like i lucked out because he kept throwing grenades at this one end of the room over and over and over as if he didn't realize i was shooting him from behind.

if i did this bad on the first boss am i going to have even more trouble with the others? any aug and/or weapon suggestions? ALSO: i got S6 after leaving my apartment, so i decided to finish S5 before starting it. it forced me to leave on a helicopter before i got to complete it, and since i left it canceled my S6. god dammit. :mad:

Top Bottom