• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Continuing my blast to the past with Invisible War!

-I've seen murdered a bunch of people for no reason and felt no remorse
-Gone against my superior's direct orders causing them to send mooks to "destroy" me; after killing one mook out of two, my superior called me in the middle of a firefight to say "Well you've escaped this time (???), but maybe THAT will make you think twice about betraying us, now let me give you another mission."
-The physics just get weirder and weirder and the glitches more surreal
-A glitch relating to a quick save forced me to lose a level's worth of progress by rendering it impossible to continue (made possible by a design decision specifically to lock players out from making two choices at once)
-At a certain point within the first "hub" (term used very loosely) the game decides that if you want to really stealth your way through a level you need to forgot not being seen and just accept that you'll have to shoot guards and robots and hope the alert doesn't last too long while you hide in a corner.

That said, the themes presented in the game are better than I remember and pretty much in line with the first, and murdering people in absurd ways and throwing their ragdolls around is easily worth whatever pittance that the game goes for these days.

Rufus

I think the rationale for not rewarding a hostile approach with as much XP is because you don't need it if you're leaning on weapons. There's not that many offensive augments to spend it on, hacking is not as important, as is any other augment that facilitates stealth. Weapons, upgrades for those and maybe money become more important that XP.

EmCeeGramr said:
Continuing my blast to the past with Invisible War!

-I've seen murdered a bunch of people for no reason and felt no remorse
-Gone against my superior's direct orders causing them to send mooks to "destroy" me; after killing one mook out of two, my superior called me in the middle of a firefight to say "Well you've escaped this time (???), but maybe THAT will make you think twice about betraying us, now let me give you another mission."
-The physics just get weirder and weirder and the glitches more surreal
-A glitch relating to a quick save forced me to lose a level's worth of progress by rendering it impossible to continue (made possible by a design decision specifically to lock players out from making two choices at once)
-At a certain point within the first "hub" (term used very loosely) the game decides that if you want to really stealth your way through a level you need to forgot not being seen and just accept that you'll have to shoot guards and robots and hope the alert doesn't last too long while you hide in a corner.

That said, the themes presented in the game are better than I remember and pretty much in line with the first, and murdering people in absurd ways and throwing their ragdolls around is easily worth whatever pittance that the game goes for these days.
Haha

Anyone know if it's back compat on the 360?

Rufus said:
I think the rationale for not rewarding a hostile approach with as much XP is because you don't need it if you're leaning on weapons. There's not that many offensive augments to spend it on, hacking is not as important, as is any other augment that facilitates stealth. Weapons, upgrades for those and maybe money become more important that XP.
That's a good point, actually. I just don't think the game is that fun to play as a straight up shooter, mostly due to how much scrounging around you have to do just to get a decent amount of ammo.

Salaadin

Evolved1 said:
As far as the wall tap... I jump in place. But the best tool in the game is to just throw something at a wall. The guards will walk toward it, right past you, without noticing. Discovering this, broke the game a bit more.

Lol. I jumped in place too. It works but I do prefer a back to the wall tap from behind cover.

I noticed a few times where I would throw an item and the enemies would come to me wherever I threw it from and not wherever the item landed. I kinda liked that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Salaadin said:
Lol. I jumped in place too. It works but I do prefer a back to the wall tap from behind cover.

I noticed a few times where I would throw an item and the enemies would come to me wherever I threw it from and not wherever the item landed. I kinda liked that.

Well, sometimes they come to the spot you threw it from... but if you move away, you have the advantage again.

Kinyou

Salaadin said:
It definitely helped my urge for MGS style stealth though. Its a very, very good first effort.
To be honest, it was the first 1st person stealth game that I could fully enjoy. That truly is an accomplishment.

Sullichin

Beat the game last night. Just a wonderful game, one of my favorite this gen. I want more games like this to exist.

My biggest complaint isn't the boss fights (although I wouldn't say they were good, I don't think they were detrimental to my experience really), but the last area of the game. Just wasted potential.
It looked very cool but there's hardly anything to do except find Taggart and Sarif. I would have loved one last compound to sneak through, because Singapore was great

Now that I think about it, a lot of my favorite games this gen are a little lacking in the endgame dept. Oh well

Rufus

I have a question about hacking. Occasionally you run across this:

How do you get the goodies behind the red node? Capturing it is of course a successful hack and boots you from the screen. What am I missing here?

Sullichin said:
Beat the game last night. Just a wonderful game, one of my favorite this gen. I want more games like this to exist.

My biggest complaint isn't the boss fights (although I wouldn't say they were good, I don't think they were detrimental to my experience really), but the last area of the game. Just wasted potential.
It looked very cool but there's hardly anything to do except find Taggart and Sarif. I would have loved one last compound to sneak through, because Singapore was great

Now that I think about it, a lot of my favorite games this gen are a little lacking in the endgame dept. Oh well
My feelings on the
final mission changed towards the positive last night when I played through it for the second time (I liked it okay to begin with). I was using the strategy guide and doing the pure stealth route and it was actually really cool sneaking through the entire level without any of the crazies seeing or hearing you. There were a lot of interesting paths that I didn't find my first time through that made the level seem a lot more enjoyable to me. Blasting through all of the crazies wasn't nearly as interesting.

Sullichin

The_Darkest_Red said:
My feelings on the
final mission changed towards the positive last night when I played through it for the second time (I liked it okay to begin with). I was using the strategy guide and doing the pure stealth route and it was actually really cool sneaking through the entire level without any of the crazies seeing or hearing you. There were a lot of interesting paths that I didn't find my first time through that made the level seem a lot more enjoyable to me. Blasting through all of the crazies wasn't nearly as interesting.

I just
ran past them and tazed them when they got too close. they barely pose a threat so I saw no reason to go full out stealth (wasn't going for an achievement). It makes sense to be stealthy throughout the rest of the game because the enemies can just wreck you. With these zombie like enemies, it seemed to make more sense to just run past them because they aren't really doing much. Would have much preferred if this area had at least SOME normal enemies.

Rufus

Zenith said:
Capturing the ICE automatically gives you every bonus on the grid.
Hahaha, wow. How did I miss that? Thanks.

Sullichin said:
Many developers still have massive problems assessing what it takes to build the games they're imagining before they've actually started the process. Eidos Montreal noticed that they don't have the resources and time to build all the hubs they had planned after Detroit was finished.
It's odd, considering how often you hear developers lament how assets creation for HD games has become so costly.

Kinyou

What I think is a bit sad is that basically all decisions can go only two ways. I had planned to do a Rambo playthrough after i'm done, but then the third pacifist walkthrough would just be boring so I decided to do that one right away.

cackhyena

I know I've asked this before, but I don't think I got an answer. The main menu music. Is that available anywhere? It's really hard for me to just start the game...every damn time. I just like listening to it.

Solo

ezekial45 said:
I do have to say that
when the original Deus Ex theme played
after the end credits, i got chills.

It just totally affirms how much better the DX1 score is. Not to say that HR's score is bad, far from it, but the DX1 theme blasting through affects like no other. Because it has actual themes and motifs, not just ambience.

Just finished it and thought it was a great time throughout. Obviously the praxis system was broken and I loath the 3rd person cover system which simultaneously broke the gunplay and stealth. However that didn't take away too much from the freedom the game offered, it's certainly the only thing that's come out in the last 10 years which comes close to the original in that regard. I also felt it was really well paced, ine more hub city would have been nice but I don't feel short-changed.

I did somehow get screwed out of my no-alarms run though, for the life of me I can't figure how I set any alarms off.

Sullichin

cackhyena said:
I know I've asked this before, but I don't think I got an answer. The main menu music. Is that available anywhere? It's really hard for me to just start the game...every damn time. I just like listening to it.

It's in the augmented edition OST, so, there's this thing called the internet

Sober

Zenith said:
Plus you can only capture them if they aren't active (i.e. you are undetected or you use a slow worm to turn them off momentarily and try to capture it)

Jerk

Banned
Man, this game exceeded all my expectations.

So good.

Not sure what they were thinking with the Praxis system though.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Solo said:
It just totally affirms how much better the DX1 score is. Not to say that HR's score is bad, far from it, but the DX1 theme blasting through affects like no other. Because it has actual themes and motifs, not just ambience.
I think that bit is purely a play on nostalgia. I doubt it would have the same effect on people who didn't play DX1, or weren't fans of it.

The DXHR soundtrack has themes and motifs at times too. It just leaves it out in favor of ambience at certain points.

Clydefrog

Finished the game last night. Took 30 hours to beat. I finished the game without ever using Typhoon or Cloak. Still ended up with just about every aug though. Great game! Really felt like a modern Deus Ex

Solo

Akuun said:
I think that bit is purely a play on nostalgia. I doubt it would have the same effect on people who didn't play DX1, or weren't fans of it.

Pretty sure you are wrong here. Nostalgia can get you past graphics and janky gameplay, yes. But if the music wasn't good in 2000, it wouldn't be good now. The music was one of the best gaming scores ever in 2000, and surprise(!), it still is.

Akuun

Solo said:
Pretty sure you are wrong here. Nostalgia can get you past graphics and janky gameplay, yes. But if the music wasn't good in 2000, it wouldn't be good now. The music was one of the best gaming scores ever in 2000, and surprise(!), it still is.
I agree that the music is great, but what I'm saying is that nostalgia plays a part in creating the chills and excitement when the music kicks in.

Wallach

Solo said:

He's saying the reason the guy "got chills" is because he understands the context of the DX1 theme playing at that moment. If you haven't heard the theme before it's not going to do anything to hear it play for a handful of seconds in the same way.

Sciz

Clevinger said:
It's weird. I've played Deus Ex probably five or more times and I don't remember a thing about the soundtrack.
A lot of the best tracks are the combat themes which unfortunately don't come up in-game much, and even less often for their full duration.

Solo said:
I got chills when the HR theme kicked in during the credits but felt nothing when I heard DX1's theme. I've never played the game so to me it was just another song. A good song, sure, but I still think nostalgia is a factor for a lot of people here when the soundtrack (or anything, really) in these two games gets compared.

Solo

Wallach said:
He's saying the reason the guy "got chills" is because he understands the context of the DX1 theme playing at that moment. If you haven't heard the theme before it's not going to do anything to hear it play for a handful of seconds in the same way.

I know what hes saying, but I still disagree. Its a completely different style than the rest of the score. Its punchier and rousing and I think even DX newbs would get juiced from it.

And "a handful of seconds"? The entire song plays.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The main theme from Deus Ex is extremely cheesy but I listen to it often. it felt awesome to hear it wrapping a true successor of the original game. I mean if I heard it in IW I would puke or break something.

Weird thing is a few of the radios play the old Deus Ex Unatco theme in between talk show segments, so it's kind of weird they used it again at the end as though it was some kind of surprise. I did think it was really cool when I heard it on the radio.

Sotha Sil

I'm playing DX HR right now, and I couldn't tell you what the music sounds like. It's nice, but it's... just there. I don't know if DX1's soundtrack is better, but it's much more memorable.

Sullichin said:
I just
ran past them and tazed them when they got too close. they barely pose a threat so I saw no reason to go full out stealth (wasn't going for an achievement). It makes sense to be stealthy throughout the rest of the game because the enemies can just wreck you. With these zombie like enemies, it seemed to make more sense to just run past them because they aren't really doing much. Would have much preferred if this area had at least SOME normal enemies.
What difficulty did you play in?
A group of crazies can mess you up pretty quickly if they get you surrounded in Give Me Deus Ex...

Wallach

Solo said:
I know what hes saying, but I still disagree. Its a completely different style than the rest of the score. Its punchier and rousing and I think even DX newbs would get juiced from it.

And "a handful of seconds"? The entire song plays.

It does if you sit there and listen to it while the game waits for you to hit ESC to get out of the ending, yeah. At that point the whole sequence is over though.

Akuun

subversus said:
I mean if I heard it in IW I would puke or break something.
That was kind of my reaction when I heard "Come with me if you want to live" and "I'll be back" in the newest Terminator movie. XD

Kinyou

Solo said:
I really don't like the main theme. It sounds like something done for the S-NES or something else with limited sound capabilities. I mean it would be okay if the game was from the mid-90s but remember, only a year later came already MGS 2

The_Darkest_Red said:
A group of crazies can mess you up pretty quickly if they get you surrounded in Give Me Deus Ex...
I had a bug that the
crazies wouldn't attack me, no matter what I do; only a restart of the game fixed that.
Maybe he had the same bug?

Wallach

Kinyou said:
I really don't like the main theme. It sounds like something done for the S-NES or something else with limited sound capabilities. I mean it would be okay if the game was from the mid-90s but remember, only a year later came alreadyMGS 2

It's a great composition, but all of the tracks have that sound because they're UMX. Unreal, baby.

Akuun

The_Darkest_Red said:
That bit is when the
PEPS
really starts to come in handy. Barring that, I had to
mash a few double takedowns in quick succession. It burned a few cells off of me every time I was surrounded by crazies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Akuun said:
That was kind of my reaction when I heard "Come with me if you want to live" and "I'll be back" in the newest Terminator movie. XD

damn, don't remind me about this.

Akuun said:
That bit is when the
PEPS
really starts to come in handy. Barring that, I had to
mash a few double takedowns in quick succession. It burned a few cells off of me every time I was surrounded by crazies.
My favorite way to do it
on that last stretch with the crazies filled walkway is to get full energy, throw on the cloak, and try to walk right through everyone without touching any of them. It's pretty intense and you feel awesome once you get to the other side.

garath

Zenith said:

Lol. I didn't know that either. That would have made hacking a LOT easier.

Guess it's for the best. Hacking was already pretty easy in the end.

Neuromancer said:
Weird thing is a few of the radios play the old Deus Ex Unatco theme in between talk show segments, so it's kind of weird they used it again at the end as though it was some kind of surprise. I did think it was really cool when I heard it on the radio.
The UNATCO theme is also mixed into the intro at Sarif, when you're walking into Sarif's office.

subversus said:
The main theme from Deus Ex is extremely cheesy but I listen to it often. it felt awesome to hear it wrapping a true successor of the original game. I mean if I heard it in IW I would puke or break something.

It... kinda was though.

Top Bottom